[Brainstorm] New ideas for the next SMP server

Was these ideas good?

• Total voters

Pafrick

Reaction score
something like Primorida with the 4 families but with different religions instead that follow the server rules and a set that the religious leaders of that religion have set up?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Notme and Duffie

superhalo6

Reaction score
RoT
Rebirth of Thysserin

Quick explanation:
After years of war, that tore the city's of Thysserin apart, the capital of Thysserin, Glisterin, starts to rebuild the destroyed buildings but something else is lingering in the bowels of Thysserin. An old, foul power that was put away into sleep thousands of years ago, but the smell of blood and dead awakened it accompanied with vengeance. ..
(All improvised lol)!
That's kinda like AoC tbh (Doesn't exist)

I'll expand AoC = Alliance Of Civilization, it would be wartorn and have a NATO esque thing, AOTNA, Alliance Of The New Age.

Last edited:
  • Confusing
Reactions: RyanDodd and Duffie

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
what if there was a server where the players were or could be the bad guys? I'm done bye.
I was thinking about something like that. You could have a bunch of preset places with loot in them, and every week or so a command block would just paste a new copy of that place back. So players could grief/loot those places and be the bad guys.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
Can I straight up say I'm not okay with no safe zones? D:

UNLESS
  • Spawn was the only safe zone
  • You can alter land anywhere you want
  • Village/Faction land is protected and unable to be altered, including doors and fence gates
As someone who doesn't like PvP, I'd rather not get killed by some random guy in full diamond armor while I either have nothing, or what I feel like is a lot but isn't even close.

Sure, PvE can get boring, but if I can go to a place that's safe, and have a way to keep my valuables safe, then I can deal with PvP. Probably.

I just want to be able to make a small place, maybe eventually a village or town, and not get brutally murdered by some guy who just wanted a kill. This is why I lived in a remote area without a village on DoD. :l

Edit: Also, yes, I'm basically suggesting something similar to HCF on Shotbow, but on a smaller scale. I know we shouldn't, and won't, copy them, but I feel like they did it right. They just have terrible admins, so lots of people end up getting away with stuff. </3

Pafrick

Reaction score
Can I straight up say I'm not okay with no safe zones? D:

UNLESS
  • Spawn was the only safe zone
  • You can alter land anywhere you want
  • Village/Faction land is protected and unable to be altered, including doors and fence gates
As someone who doesn't like PvP, I'd rather not get killed by some random guy in full diamond armor while I either have nothing, or what I feel like is a lot but isn't even close.

Sure, PvE can get boring, but if I can go to a place that's safe, and have a way to keep my valuables safe, then I can deal with PvP. Probably.

I just want to be able to make a small place, maybe eventually a village or town, and not get brutally murdered by some guy who just wanted a kill. This is why I lived in a remote area without a village on DoD. :l

Edit: Also, yes, I'm basically suggesting something similar to HCF on Shotbow, but on a smaller scale. I know we shouldn't, and won't, copy them, but I feel like they did it right. They just have terrible admins, so lots of people end up getting away with stuff. </3
I agree with you Duffie.
I'd like to see the Primordia level/rank system where only specific levels can wear diamond (EVERYONE COULD WEAR FRIGGEN DIAMOND IN DISCORDIA)

• Optimistic
Reactions: JKangaroo

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
I'd like to see the Primordia level/rank system where only specific levels can wear diamond (EVERYONE COULD WEAR FRIGGEN DIAMOND IN DISCORDIA)
I actually like the leveling system in Primordia, but it had a lot of faults in it.

Ex; Certain skills could only get so far with their tools (Stone for Archer) so they could never get any Redstone mining level ores, like diamonds, gold, and lapis.

I also feel that everyone should still be able to wear diamond armor. You just need to get Prot IV on all of your armor, as well as have a bunch of splash health II's, then you'd be on par, at least. ;P

... Honestly, I just don't know what our perfect SMP would be. There are too many PvPers here, and even I find a full PvE world to be a bit too boring. Even if you hold off a certain section of the map for PvP, I feel like that wouldn't really hold up at all.

Factions are probably one of the best features we've had that could actually stick around for some time. I mean, it is one of the few plugin types we just keep going back to. ;)

I just wish we could come up with something everyone (or, at least, everyone who is willing to play,) could enjoy. </3

• Optimistic
Reactions: ConstructionBoy

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
There really wasn't anything wrong with DoDs village plugin, it's just inactive villagers, the basics of a village plugin are that it keeps track of which players are in what village, the rest are really the extras and utilities.
From a backend perspective, it wasn't completely flexible, and the author released half working code as his opensource code for his plugin, which can be dodgy.

Reaction score
My favourite SMP was the one where there was no village plugin. You could use stealth attacks to attack towns and villages. I also loved the way you always had to be alert, especially since I was constantly being raided by Danni and Airkid. If I saw one of them I'd have to leg it back into by house and block up the door. With the village plugin all the raids I made where ruined by the people running back into the borders and camping there until I left. I did this as well and I think the raiders got really fed up. I honestly preferred SMP without the village plugin, because even though I was killed a lot I had to build a whole bunch of fortifications and traps to try and stop the people from getting in and I had to try and build up a lot of gear so I could fight them (I also like the mad sprints to get back to my house with a full diamond guy right behind me :D).

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
I actually like the leveling system in Primordia, but it had a lot of faults in it.

Ex; Certain skills could only get so far with their tools (Stone for Archer) so they could never get any Redstone mining level ores, like diamonds, gold, and lapis.

I also feel that everyone should still be able to wear diamond armor. You just need to get Prot IV on all of your armor, as well as have a bunch of splash health II's, then you'd be on par, at least. ;P

... Honestly, I just don't know what our perfect SMP would be. There are too many PvPers here, and even I find a full PvE world to be a bit too boring. Even if you hold off a certain section of the map for PvP, I feel like that wouldn't really hold up at all.

Factions are probably one of the best features we've had that could actually stick around for some time. I mean, it is one of the few plugin types we just keep going back to. ;)

I just wish we could come up with something everyone (or, at least, everyone who is willing to play,) could enjoy. </3
PvE could be fun depending on how shit you make your mobs. I've played on two different servers:
Pussy servers on Easy difficulty >.>
And servers with heavily buffed up mobs. Zombies run twice the players' speed. Come in bigger packs. Mob spawn rates upped in general. Skeletons have a range of 100+ blocks and actual acceptable accuracy. Of course this is all upped and too hard for newer players. So how about different zones in the world?
The middle part is the PvE safezone. The other part is the PvP zone with vanilla mobs. And the massacre-zone with buffed mobs, PvP and such.

What I'd seriously like to see tough is some sortof fleshed out loot system, having items with specific NBT-Edited enchantments and attributes to make PvP more inte- Fuck it. I just want bloody magic with collectible spells already ;-;

Reactions: Timdood3 and Rune

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com

MCMMO (Super Miner, Tree Felling, Serrated Strikes etc (Was that JtE levelling?)) was much less restrictive and I think a much more rounded plugin - I can't believe some players managed to hit the max on fishing!

Any form of progression is likely the winning factor in making a decent server (be the largest town/richest/link towns/beat dungeons etc). I think lore helps greatly as it gets people thinking creatively.

One of the ongoing issues is the amount of staff time needed to either maintain/create/integrate the content, is a big big job and far from easy - I always wondered if admins would ever use buildbox to allow players to build simple ruins/dungeons etc to be pasted into the new map... Anything to make the terrain different from any other SMP.

Has anyone spent a time playing on an Amplified world? Was it more fun or did it just become a chore to navigate hills?

Reactions: Duffie

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
MCMMO (Super Miner, Tree Felling, Serrated Strikes etc (Was that JtE levelling?)) was much less restrictive and I think a much more rounded plugin - I can't believe some players managed to hit the max on fishing!

Any form of progression is likely the winning factor in making a decent server (be the largest town/richest/link towns/beat dungeons etc). I think lore helps greatly as it gets people thinking creatively.

One of the ongoing issues is the amount of staff time needed to either maintain/create/integrate the content, is a big big job and far from easy - I always wondered if admins would ever use buildbox to allow players to build simple ruins/dungeons etc to be pasted into the new map... Anything to make the terrain different from any other SMP.

Has anyone spent a time playing on an Amplified world? Was it more fun or did it just become a chore to navigate hills?
It dependa on how it's generated. There's mostly small chunks of land at normal levels and once the players that building bridges and stairs then climbing the hills shouldn't be much trouble anymore. But definitely in the beginning few weeks an AMPLIFIED world will be an innavigateable mess of ladders, stairs and half-finished built-in cliff houses...

EDIT: If you want custom terrain. Try using WorldPainter

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score

HAha yeah fishing was well worth it once you got into the max level area, though the enchantments cover that now, unless fishing skill buffs it more then that's insane.

As for involving buildbox team Ive suggested it before but mixing two teams is kinda rough even if we do put a much heavier load on the builders we have on the current team.

Though im sure if a staff on the buildbox team approached oak and Danni they might get a thumbs up or something idk that's another thing all together.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com

I remember LagWarrior hating it, because it had no flexibility. I think its possible to make heroes like MCMMO - as in extremely linear progression.
Just recreate MCmmo skills. There could be for example 10 tiers, something like:
A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J

Each tier would get unlocked every 2 weeks, if you play 14 hours per week.

• Agree
Reactions: LagWarrior

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
All I want is for armor/sword enchantments to be removed. I loved the SMP's where you actually had a chance in PvP instead of being killed by prot IV sharp V people.

I think the next SMP should just disable the Sharpness and Prot enchantments, along with Harm and Poision pots. Or atleast try this for the first few weeks.