[Premium] Zombie Survival Discussion

Do you support Premium Zombie? (Don't vote until 100% sure on either side)

• Yes

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 41.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I am seeing a lot of valid points in this thread, both for and against the server. An issue that is a 50/50 chance is probably the biggest worry, and that is whether or not players will play it.

You have PTNT, do you think that if they had made a poll on whether it should be here and then added it people would still be filling up the server? As of right now PTNT rarely reaches 6 players, and I am sure a lot of you will agree that it wouldn't be ideal to bring another classic server which was very popular like CTNT, just to see it die, or possibly outshine PTNT and result in it being shut down.

It isn't really about the aesthetics of the game, or how people will play it; it is about whether or not it is worth putting the server up. I mean, Blocktopia's community is a decently sized one, and we can just about manage to obtain a fair amount of players on all of the servers (other than PTNT), and with Solitude coming out as an event server (and possible a permanent server) how will there be enough players to sustain decent game play without creating a down-fall on other servers? Sure, everyone will play PZS like mad for a week like they do with every new server, but that could easily change and become incredibly empty for hours a day due to school starting again, and the fact that players may not feel inclined to play it due to lack of players in the server.

Another point is that this is also premium, not classic - As ZS was a classic server it did not need advertising as players would see a free server, play on it, like it, then invite their friends to play and vice versa. However, premium has a much lower player-base than classic does, and it costs to pay for advertisements to bring in more players which would then mean more donations, I realise that bringing in more players could mean a potential influx of caring players who would donate to the community, but that is treading in a fine line and isn't worth the risk/waste of money.

zezmi

The noob himself
Reaction score
I'm really not on the side of a new server being added in addition to Solitude, it looks like a good idea but it would take payerbase away from other servers if a playerbase established. I'm not fully against it, that's why I refrained from voting, but I find I'm not for it at all.

Each side had good arguments, good logic. But in the end, I do not think that premium zombie survival should be a Bloctopia server.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
I've read your points, and here's my response:
1. Sprinting and jumping is possibly even better than just running, it makes for more fast paced gameplay, more interesting jumps and play options. Why do you want to take it out?
2. Infection, you get killed and you die. If you think there's no "outwitting" to AoD I ask you to play on the server. Novelty is not a reason to revive a dead thing.
3. I think that both breaking blocks instantly and having a pickaxe to break stone is a good idea, both have different gameplay, I think that AoD's is better though. (And more fair ^_^)
4. Why would we EVER run these two servers side by side? They're near identical other than the better gameplay in AoD
If a zombie is after you then you can go hard left at the same speed as going forward and juke the zombie and keep going. I am a God Of Brains on AoD, I play there daily. Majority of the time people are in towers or camping. Breaking blocks instantly is easier to hide and use strategy to juke zombies. Okay, so you are looking at a game where you receive a kit then you go looking for chests on a map vs You start a round with blocks and you run/hide in the map.

crashb23

The Rising Star
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to jump in with my two cents here.

Zombie was, and is, my all-time favorite server. It had great gameplay- it was geometric enough that you could observe the mechanics of most conceivable turns and jumps, but it happened at a fast enough pace to make it difficult and exhilarating, much like the later levels of Pac-Man. Personally, I see no more comparison between it and AoD than any other server. However, I do not believe Blocktopia is ready for at this point. This being said, I can imagine a future quite close where it can be used. Our playerbase as a whole just has to put forward a concerted effort to draw more people to fill our servers, if by telling your friends, or advertising in other places. I would quite like to see zombie return, but not if it ruins other perfectly good servers.

Guinessis

Reaction score
Eh, I've typed out several lengthy responses but since nobody actually reads those massive walls of text I'll keep it simple.

CZS died out. People stopped playing. And while there were some issues with classic, it didn't stop the server from hitting full population the last few days. Lots of people were clearly able to connect, they just weren't bothering until nostalgia kicked in. And nostalgia isn't enough to build a lasting server.

I support Lil97's approach. Identify what you loved most about Zombie. Identify what you didn't love quite so much. Go from there.

I think the biggest obstacle you'll face is addressing how to keep the server fun when the player count is low. How do you address the issue of the single zombie running in a loop around the map forever without any teammates to help him find people or help him flank people? AoD has /locate, hunger, ranged attacks, etc. What can you add to PZS that keeps it fun for you but also makes it work when you have fewer players?

Focus on implementing something that clearly differentiates it from AoD. Personally, I like the racing/parkour idea.

• Agree
Reactions: Notme and LizzzyxD

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
Eh, I've typed out several lengthy responses but since nobody actually reads those massive walls of text I'll keep it simple.

CZS died out. People stopped playing. And while there were some issues with classic, it didn't stop the server from hitting full population the last few days. Lots of people were clearly able to connect, they just weren't bothering until nostalgia kicked in. And nostalgia isn't enough to build a lasting server.

I support Lil97's approach. Identify what you loved most about Zombie. Identify what you didn't love quite so much. Go from there.

I think the biggest obstacle you'll face is addressing how to keep the server fun when the player count is low. How do you address the issue of the single zombie running in a loop around the map forever without any teammates to help him find people or help him flank people? AoD has /locate, hunger, ranged attacks, etc. What can you add to PZS that keeps it fun for you but also makes it work when you have fewer players?

Focus on implementing something that clearly differentiates it from AoD. Personally, I like the racing/parkour idea.
Actual zombies (mobs) that are put on places around the map that can also infect you. With the new distance they can see you from it could be quit a challenge. However they do suck at jumping =C

JtTorso

Reaction score
Many months ago when talk of a premium zombie survival came out, I was speaking to Awwwyea about it over steam. I was telling him about all the new features a premium zombie survival server could have, things like potions, fall damage, enchantments, gathering resources much like in RoF, but Awww simply said something along the lines of 'AoD has all those things.' And quite frankly, he was right.

If zombies is go to premium I absolutely do not want to see it as an exact replica of it's classic brother, what's the point in it being premium if all these new things that are available are going to be ignored? But if we bring these new things it it'll end up being like AoD, I feel that the two servers are too different but too similar to exist. Even as a "classic gamemode" on AoD (as I believe someone may have suggested) it still won't satisfy anyone, and for these reasons I've become undecided on my opinion of a premium zombie survival

Pikmon2

Reaction score
BUT, I will fully support a PZS that embodies the classic zombie but embraces the features of gameplay that premium has to offer.

just, thank you. Even if I think we need more players before we could handle another server, embracing premium is the step to getting this idea to be fresh and creative, and maybe garner more players so this server COULD happen. Good job Lily!

Txboy1234

Reaction score
People keep mentioning Solitude. I never played it until this recent release. I saw a post a while back while Solitude was just coming out and correct me if I am wrong about this but the post talked about Solitude being released 2 other times before this and were taken out due to no one playing it.

Is this correct? If so why are we concerned about a low player count when this has happened to Solitude twice before? Please tell me this isn't so.

Our playerbase as a whole just has to put forward a concerted effort to draw more people to fill our servers, if by telling your friends, or advertising in other places. I would quite like to see zombie return, but not if it ruins other perfectly good servers.

What crash said I believe is totally true. We have voting done on Minestatus for people to up vote the server. If everyone did this on a daily basis, that could very well get some more people into this community and bring enough people for more servers.

At first I thought it all had to do with paid advertisements, but no it seems a lot of the servers that have the most people in them are done by people within the servers up voting them.

Sometimes the simplest ideas can be the best ones.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
People keep mentioning Solitude. I never played it until this recent release. I saw a post a while back while Solitude was just coming out and correct me if I am wrong about this but the post talked about Solitude being released 2 other times before this and were taken out due to no one playing it.

Is this correct? If so why are we concerned about a low player count when this has happened to Solitude twice before? Please tell me this isn't so.
It is being run as an event server if the popularity continues to be high after that it will become a regular server.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
It is being run as an event server if the popularity continues to be high after that it will become a regular server.

Ok but isn't Solitude taking people away from the other servers? Can't this server be used as a event server to see how it goes also?
"Its too risky of an investment to test the server 4-6 weeks" I agree to see if the server takes AoD numbers then zombie shuts down and if both servers have good numbers than the issue is solved.

Sploorky

Reaction score
Again, diving in to clear up misconceptions.

The only issue preventing this from moving forward being if it is added it takes half of AoDs population and hurts both servers being there.
Nope, that's 1 of the 3 'major' issues to why we declined the server.

This version of solitude has about 10 times the work and effort put into it than previous versions. It's not readding a server, it's re-imagining it.

What crash said I believe is totally true. We have voting done on Minestatus for people to up vote the server. If everyone did this on a daily basis, that could very well get some more people into this community and bring enough people for more servers.
Problem is, no one has ever continuously voted day after day until we got recognition.

Not set in stone yet, assumptions are bad to make.

Ok but isn't Solitude taking people away from the other servers? Can't this server be used as a event server to see how it goes also?
It is not the issue of "Server A taking people away from server B." It is "Server A has the exact same concept as server B, and for a community of our scale of players, having two 'core' concepts will lead to the demise of one server." We're not going to endanger the safety of AoD's lifespan unless we are sure the two servers wouldn't clash.

"Its too risky of an investment to test the server 4-6 weeks" I agree to see if the server takes AoD numbers then zombie shuts down and if both servers have good numbers than the issue is solved.
Thinking too short term there, bud.

Here's how things work.

New player logs onto lobby, they see two servers(lets ignore the other ones). AoD and Premium zombie survival. One server has 6 players, the other 10. New player goes on server with 10 players, because it has more. Time goes on, it snowballs, and one server gets deserted 9 times out of 10, leading to it shutting down, and us having to figure out what we are able to do with the staff and director of the server without a home, as well as the loyal players of the server we had to shut down.

I would also like to note that when classic zombie survival closed, it had 0 players most of the time. If it was constantly full, or even half full, there is an amazing argument there. But it wasn't, and I simply do not think it will always be full or with a healthy playerbase simply because we ported it.

Reactions: Notme and zezmi

Lily97

That American Idiot
Reaction score
Just re-read through this thread and something came up that confused me...
Hockeyfan1852 Are you actually trying to promote a Premium Zombie Survival or are you just trying to argue why Classic Zombie Survival closed down? The majority of your comments talk about either the classic server java bugs and glitches and/or the fluctuations in the player base on specific servers. Without repeating the same things over and over, why do you think a ported over replica PZS could benefit the community keeping in mind the major issues that caused the idea of a replica to be shut down in the first place? And after being already shut downand a 'firm' no.... How is the hope of a replica server realistic?

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
The only thing that really pissed me off about the admins decision that I never mentioned was that we were open for change, meaning if you wanted/thought sprinting should be enabled, we'd enable it -

However, no sprinting/insta-break blocks were some reasons of its denial.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
-double post editing button is not working-

I'd also like to say how I was upset on the notion that didn't even get a chance to be public tested. Honestly, when I was reading the poll votes, it sounded idiotic for the reason that people didn't know what we we're doing in this project. No, we we're not creating a replica, we we're doing something new while following the same underlying concept - we were using full utilization of the features of Minecraft Premium and adding things Classic Zombie never dreamed of.

It also angered me on how Malcovent gave an approval then after development got very far it was ultimately denied by the administration team as a whole, even after they all said it was unique, interesting concept.

Personally, I don't know if it will work, honestly - but I think it should at the very least deserve a test or a shot at something. Blocktopia has not much to lose, if anything negative comes out of it - we close it. We had the development partially done, we have staff, and supporters. Oh and dedicated server.

Welp, those are my two cents.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
Just re-read through this thread and something came up that confused me...
Hockeyfan1852 Are you actually trying to promote a Premium Zombie Survival or are you just trying to argue why Classic Zombie Survival closed down? The majority of your comments talk about either the classic server java bugs and glitches and/or the fluctuations in the player base on specific servers. Without repeating the same things over and over, why do you think a ported over replica PZS could benefit the community keeping in mind the major issues that caused the idea of a replica to be shut down in the first place? And after being already shut downand a 'firm' no.... How is the hope of a replica server realistic?
People were saying that classic shut down because players stopped playing it and it was because of the bugs of classic so how is a premium replica bad?

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me these unique concepts that Premium Zombies was going to have? Something that isn't a direct parallel to AoD. Edit: Preferably Mikey he seems to be the only one to have mentioned them

Hockeyfan1852 What do you mean a "hard left"? Jumping, running? If you're running in AoD it doesn't suddenly inhibit your ability to juke.
I will concede; however, I don't know the metagame of AoD - it can be perfectly possible that people are camping every round, but if this is true that means if they're caught they scatter and it becomes a game of chasing, if they're not caught someone needs to take closer looks at map designs, and possibly rule changes - it doesn't need a new server for that.

Reactions: Pikmon2

Lily97

That American Idiot
Reaction score
Hockeyfan1852 So you posted this thread more to clarify points and state how ZS and AoD differ? Also... people have given clear points on why a replica couldn't or shouldn't happen. It's honestly time to let that idea go. Would it really be so bad to accept the idea of and support a modified and truly "Premium" Zombie Survival? Or are you seriously going to continue arguing for an idea that even those who truly loved CZS have come to see as more than unlikely...

I'm very sorry to put you out in the open like this, but at this point, it's outright ridiculous. The only hope (sounds so dramatic) of a Premium Zombie Survival that we have at this point that is feasible is one that embraces premium features *massive hint hint nudge nudge to Mike's post*
Mikey said:
No, we we're not creating a replica, we we're doing something new while following the same underlying concept - we were using full utilization of the features of Minecraft Premium and adding things Classic Zombie never dreamed of.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me these unique concepts that Premium Zombies was going to have? Something that isn't a direct parallel to AoD. Edit: Preferably Mikey he seems to be the only one to have mentioned them

Hockeyfan1852 What do you mean a "hard left"? Jumping, running? If you're running in AoD it doesn't suddenly inhibit your ability to juke.
I will concede; however, I don't know the metagame of AoD - it can be perfectly possible that people are camping every round, but if this is true that means if they're caught they scatter and it becomes a game of chasing, if they're not caught someone needs to take closer looks at map designs, and possibly rule changes - it doesn't need a new server for that.
If you try to go left to avoid a zombie you would be at a walking pace.

EDIT: and yes people are building staircases and stacking towers and just camp them

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score

EDIT: and yes people are building staircases and stacking towers and just camp them
Turn your view left then continue on your merry sprintjumping way

• Winner
Reactions: Pikmon2

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score

Turn your view left then continue on your merry sprintjumping way
Okay so in zombie running you have your back to the wall and look for gaps and moves to get around them and you rapidly change direction and use two keys at the same time.
Also: Lily97 If there was a premium server that was like classic besides a scoreboard keeping time instead of the command /time would you play it?

Status
Not open for further replies.