Is it Time for a New SMP Server?

Is it time for a new SMP Server?

• Yes, I want a server with PvP and a structure like one of the previous servers (SMP?, Primordia).

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • Yes, I want a server with PvE like JtE, but with a different structure.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Yes, I want a server with PvP, but a totally new structure.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • No, I love JtE!

Votes: 24 29.3%

• Total voters

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Hah! You said storm, the irony!

Anyways I think we are getting some great ideas, but again this is ultimately up to superstein. However I would like to point out some things that I think are good ideas.

1. PvP at Night - I think this is a super idea. This could majorly boost the numbers playing on JtE. I also hear that it was fun to play with on one of the previous SMPs. Now to address everyone's concerns about it. Some people are wondering why people can't just go to the PvP side of the wall. That simply won't work. That's another reason why a seperate PvE and a PvP world won't work. We need PvE and PvP type players to work together, not become seperated. We need the beautiful cities and buildings and masterpieces of the PvE players (and some PvP players, you can build very nice things too :p), but we need PvP to put those things to use.

-Snip-
Hmm... that idea could work.
PvP at night... I didn't ate someones brain on SMP for almost 6 months!
What about official PvP protection for Town+, that extends 10 - 50 meters from Town+ protection zone border?

100% PvE players could travel safely trough NN ;)

Or what about PvP duel arena?

Gah, this thread is gonna get jte shut for sure...
Nope.

EDIT: This thread has already 1400 views!
Heres why i disliked your post.
Pvp at night was already tried and didnt work too well. Sure you didnt know this, and im not saying you should have, but i think that if you are gonna do pvp why make it just half?
If nether was all PvE then glowstone economy would crash, because the only competition was who would get lucky with drops.
A duel arena? Sure, but you would know what you were walking into. I like free server PvP because it sneaks up on you.
Feel free to disagree and explain ^^
EDIT: storm886 Just pointing it out, its fine that you disagreed with me, thats awesome, but im on your side :s you seemed confused about that a few posts above and i never answered. I want a server similar to primordia back, where there was a different way of pvp but there was pvp.
Umm... so what could work, sine PvP at night didn't worked well, and SMP 4 PvP was unfair for PvE players?
Town borders are dividing PvE and PvE as Storm said...
Banning diamond swords? Diamond chest plates?
Running out of ideas....

Quadrapling health of players? Halve all PvP damage? (Attributes!)
Morale system, that nerfs/buffs damage done on fly depending on defending person armor and his KDR?
EDIT: Also there could be command to switch off you from PvP... or drastically reducing all damage to player - half of heart - and same with player attack.
So we need attribute-driven PvP! (1.6)
McMMO + Attributes could do trick.

EDIT: GG ran out of ideas.

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
Hmm... that idea could work.
PvP at night... I didn't ate someones brain on SMP for almost 6 months!
What about official PvP protection for Town+, that extends 10 - 50 meters from Town+ protection zone border?

100% PvE players could travel safely trough NN ;)

Or what about PvP duel arena?

Nope.

EDIT: This thread has already 1400 views!
Heres why i disliked your post.
Pvp at night was already tried and didnt work too well. Sure you didnt know this, and im not saying you should have, but i think that if you are gonna do pvp why make it just half?
If nether was all PvE then glowstone economy would crash, because the only competition was who would get lucky with drops.
A duel arena? Sure, but you would know what you were walking into. I like free server PvP because it sneaks up on you.
Feel free to disagree and explain ^^
EDIT: storm886 Just pointing it out, its fine that you disagreed with me, thats awesome, but im on your side :s you seemed confused about that a few posts above and i never answered. I want a server similar to primordia back, where there was a different way of pvp but there was pvp.
Umm... so what could work, sine PvP at night didn't worked well, and SMP 4 PvP was unfair for PvE players?
Town borders are dividing PvE and PvE as Storm said...
Banning diamond swords? Diamond chest plates?
Running out of ideas....

Quadrapling health of players? Halve all PvP damage? (Attributes!)
Morale system, that nerfs/buffs damage done on fly depending on defending person armor and his KDR?
So we need attribute-driven PvP! (1.6)
May I ask what about PvP at night did not work well?

Reactions: Hockeyfan1852

Gameprochampion

Got the moves like Jagger!
Reaction score

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com

Gameprochampion

Reaction score
  • Confusing
Reactions: Pikmon2

Jolterino

'_>'
Mafia Host
Reaction score
So? Why not do it the faster way..?
Well.. there could be some world-editing.
Also making server is veery hard - you must have plan.
Add Plugins? Add a few buildings? Doesn't seem too difficult. That's why I'm inquiring as to why it would take so long..
If you look at Elysium, it had tonnes of pre-made towns that all look beautiful and the giant ice wall.

I'm guessing that if a plain vanilla would come out everyone would get bored after 2 weeks because there is nothing to do after you get enchanted diamond and a decent house.

Gameprochampion

Reaction score
Add Plugins? Add a few buildings? Doesn't seem too difficult. That's why I'm inquiring as to why it would take so long..
If you look at Elysium, it had tonnes of pre-made towns that all look beautiful and the giant ice wall.

I'm guessing that if a plain vanilla would come out everyone would get bored after 2 weeks because there is nothing to do after you get enchanted diamond and a decent house.
Copy other premade towns from OLD smp over or other sources?

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score

The way you can look at this is you can have PvP for the PvP people and JtE features for non-PvP players. "There is nothing to do after you get enchanted diamond and a decent house." For PvP players they can use it to fight and we could have dungeons like in JtE currently.

crashb23

The Rising Star
Reaction score
I have a question.

Why does it take so long to make a new server? Simply install plugins? Seems like a weekend project to me but I might be mistaken

Making a new server isn't as cut and dry as you would think. The first problem is plugins. Every plugin needs first to be found and installed. Then, they need to be tested, alone and in conjunction with other plugins, to make sure that they do not crash the server or cause glitches. Then, they need to be customized to best fit together with each other and with the server's theme.

The next part of making JtE was the pre-made towns. These towns differentiate between a haphazard server where you spawn in a jungle somewhere, and a well throughout server that gives you a lot to do, look at, and explore. You've remarked that we could have just copied these towns, but that would go against what we stand for. Blocktopia is a leader, not a follower, and we create new and innovative things for our players, not things stolen from other's ideas.

Finally, our staff can't spend 24 hours per day working on a new server. Beyond real life concerns, we still have to run, maintain, and moderate the existing server. In a normal situation, this takes quite a lot of our time. When a new server has to be created, we dedicate as much time as possible, but we can't get it all done at once. These things are complicated and take a lot of work.

EDIT- What do you dislike about this post? You asked a question and I tried to answer it to the best of my ability.

Pikmon2

Reaction score

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
I have a question.

Why does it take so long to make a new server? Simply install plugins? Seems like a weekend project to me but I might be mistaken

Making a new server isn't as cut and dry as you would think. The first problem is plugins. Every plugin needs first to be found and installed. Then, they need to be tested, alone and in conjunction with other plugins, to make sure that they do not crash the server or cause glitches. Then, they need to be customized to best fit together with each other and with the server's theme.

The next part of making JtE was the pre-made towns. These towns differentiate between a haphazard server where you spawn in a jungle somewhere, and a well throughout server that gives you a lot to do, look at, and explore. You've remarked that we could have just copied these towns, but that would go against what we stand for. Blocktopia is a leader, not a follower, and we create new and innovative things for our players, not things stolen from other's ideas.

Finally, our staff can't spend 24 hours per day working on a new server. Beyond real life concerns, we still have to run, maintain, and moderate the existing server. In a normal situation, this takes quite a lot of our time. When a new server has to be created, we dedicate as much time as possible, but we can't get it all done at once. These things are complicated and take a lot of work.

EDIT- What do you dislike about this post? You asked a question and I tried to answer it to the best of my ability.
To if the towns are just to protect you from spawning in a jungle somewhere, what about the spawn pyramid last map. A successful server does not need a ton of plugins, there is plenty of active JtE staff with different timezones to be online.

Gameprochampion

Reaction score
Add in one plugin at a time. If the next one crashes it, remove it/figure out how to fix it. No need to test alone. This isn't rocket science, you don't have to test ever single possible combination of plugins. No server has completely removed it's bugs before it's release. Just request the playerbase to be on the lookout for bugs which need to be fixed. Offer some incentive like we have in the past to boost player's urge to report said glitches.

I can't think of a single plugin which would need to be specifically tailored to fit with other plugins besides the permission system. To fit with the actual server, you would only need few text modifications in plugin.

Make a build contest for buildings that will be used in the next SMP. We've just recently opened a build contest for lobby designs, and in less than a week you'll be seeing possible candidates. Blocktopia is a leader. In some cases. many servers share the same theme as all of our past SMP's. Including JTE. Copying our own things is a possibility that I've already stated. If you say that we shouldn't copy our past ideas either, look towards our classic to premium shift.
Who needs staff working on a server 24 hours a day? Admins/Directors are the one's who actually need to be active for something like this to occur. And if it's a group effort it would barely take any time at all.

Umm... they were built block-by-block...
I'd rather have a server that has effort in it then a server with copy pasted towns and buildings.
Why are you looking for effort within a server? Doesn't it seem logical to expect good gameplay, replay value, etc? Why would effort be a requirement in order to gain a player's enjoyment? Who cares if someone spent 6 months building JTE, or 6 years... It's about the enjoyment you get from playing.

My friend (ijezuz) put up a server in less than a week, that produced more than 9000 dollars in less than 2 months from donations..

JohnOgozalek

Forever Shining
Reaction score
But Game, your thinking of servers as something so basic and practical, that all the magic and fun escape. Servers that are made to be...made, can be sloppy, and players can see that. You need inspiration, you need that one idea that brings forth a server. The need to express your envision to the world.

Nothing matters without that idea. Maybe Marn thought: What if there was a giant wall - on one side people could kill one another, on the other you could live and mine and talk and run and hide. Maybe he thought of King-Kong's dividing wall and from that sprang Elysium. Maybe the old staff found the tales of Elysium from old Greek mythology interesting, and they wanted to base a server in that light. Maybe Game of Thrones. That's the thing your forgetting.

Your talking sensible, rational, but its that spark that makes a server. Players can see if there's that spark, that energy from a server. I can't prove that with statistics and data and even rational speaking (seriously some people may be reading this going: what in the hell is JohnOgozalek talking about?'', but everyone can feel that. And whether people like Elysium or not, they can feel it. People put time, their thoughts, and love into the server.

It's tradition too. Sure what you say could be more time efficient, but in the end product, is it something substantial? Is it worthy of being a Blocktopian server? Can you be proud of it? I wouldn't be able to, your method is the dissection of a server. It's that tradition, the staff coming together, the inspiration, that bit of magic. This may not be the most efficient, or best way to do things, but how we make it, how we do it - with lots of hard work and painstaking effort - is what makes us this wonderful community. And that's something you can't write down or talk someone into believing (and sure I probably could have worded this better), but you just have to believe it.

Jolterino

'_>'
Mafia Host
Reaction score

The way you can look at this is you can have PvP for the PvP people and JtE features for non-PvP players. "There is nothing to do after you get enchanted diamond and a decent house." For PvP players they can use it to fight and we could have dungeons like in JtE currently.
Let's be honest, nobody PvP's because nobody is ever in the PvP side. The only things you get from dungeons are emeralds and enchanted diamond which you can get from mining anyway. I know it's supposed to be fun but it gets boring after a while.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
But Game, your thinking of servers as something so basic and practical, that all the magic and fun escape. Servers that are made to be...made, can be sloppy, and players can see that. You need inspiration, you need that one idea that brings forth a server. The need to express your envision to the world.

Nothing matters without that idea. Maybe Marn thought: What if there was a giant wall - on one side people could kill one another, on the other you could live and mine and talk and run and hide. Maybe he thought of King-Kong's dividing wall and from that sprang Elysium. Maybe the old staff found the tales of Elysium from old Greek mythology interesting, and they wanted to base a server in that light. Maybe Game of Thrones. That's the thing your forgetting.

Your talking sensible, rational, but its that spark that makes a server. Players can see if there's that spark, that energy from a server. I can't prove that with statistics and data and even rational speaking (seriously some people may be reading this going: what in the hell is JohnOgozalek talking about?'', but everyone can feel that. And whether people like Elysium or not, they can feel it. People put time, their thoughts, and love into the server.

It's tradition too. Sure what you say could be more time efficient, but in the end product, is it something substantial? Is it worthy of being a Blocktopian server? Can you be proud of it? I wouldn't be able to, your method is the dissection of a server. It's that tradition, the staff coming together, the inspiration, that bit of magic. This may not be the most efficient, or best way to do things, but how we make it, how we do it - with lots of hard work and painstaking effort - is what makes us this wonderful community. And that's something you can't write down or talk someone into believing (and sure I probably could have worded this better), but you just have to believe it.
It's not a tradition JtE is the first server to put in pre-built towns. (From the last 2 SMP's I saw) The last servers did fine with out planned structure. The players were able to build what they wanted, as for exploring some clans had amazing player created builds (SLV) and creative Danni's Green House was a giant dome on top of a mountain with tunnels built into it and a city. Pre-Built towns don't change, player-base towns (in my opinion) were great to explore, as well as feeling great about building something in your own town.

JohnOgozalek

Forever Shining
Reaction score

It's not a tradition JtE is the first server to put in pre-built towns. (From the last 2 SMP's I saw) The last servers did fine with out planned structure. The players were able to build what they wanted, as for exploring some clans had amazing player created builds (SLV) and somewere creative Danni's Green House was a giant dome on top of a mountain with tunnels built into it and a city. Pre-Built towns don't change, player-base towns (in my opinion) were great to explore, as well as feeling great about building something in your own town.
In my entire post, there is not one mention of Pre-Built towns. And no planned structure? I'm pretty sure staff from those servers would say otherwise. If my point was not understood with that post, then I won't try to explain it further. You can try to explain things to the best of your abilities (which I tried to), but sometimes you just can't explain. If you don't understand it, you don't understand it. Simple as that.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
I'd rather have a server that has effort in it then a server with copy pasted towns and buildings.
Why are you looking for effort within a server? Doesn't it seem logical to expect good gameplay, replay value, etc? Why would effort be a requirement in order to gain a player's enjoyment? Who cares if someone spent 6 months building JTE, or 6 years... It's about the enjoyment you get from playing.

My friend (ijezuz) put up a server in less than a week, that produced more than 9000 dollars in less than 2 months from donations..

I'd rather have stuff hand made for the server so its special for it. It makes it unique, and not just slapped together to get money. To make my enjoyment much more, I want something I know had a lot of effort it, not just *copy paste stock build*.[/quote]

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
JohnOgozalek Not hit reply because of a huge chain of spoilers.
You mentioned the ice wall and using a server theme, and I said the player got to choose the themes. Players can spark there own fun with their own ideas for towns and they can vary town to town. Staff should test plugins, decide rules/ staff and work on fun server events to help the server move along. I can name a few (We had the Halloween Quest World, hunt for the hippo, also there were new areas like the villager house and the TNT shop was where all the players traded and it was player built.

• Confusing
Reactions: JohnOgozalek

nitasu987

Reaction score
GUYS. CAN WE PLEASE STOP ARGUING ABOUT THIS? IT'S GETTING ANNOYING.

Look. I know lots of you wan't a new server.... There's a new sort of server in the works. Let's just see what the heck the admins have in store for us, and then, we can go back to biting our heads off about How 'JTE Sucks' and 'Bring back Primordia!' and everything else.

A new server would be great, right? I don't think so now. But.... I think there's a solution that'd be nice. Why don't the ops/dev team for JtE just go in and replenish the supplies? Expand the darn world for new clans/factions/empires! When a Civilization needs a resource, you don't just sit there and let it get taken by someone else, you expand your civ and get that darn resource! Expansion will soften the effects of the drought of Quartz and Glowstone and stuff for a while, and if it's possible, periodic expansions could solve the issues. I think that once the quest stuff gets figured out, and when SMP gets more exciting and fun instead of a constant economic crisis, I, for one, will go back to JTE.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score

Look. I know lots of you wan't a new server.... There's a new sort of server in the works. Let's just see what the heck the admins have in store for us, and then, we can go back to biting our heads off about How 'JTE Sucks' and 'Bring back Primordia!' and everything else.

A new server would be great, right? I don't think so now. But.... I think there's a solution that'd be nice. Why don't the ops/dev team for JtE just go in and replenish the supplies? Expand the darn world for new clans/factions/empires! When a Civilization needs a resource, you don't just sit there and let it get taken by someone else, you expand your civ and get that darn resource! Expansion will soften the effects of the drought of Quartz and Glowstone and stuff for a while, and if it's possible, periodic expansions could solve the issues. I think that once the quest stuff gets figured out, and when SMP gets more exciting and fun instead of a constant economic crisis, I, for one, will go back to JTE.
We are speaking our opinions. Quests have been shut down, and are not coming back (removal of quest master rank) Expanding the map is more lag, people have all the resources that have been drained from the map there is no point in getting more.

nitasu987

Reaction score

We are speaking our opinions. Quests have been shut down, and are not coming back (removal of quest master rank) Expanding the map is more lag, people have all the resources that have been drained from the map there is no point in getting more.

It looks more like insulting and shit than opinions. If quests are gone, then oh well.. But more lag? If it means that there's more places to go and start your own thing, so what?

• Disagree
Reactions: Hockeyfan1852

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score

It looks more like insulting and shit than opinions. If quests are gone, then oh well.. But more lag? If it means that there's more places to go and start your own thing, so what?
The players control all the resources used so far there is really nothing they need. More chunks load = bigger map file = more lag.