[Premium] Zombie Survival Discussion

Do you support Premium Zombie? (Don't vote until 100% sure on either side)

• Yes

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 41.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
Make sure you read the thread before voting.

The reason behind creating this thread is to give players insight on the possibilities of premium zombie survival. Before you say "Oh god not another one of these threads" read through it and then point out things about this that make the server not worthy of a test.

Gameplay:
This will give a description on how gameplay would work on the server and how it is unique from the current existing servers. It will go in depth on the various aspects that will make this server different.

1. Sprint and Jumping
Currently, there is a way to get rid of sprinting and doing so makes all jumps the same as they were in classic. 1x2 are still difficult yet possible etc. Jumping while moving will not make you any faster than in classic.

2. Infection
Infection is possible by running through players though when I tried making the server. I ran into issues but Mikey and Chillingworth figured it out and tested it. Infection is one of the key gameplay factors in zombie. Running through players is unique there has been no publicly released plugins of this style of infection. Zombie is not anything like these gamemodes PvP(AoD, TNT, Hunger Games Etc.) it is not Survival (Prim, SMP, JtE etc.) or Creative
(Buildbox, Flatworld etc.) It is its own gamemode that does not exist on Blocktopia or any other server to anyones knowledge.

3. Breaking/Building Blocks
Being able to instantly break blocks is another feature that the zombie server would need to add. My breakthroughs were being able to use one item (stone fist etc.) and break 2x faster than classic. Though Mike and Chill may have already gotten a working plugin for this. As for building blocks it is pretty simple to set up with command blocks and should be very easy to code a plugin for it.

4. Rotation/Map Voting
There are a lot of plugins that can cover this and is in AoD. This is the only comparable thing between AoD and Zombie. If you would really like to debate about how map voting and rotation play a huge factor in the gameplay of the server feel free to do so.

Issues:
This brief intro to the section is to try to answer some of the concerns I have seen people make against why this should not be a server and I will try to answer these to the best of my ability.

1. The reason zombie shut down was because of a low/dying player base.
Classic zombie ran into a lot of issues near the shutdown. There was the heartbeat issue which was in my opinion the start of a huge decline. So, zombie went down for I believe it was 5 days and of course all the status were "I miss zombie" etc. Then when zombie comes back up there were two big issues. 1. All the stats were reset so players progress was lost and there were a ton of angered people and a few left. To make matters worse the skins could never be repaired so you could not see the zombie skin or players skin which was also a downer. There was also the issue of when players broke a block and the game menu popped up.Then minecraft decided to start hiding classic from players and near the end you had to type minecraft.net/classic to get to the classic servers. So then zombie loses new players and then by server shut down there was still 5-10 players (Ansoro, Hype, Rose etc.) That were still on everyday and a few old players dropping in to see a dieing zombie server. There were also the other classic servers not doing well/getting 0-5 player a day so that is why classic died. There is still a large player base that would play the server daily.

2. Zombie is like AoD.
I touched on the topic a bit in the infection and rotation section of the gameplay. I would like to say that of the four aspects of gameplay that have been discussed (Sprint, Infection, Build/Break and Rotation) The only thing that this server has in common with AoD is rotation/map voting. AoD is known as our PvP server in minecraft premium in general there are a lot of PvP servers/games so why would blocktopia want another PvP server? I will point out that zombie is not a PvP server. It is a server that humans avoid zombies and using running and hiding skills to outwit zombies and survive the round. AoD if you try that swords have a 4 block radius and a bow has 70+ blocks of range. Well, what about tag mode? Tag mode on AoD uses the rotten flesh which still has a 4 block range so if you are being chased you can't go up a latter. In tag mode you can't run around the person chasing you if you go left or right you lose your speed and sprint. Tag mode on AoD is a waste for the people who come to PvP and AoD should go back to the way it was being our PvP server.

3. We would have to raise the donation amount.
We have a lot of generous donors and are making our donation goal in 2-10 days. We can support one more server that will help our player base expand. I don't see why this is addressed as a major concern. If it was 20-25 days into the month before filling donations then it would pose an issue.
4. Wouldn't making this server take too long?
The server is needs only a small amount of work due to majority of the work done by the playerbase. It is well developed and could be ready to launch in a matter of a few weeks.​
Closing Points
The server was player built and deserves at least a test. Chill and Mike can go more in depth into infection because Sour and I never got a working plugin of it. Now before you decide to post a comment on the thread, I want you to keep this a discussion and not not insult the players due to their opinions. If you choose to counter something said please counter a paragraph or sector and not single sentences that don't mean much unless in the paragraph. Now after an understanding the server in premium you can now vote on the poll.​
If you skimmed this go back and read it again to get a full understanding on what is being talked about.

Sploorky

Reaction score
Considering the constant revival of this topic...would you like me to compile the 50 responses to the PZS poll into a pastebin for everyone to read?

Keep in mind, all aspects of creating the server was considered. We decided the cons outweighed the pros, and I apologize for saying this, but I do not think a fairly 1 to 1 port of classic to premium is advantageous, especially considering most of the "For" was dipped in nostalgic undertones.

nitasu987

Reaction score
I agree with Notty

I remember when I started playing Zombie, and even more when I got you addicted to it ;)
It was GREAT! We had a great staff, great maps, great energy and lots of riveting fun. Then it died...
But now I think we have the resources/technology to make PZombie happen, but what I think the main problem would be is that PZombie would probably have to compete with AoD, BB, RoF, JtE, and Solitude, and that's a lot.

I really hope PZombie gets a chance, great thread dude :D

BUUUT Sploorky makes a really good point. This does get brought up a lot.

77thShad

Ayy lmao
Reaction score
I feel if this were to be put up permanently, eventually we would have to pick between AoD and PZombie. As you said that there is only the rotation similar, there is also the survival aspect where the goal of both servers is to survive. There also has to be at least 6-8+ on either server for it to be fun. I'm sorry but I just like AoD better. If we could have both then yes I would say so but blocktopia doesn't have numbers to keep both servers high in activity.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
Considering the constant revival of this topic...would you like me to compile the 50 responses to the PZS poll into a pastebin for everyone to read?

Keep in mind, all aspects of creating the server was considered. We decided the cons outweighed the pros, and I apologize for saying this, but I do not think a fairly 1 to 1 port of classic to premium is advantageous, especially considering most of the "For" was dipped in nostalgic undertones.
The thread is explaining to players how a premium zombie server would function and that there was a development of it that was 90% complete so it deserved a test run. This thread is the only thread so far that is informing players of the server. This will give a poll reading of informed players that know what the server will be like. You can't blindly say what do think about a premium zombie server with no information and players not even sure it is possible.

EDIT: 77_is_the_best and nitasu987 Sorry edit is not working and it is being weird when I try to add your posts. There are players in the community that are only on the forum/Teamspeak and old zombie players for example kraby who are saying they want to come back but need something to pull them back in. Those are the players that will raise the player base for this server. Also 77 I disagree with your point of AoD and PZS competing. I don't know if anyone else feels this way but AoD feels like blocktopias only real PvP server with kits and chests, but I would like to thank you for bringing up the point

Sploorky

Reaction score

The thread is explaining to players how a premium zombie server would function and that there was a development of it that was 90% complete so it deserved a test run. This thread is the only thread so far that is informing players of the server. This will give a poll reading of informed players that know what the server will be like. You can't blindly say what do think about a premium zombie server with no information and players not even sure it is possible.
Concept before execution. If half the people who voted in the poll think the mere concept of premium zombie survival wasn't worth delving into, why would knowing specifics change their mind?

Moving on because I don't want this to be a back and forth argument...I'll get a pastebin of the responses for you all soon.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score

Concept before execution. If half the people who voted in the poll think the mere concept of premium zombie survival wasn't worth delving into, why would knowing specifics change their mind?

Moving on because I don't want this to be a back and forth argument...I'll get a pastebin of the responses for you all soon.
I didn't even vote on it because we thought it was just a way to get rid of zombie discussions and doubted it was possible. Now we know it is possible and we have a ton of players that don't play any other servers to support it. There are of course people that won't play the server but every server has that. My server for example I won't play is RoF. I believe if you tested the server you would be surprised how many people will become active again.

• Winner
Reactions: _4_

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I think even a small event test-run could be fun, I mean, they deserve it for all that effort. I don't think it would clash with AoD, because even TAG mode is vastly different to Zombie. Sprinting, hunger, hit range, items and other aspects all get thrown in, and the end result is something completely different (not no mention on most TAG maps Survivors are given Speed II also, while Hunters get nothing)
I partly agree with this, but surely this will hold lots of appeal to many people, especially if words gets out. I mean, you saw how many clones of Zombie there were, and every one was popular. I reckon this could be a good thing, but that's just me.

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I just don't see this working. What new players would join for a premium representation of an old idea which died out? Converting this old gameplay into premium completely goes against all of the new additions from newer versions, and rereleasing this would be like a major company rereleasing a game from the 90s for a new system. Sure it'd be 'on a new platform', said platform being premium Minecraft, but gameplay would be stale and ancient compared to that of a newer server developed from the ground up. I guarantee most of you voting for Premium Zombie are doing so via rose tinted glasses alone. There will be no 'new generation' of players because nobody is actively searching for 'old school zombie servers' on premium. Also, bear in mind that Zombie would be fighting for players with the current servers which aren't always populated, which would leave more of our servers high and dry. In my opinion, this wouldn't be worth it.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
I just don't see this working. What new players would join for a premium representation of an old idea which died out? Converting this old gameplay into premium completely goes against all of the new additions from newer versions, and rereleasing this would be like a major company rereleasing a game from the 90s for a new system. Sure it'd be 'on a new platform', said platform being premium Minecraft, but gameplay would be stale and ancient compared to that of a newer server developed from the ground up. I guarantee most of you voting for Premium Zombie are doing so via rose tinted glasses alone. There will be no 'new generation' of players because nobody is actively searching for 'old school zombie servers' on premium. Also, bear in mind that Zombie would be fighting for players with the current servers which aren't always populated, which would leave more of our servers high and dry. In my opinion, this wouldn't be worth it.
Classic zombie ran into a lot of issues near the shutdown. There was the heartbeat issue which was in my opinion the start of a huge decline. So, zombie went down for I believe it was 5 days and of course all the status were "I miss zombie" etc. Then when zombie comes back up there were two big issues. 1. All the stats were reset so players progress was lost and there were a ton of angered people and a few left. To make matters worse the skins could never be repaired so you could not see the zombie skin or players skin which was also a downer. There was also the issue of when players broke a block and the game menu popped up.Then minecraft decided to start hiding classic from players and near the end you had to type minecraft.net/classic to get to the classic servers. So then zombie loses new players and then by server shut down there was still 5-10 players (Ansoro, Hype, Rose etc.) That were still on everyday and a few old players dropping in to see a dieing zombie server. There were also the other classic servers not doing well/getting 0-5 player a day so that is why classic died. There is still a large player base that would play the server daily.

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'm not talking about why it shut down, I'm saying it wouldn't bring in new players due to archaic gameplay plus a relatively low player count in general across our current servers. Sure, your old Zombie pals would play, but who honestly would want to try out a server with ageing gameplay when they could be playing a far more advanced one not based around the restrictions of Classic?

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
I'm not talking about why it shut down, I'm saying it wouldn't bring in new players due to archaic gameplay plus a relatively low player count in general across our current servers. Sure, your old Zombie pals would play, but who honestly would want to try out a server with ageing gameplay when they could be playing a far more advanced one not based around the restrictions of Classic?
Zombies would have a unique concept bringing in a ton of new players and I am sure every player in the community would play at least one game to tell if the server is right for them. It doesn't matter if the idea is old or not. All the new innovative servers revolve around PvP games. This would bring something new to the table.

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Hockeyfan1852 You're implying it's bringing something 'new' to the table but really it's just trying to convert an old server to work with Premium. The gameplay would seem aged and new players would much rather play on a server that makes use of features rather than intentionally restricting them to seem like an outdated version of Minecraft.

Sploorky

Reaction score
http://pastebin.com/bPdaEA2t

Edited out the names of those who responded, and did not bother adding in the responses saying "maybe".

This is not including the opinions of the administration, and I am not bringing up why we declined it(which goes a lot further into the situation than a simple case of "Those who like it versus those who don't." Servers need to appeal to new players as well, not just existing ones).

I could give my two cents, but I will refrain. There's a lot to the situation, and denying the server wasn't an easy decision, but it was one that was thought over for at least a week. Keep that in mind, please.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
Hockeyfan1852 You're implying it's bringing something 'new' to the table but really it's just trying to convert an old server to work with Premium. The gameplay would seem aged and new players would much rather play on a server that makes use of features rather than intentionally restricting them to seem like an outdated version of Minecraft.
Its new because this will be the 2nd time someone was able to create a zombie server. The first one was a dev in 2012 made the plugin and never had the time to update it. That server got 40+ players a day. Please tell me what the server is restricting? PvP? (Overused)

Pikmon2

Reaction score
I feel if this were to be put up permanently, eventually we would have to pick between AoD and PZombie. As you said that there is only the rotation similar, there is also the survival aspect where the goal of both servers is to survive. There also has to be at least 6-8+ on either server for it to be fun. I'm sorry but I just like AoD better. If we could have both then yes I would say so but blocktopia doesn't have numbers to keep both servers high in activity.

It's like you stole the words from my mouth

• Agree
Reactions: Henry

SmoggyWaffles

Reaction score
http://pastebin.com/bPdaEA2t

Edited out the names of those who responded, and did not bother adding in the responses saying "maybe".

This is not including the opinions of the administration, and I am not bringing up why we declined it(which goes a lot further into the situation than a simple case of "Those who like it versus those who don't." Servers need to appeal to new players as well, not just existing ones).

I could give my two cents, but I will refrain. There's a lot to the situation, and denying the server wasn't an easy decision, but it was one that was thought over for at least a week. Keep that in mind, please.
You said there was more negative :(
There is more positive.

Sploorky

Reaction score
Please tell me what the server is restricting? PvP? (Overused)
What I'm thinking priz is getting at is...
No hunger, no normal block breaking, no tools or items. A lot of which would make minecraft premium would be stripped away. Good idea or not? I'm impartial to this thread.

Unrelated:

Keep in mind that the minecraft community is ever changing. Because something worked in 2012, 2011, 2010 does not mean it will always work in 2013, at least not on a larger scale level.

You said there was more negative :(

There is more positive.
For all intents and purposes, I view it as a 50/50 tie. A couple more votes for one side than the other is not a big deal to account for in the long run.

Again, remember. The poll was never made to put a vote as to if Premium zombie should be made. It was for the administration to get public opinion from a wide spectrum of players.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
80% of the negative compared it to a kit-PvP server. (AoD) So, on AoD you get a kit then you go look for chests to PvP with. Tag never worked for AoD and should be removed as one of the negative comments even said everyone complains about the tag mode which is correct. Every server changes Premium, vanilla minecraft would be boring. Every server do not need to be fancy like Primadora with 100's of plugins, a simple server can be fun. So, a run/hide concept will eliminate a kit-PvP server. Will solitude kill JtE they are both survival servers but Solitude is simple. Most of the complaints have been addressed in this thread.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
You also skipped points about how it would kill AoD, lower other server player bases, and ruin the time for people who don't like playing zombie and see everyone on zombie and not TNT/AoD/Solitude/JtE ( I assume RoF would keep close numbers.)

• Dislike
Reactions: Henry

SmoggyWaffles

Reaction score
80% of the negative compared it to a kit-PvP server. (AoD) So, on AoD you get a kit then you go look for chests to PvP with. Tag never worked for AoD and should be removed as one of the negative comments even said everyone complains about the tag mode which is correct. Every server changes Premium, vanilla minecraft would be boring. Every server do not need to be fancy like Primadora with 100's of plugins, a simple server can be fun. So, a run/hide concept will eliminate a kit-PvP server. Will solitude kill JtE they are both survival servers but Solitude is simple. Most of the complaints have been addressed in this thread.
This. I like this.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
You also skipped points about how it would kill AoD, lower other server player bases, and ruin the time for people who don't like playing zombie and see everyone on zombie and not TNT/AoD/Solitude/JtE ( I assume RoF would keep close numbers.)
I said "How will a run/hide server kill a kit-PvP server" I am sure as hell going to keep playing AoD because I like to PvP. I look at the people on RoF and shake my head. So, you are basically now saying you think that zombie will have too much success as a server?

L

Later_Gator

Please, stop using that as a point of opposition; it's stupid. Of course it'll lower the populations of the other servers. That's inevitable when you introduce any new server. That will happen when Solitude is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.