Is it Time for a New SMP Server?

Is it time for a new SMP Server?

• Yes, I want a server with PvP and a structure like one of the previous servers (SMP?, Primordia).

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • Yes, I want a server with PvE like JtE, but with a different structure.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Yes, I want a server with PvP, but a totally new structure.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • No, I love JtE!

Votes: 24 29.3%

• Total voters

nitasu987

Reaction score
Well, People keep complaining about how there's no quartz/glowstone left, so... That obviously means that there's not enough to satisfy the playerbase, so it's not really player controlled. If there was nothing they needed, they wouldn't be complaining about the lack of luxury resources. I for one call for better terrain gen if there's a new SMP, but... Like that'll happen, we can't go copying amazing maps for our own servers.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
Well, People keep complaining about how there's no quartz/glowstone left, so... That obviously means that there's not enough to satisfy the playerbase, so it's not really player controlled. If there was nothing they needed, they wouldn't be complaining about the lack of luxury resources. I for one call for better terrain gen if there's a new SMP, but... Like that'll happen, we can't go copying amazing maps for our own servers.
There are plenty of trades for it, why not just load a new world then?

nitasu987

Reaction score

A lot of people don't like trades, and iirc Emeralds were quite rare

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score

You played for 2 weeks there are tons of emeralds now, if you want it then go to a town and buy it trading is easy.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
The players control all the resources used so far there is really nothing they need. More chunks load = bigger map file = more lag.
FYI maps are not stored in one file, and the files they're stored in are pretty big (32 chunks x 32 chunks per region).

Also, emeralds aren't very hard to get. But, as I've ranted at the economist before, if they're the baseline currency then they need to be easily available, otherwise people avoid trades altogether. I'm sure some people fit into that category, others of us have lots of emeralds anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Hockeyfan1852

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
Also going to add my view point on the addition on PvP added to the nether, the benefit I see from this is for people to get a feel for PvP, though I disagree with the addition of it at this stage in the server.

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score

People (like myself) can create large terrains the size of JTE that is custom, good looking, and not a vanilla world, and I'm sure a few others in the community can do it too. So don't worry about a regular map, or a copied pasted one. ;)

Shocker

Reaction score

You can go to the pvp zone and raid from chests at ignis and cursed cave

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
Not going to get too in depth with this but... first,
Quests have been shut down, and are not coming back (removal of quest master rank)

Quote from superstein from this thread:
Reasons for this were that the plugin itself is not stable, and has broken on us multiple times. A stable person to run them is also hard to find, and though alkatraz and DieLorelei did a great job and we thank them for running it, we have to cut the ties with quests for the time being.

They may make a return in the near future but they are to be removed for now. All quest points, quests, and other affiliated things are gone (though a backup is still available and at the ready).
The point I highlighted indicates that superstein said they are not gone forever, just now until they can be used to their potential. Quests were an awesome factor that gave JtE one of it's special qualities. However, broken quests looks worse then having no quests at all. Especially at such an important time, such as this weekend! Some of the decisions superstein has made, such as removing the Quests and ranks, took discussions. I had multiple discussion about removing the ranks with superstein and even Sploorky when he was still a Director. Keep reading for the point.

But I get it. The point of this thread is some people are unhappy with the turn JtE has taken. That's perfectly acceptable but my point is if said people have had such strong feelings about this, y'all should've and could've said something to Marnixxie, the first Director of JtE, or to TheQube when he followed, or Sploorky who came after that and now superstein. Storm claims to have been considering these things for months. Directors cannot read your minds and we also love our servers. We want people to be able to play for hours and have fun. So as aggressive as superstein's original post may seem, it was more like a slap in the face for him to see the work he's put into the server being talked about in the manner that it was. (Just so you understand it from his side of coin.)

Moving on to my final point, instead of discussing everything that is wrong, let's suggest. Very few posts on this thread actually suggest how to change.
What are somethings you'd be interested in seeing happen on JtE?
What additions could make it interesting for you?
What's somethings you think could change for the future?
And since not many of you can see it, I will say this thread has sparked yet another conversation between superstein and his staff on how to better the server.

Also going to add my view point on the addition on PvP added to the nether, the benefit I see from this is for people to get a feel for PvP, though I disagree with the addition of it at this stage in the server.
It also helps being open minded and remembering that not all of it is possible. After the complaining about PvP, they attempt to work towards a solution and immediately it is rejected. :p

I'm sure you all have good ideas, maybe some staff has not even thought of yet so share. :)

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
Not going to get too in depth with this but... first,
Quests have been shut down, and are not coming back (removal of quest master rank)

Quote from superstein from this thread:
Reasons for this were that the plugin itself is not stable, and has broken on us multiple times. A stable person to run them is also hard to find, and though alkatraz and DieLorelei did a great job and we thank them for running it, we have to cut the ties with quests for the time being.

They may make a return in the near future but they are to be removed for now. All quest points, quests, and other affiliated things are gone (though a backup is still available and at the ready).
The point I highlighted indicates that superstein said they are not gone forever, just now until they can be used to their potential. Quests were an awesome factor that gave JtE one of it's special qualities. However, broken quests looks worse then having no quests at all. Especially at such an important time, such as this weekend! Some of the decisions superstein has made, such as removing the Quests and ranks, took discussions. I had multiple discussion about removing the ranks with superstein and even Sploorky when he was still a Director. Keep reading for the point.

But I get it. The point of this thread is some people are unhappy with the turn JtE has taken. That's perfectly acceptable but my point is if said people have had such strong feelings about this, y'all should've and could've said something to Marnixxie, the first Director of JtE, or to TheQube when he followed, or Sploorky who came after that and now superstein. Storm claims to have been considering these things for months. Directors cannot read your minds and we also love our servers. We want people to be able to play for hours and have fun. So as aggressive as superstein's original post may seem, it was more like a slap in the face for him to see the work he's put into the server being talked about in the manner that it was. (Just so you understand it from his side of coin.)

Moving on to my final point, instead of discussing everything that is wrong, let's suggest. Very few posts on this thread actually suggest how to change.
What are somethings you'd be interested in seeing happen on JtE?
What additions could make it interesting for you?
What's somethings you think could change for the future?
And since not many of you can see it, I will say this thread has sparked yet another conversation between superstein and his staff on how to better the server.

It also helps being open minded and remembering that not all of it is possible. After the complaining about PvP, they attempt to work towards a solution and immediately it is rejected. :p

I'm sure you all have good ideas, maybe some staff has not even thought of yet so share. :)
I will keep this pretty brief. Quests I must have misread so disregard my point on that. Well, the only time it was ever brought up was here: http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/suggestion-pvp.11515/ which was completely disagreed to and had little to no support so I understand why storm took a while to think about and post this thread. I am glad that the staff is trying new things and is getting feedback from it to improve the server. Also another question to add is how do you feel about the changes so far.

77thShad

Ayy lmao
Reaction score
PvP in the Nether was fine, Till everyone decided to kill everyone on site. In my opinion, the Nether Network should be a no PvP zone, while the rest of the Nether is PvP, if possible. Im now having to find myself to walk to where i wanna go.
I find nether pvp to be a nice addition. In my oppinion adding a risk to taking the quicker travel option makes it more challenging but fun as well. Making the nether network PvE is a really bad solution and if that happened, you may as well have the whole Nether PvE.

D

Deleted member 4601

I'm the type of person who totally dislikes pvp because i don't play Minecraft for that, I play Minecraft for building.

But nether pvp looks okay, and I might be able to train my pvp without going all the way to the other side of the wall, which is really far away.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
PvP in the Nether was fine, Till everyone decided to kill everyone on site. In my opinion, the Nether Network should be a no PvP zone, while the rest of the Nether is PvP, if possible. Im now having to find myself to walk to where i wanna go.
There are only 4 cardinal directions, everything fits into a grid. Open the livemap, find where you want to be and where you are. The difference between those locations is simple to figure out. I didn't even use the NN till a month or so ago, when I needed to find my way to hobbiton. Before that, I just travelled in the overworld. The world isn't even round, you really can't get that lost if you pay attention to the map and your surroundings.

I rather like the idea of the nether being pvp. I'm also excited to see that the pvp zone is no grief now :D

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
I have seen more people on JtE the past few days, when I've checked, than any other server. I'd say it is doing well. (And guys, try to have more wars. It adds interest.)