Unreasonable Anxieties

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
Damer_Flinn I can understand being afraid of public speaking. I too hate it, and im usually quiet in the real world, because I hate talking all together. But when I talk on teamspeak, I'm usually fine talking. It's probably because we're usually talking about games and what not that we're all passionate about, so I guess it relates to what you're saying. And the fact that I cannot see the people I'm talking to, so I guess that helps me a little.

Reactions: Duffie
D

DarkHender

Also, for those of you who have mentioned anxiety issues directly affecting everyday life you might want to look into yoga. Part of yoga is learning calming techniques, which I can say from personal experience have helped me greatly.
Waaah yoga=going to a place where other people are learning yoga too ;-; which means strangers.

Jeercrul

Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
Try rappelling, nothing quite like being held up by only a rope to overcome your fear of heights :p
I quite agree. Back then I had a severe fear of heights. I would get dizzy or scared even in crossing pedestrian bridges, and whenever I climb mountains together with my family on holidays my legs would just be stuck to the ground. But quite recently I got hooked up with some rappelling; it was really terrifying at first, but as I learnt more about the way the ropes worked, I learnt to trust myself and deal with my fear of heights. I still have a phobia of heights though, but I definitely know how to manage them better.

le_badcop

Reaction score
I quite agree. Back then I had a severe fear of heights. I would get dizzy or scared even in crossing pedestrian bridges, and whenever I climb mountains together with my family on holidays my legs would just be stuck to the ground. But quite recently I got hooked up with some rappelling; it was really terrifying at first, but as I learnt more about the way the ropes worked, I learnt to trust myself and deal with my fear of heights. I still have a phobia of heights though, but I definitely know how to manage them better.
Back when i was in fire standards (fire fighting school) we were required to do 3 75 foot rappels , by the time i was done I wanted to do more :p, and would love to be able to have the chance to try it again. Just out of curiosity, how much did you get to do.

gay vampire

Little Miss Organs
Reaction score
For some reason, I get really anxious/embarrassed when someone in a movie does something they'll regret/get told off for doing/embarrass themselves. It makes it hard to watch some parts of movies for me, and I always just feel like going upstairs or hiding behind the couch.​
This is also one of the reasons why I only watched 1/2 quarters of Brave. :c​

Jeercrul

Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
Back when i was in fire standards (fire fighting school) we were required to do 3 75 foot rappels , by the time i was done I wanted to do more :p, and would love to be able to have the chance to try it again. Just out of curiosity, how much did you get to do.
Well I got my level one rockclimbing certificate recently. I didn't do much rappelling/abseiling, but the pleasure of getting down from somewhere high especially when you have a phobia of heights was enjoyable. As I did more rockclimbing + abseiling/rappelling, I gradually found that it was a fun process and did more if I could c:

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
When I think about it further, one of my major anxieties would have to be thinking about "The World After School."

I always fear that I'll end up staying with my parents for the rest of my life. Or the exact opposite, never seeing them. Or stuck in an apartment, paycheck by paycheck, not going anywhere in life.

Most teenagers, when they turn into adults, are kicked out of their house by their parents. My parents are lighthearted enough to keep me around until I finish college, be that for better or for worse. I understand why parents usually kick their kids out of their house, other than the fact that they just don't want them around anymore, but that's not the reason for my anxiety.

Being 18, my time to go to college is coming soon. I'm not sure what I want to be in life, other than that I know I'll enjoy doing something in the anime art and/or video gaming career. I want to enjoy work every morning, not punch myself up everyday, like I do for school. When you have to wake up to things that you at most enjoy, life is a lot more fulfilling.

What I'm really scared about, though, is the job I'll have to get. My whole life, I've lived with parents who don't have the best jobs in the world.

My father is an auto mechanic, and that being his field, is the right job for him. Sadly, he hasn't been going very well in getting a job in that field recently, and is unable to work all the time.

My mother is a manager at Giant Eagle. She gets paid enough money to keep us going in this nice house, but she comes home almost everyday annoyed, stressed, and pissed off. She sometimes misplaces her anger on us, but not so much recently. We're a close enough family to not get that angry at each other.

When I have to get a job, I'll most likely have to get a first job in what everyone else has gotten first jobs in before; grocery, fast food, or just plain retail. I probably don't even have a choice, as almost every other job will require a reference.

But, I've never been great with people. I talk too softly, and I don't always catch what people say, the first time they say something to me. I would get on people's nerves, and they would get on mine. Not really something to look forward to.

... All in all, my major anxiety is the looking at the world I'll be getting myself into, the things I have to do in order to live a normal life.

Suikae

Dat Typo Queen
Reaction score
I have so many anxieties.. It's not even funny.
I can't walk in front of people. I feel like they're watching my feet to see that I'll mess up and make fun of me for it. So whenever I feel like that's happening I walk all over the place and feel light headed.I'm socially awkward, and I can't be around people, I'm scared that they'll make fun of how I look, talk, etc. I'm really anxious about people as you can tell, due to past and present events that has forced me to isolate myself from others, and most likely society itself. xD
I also have acrophobia, but it's extreme. I can't even go onto the children's playground, I feel like it won't support my weight and come crashing down (LOL).

D

DarkHender

I have so many anxieties.. It's not even funny.
I can't walk in front of people. I feel like they're watching my feet to see that I'll mess up and make fun of me for it. So whenever I feel like that's happening I walk all over the place and feel light headed.I'm socially awkward, and I can't be around people, I'm scared that they'll make fun of how I look, talk, etc. I'm really anxious about people as you can tell, due to past and present events that has forced me to isolate myself from others, and most likely society itself. xD
I also have acrophobia, but it's extreme. I can't even go onto the children's playground, I feel like it won't support my weight and come crashing down (LOL).
"I'm scared that they'll make fun of how I look, talk, etc. I'm really anxious about people as you can tell, due to past and present events that has forced me to isolate myself from others, and most likely society itself. "
You're not alone, I am also!

Damer_Flinn

Resident Asha'man
Reaction score
But, I've never been great with people. I talk too softly, and I don't always catch what people say, the first time they say something to me. I would get on people's nerves, and they would get on mine. Not really something to look forward to.
Speaking as the person who was literally (seriously) the shyest guy in my high school. I see where you're coming from there. I'm also pretty soft spoken and was pretty unsociable. And after about a year of job hunting I got a job at a grocery store. Bottom of the food chain, cashier/stocker.

That was one of the best things that could have happened to me.

I've learned so many things about myself by working there. I've discovered that my limits aren't anywhere near what I believed them to be. And just by interacting with different people day after day after day I've grown to be more sociable.

All jobs you get from here until retirement will have both high points and low points. You just need to trudge through it sometimes, deal with the obstinate people and move on to the next day. I genuinely believe that if you go to work with the attitude of "how can I help?" (Which I know you have in you having been an operator on our servers here at one point.) You will do fine. And you will enjoy it.

RD4life

Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
There's not that much that can sincerely scare me, but you won't ever catch me swimming in open water. Just the possibility of not knowing where I am heading, how deep it is, wheter or not there are fish scares me. I can't even traverse the oceans in Minecraft without a boat because of this.

What makes this worse is that I have been swimming since I was 4 years old, and am a qualified rescue-swimmer. They can actually send me when you are drowning in sea. Too bad though, because I'll probably nope out of there as fast as I can. The only place I can happily swim is the pool

TL;DR: Good swimmer, but hate swimming

MacTarvish

Reaction score
I have what you call "Trypophobia" its basically the fear of lots of small holes near each other.
It causes me to over think and scratch myself thinking im itchy. Its the worst feeling in the world. ;_;

digi

-
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
This isn't an unreasonable anxiety, but it's an anxiety nevertheless. Public transport when I'm trying to get back home at night. This article sums up pretty much what I and other people have probably experienced and I hate it. I want to be able to travel on a bus or train without there being a threat of a fight or some fool literally making the space I sit in uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I've had some of the most greatest conversations during my commutes home, but unfortunately I've experienced way too many distressing situations where someone had to act like an arse and ruin my night.

That and magpies...
For those who live in Australia you know what I mean. For those who don't, they're motherf*cking devil birds who attack you because they think you're after their devil babies. They aim right for your head, they just don't give a shit.

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
I'm quite a perfectionist when it comes to school grades.

So basically, a fear of getting anything below E.
I also hate getting bad grades D: I don't know what an E is, but for me I hate getting less than an A (90/100 and up is an A in case you didn't know) EDIT: Just saw E = exellence, so I guess it's basically like an A or B