Xbox One v. PS4

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score
Hey guys!

The next generation console wars have already started; Xbone (Xbox One) v. the PS4.

To me, the Xbox 360 was the best console of last generation, beating out the PS3 and Wii. However, I'm not really sold on the Xbox One and, quite frankly, I'm leaning towards a PS4. (I already have a Wii and I don't think the Wii-U is different enough to warrant a purchase).

The Xbox One has been announced at a $499 price tag off the bat, seemingly high but you have to remember each console has a ~$100 kinect sensor built into it. No price has been announced for the PS4 yet.

Discuss!

CaptainCake

Captain of all things sweet and savoury
Donor
Reaction score
"The Xbox One has been announced at a $499 price tag off the bat, seemingly high..."
If you think that's high, in Australia it'd probably be $4999! It's actually $599 RRP in Australia, and the US price converted to Australian Dollars is $526. Where did that extra $70 come from?!?!!?

On topic, I'd choose the PS4 over the Xbox One, although I might be a bit biased as I currently have a PS3 and have never owned an Xbox. The fact that the Xbox One requires an internet connection at least once a day to play games is pretty off-putting (you can't even play single-player games), and also Microsoft's new Terms of Use are pretty dodgy: "You should not expect any level of privacy" (linky). I don't have to list all of my issues with the Xbox One, because this image does it for me (all information was taken from the official website):
So that's just my 2 cents, although I can admit the not everything about the PS4 is known yet, so I guess I'll just wait and see.

ZombiePineapple

The Hell Raiser
Reaction score
well let's see the Xbox One really doesn't catch my attention because of the fact that they seemingly make it have to be always online, which I really don't like because not many people go online although a lot more than I can estimate go online than stay offline. But I am one of the few to stay offline and never go online for anything except if I want to get a game or DLCs.

And we won't know what the PS4 will do till Sony announces it and shows it off this week. All we can do is what we did for the new Xbox...guess. So until Sony reveals the PS4 we can just guess what it will be like compared to the Xbox One.

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
Xbox One is a no for me, too much connectedness, and I really enjoy using a TV for my shows.

I know nothing about the PS4, so undecided.

WiiU sounds good. From what I've heard Nintendo is at least trying to keep updated with new technology and all.

Doesn't matter what happens, I'll always be a PC gamer anyway. :coffee:

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
Well, I've so far had a great experience with the Xbox 360, but the Xbox One makes me wary.

The selling & trading games doesn't affect me as I never attempt to sell anything I own. The internet connection only matters to me if I'm going to be living in a place with no reliable connection.

The price is something that I'll have to seriously think about. I don't like motion control in games, so the Kinect doesn't matter to me. If I manage to scrounge up enough money I'll probably cave, knowing me.

But on the other hand, the games announced at E3 look fantastic. The Halo franchise happens to be my core set of games, and I'm excited for Halo 5. I'm also willing to try out Forza Motorsport and Dead Rising 3. Those look nice.

Project Spark sounds like something that I would use up an entire day to play, but I want to hear more about it first.

Chillingworth

Reaction score
Sony basically has to announce an $550+ price tag and a requirement for once an hour internet connection to lose this race. The graphic CaptainCake posted (which I looked for on Reddit but could not locate) pretty much tells the story.

Man, Xbox 360 was beautiful. It's a shame that they're turning things in the wrong direction. If only I could use an Xbox controller with a PS4!

That being said, we haven't heard anything about PS4 DRM or price. We shall find out in 20 minutes at the E3 Sony event.

Dlmt3

Reaction score
The only thing really making me lean towards Xbox one would be Project Spark.

That game looks truly amazing, and really a way to capture imagination.

• Haha
Reactions: Pikmon2

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Mmk for me:
Xbox One: Terrible.
PS4: PS3 2.0 (Thats not a bad thing. Its what consoles do when they don't go backwards. Improve.)

Why did you leave Wii U? Just because it doesn't have all your fancy next gen hardware, its a great console, it improved in other ways then graphics.

But yes, I'd go with Ps4 over Xbox One. I can't wait to see the first person to say they are excited for the Xbox One. xP

Chillingworth

Reaction score
Mmk for me:
PS4: PS3 2.0 (Thats not a bad thing. Its what consoles do when they don't go backwards. Improve.)

Why did you leave Wii U? Just because it doesn't have all your fancy next gen hardware, its a great console, it improved in other ways then graphics.

But yes, I'd go with Ps4 over Xbox One. I can't wait to see the first person to say they are excited for the Xbox One. xP
I only left out the Wii-U because it is already released and struggling in the market.

• Confusing
Reactions: Pikmon2

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Mmk for me:

I only left out the Wii-U because it is already released and struggling in the market.

The Xbox 360 came out a year before the PS3 and Wii and was a part of the same Gen. And not doing well on the market doesn't mean its not next gen.

Sephhh

Supermegauber Foxy Fox!
Reaction score
Website
blocktopia.net
I checked CapCake's picture and it seemed to be doubtful. I find it stupid for them to do that, so I actually did some research :p.

Check the website itself, and or read this:
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

They allow those stuff said above, but
With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

Well a bit of it was true, but it was kinda misleading and biased, but if you could read it from there, it seemed fine to me.

Edit: So for my side, I have an xbox 360, and I like it, then comes Xbox One, which looks promising (seeing the upsides even with the downsides). I also have a kinect before, and it seems better now. Also they give 2 free games when you have xbox live gold each month you have it (which I had for a year before)

Chillingworth

Reaction score
Mmk for me:

The Xbox 360 came out a year before the PS3 and Wii and was a part of the same Gen. And not doing well on the market doesn't mean its not next gen.
This thread wasn't about the Wii-U, which will obviously move less units than the Xbox One or PS4. I was seeing what people thought about the two top selling consoles, which will provide the most heated debate and interesting conversation.

Mccuish

The Canadian Nightmare
Contributor
Reaction score
just from the image captain posted I'm already thinking the Xbox one will fail badly. The PS4 has caught some interest in me buti'm going to stick with my PS3 for now.

Pikmon2

Reaction score

This thread wasn't about the Wii-U, which will obviously move less units than the Xbox One or PS4. I was seeing what people thought about the two top selling consoles, which will provide the most heated debate and interesting conversation.

I know its about the Xbox One and PS4, thats why I talked about em in my post. I'm just saying its next gen. Anywho, onto on-topic!