[Poll] Blocktopia Overhaul

I have read the pros/cons, and I would like to....

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocfudgemud

Reaction score
Answer: Go ahead with the overhaul

I may have not played on Blocktopia servers as long as most of you, but I can tell you one thing. Blocktopia is t nearly as active as it was when it started. I think it would be great if it changed up a bit and get new servers out of MC. It's sad knowing your old server friends are coming inactive. Honestly the only reason I'm posting this is because I felt like I should check what was up since I getting inactive. If we got more games involved it could draw back old bored players (like me) and gain new ones.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
Comon guys, we need to get our priorities in the right order. Nearly all these comments are about what servers should stay, typically people vouching for their personal favorites. Frankly, the point of this overhaul is put our efforts somewhere else than Minecraft, and thus to keep growing, which is becoming deadlocked at solely playing Minecraft.

We need to look beyond what servers should stay and oversee the entire project and how it would be beneficial or negative for the development of this community. I do believe it would be wise for us to keep a server or maybe two (and maybe a third temporarily [like an SMP]), however, we must direct our focus towards the importance of what Malc initially stated in the OP.

For the individuals expressing their discontent with this overhaul idea, I do respect everyone's opinion as long as it is properly argued, but it is time for change guys, Minecraft is becoming less fun for old members who've been around for years and it is getting challenging in expanding whatsoever. Notwithstanding this community is built off of Minecraft, we have a heavy playerbase of several other games; people would be willing to help us develop this overhaul further, with experience. I have been around this community a long time, and I have had incalculable memories on many of these servers since '09, but I can wholeheartedly say that it is time we expand our horizons once again, it is a risk, but risks pay off if they work. We undoubtedly still have many dedicated members whom would help us with this vision, but full community backing and support would be obviously more desirable.

It is time we put aside our own personal wants and selfishness, we have to do what will keep this community alive (in the long run) and undergoing such may be necessary.

TheOne

Donor
Reaction score

Welcome one and all to the blue moon show, that rare occurrence where I somehow remember my login and stop by to leave a message.
(not kidding, took me 6 tries)

When I first started the community before It was changed to Blocktopia, I never imagined that it would hast this long or come this far. I always sort of imagined it would be something like:

But I've been able to enjoy watching it grow and become what it is today.

The only piece of advice I have: If the community decides to evolve into a new creation, take it slow and one step at a time. Make sure the members know whats going on and listen to the input . I know it sounds simple but most of the time it's the simple stuff that's overlooked.

I wish the community the best in what ever direction it decides to move toward and I leave you with this:

Mostly because it reminds me of my time as admin, when I'd screw up and shut the servers down by mistake.

TO​

persian_pig

Reaction score
The SMP server are clearly not one of more popular servers, and I have tried to find other SMP servers and those I have found were all worse than the worst of the Blocktopia SMPs, don't remove SMP from your server roster.

_ChoasLego_

Rabbit
Donor
Reaction score
persian pig is right only the blocktopia smp server is fun

and DOD was a complete disgrace, such a letdown JtE was amazing but you guys failed horribly at dod
Probably if you hadn't died so many times, you would've sung a different tune...

Also, it's quite disrespectful to say that to the SMP Staff. Sure, it wasn't the best SMP, but it was a decent one, and the staff truly put a lot of effort to make it an enjoyable SMP. If that didn't satisfy you, then I suggest you try to voice your opinion in a polite manner.

If the next SMP is being considered, I'm looking forward to an actual economy system, with trade/caravan routes and an actual economy with player-built shops.

Ok, about the community overhaul...

I think it would be wise to either cut some servers or combine some of them into one giant server, such as fitting some servers such as BB and A&T into an SMP server, where they would be included as minigame/creative world.

Last edited:

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Honestly the issue with expansion is not so much that minecraft is running out of steam, its a matter of simply that minecraft no longer has a free iteration. It costs money, 27 usd to be exact and that's quite a bit of money.

With the relevance of steam ever growing and quality games costing pennies on the dollar it is not hard to understand why we do not get many new players.

Simply people picked up the game during its cheap big bang and the dust went everywhere, now years later its settling down into galaxies and many people do not want to make the arduous journey from one to another because it may not have what they find they need to support their interest.

Back to the issue at hand of what really works for a minecraft server group. That is, and has usually been ~ attention grabbing and attention whoring.

That is referring to ads on their forums to generate revenue, then pushing that revenue into hiring programmers to create batshit crazy content, then into paying for adspace on relevant minecraft related places, rinse and repeat.
Not even going to delve into the pay-to-receive-in-game-bullshit-server-places.

Now you might argue this group has never been pay to win or ad filled. Well lets cut that childish ideology out right now. No I'm not saying lets become pay to play. However I am saying its time to wake up and become adults about this. Nearly any site that doesn't have sort of crypto currency or pay benefit survives on its ad revenue, even going as far as to reward you for watching ads or having ads along side the pay to win. Its applause worthy that we have lived this long on donations alone.

However, truthfully, over the years, and this matters quite a bit comparatively. How many donators have their been over the x+ years of this groups life after becoming blocktopia. Less then 100. 150, 200? The numbers on rough estimates are appalling. Given there are twelve months in the year and there was a year payed for by a single person almost immediately, lets exclude that into about 4 years.

That's 48 months, 150 each month, hell wasn't it 200 at one point? swear it was and I filled it like the literal minute it opened and got people upset, my memories fucked, anyways. With it being 150 a month the generous thing to say that a donation system would be succeeding is if multiple members donated anywhere from 5-10 usd. Estimating that anywhere from 15-30 different individuals a month, give or take a few repeats here and there.
Doing the math we should have anywhere from 400-800 unique donators of the lifespan of this system excluding the yearlong dominance for the system to be credited a success.

Do not look me in the face and tell me having 400-800 unique donators over the lifespan of this community is absurd, look at the poster above me kuvir, his membership number is 6108, doing the average that means we have gotten roughly 1000 members per year and having 10 percent donate ten dollars is like condensation on the side of a water bottle. The only argument you can have is that the community is fairly towards the 'kiddie-pool' end, however most members are of respectable job aged.

I would love to see where the community can go however the ideal that we would have to focus on games that are only free to play is relatively awful. We are not going to get another two or three years out of these free to play games, let alone another five years before the content winds down.

Its the proverbial 'where do we go from here'

Case in example were the garrys mod server boomed then busted, again with infection.

One of the main downfalls of blocktopia currently is the tight-assed-ness. Its a valuable commodity, but a huge deterrent to growth. What makes plants grow big and strong? Well m'boy that would be grade a quality shit. Now I'm not talking the harmful shit, I'm talking shit that stinks just the same and you really do not want to have your hands on it or even deal with it, but you want those plants big and beautiful with lots o fruit right? Well then your gonna have ta gets yer hands covered in it.

This isn't saying 'lighten up' this is saying there is just some shit you have to put up with.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay I think 160 votes should reflect a close enough view of the playerbase.

The thread Is being closed and we are going ahead with the overhaul, we're astounded by the level of feedback given as well as the overwhelming support for the overhaul - We'll spend the following weeks discussing the ideas suggested and coming up with a more in-depth plan, we will then open up the floor to this plan for suggestion..

With that said, It is physically impossible to please everyone - this is clear from the responses, so whilst we will do our best to accommodate your suggestions, we apologise that the plan will be unsatisfactory for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.