FAQ + Questions Thread

nitasu987

Reaction score
More questions I thought of today:

Q: Is there a way to have a group of people playing together as a 'clan' or 'guild' or 'group/party' system, but not in a village (ex: a group of wandering merchants, or just a mercantile guild/insert profession here guild) without having to be identified as a village?
Q: What efforts will be made to keep the server as lore-friendly as possible? (i.e. the nether rollercoaster not being very lore-friendly to JtE in my opinion)

DKnucklehead

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Question I asked in the village thread that went unanswered:

Will there be block protection/chest protection in the village boundaries? Or are they a separate plugin, or not even included in this SMP?

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
Is nudity prohibited?
Am I allowed to eat bread till I puke?
Will pie be the official patron deity of this server??
Is there any planned story/rp that I can read now/soon?
Also, a question regarding village protection, how will it be set after you buy it, and how large will it be?

• Haha
Reactions: Faliara

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score
Sploorky thanks! But really, 1.7 terrain? I'm ok with that, but I'd love to see a custom map for an SMP server too :D

Not complaining, just suggesting ;D (although I do understand it's probably way too far in development to change the map, so no worries :D)
Also to make custom terrain gen for 1.7 is currently impossible without excessive amounts of work which no one wants to do for a map that size. If WorldPainter was updated for 1.7 before 1.7 then we would have an awesome custom map. >.>

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
Sploorky thanks! But really, 1.7 terrain? I'm ok with that, but I'd love to see a custom map for an SMP server too :D

Not complaining, just suggesting ;D (although I do understand it's probably way too far in development to change the map, so no worries :D)
wha
he'd like to see a custom map for the smp server

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Couple of questions
Q1: Is possible that there will be player own shops?
Q2: Will there be skills to grind?
Q3: Is dark rooms allowed?
It is possible, though not on release, no.

There's no skills, per se, like mcMMO from Elysium. We removed that because players tired of it after a while, and we're trying to keep things more basic.

Yes, but I highly doubt you'll be able to acquire the beacons to do so. But I encourage you to try! (Though with XP and grinders allowed, no real point)

When you first buy a village, how big will it be?
32x32. Incredibly small, so expanding will be vital!

Are there going to be ranks like on JtE where if you reach a certain number of playtime you get a rank?

(Settler 24 hours, Citizen 7 Days)
Not at launch, no.

More questions I thought of today:

Q: Is there a way to have a group of people playing together as a 'clan' or 'guild' or 'group/party' system, but not in a village (ex: a group of wandering merchants, or just a mercantile guild/insert profession here guild) without having to be identified as a village?
Q: What efforts will be made to keep the server as lore-friendly as possible? (i.e. the nether rollercoaster not being very lore-friendly to JtE in my opinion)
Of course! You can create a thread in the Settlements subforum, and be unofficial. But as in an official group, there is no way, no.

We won't limit gameplay or structures at all, as while lore/RP/story is part of the server a lot of the community just prefers SMP itself, and while we include it to make those happy and have something to go off of (and I know JohnO likes it as well!) we won't be enforcing anything too restricting.

Will there be block protection/chest protection in the village boundaries? Or are they a separate plugin, or not even included in this SMP?
It's possible to protect blocks, but no. If it's wanted and highly requested I will include it, but for ease of access I've kept it off because it is impossible to allow another player in the protections without adding them to the Village. Either way, griefing is illegal, so it'll get undone anyway (hopefully).
Is nudity prohibited?
Am I allowed to eat bread till I puke?
Will pie be the official patron deity of this server??
Is there any planned story/rp that I can read now/soon?
Also, a question regarding village protection, how will it be set after you buy it, and how large will it be?
No.
Yes.
Yes.

Not yet, you'd have to ask JohnO, but I'm sure he'll whip something up soon.

The initial purchase is 32x32. You can expand it in 16x16 chunks, which will be much cheaper than the regular purchase. We've yet to come up with a definite price for this but expect it to be at the least, under 1000 Topians.

DKnucklehead

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score

It's possible to protect blocks, but no. If it's wanted and highly requested I will include it, but for ease of access I've kept it off because it is impossible to allow another player in the protections without adding them to the Village. Either way, griefing is illegal, so it'll get undone anyway (hopefully).
I approve of not including it, I found it to be pretty annoying at times when i was visiting people.

But also about chests. I wanted to know if there was a separate feature where you could lock chests, or if there was a rule of protection (like placing a block above the chest), or if we go Prim style and require chests to have to be reachable in some way?

Airkid (Tagging you as you wanted to know the answer when it came up.)

Sploorky

Reaction score

wha
he'd like to see a custom map for the smp server
It's more that I didn't answer any questions =p.

nitasu987 Butamou's words ring true, and considering this 'is' the first 1.7 map, I doubt they'd spring for a custom world instead of a world to show off all the new biomes!

But it is a cool idea for a future smp.

• Thank You
Reactions: nitasu987

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score

I approve of not including it, I found it to be pretty annoying at times when i was visiting people.

But also about chests. I wanted to know if there was a separate feature where you could lock chests, or if there was a rule of protection (like placing a block above the chest), or if we go Prim style and require chests to have to be reachable in some way?

Airkid (Tagging you as you wanted to know the answer when it came up.)
http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/dusk-of-discordia-rules-compendium.14041/ might answer a few questions.

But you are allowed to put blocks above chests to 'lock' them. As for locked chests, an ender chest does the job of a locked chest, and that is 100% sure to keep everything safe.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
Will villages be charged taxes on the land they maintain? For example will they have to spend money everyday maintaining the land they own or will land purchases be simply a one off purchase where if you buy it you own it forever?
Ooo, I like the idea of renting land. Maybe buying land could be even more expensive. :O

... Not saying it's implemented, or should be, just that I quite like that idea. xP

Q: Will you need a certain amount of people to create a village chunk (or even expand it), or can one person do it all by themselves?

Mooglie

The Local Cow
Reaction score
Question: If SMP does follow some sort of timeline RP-wise, does Discordia come after or before the time of Elysium? (I know this is a weird question but I need to know for something lel)

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Ooo, I like the idea of renting land. Maybe buying land could be even more expensive. :O
Generally I'd think it should be one system or the other having both seems a tad silly to me as it makes one of them obsolete

I asked because as a former Towny player I can remember the tax system being on some servers and tbh the commands for the village plugin look a lot like Towny to me.

Generally if it were a one time buy land would either need to be really expensive or limits would need to be put in place to stop towns from buying rediculous amounts of land. without limits towns would generally buy a LOT of land to stop any pvp near them.

Like i said this could be stopped by giving limits such as
- only allowing a specific number of land chunks purchased per resident
-capping a max land value for all villagesis
- using rules and staff enforcement to stop them from expanding rediculously beyond their building area (this would encourage them to create lower quality builds that extend far out beyond there land )

those are just the standard ways of doing so being that I thought i heard a comment where they are trying to replicate JtEs clan system, and it would also be possible to do the following
-Give villages different "ranks" probably based on applications Then use admin powers to give villages a higher chunk claim limit for the higher ranked "towns" and "cities"

the other option rather than that is to charge maintenance "tax" daily for every chunk of land the town owns. the advantages here are that active towns don't need to worry about hitting limits and can buy as much as the town works to afford, this prevents towns from claiming excessively insane amounts of land (since they have to pay money) and it also stops inactive towns from keeping large land amounts. the disadvantages to this are that this can be straining on residents if a town begins shrinking in activity or if a mayor wants to hold obscene amounts of land. also unless a residential tax system is in place people might forget to keep donating to the townbank so this could be really straining on the mayor and his bank account.

I'm highly curious as to see how things work out so many options possible

Reactions: Notme

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
Generally I'd think it should be one system or the other having both seems a tad silly to me as it makes one of them obsolete

I asked because as a former Towny player I can remember the tax system being on some servers and tbh the commands for the village plugin look a lot like Towny to me.

Generally if it were a one time buy land would either need to be really expensive or limits would need to be put in place to stop towns from buying rediculous amounts of land. without limits towns would generally buy a LOT of land to stop any pvp near them.

Like i said this could be stopped by giving limits such as
- only allowing a specific number of land chunks purchased per resident
-capping a max land value for all villagesis
- using rules and staff enforcement to stop them from expanding rediculously beyond their building area (this would encourage them to create lower quality builds that extend far out beyond there land )

those are just the standard ways of doing so being that I thought i heard a comment where they are trying to replicate JtEs clan system, and it would also be possible to do the following
-Give villages different "ranks" probably based on applications Then use admin powers to give villages a higher chunk claim limit for the higher ranked "towns" and "cities"

the other option rather than that is to charge maintenance "tax" daily for every chunk of land the town owns. the advantages here are that active towns don't need to worry about hitting limits and can buy as much as the town works to afford, this prevents towns from claiming excessively insane amounts of land (since they have to pay money) and it also stops inactive towns from keeping large land amounts. the disadvantages to this are that this can be straining on residents if a town begins shrinking in activity or if a mayor wants to hold obscene amounts of land. also unless a residential tax system is in place people might forget to keep donating to the townbank so this could be really straining on the mayor and his bank account.

I'm highly curious as to see how things work out so many options possible
From all the options, option 3 seems the best to me[Making it a rule to not go way to big]. I dislike all the other ones. Mostly because CTY will probabily be big again, and a limit on how many chunks we can buy would really ruin it =/. Taxes are a bit ok, but might cost too much as people wont be on all day every day.

JohnOgozalek

Forever Shining
Reaction score
Question: If SMP does follow some sort of timeline RP-wise, does Discordia come after or before the time of Elysium? (I know this is a weird question but I need to know for something lel)
Personally, always thought Discordia came after Elysium.

They technically both have completely separate story-lines, however Discordia will have small references and links to Elysium.

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
so maybe its my arrogance that is getting in the way but,

if griefing is not allowed, why cant you guys just put on a plugin like GriefProtection on
i think all it does not having it on the server is make it harder for players because once they DO get griefed they'll have to wait until an op refunds them or rebuilds their home

if you put a plugin like that on, players can autoclaim their areas and do what they like with it and not have to worry, and all you guys need to do is enable button-pressing and door opening, and chest access stuff

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
D

Deleted member 4601

Are we allowed to make traps to kill others?

Can we kill those in PVP zones when standing in a PVE zone?

smokingkills

The Friendly DoD VetOp
Reaction score
Are we allowed to make traps to kill others?

Can we kill those in PVP zones when standing in a PVE zone?
1. I don't see why not, if you want to kill raiders, I think it's great to come up with a tricky idea in how to kill them. ;)

2. I can't imagine so! As you wouldn't be able to be hit, it would be unfair, also you are still in a PVE zone, meaning there is no PVP.