• Total voters

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
no shitty roleplay this time

let the players make their own story

pure SMP4-style

basically a small step above vanilla
but where else am I supposed to be a pacifist argonian warlord who has a history of failure, trying to scrap up the remains of post apocalyptic Malaysia for his own deviant pleasures?

Amorix

Reaction score
Truth be told, I don't think it should have any of unnecessary gimmicks.
I think it should more or less just be a standard survival server with anti-griefing, basic clans, and a few PvP zones scattered throughout the map.
Basically, that SMP server that came before JtE- I forgot the exact name- without the headache of someone randomly vivisecting you with a diamond sword while you just wanted to take a casual walk through a dangerous jungle full of evil things and giant ledges.

• Agree
Reactions: tsmall0311 and Naoh

Naoh

Scott Pilgrim
Reaction score
I had an interesting idea. What if we had the local chat only? No global chat. It would be a bit more true to a medevil theme. Also, I'd love it if we had the same village plugin that we used for DoD. It was very successful in my opinion.

• Disagree
Reactions: Amorix

Amorix

Reaction score
I had an interesting idea. What if we had the local chat only? No global chat. It would be a bit more true to a medevil theme.
Personally, I don't think this is a good idea for a standard survival server. See, while I can't speak for everyone else, I know that the only reason I personally, as well as a few others, even bother with Minecraft's multiplayer is for that social element that can only really exist in a game like Minecraft. Ya know, the 'Who-built-this-awesome-castle''s and the 'Does-anyone-want-to-go-mining?'s. I feel like only local chat would kind of ruin that.
That's just my opinion, though.

Reactions: Naoh

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
I had an interesting idea. What if we had the local chat only? No global chat. It would be a bit more true to a medevil theme. Also, I'd love it if we had the same village plugin that we used for DoD. It was very successful in my opinion.
While it is an interesting idea, previous smps have allowed the player to opt into a local chat only by ignoring global chat by some silly command. Players would find a way around this chat barrier I.e ts if we were to get rid of main chat, and it would more or less hellish to moderate from an operator's perspective. We will most likely have it voluntary if we use the same chat system.

• Agree
Reactions: Amorix and EggNog
Reaction score
I think this is the best idea so far...
All I want is for armor/sword enchantments to be removed. I loved the SMP's where you actually had a chance in PvP instead of being killed by prot IV sharp V people.

I think the next SMP should just disable the Sharpness and Prot enchantments, along with Harm and Poision pots. Or atleast try this for the first few weeks.
It was just more fun when you actually had a chance.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
with 1.8, it will be a bit easier to enchant, rename, and repair items, so it won't be too hard for more people to get sharp 5 and prot 4 on everything. the only real thing that could bring up balance issues is the rarity of diamonds, rather than finding a source of experience, especially when the end gets loaded with xp grinders.

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
with 1.8, it will be a bit easier to enchant, rename, and repair items, so it won't be too hard for more people to get sharp 5 and prot 4 on everything. the only real thing that could bring up balance issues is the rarity of diamonds, rather than finding a source of experience, especially when the end gets loaded with xp grinders.
Balance is our main focus this time around, don't worry about our job c:

• Thank You
Reactions: Amorix

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
However you forget a players next enchantment is seeded, so there are no more random elements to enchanting, as well as the secondary cost.

While enchanting is easier the overall process is more time consuming considering the secondary material needed and the fact you cant just throw in level 30 and hope for top tier enchants as xxx enchant is your fate if you level 1 or level 30. Though I've yet to look too deep into the new mechanics.

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
However you forget a players next enchantment is seeded, so there are no more random elements to enchanting, as well as the secondary cost.

While enchanting is easier the overall process is more time consuming considering the secondary material needed and the fact you cant just throw in level 30 and hope for top tier enchants as xxx enchant is your fate if you level 1 or level 30. Though I've yet to look too deep into the new mechanics.
New mechanics make life easier as far as enchanting go.
To clear it up.
While it now takes lapis lazuli to enchant items.
This is counterbalanced by actual enchants being cheaper.
You still need to hit level 30 for top tier enchants.
You only lose 3 levels for tier 3 enchanting.
You can also choose between any of the three tiers and get a new set of enchantments, meaning if your tier 3 enchantment is rubbish, you can select a tier 1 or tier 2 enchantment and it will then give you new enchantments for all tiers.
You can also sometimes pull some sneaky shenanigans with bookshelves whereby changing the bookshelves that can access the enchantment table will sometimes change what enchantment you get, due to changing the exp level tiers.
Repairing enchanted items is also far cheaper now.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Also, renaming items is no longer excessively expensive (1.4 - 1.7.9, renaming something = 7 levels. 1.8 - ???, renaming something = 1 level)
So now we don't have to kill 20 zombies just to rename one sword.
Also, using lapis for enchanting is a nice bonus because it used to just come out as useless for anything other than decoration and would clutter up many chests if not condensed.

Rune

Resident Roadman | Deception Lead
Admin
Donor
AoD Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
To be honest, I like the keep inventory idea more than the idea of clearing inventory when you die. The reason for this is quite simply to level the PVP situation out. If you die, you will need to redo your whole inventory, making the winner more stronger because there are weaker opponents. Another issue with wiping would be dying from something else other than PVP, which is already annoying on RoF and would be even more annoying on the SMP server.

Overall, I prefer the keep items instead of clear inventory on death.

tsmall0311

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind something a little more simple then the last couple servers. I personally would enjoy some thing like smp 4 where it is very PvP based with villages. I'm not a fan of something with tons of plugins that bend the rules of the game.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
Conversely we set items to no drop clear inv on death similar to RoF's in round death.
That works half the same way. The point of keep inventory vs pvp is that players who enjoy pvp won't have to get their stuff again after they die, they can keep at it for hours and have fun even when losing. Players who don't enjoy pvp can't lose anything but some time from it, so it's a much less punishing experience and people will get over it a lot faster and easier.

If there's a way to use keep inventory for pvp but drop inventory from mob deaths, that would be best of both worlds I think.

Players who enjoy killing people just to take their things are rotten little children and won't get anything from Santa. :)

Catcocomics

Reaction score
regular keep inventory would be nice, thanks.
My reasoning is simply two things:
remember when we did the end DoD event? Everyone kept having their inventories scrambled amongst each other, and I'm pretty sure that only the select few (if any) who didn't die had their original inventories.

player traps are a good way to promote laziness, as a lot of them typically kill people and take their stuff.
I would appreciate the reasoning behind doing this more, except that most player traps I found were disguised as XP farms in the end, rather than being a defense mechanism.

Last edited: