FAQ + Questions Thread

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm sure at this point there are a lot of questions about the server, and many things that have not been answered. Post any and all questions you have below and they will be answered. I will also edit the questions into this initial post for the sake of making a good FAQ list, and also to make things easier to read. Thanks!

====================​

Q: How much insanity and 'discord' should we expect? How much of a change should we see from elysium?

A: In all honesty there won't be a ton of insanity and discord. It's not an apocalyptic server, as we've clearly already had that. But it is based in tough times and times where unexpected things happen, so you never know!

And the server is influenced by the popular and working aspects of Elysium, but very slimmed down and refocused. Features such as mcMMO, dragons, quests, emerald economy and pre-built works are no longer in the server, but we've introduced player-bought villages, a different style of economy and more features to come. It will definitely seem different, and definitely will be different. Hopefully it will feel a bit more vanilla and basic, as that is the direction we were aiming in.

====================​

Q: How large is the map?

A: The map size is 3000 x 3000.

====================​

Q: Will we be allowed to make exp grinders this time?

A: Rules list will be up soon, we are still discussing this.

====================​

Q: How will enchantment's be handled? (Q: What about Str pots?)

A: Enchantments and strength potions will be all enabled from start. We'll see how it goes and adjust things if needed.

====================​

Q: Can we claim Endportals in DoD?

A: You can claim parts of strongholds, but not the endportal itself.

====================​

Q: Is it possible to have multiple Mayors?

A: It is not possible to have multiple Mayors, I have requested this feature but it has not been added (yet!) but if it is ever possible, then I will add it.

====================​

Q: When do you think the livemap will be up?

A: Livemap will be up when we can get our 1.7 map, which is not yet.

====================​

Q: What sort of map is it? (Like a normal Minecraft Terraingen or an actually good Custom Terrain Map that would totally increase DoD's quality?)

A: 1.7 map, normal terrain generation most likely.

====================​

Q: Will there be Antigrief for all even if you're not in a village? (Probably has been answered Somewhere..)

A: Not sure what you mean by "antigrief" but griefing is not allowed, no.

====================​

Q: Is it a medieval-style theme to the server?

A: Sort of. It's based around the middle ages, but it is totally up to the player if they want to RP or just not bat an eye at the storyline (either is fine!).

====================​

Q: Will there be quests/dungeons/etc?

A: You'll have to see! ;)

====================​

Q: To what extent is roleplaying allowed?

A: Roleplaying in any way, shape or form is totally allowed. There's nothing blocking it.

====================​

Q: Will there be pre-built locations and are we allowed to claim some of them (like an abandoned fort, etc)

A: There won't be a lot of random pre-built locations, but shops and a spawn city (but maybe some stuff here and there, who knows!)

====================​

Q: due to there being pvp, if i dedicate my life to just killing people and people get pissed off, will i be forced to stop (aka are there unwritten limits and if so could you please write them so they aren't unwritten)

A: There will be limits written, though common sense is a good way to go (but in the past that has never seemed to work!)

====================​

Q: Do 1.7 biomes make an appearance?

A: All of 'em.

====================​

Q: Is it possible the map will be expanded at some points in the server?

A: Very possible, and much easier now that there's not a massive wall we have to expand.

====================​

Q: Is possible that there will be player own shops?

A: It is possible, though not on release, no.
====================​

Q: Will there be skills to grind?

A: There's no skills, per se, like mcMMO from Elysium. We removed that because players tired of it after a while, and we're trying to keep things more basic.
====================​

Q: Is dark rooms allowed?

A: Yes, but I highly doubt you'll be able to acquire the beacons to do so. But I encourage you to try! (Though with XP and grinders allowed, no real point)
====================​

Q: When you first buy a village, how big will it be?

A: 32x32. Incredibly small, so expanding will be vital!
====================​

Q: Are there going to be ranks like on JtE where if you reach a certain number of playtime you get a rank?

A: Not at launch, no.
====================​

Q: Is there a way to have a group of people playing together as a 'clan' or 'guild' or 'group/party' system, but not in a village (ex: a group of wandering merchants, or just a mercantile guild/insert profession here guild) without having to be identified as a village?

A: Of course! You can create a thread in the Settlements subforum, and be unofficial. But as in an official group, there is no way, no.

====================​

Q: What efforts will be made to keep the server as lore-friendly as possible? (i.e. the nether rollercoaster not being very lore-friendly to JtE in my opinion)

A: We won't limit gameplay or structures at all, as while lore/RP/story is part of the server a lot of the community just prefers SMP itself, and while we include it to make those happy and have something to go off of (and I know JohnO likes it as well!) we won't be enforcing anything too restricting.

====================​

Q: Will there be block protection/chest protection in the village boundaries? Or are they a separate plugin, or not even included in this SMP?

A: It's possible to protect blocks, but no. If it's wanted and highly requested I will include it, but for ease of access I've kept it off because it is impossible to allow another player in the protections without adding them to the Village. Either way, griefing is illegal, so it'll get undone anyway (hopefully).

====================​

Q: Is there any planned story/rp that I can read now/soon?

A: Not yet, you'd have to ask JohnO, but I'm sure he'll whip something up soon.

====================​

Q: Also, a question regarding village protection, how will it be set after you buy it, and how large will it be?

A: The initial purchase is 32x32. You can expand it in 16x16 chunks, which will be much cheaper than the regular purchase. We've yet to come up with a definite price for this but expect it to be at the least, under 1000 Topians.

====================​
Organized the question list because ily. ~Sparkly

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
Q: Coke or Pepsi?

Q: How much insanity and 'discord' should we expect? How much of a change should we see from elysium?

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Q: Do you want soup or salad?
Soup.

Will the server have PvP on for the first week? Terre936

Also: Why did you remove the red bird from your signature? D:
PVP will be on globally, unless in protected area (i.e. villages, or spawn areas or shops). So if you're asking for the first week, then yes.
and I removed the red bird because spoilers are annoying. :(

Q: Coke or Pepsi?

In all honesty there won't be a ton of insanity and discord. It's not an apocalyptic server, as we've clearly already had that. But it is based in tough times and times where unexpected things happen, so you never know!

And the server is influenced by the popular and working aspects of Elysium, but very slimmed down and refocused. Features such as mcMMO, dragons, quests, emerald economy and pre-built works are no longer in the server, but we've introduced player-bought villages, a different style of economy and more features to come. It will definitely seem different, and definitely will be different. Hopefully it will feel a bit more vanilla and basic, as that is the direction we were aiming in.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
I got a few questions:

I know you probabily will make a balance between PvP and PvE. But in my opinion I won't like the PvP areas if people go around in Prot II+ armor. It's just not fun that way. So my question:

Also something I also want to know:

And mooore:
For example, CTY has 3 leaders. Is it possible to give 2 others the same powers the mayor has?

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
Nope.
"- Due to the recent 1.7 Minecraft update, the livemap is not yet ready, but it will be up for everyone to see shortly."
From http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/dusk-of-discordia-the-future-of-smp.13955/ :3
Then I cri because CTY has 3 "majors" =c.

Also I meant a possible date/time for the livemap. Something more clear than "shortly" =P

nitasu987

Reaction score
Q: What sort of map is it? (Like a normal Minecraft Terraingen or an actually good Custom Terrain Map that would totally increase DoD's quality?)
Q: Will there be Antigrief for all even if you're not in a village? (Probably has been answered Somewhere..)
Q: Will there be pre-built locations and are we allowed to claim some of them (like an abandoned fort, etc)

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
due to there being pvp, if i dedicate my life to just killing people and people get pissed off, will i be forced to stop (aka are there unwritten limits and if so could you please write them so they aren't unwritten)

Reactions: Henry

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Q: Will we be allowed to make exp grinders this time?
Rules list will be up soon, we are still discussing this.

I got a few questions:

I know you probabily will make a balance between PvP and PvE. But in my opinion I won't like the PvP areas if people go around in Prot II+ armor. It's just not fun that way. So my question:

Also something I also want to know:

And mooore:
For example, CTY has 3 leaders. Is it possible to give 2 others the same powers the mayor has?

Enchantments and strength potions will be all enabled from start. We'll see how it goes and adjust things if needed.

You can claim parts of strongholds, but not the endportal itself.

It is not possible to have multiple Mayors, I have requested this feature but it has not been added (yet!) but if it is ever possible, then I will add it.

Livemap will be up when we can get our 1.7 map, which is not yet.

1.7 map, normal terrain generation most likely.

Not sure what you mean by "antigrief" but griefing is not allowed, no.

Sort of. It's based around the middle ages, but it is totally up to the player if they want to RP or just not bat an eye at the storyline (either is fine!).

You'll have to see! ;)

Roleplaying in any way, shape or form is totally allowed. There's nothing blocking it.

There won't be a lot of random pre-built locations, but shops and a spawn city (but maybe some stuff here and there, who knows!)

due to there being pvp, if i dedicate my life to just killing people and people get pissed off, will i be forced to stop (aka are there unwritten limits and if so could you please write them so they aren't unwritten)
There will be limits written, though common sense is a good way to go (but in the past that has never seemed to work!)

Do 1.7 biomes make an appearance?
All of 'em.

Is it possible the map will be expanded at some points in the server?
Very possible, and much easier now that there's not a massive wall we have to expand.

Reactions: 1 person

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
There will be limits written, though common sense is a good way to go (but in the past that has never seemed to work!)
This is because "too far" is a term relative to yourself. My "too far" in my opinion is lightyears away from a lot of people here's "too far". You really need to write out all rules explicitly, even if they sound obviously or ridiculous (like you cannot kill a person more than 10 time within 5 minutes for example).

nitasu987

Reaction score
Sploorky thanks! But really, 1.7 terrain? I'm ok with that, but I'd love to see a custom map for an SMP server too :D

Not complaining, just suggesting ;D (although I do understand it's probably way too far in development to change the map, so no worries :D)