[Poll] Blocktopia Overhaul

I have read the pros/cons, and I would like to....

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
pretty sure that wasn't a serious suggestion by jayfeather
but to get an idea of what we're talking about there's another poll in the discussion section
people really like their lava&boxes
You're right, we need BB to make RoF maps, so just keep those two.

The idea of creating more traffic because you (I'm using an understood you here not a you you) don't want to move on is silly. Not only has it already been tried numerous times, but holding onto a tradition because it's tradition is toxic as fuck and no one should be trying to do that. I collected a very small amount of statistics over a break on server traffic and found that even at 2 pm my time when we had the most people it was something like 12 - 19 on RoF and 1/2 on everything else. That's not sustainable, that's ridiculous

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
It's been a long time coming, but we finally made it boys.

I'm very glad that a complete overhaul is being done, this excites me much. I think one thing you really need to do with the overhaul however is just invest in >200 Teamspeak slots and just advertise the Teamspeak everywhere possible. The communities that I help run focus greatly on comms (85%) and then the rest (15%) on gaming and all that. This attracts a lot of people who just come on to just talk and not really play games, and gives a real purpose to a chat room again allowing for more "jump-in jump-out" conversations. Ever since me and my pals put in a lot of advertising for our Teamspeak and added many rules for our Teamspeak, we get around 6-10 new people on Teamspeak every day, and it's fantastic to talk to everyone. Most of them stay longer than 2 weeks and come from all over the world like Ireland, Egypt, Chile, Peru, Estonia, Bolivia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Hong Kong, Turkey, and the list goes on (that's just who was connected at the time of the post). The games that those players play are the ones we accommodate to, and since then we've have currently CS:GO, TF2, Minecraft, GMod Murder, HL2DM, Unreal2004, MTA, CS1.6, CoD4, ArmA II & III and a bunch of others. These Teamspeak users who play those games will handle the advertising for us and attract their own friends who will continue to play and come online, and also the server browser players as well. Money and the initial investment is the only difficult part, but hosting that many servers isn't really too expensive, just need a Linux box and a Windows box (fucking arma).

tl;dr - focus on teamspeak, community and the game support needed will arise from that

Skittz

Reaction score
Yay!! I am honestly very excited to see some changes in the community. It seems to me that for a long time it's been a little quiet on teamspeak and on the servers (atleast more quiet than it used to be) and anything to spice things up would be fun. I swear I'll stick with Blocktopia (or whatever it might be named next lol) until the end and I'll try to support anything that happens. I basically grew up with a lot of you guys and I love talking on teamspeak/playing games and having fun all together. It's a great experience. :]

Sasher

Reaction score
I loved Minecraft, and I still do, but not enough to make me want to play it much anymore. I can say I probably played for around 4-5 years, and thats a really long time playing one video game. In fact, I'd probably say 80% of that Minecraft time was me playing and/or staffing Blocktopia servers. Its sad to say, but Minecraft is not at its peak anymore in terms of player base and popularity. That was probably 2, maybe even 3 years ago. Ive grown out of it, and it makes me happy to see that were moving on to bigger and better things now.

MY SERVER IS THE BEST IN THE UNIVERSE AND SHOULD NOT BE REMOVED BECAUSE X

I WILL FIGHT YOU TO THE DEATH, OTHER SERVERS

1v1. Rust. Intervention only. No hard scoping. First to 20 kills wins. In honor of Zombies server (called infection now)

Last edited:

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Jub[e]: blocktoverhaul
Jub[e]: vidyatopia
Jivvi: collecting signatures to change the community name to michelle
Jub[e]: Michelle
Jivvi: yes
Jivvi: michelle is an exquisite name
Jub[e]: i'm all for Vidyatopia
Jub[e]: i've got to go do shit
Jub[e]: +jube for michelle

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
In the end, the community's name will not be 'Michelle'. Everyone's been giving their 'two cents', so instead of my giving those, I'll bet them on BT not seriously being named 'Michelle'. G'luck collecting sigs, won't help.

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
In the end, the community's name will not be 'Michelle'. Everyone's been giving their 'two cents', so instead of my giving those, I'll bet them on BT not seriously being named 'Michelle'. G'luck collecting sigs, won't help.
You have no idea what we are capable of!

---

@everyone - thanks so far for the valid and thoughtful posts, this helps a lot!

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
You have no idea what we are capable of!
not changing the name to 'Michelle'? Yeah!
so that's a signature from you?
Give the signature paper, I'll rip it to shreds.
Error: Attempt to concatenate table entry [e] (jub) a nil value.

IN OTHER NEWS:
  1. *
    Go ahead with the overhaul

99 vote(s)
    85.3%

2. Not go ahead with the overhaul

17 vote(s)
    14.7%
99 VOTES.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
Minecraft for PC has plateaued and is probably. Most of the audience has gone to consoles now, with players easily able to play with their friends without having to resort to finding servers to play on.

The majority of the lost players is a result of people losing interest in Minecraft, though they love the community.

An overhaul would be great. Though, I wouldn't mind sticking with the name.

Rytheria

Reaction score
Personally would still like to see a SMP server or something rather as game-modes by themselves can get boring.
I'm actually quite sad that Blocktopia is moving on, as it is not something I would have seen coming when I played this game 4 or so years ago.

Again, would LOVE to see another SMP server as those were probably the most fun for me and I really enjoy playing them during my summer holidays.
Wouldn't mind moving to games like TF2

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'm all for it. But I think we shouldn't choose the servers to by popularity, but by how they can keep and attract new players. The others might be placed under A&t.
As far as the name, I think I agree with most people that a new name that has blocktopia in it.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
I'm all for it. But I think we shouldn't choose the servers to by popularity, but by how they can keep and attract new players. The others might be placed under A&t.
As far as the name, I think I agree with most people that a new name that has blocktopia in it.
This is a good point. Whenever I check the "Who's Playing" link I see new player names under the A&T list most of the time. How do they find that server and why do they go there?
Compared to RoF, I usually see the same players on that server most of the time when I check the list.
This is just an observation that I noticed for the past few months.

• Agree
Reactions: Jivvi and EggNog

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
This is a good point. Whenever I check the "Who's Playing" link I see new player names under the A&T list most of the time. How do they find that server and why do they go there?
Compared to RoF, I usually see the same players on that server most of the time when I check the list.
This is just an observation that I noticed for the past few months.
I think part of the attraction of A&t is that you can play adventure maps with your friends without having to host a server yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.