[Brainstorm] New ideas for the next SMP server

Was these ideas good?

• Total voters

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
How about then, for the pvp people and for the non pvp people, pvp at night like in the old smp (not sure which version). This balances things out for both sides, in my opinion, and worked really well :D The non pvpers would take shelter at night and the pvpers would go out raiding at night! :D

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
MCMMO (Super Miner, Tree Felling, Serrated Strikes etc (Was that JtE levelling?)) was much less restrictive and I think a much more rounded plugin - I can't believe some players managed to hit the max on fishing!

Any form of progression is likely the winning factor in making a decent server (be the largest town/richest/link towns/beat dungeons etc). I think lore helps greatly as it gets people thinking creatively.

One of the ongoing issues is the amount of staff time needed to either maintain/create/integrate the content, is a big big job and far from easy - I always wondered if admins would ever use buildbox to allow players to build simple ruins/dungeons etc to be pasted into the new map... Anything to make the terrain different from any other SMP.

Has anyone spent a time playing on an Amplified world? Was it more fun or did it just become a chore to navigate hills?
I fear some people will rage when they get one-hitted by someone with McMMO Swords if the cap is left high. :S

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
I fear some people will rage when they get one-hitted by someone with McMMO Swords if the cap is left high. :S
True, I forgot some skills were too OP last we ran it (diamond fists, lol). Was thinking of the non-aggressive skills in particular (anything to take the edge of mining/woodcutting). Combat in MC is one-sided enough as it is.

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
True, I forgot some skills were too OP last we ran it (diamond fists, lol). Was thinking of the non-aggressive skills in particular (anything to take the edge of mining/woodcutting). Combat in MC is one-sided enough as it is.
Maybe implement a system where only players in the same skill-rank and with the slightly-same armor/enchantments can battle each other?

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
This, among the other complaints in the thread, are all somewhat fixable. I've ranted about these things before, but it's coming again.

The general problem with minecraft pvp is that the game very much lacks in the depth department. Given equal equipment, a player's choice in getting the edge over another player is either to jump and always crit, or have an amazing connection and be able to crouch and hit feet. There are a few crafty ways one can retreat and heal up, but that's the full extent of 'skill' in this game. The general problem is that players don't have full access to all the same things. Potions aren't too hard to come across, but enchants are completely random (though maybe not with 1.8?) and diamonds do take a bit of time, and not everyone can afford a computer and connection that never lags (especially in pvp). And losing a fight means losing all of those enchants and diamonds.

Now these things can be somewhat balanced, and primordia took a step in the right direction with it. Yes, primordia had balance issues and in some places was too restrictive. But in general, nobody allowed to wear full diamond gear was great. Everyone using stone or iron swords, without enchants, was great. And having skills added skill to the fighting in the game.

A big deal with primordia was the increased life pools. A sword that does 20 damage isn't as brutal to a player with 100 hp as it is to the standard player with 20 hp.

Now as far as servers go;

It's obvious that I think primordia was on the right track for some things. The use of land on that server was pretty terrible though. I'd rather see a small radius at the center of the map as protected (no pvp zone, not block protected) for players who want to hide in that kind of area. But make it small. Jte had far too much area set as no-pvp (as well as terrible rules for the pvp zone in the beginning) so the map was a lot less interesting (though I achieved my greatest build there, Seahaven felt really good to get done).

Having the set factions (the 4 families) was a great idea, imo. They just had way too much land for it. I'd like to see maybe 5-8 factions in a similar way to what primordia had, but give them like 4 chunks of land protection, and paste a standard vault there (maybe customized for the family design, but a standard vault). Let players built off of that.

No blocked chests was a great rule (though I understand a HUGE pain in the ass to staff, though I bet it wouldn't be hard to rewrite the chest code to allow them to be opened regardless of stuff above). Encourage people to build proper secrets or redstone locks on their stuff. It encourages people to spend time thieving, and in some cases you spend too much time and get attacked by the owner.

And finally, the best way to balance pvp is to restrict things. Don't let anyone run around in full diamond. Don't let everyone use enchanted gear or potions. The plugin(s) primordia used did this stuff, and though it wasn't perfect, it was a lot of fun and was constantly being improved.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
Ugh, too many people want different things.

Honestly, I'd be just as happy to have a server similar to DoD, but for 1.8. I just want to build, and I'd love to have all of the 1.8 features involved.

If we have another server with all that stuff, I'd play both. Just don't get rid of the other, please.

JtTorso

Reaction score
From a backend perspective, it wasn't completely flexible, and the author released half working code as his opensource code for his plugin, which can be dodgy.
True, but it's not like it effected anyone who didn't have access to the backed.

And to the two individuals who voted disagree with my previous post, please elaborate why instead of dishing out a completely useless rating.

• Agree
Reactions: superhalo6

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd want a /jail command for mayors.
(=<
One server that I used to play (and staff) on had a jail command, and it was basically a ban.

I'm open to the idea though, with some restrictions.
-Mayors only
-Can only be used if both the mayor and the prisoner are in the village.
-Jail can last no longer than a few minutes.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
One server that I used to play (and staff) on had a jail command, and it was basically a ban.

I'm open to the idea though, with some restrictions.
-Mayors only
-Can only be used if both the mayor and the prisoner are in the village.
-Jail can last no longer than a few minutes.
Wont happen.

We are not giving ordinary players the ability to jail up other players, just because they are a mayor.

Reaction score
At the start of the server players get a choice to be in PvP mode or build mode. This can be changed by staff if the player requests it to and all people in PvP mode have a rank [PvP] and vica versa for players in build mode.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Duffie and Notme

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
At the start of the server players get a choice to be in PvP mode or build mode. This can be changed by staff if the player requests it to and all people in PvP mode have a rank [PvP] and vica versa for players in build mode.
Those are called PvP flags. There are plugins for that (Like, /pvp on and such)

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Wouldn't be this abused? Well people in build mode could still go raiding chests.

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
At the start of the server players get a choice to be in PvP mode or build mode. This can be changed by going to buildbox. ;)

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
that was primordia

edit: unless you mean the one where you had to do a build to get in, that was one of phantom's

parquette

Reaction score
Man. Another member here suggested this as an idea, and I love this one: Sieges! I think and totally agree with the member, that we should have sieges from one clan to another! But I think what shouldn't be allowed, is a member of a clan to constantly kill and raid 1 village clan. Boy do I know what that's like.......

• Optimistic
Reactions: Naoh and Duffie