Xbox One v. PS4

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
I'll wait for the Steam Box...

If I find myself in need of a next gen console before the Steam Box I'd probably get a PS4
I thought this was a joke and was going to play along, then I looked it up and found out how real this actually was! It's too bad development will never get past the 3rd stage.

Lupus_Stevens

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
This thread wasn't about the Wii-U, which will obviously move less units than the Xbox One or PS4. I was seeing what people thought about the two top selling consoles, which will provide the most heated debate and interesting conversation.
The Wii sold more than 20 million more units than the xbox360 or PS3, so how can you say that the Wii-U is going to sell the worst? Of course it's still struggling because there have been very little games released.

Another problem I have with this thread is the incredible circlejerk against Xbox one. It would be nice if everyone would stop complaining about Microsoft simply because everyone else is. You shouldn't base your opinion solely on what others have said on the internet.

The WiiU has had a miserable amount of sales compared to the Wii. Where the Wii sold 435,000 units in January 2007, in the US, two months after its launch, the WiiU has sold 57,000 units in January 2013, in the US, two months after its launch. And most of the posts I can see hatin' on the Xbox One provide justification for their opinion, mine included.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
This thread wasn't about the Wii-U, which will obviously move less units than the Xbox One or PS4. I was seeing what people thought about the two top selling consoles, which will provide the most heated debate and interesting conversation.
The Wii sold more than 20 million more units than the xbox360 or PS3, so how can you say that the Wii-U is going to sell the worst? Of course it's still struggling because there have been very little games released.

Another problem I have with this thread is the incredible circlejerk against Xbox one. It would be nice if everyone would stop complaining about Microsoft simply because everyone else is. You shouldn't base your opinion solely on what others have said on the internet.

The WiiU has had a miserable amount of sales compared to the Wii. Where the Wii sold 435,000 units in January 2007, in the US, two months after its launch, the WiiU has sold 57,000 units in January 2013, in the US, two months after its launch. And most of the posts I can see hatin' on the Xbox One provide justification for their opinion, mine included.
1. Read what I said - I expect that the sales of the WiiU will increase once titles as mario kart 8, SSB, new zelda, etc... come out. I want to buy a Wii U too, but I am still waiting until more Nintendo exclusives are released.

2. I was not saying that they didn't provide justification. That's not the point. It's just that everyone is saying that xbox messed it up etc.. and that many people are just agreeing because everyone on the internet is. It's pretty clear that it's a one sided PS4 thread if you look at how people reacted to when Alpha said that he was thinking about getting an XB1.

Lupus_Stevens

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score

1. Read what I said - I expect that the sales of the WiiU will increase once titles as mario kart 8, SSB, new zelda, etc... come out. I want to buy a Wii U too, but I am still waiting until more Nintendo exclusives are released.

2. I was not saying that they didn't provide justification. That's not the point. It's just that everyone is saying that xbox messed it up etc.. and that many people are just agreeing because everyone on the internet is. It's pretty clear that it's a one sided PS4 thread if you look at how people reacted to when Alpha said that he was thinking about getting an XB1.
But if the opinions are justified, then it might just be that people dislike the Xbox One because it looks like it's going to suck? Seems a bit more realistic than some anti-Microsoft mass hysteria...

Reactions: radman573

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Just pitching in briefly

• Wii-U - main problem is that they aren't marketing it, practically at all. This might be because they're waiting for any games to start but its been out so long that I think they may have shot themselves in the foot, to advertise it this late would just look flatout suspicious. Nintendo really didn't pull off the release as well as they could have.
  • Xbox 1 - Without joining into the circlejerk, microsoft just ran straight into a brick wall. From almost all sides, as far as gaming consoles go Xbox one has lost this round already unless Sony is waiting until a later date to reveal any Playstation failings, the fact is that they seem to have ignored every opinion of their core market and now they're reaping what they've sown. The most damning of this was their executive saying if you have no internet access "we have a device for this - xbox 360". Essentially they've done exactly what EA did as a company and ignored the mass-market opinion, and EA have just admitted they're trying to make up for this/regain their reputation.
  • PS4 - Suspiciously well played, have so far capitalized on microsoft's failure and seem to have come out ontop in all polls. Want to see something cringeworthy? watch the crowds response to the xbox one price vs the ps4 price - and this is just the priceline.
Now, honestly i suspect that playstation 4 is holding back the worst till last and letting people ramp up support for it. But so far they've quite literally wiped the floor with Xbox one, i will be surprised if it can come back from this. The circlejerk is somewhat the same as the anti-EA circlejerk that is, it might be a circlejerk but there is some core reasons its exists. Enforcing DRM and raising prices is a incredibly poor combination if you're trying to please gamers in any shape or form.

Jolterino

'_>'
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Just pitching in briefly
  • Xbox 1 - Without joining into the circlejerk, microsoft just ran straight into a brick wall. From almost all sides, as far as gaming consoles go Xbox one has lost this round already unless Sony is waiting until a later date to reveal any Playstation failings, the fact is that they seem to have ignored every opinion of their core market and now they're reaping what they've sown. The most damning of this was their executive saying if you have no internet access "we have a device for this - xbox 360". Essentially they've done exactly what EA did as a company and ignored the mass-market opinion, and EA have just admitted they're trying to make up for this/regain their reputation.
Just adding that Xbox one won't be avaliable for use on release and that they plan to expand to other parts of Asia late 2014. http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/12/xbox-one-supported-xbox-live-countries-listed/

DSiGameMaster

Reaction score
Wow,

Tough choice. I'd say I'm going with the PlayStation 4. Why? I'm not paying 500 dollars plus a membership that requires wifi 24/7. That's just bullcrap. I really hope the PlayStation 4 does have a feature like Party Chat, though. Or else i'm going to be really pissed of. (Does PS3 already have a party chat function?) But anyways, I'm going to miss though getting map packs months later.

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score

I don't understand; does hating a terrible product turn into a circlejerk if multiple people share the same opinion? I, for one, was not influenced by the internet, instead doing my own research as I'm sure most others have done.

ZombiePineapple

The Hell Raiser
Reaction score
Wow,

Tough choice. I'd say I'm going with the PlayStation 4. Why? I'm not paying 500 dollars plus a membership that requires wifi 24/7. That's just bullcrap. I really hope the PlayStation 4 does have a feature like Party Chat, though. Or else i'm going to be really pissed of. (Does PS3 already have a party chat function?) But anyways, I'm going to miss though getting map packs months later.
I have a PS3 but I don't think there is a party chat function on the current console but if Sony really wants to "slap" Microsoft in the face they should add Party Chat in the PS4

Edgar Harford

Reaction score
I'll wait for the Steam Box...

If I find myself in need of a next gen console before the Steam Box I'd probably get a PS4
I thought this was a joke and was going to play along, then I looked it up and found out how real this actually was! It's too bad development will never get past the 3rd stage.

Death to the none believer!!!

I hope this will change your mind...

Reactions: Araidian

115Predator

Reaction score
In short: PS4 > XboxOne

I highly disapprove of the XboxOne and I hope many people intend to boycott it (which seems to be promising). I find it absolutely ridiculous that they're placing restrictions on used games. I also don't understand the purpose of needing to be online every 24 hours in order to use the system; offline games have no use for an online connection yet they will be unplayable without the online authentication. I really hope Microsoft make some big changes to the console, otherwise I can only see them become increasingly unpopular. I have lost much respect to Microsoft.

I don't agree with Sony's decision to charge people to play online, but people have said that there are benefits for paying for it (I assume it's much like Xbox Live) so I can't say much about that. But I'm glad that they're not placing restrictions on used games like with the XboxOne.

From what I understand about the WiiU, it's significantly weaker than the two other 8th gen consoles. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up buying it at some point; there are quite a bit of games that are appealing to me. Mentioning a Nintendo console in this sort of discussion feels a bit off though; Nintendo's consoles seems to be, in a way, separated from this competition between Xbox, PS and, to a greater extent, PC; the experience you get from playing Nintendo's consoles is quite different from the other three options.

That's my opinion as of now. Though primarily being a PC gamer, I'm still interested to see how this next-gen console competition will develop.

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
Isn't that an overstatement? I don't see how supporting one console by one game company can completely change the world. Microsoft doesnt represent the entire gaming industry. Don't forget Steam, which they run off digital purchases. They haven't had a huge backlash, which is probably because they allowed an offline mode. Microsoft is pushing for a digital world, but the online aspect was done in the wrong way. I agree with that, I really do.

As for the kinect always being on, that's false. It can turn off when you want it to. So you only need it on when you want to use its functionality. Source: http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-kinect-privacy-concerns-turn-it-off-511759241

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Isn't that an overstatement? I don't see how supporting one console by one game company can completely change the world. Microsoft doesnt represent the entire gaming industry. Don't forget Steam, which they run off digital purchases. They haven't had a huge backlash, which is probably because they allowed an offline mode. Microsoft is pushing for a digital world, but the online aspect was done in the wrong way. I agree with that, I really do.

As for the kinect always being on, that's false. It can turn off when you want it to. So you only need it on when you want to use its functionality. Source: http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-kinect-privacy-concerns-turn-it-off-511759241

You still have to have your Kinect always into your system, on or off. So if your kinect breaks, but your console works, your screwed out of using your working console.

115Predator

Reaction score

XboxOne may be one console, but it has a large playerbase. Buying the XboxOne basically gives Microsoft the message that players find the restrictions acceptable ,which in reality is largely false, which would inevitably lead them to maintain or perhaps even add more restrictions for future generations of their consoles. By not buying the XboxOne, they will get the message that they screwed up somewhere and, hopefully, listen to the players.

• Agree
Reactions: Notme

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
Could I see where you found that piece of information? I checked a few sources but nothing like that came up. (About the Kinect breaking)

And I must remind you that my original point was that you are in control of when the kinect is on or off, so it's not 24/7 surveillance.

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
Fair point predator, I will concede on that one. I think its just my personality, I mean I can see why everyone is willing to refuse to buy it to set a standard. I really do.

To me I purchase a console for entertainment, and the drawbacks don't bother me. And I am hardly ingrained in these new online sites like instagram or snap chat or something, so I wasn't drawn in by the social integration. I checked the titles that are confirmed for Xbox One and PS4, 7 that I would buy on Xbox One, and two I would buy for PS4, which both are multi-platform. To me I just want to play games, and I'm willing to accept the risk of a connect once every 24 hours. My home rarely goes without internet, much less for over 24 hours.

Again, I'm speaking on a personal level. I'm not going to defend its flaws, just clear up misconceptions. I think the 24 hour online thing is unnecessary, I won't use the kinect, and I realize a lot of people are hit hard by the trade-in limits. I'm just willing to live with those flaws.

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score

All I'm stating is that when companies see that;

1.) They are able to make the console the way THEY want it, not the way the customer wants
2.) They are able to profit off of it (sell lots of copies)

They continue to make consoles with their rules whether the consumer likes it or not - until eventually other companies realize they can do what they want without facing a consumer backlash - not boycotting the Xbox One's DRM and used-games policy is simply ridiculous and quite frankly a slap in the face of gamers everywhere that value a say in the product they buy (in terms of the gaming world - however, this can also be applied elsewhere).

While the Xbox has its perks, supporting this DRM bullsh- and used games policy is just encouraging them to not listen to us, the ones that actually buy their product and the ones that should be able to influence it the most!

EDIT: This kinda crap.

Edgar Harford

Reaction score

All I'm stating is that when companies see that;

1.) They are able to make the console the way THEY want it, not the way the customer wants
2.) They are able to profit off of it (sell lots of copies)

They continue to make consoles with their rules whether the consumer likes it or not - until eventually other companies realize they can do what they want without facing a consumer backlash - not boycotting the Xbox One's DRM and used-games policy is simply ridiculous and quite frankly a slap in the face of gamers everywhere that value a say in the product they buy (in terms of the gaming world - however, this can also be applied elsewhere).

While the Xbox has its perks, supporting this DRM bullsh- and used games policy is just encouraging them to not listen to us, the ones that actually buy their product and the ones that should be able to influence it the most!

I was just about to say that...

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
Chill, that's saying everyone who purchases the xbox one is ridiculous and essentially betrays their fellow gamers. It's almost as if it's getting personal, which I don't like. Attacking Microsoft is one thing, but attacking the people who buy a game console is something else. I'm a bit surprised you decided to make that generalization, considering a number of people will buy it, including me.

Everyone has different views on things in the internet, and generalizations like that are why I rarely get involved in topics that can get controversal. I was planning on staying out after my first couple posts, but then I felt the need to clear something up for some reason. Getting dislikes is also rather odd, because I thought this was a thread to express our opinions and share facts without getting personal. Disagree is different, as I see that as a respectful notion, hence the neutral rating. But a negative rating for an opinion and perspective? Really?

Regardless, I plan on purchasing the Xbox One eventually, and that this topic allows for a little support on Microsoft's side. It is called Xbox One v. PS4. I'm not trying to win anything, because obviously the PS4 has way more supporters. I just like throwing my perspective out there.

Araidian

The Lucario
Reaction score
The thing people don't realize is when they support the Xbox One, they support the death of gaming as we know it. If we head down this trail, eventually used games will be nonexistent as will offline gaming (which is absolutely ridiculous).
Ok so, Chilling, I love you for this.
As controversial as this may sound, I feel this sums up my worries for this new release of the Xbox 1.
For several reasons of course, but there is a idea that I haven't seen brought up and that's the idea of a digital game.
I'm about to get fancy all up in here.

A digital game is basically taking the physical disk of a game and putting it into the hard drive of a console. We all know that. We use this everyday in many forms like DLCs for games. However, the way Xbox utilizes this is a lot different. Much like Steam, you purchase all of your games online, or rather store them into a library. Sounds good so far, until the idea of anti-piracy comes in. The system checks that your game is really YOUR game.
Hell, Steam does this too, but for the PC. The PC isn't a console. The Xbox is.

The traditional PC has lasted how long? Since the 1990s? The PC isn't going ANYWHERE anytime soon. Therefore, having games in a Steam library is a nice investment because Steam is going to stick with the immortal PC.
The Xbox is a console. A console will die given a long period of time and this is what sets the two apart. What Microsoft has said is that they will land over (300,000+?) servers into the Xbox One, but what will happen 20 years from now? What I am afraid of is that over time, the popularity and attention to the Xbox One will diminish.
Guess what? Your games are stored in those servers. If they eventually shut down the 24/7 working servers for the Xbox One for a new console, there goes your games, and your money. At least with the SNES or something, you had a cartridge you could stick in your console at anytime to play. In the future, I strongly doubt those servers that keep your Xbox games working are going to still be there. Steam will still be with the evolving PC so that won't be a problem.

So if you understand my crazy argument, then you can see why I agree with Chilling. The tradition for gaming has been the idea that we can play the game we own at any moment and relive past adventures and fun. From time to time, I like to go back to my Gameboy and plop in Pokemon Emerald. With the Xbox One, it destroys the idea of a physical game for you to play because there's no guarantee that it can even be playable. For Microsoft, there would be no point in funneling money into an obsolete product and it's servers 20 years from now.

td;lr: No guarantee you can access your games in the future because of over complicated restrictions that require constant server maintenance. My brain hurts. I need a nap. Ow.

115Predator

Reaction score
Fair point predator, I will concede on that one. I think its just my personality, I mean I can see why everyone is willing to refuse to buy it to set a standard. I really do.

To me I purchase a console for entertainment, and the drawbacks don't bother me. And I am hardly ingrained in these new online sites like instagram or snap chat or something, so I wasn't drawn in by the social integration. I checked the titles that are confirmed for Xbox One and PS4, 7 that I would buy on Xbox One, and two I would buy for PS4, which both are multi-platform. To me I just want to play games, and I'm willing to accept the risk of a connect once every 24 hours. My home rarely goes without internet, much less for over 24 hours.

Again, I'm speaking on a personal level. I'm not going to defend its flaws, just clear up misconceptions. I think the 24 hour online thing is unnecessary, I won't use the kinect, and I realize a lot of people are hit hard by the trade-in limits. I'm just willing to live with those flaws.
I'm against your decision of buying an XboxOne, but I'll accept that it's your wish to do so; I'll agree to disagree. What ultimately matters is that you'll be satisfied with the product. It's just my opinion that Microsoft is making a bad decision with what they're doing to the XboxOne. I just hope that the players' opinions will be heard and perhaps changes will be made for the better.

• Winner
Reactions: Araidian