Is it Time for a New SMP Server?

Is it time for a new SMP Server?

• Yes, I want a server with PvP and a structure like one of the previous servers (SMP?, Primordia).

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • Yes, I want a server with PvE like JtE, but with a different structure.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Yes, I want a server with PvP, but a totally new structure.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • No, I love JtE!

Votes: 24 29.3%

• Total voters

Henry

Reaction score
With all due respect superstein, do you expect us to PvE forever? People like asaechao, the richest person on JtE, is quiting. This is because there is NOTHING to do. We're already rich as fuck, it's about time we should be able to use that to our advantage and make armor to PvP! Having a chest full of diamond blocks means nothing when you CAN'T do SHIT with it. Honestly, what do you expect us to make, 9 large chests of diamond picks, 69 large chests of diamond hoes?

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
With all due respect superstein, do you expect us to PvE forever? People like asaechao, the richest person on JtE, is quiting. This is because there is NOTHING to do. We're already rich as fuck, it's about time we should be able to use that to our advantage and make armor to PvP! Having a chest full of diamond blocks means nothing when you CAN'T do SHIT with it. Honestly, what do you expect us to make, 9 large chests of diamond picks, 69 large chests of diamond hoes?
I think it's about time I put my two cents worth in, first off, there isn't anyone in JtE who has a chest full of diamond blocks, Asaechao maybe have had around 2 stacks and I know Nottycat had about the same (I say had as he spent most of them last auction of mine lol), but most people have no where near that much.
Secondly, all this talk about pvp, now, I have read all the complaints about how the server should be fully pvp and what I can't understand is this: If there is such a majority of people who want to pvp, why don't they all just go wandering through the pvp zone looking for a battle?
I know at one point Hockeyfan along with some other Esper members were dueling in the pvp zone and there were plenty of people fighting then, even myself.
Thing is, and it has been explained before, the pvp zone allows you to choose when you want to fight, if you want to be fighting all the time then shout your coords in main chat. If there are indeed plenty of pvp'ers around they will come running I'm sure. Lastly I'd like to finish up by saying that if everyone really is RICH then it should be very low risk for them if they get ambushed in pvp as they have like 20 sets of diamond armour at home, or is that not what Henry is saying.
Oh actually just one last thing about the activity of JtE, if there isn't 20 players+ on the weekend when I host my next auction, I'll eat my walking stick.
Cheers

French_Fries

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Like Ummm..?? I can't remember their name said "There is always room for Improvement". I think JTE is the bombdigidi don't get me wrong but I think like allot of people have said it's Lost it's magic touch. I think it could improve with the whole structure of it and adapt it like Solitude was with the Clans at each others neck trying to Take over and the whole suspense when a Clan secretly raided another ;)

Overall, JtE is my favourite Minecraft server I've ever Joined in Minecraft. I hope the legacy of JTE lives on if they create a New Smp server!

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
I think it's about time I put my two cents worth in, first off, there isn't anyone in JtE who has a chest full of diamond blocks, Asaechao maybe have had around 2 stacks and I know Nottycat had about the same (I say had as he spent most of them last auction of mine lol), but most people have no where near that much.
Secondly, all this talk about pvp, now, I have read all the complaints about how the server should be fully pvp and what I can't understand is this: If there is such a majority of people who want to pvp, why don't they all just go wandering through the pvp zone looking for a battle?
I know at one point Hockeyfan along with some other Esper members were dueling in the pvp zone and there were plenty of people fighting then, even myself.
Thing is, and it has been explained before, the pvp zone allows you to choose when you want to fight, if you want to be fighting all the time then shout your coords in main chat. If there are indeed plenty of pvp'ers around they will come running I'm sure. Lastly I'd like to finish up by saying that if everyone really is RICH then it should be very low risk for them if they get ambushed in pvp as they have like 20 sets of diamond armour at home, or is that not what Henry is saying.
Oh actually just one last thing about the activity of JtE, if there isn't 20 players+ on the weekend when I host my next auction, I'll eat my walking stick.
Cheers
Well, I kind of see the point Henry is trying to make but he could have done it in a better way. So, first henry completely exaggerated, I think the point he is try to make (correct me if I'm wrong Henry) is that the towns have reached a mature stage where they have enough resources stockpiled and have no use for them. As for PvP currently the poll says that majority support PvP, now as for JtE PvP it is rare the only two major PvP fights were just us in PvP having a good time and the Ai vs Esper war. Majority of the people supporting PvP left to play on other blocktopia servers, another point I would like to add is since the server has matured a ton, a new player joins they have to join an oversized clan where they build a house and never log back on or they look for space to build with resources which is starting to get low on the map. I don't understand how a compromise wouldn't please both sides of the argument. Keep the old clan system and enable PvP then use Shops, Dungeons, Auctions, and Events like Mercantia from JtE into a server that both sides can agree on.

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Cheers
Well, I kind of see the point Henry is trying to make but he could have done it in a better way. So, first henry completely exaggerated, I think the point he is try to make (correct me if I'm wrong Henry) is that the towns have reached a mature stage where they have enough resources stockpiled and have no use for them.
Can I ask? Which towns are there that you can think of that are actually at that point?

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Can I ask? Which towns are there that you can think of that are actually at that point?
Crucia, Snowfall, Wizards, Ai, and Esper
Quite sure Crashb23 didn't want you using Esper as an example, they definately aren't at that stage if you were keeping up with things.
Snowfall- death by LoL, if they were still here they would be pvp'ing and expanding their docklands I'm sure.
Crucia- leadership collapse, also recruited a number of inactive members, I think you might notice there are still unbuilt sections of the city around too. (NogTrog I'm sorry D:)
Ai- not sure what happened there, they were aiming for city last I saw though.
Wizards- well thats another leadership type thing too, Roob is only standing in until Malcovent is able to make a return also they have that floating island thing being built as well.
So unless you can truly find an example of towns having no use for their rescources your point is therefore invalid.

Shocker

Reaction score
JtE can't go. It must live.
If you want to pvp, why not say 'Hey, I'm doing pvp meet me at castra gate!' or 'Hey, wanna have a fist fight? Meet at Castra!' Even if the towns are dieing, you can still make new towns. I'm a leader of crucia. If I had leader perms, I would invite people to try and get our power back. Even if you 1 000 000 diamonds and want to pvp, you can always do it with someone who is online, or you can get no armour and fist-fight. And the dieing towns that have no people, you can always try and re-build them. It's common sense no offense

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
Quite sure Crashb23 didn't want you using Esper as an example, they definately aren't at that stage if you were keeping up with things.
Snowfall- death by LoL, if they were still here they would be pvp'ing and expanding their docklands I'm sure.
Crucia- leadership collapse, also recruited a number of inactive members, I think you might notice there are still unbuilt sections of the city around too. (NogTrog I'm sorry D:)
Wizards- well thats another leadership type thing too, Roob is only standing in until Malcovent is able to make a return also they have that floating island thing being built as well.
So unless you can truly find an example of towns having no use for their rescources your point is therefore invalid.
Esper castle is filled all rooms finish which is why they are building outside the castle. Snowfall had 20+ members at one point they all didn't go to LoL, they got bored when they got city and expanded far enough. Crucia was expanding house wise out the inner buildings were finished. Ai filled a few islands of buildings. Wizards completed their tower nothing to expand except resources.

EDIT:
JtE can't go. It must live.
If you want to pvp, why not say 'Hey, I'm doing pvp meet me at castra gate!' or 'Hey, wanna have a fist fight? Meet at Castra!' Even if the towns are dieing, you can still make new towns. I'm a leader of crucia. If I had leader perms, I would invite people to try and get our power back. Even if you 1 000 000 diamonds and want to pvp, you can always do it with someone who is online, or you can get no armour and fist-fight. And the dieing towns that have no people, you can always try and re-build them. It's common sense no offense
No one ever fights anymore, I don't see why people feel that they need to keep the server running as long as possible. Refreshing the map is part of SMP and majority of us want to re-add PvP and to comprise we use JtE features into the the new server. The new server needs 2-7 weeks to build and prepare so JtE will last 8-9 months then if we start planning a new server right now. The last map the refresh was a shock at about 6 months in to improve the SMP server. The refresh give players a chance to start over and gives staff time to make important changes to the server.

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Esper castle is filled all rooms finish which is why they are building outside the castle. Snowfall had 20+ members at one point they all didn't go to LoL, they got bored when they got city and expanded far enough. Crucia was expanding house wise out the inner buildings were finished. Ai filled a few islands of buildings. Wizards completed their tower nothing to expand except resources.
However the point remains they still have ways of using their rescources, they still have methods of expansion etc. To say they have no use for them at all, like you just suggested, is false which is the point I am trying to make.

• Agree
Reactions: Shocker

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
However the point remains they still have ways of using their rescources, they still have methods of expansion etc. To say they have no use for them at all, like you just suggested, is false which is the point I am trying to make.
The new server needs 2-7 weeks to build and prepare so JtE will last 8-9 months then if we start planning a new server right now. So, basically majority of the players want PvP we add JtE features to it and this: The refresh give players a chance to start over and gives staff time to make important changes to the server. So, what is the reasoning for keep the server running this long?

Shocker

Reaction score
The new server needs 2-7 weeks to build and prepare so JtE will last 8-9 months then if we start planning a new server right now. So, basically majority of the players want PvP we add JtE features to it and this: The refresh give players a chance to start over and gives staff time to make important changes to the server. So, what is the reasoning for keep the server running this long?
I hope the staff encourage players to get out of the safety of pve and into the dangers of pvp. We could also hold an annual pvp event, where everyone has to run around the pvp zone and pvp.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
I hope the staff encourage players to get out of the safety of pve and into the dangers of pvp. We could also hold an annual pvp event, where everyone has to run around the pvp zone and pvp.

Shocker

Reaction score
The server keeps running because JtE is our only SMP server. If they start a new server, I think they should have these features
. Economy
. Clans
. Half of the map pvp, half of the map pve
. mcMMO
. Quests
. Dungeons
. A world that is on adventure mode, pvp is on and all you have is a wood sword. You have to try and kill others
. And of course, staff and activity

EDIT: I think we should stop arguing. This is getting a bit overhead

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score
Due to the whole More PvP thing... and even the idea of a new map going around, I sent a suggestion to superstein about two hours ago. I thought it would be nice to make that public as this is getting more heated, feel free to add more to this, or criticize it.
Dear Superstein,

First off I would like to say Hi! Never really talked with you I do not think. Maybe back in the classic Zombie days if you were there. Also this is something you probably do not want to read especially from someone who does not even play on JTE. I am completely find if you want to disregard this, and I won't get butthurt.

I would like to make a suggestion, and a offer. This is the option I know you do not want to do. But I would like to suggestion making a new map, or server. I have experience with map making, large and small. So whats better than a new map, but a completely custom terrain to go with it? It would help attract people just based on how its different than normal minecraft. Making the map itself would probably only take a week for just the terrain, there will most likely be no cave systems, but still having caverns. Although I can do caves, it will just take longer (maybe).

This still probably does not help you. That's where this second suggestion comes in with the map making. I can design/make a map where it's basically split in half, in thirds or any fraction really. But half works the best in my own opinion. basically two separate areas; PvP, and PvE. This way you can appease both groups. I was thinking of two lands one to the left one to the right, with a large body of water, or a large river in the middle separating each side. I'm not sure how good plugins are to keep PvP at the PvP area and not in the PvE area, if it can work it might be worth a shot. Also there will be a spawn, and maybe other towns in the "middle" of the water. Both acting as a bridge and trading hub, safe area, rest area, and maybe even a housing area for people to build or "buy" there own homes.

I can design this however you want. Mountains in that area, or a lake here, plains in this area, a jungle there. Even mountains or a ocean cutting off the map from the rest of the normally generated Minecraft world. Even though this offer is only for the terrain, I am capable and willing to help build actual structures, towns, or dungeons.

Regards,
Butamou

P.S. If you want me to elaborate on certain parts I can, and again I wont get butthurt if you just want to respond with "no".

Reactions: 1 person

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Guys superstein has said no. Jte will continue on for longer, as for most of your complaints I see no reasons we need to build a new server to work with them. You may as well stop the arguing at this point since it isn't getting anyone anywhere. However if you'd like to submit ideas for the current SMP or the next SMP feel free to do so with the full understanding that it is not time for a new SMP and that the next SMP will happen whenever it becomes necessary and you will just have to be patient. Until then please try to alter any complaints into a form of constructive critisism we might be able to use for suggestions in the current server.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
Everyone keeps avoiding the underlined question.

Marnixxie

Hippo
Reaction score
I think you really underestimate how tough it is to create a new server. The servers JtE took over your estimate of "2-7 weeks" of building and preparation. As well the Primordia server took longer than your estimate. If you expect a proper server that is non-vanilla, then please have a more realistic view on how it works.

"we" start planning a new server, I think Superstein and his staff will plan a new server. Just consider that Superstein is just put on the job, he is figuring his way(s) out and eventually starts planning his own view of a good SMP server, like most of the SMP Directors before him did. Just because a majority wants it, doesn't mean that action can be taken immediately. Not to say that in my entire reign, I have only had 2 PMs about considering gameplay-change. Saying, that a thread where everyone one-up's the Director out of sudden instead of proper contacting seems a little cheap and disrespectful.

What is the reasoning to keep the server running this long? What is the reasoning for not. It takes a lots of preparation and the server itself is healthy considering players that join. Just because the core-playerbase of Blocktopia doesn't play it, doesn't mean no one plays it. Futhermore, as I said, let Superstein get comfortable with everything (if he isn't already) and give him the time to plan something new when the time comes.

Just take this as some friendly critism Hockeyfan, I only want to make you understand that everything is not as simple as it sounds. Even if Superstein is already making a plan for a new server, I hardly think that he will already announce about it. Patience is a virtue.

Hahaha00000

Reaction score
With all these arguments, I have lost by original stance in this, but I would like to point out one fact why JtE has gotten less fun to some, and also less inviting.
It's about the cohesion, in my opinion.
According to the experience I had on SMP and JtE, I had not found any cohesion in players, towns and clans. There was never much bonding of each other, which makes our servers lack a sense of warmth. No matter with PvP, or the current setting, or even with plenty of plugins, it will still be hard to find a home in JtE (that was an expression) just because it lacks a sense of belonging.
People have their own goals and achievements. Even for a clan, they aim at expansion and wealth and population growth. As for our controllers and administrators, one of their jobs is to improve the quality of gameplay on the server. However, if the players do not even have the heart to work and play together on an SMP server, everyone's going to fall apart. And when that happens, who's going to want to continue playing on the server? What's fun about it anymore?

But of course, this is only a point that I'm pointing out. I might not have the entire picture, so it might be better if we worked together to solve this crisis, instead of debating about the fate of the server.

And from my point of view, starting over the server, is just like giving up, all just because of the lack of efforts and all the criticism from others. I really appreciate our directors for being perseverant in keeping the server alive!

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
I actually wouldn't mind the return of something similar to SMP v3 or SMP v2. Those were my most active times c:
Far less drama over PvP.
Also: being honest the server without PvP has become incredibly boring.
It's a cycle of mine -> build -> mine.
I used to gather resources, build, and create in order to not only have an awesome looking city, but make sure I could defend it as well. Whenever I build something now it just feels so boring though. Only building it to look pretty. And when I want to do that, why not just go to Buildbox where I could build unhindered.

We used to have a popular saying: "If you don't like PvP, go to CMP (Creative Multiplayer)."
I'm not saying its completely true or fair, but PvP was an integral part of SMP, and I'd like to see its actual return.