[Poll] Blocktopia Overhaul

I have read the pros/cons, and I would like to....

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamsanity

Reaction score
Yeah I completely agree with this. I feel like this should have happened a while ago to be honest. Blocktopia is a fantastic community because of our playerbase, we have awesome people on here. By doing the overhaul we will be able to expand and reach out to new players and I think it'll be hugely beneficial.
I mean, we're already not focused primarily on MineCraft. Originally we were, but with the players moving towards different games and social media, we're essentially a MineCraft server that also hosts other gaming outlets for players, with this change it'll give us a much better foundation and I think it'll really give Blocktopia a great opportunity to excel.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
sure, smp could merge with buildbox, like primordia
sure, infection would work as an a&t gamemode, same with TNT if it ever gets to that point
sure, we have an archive section that the minecraft stuff could be moved into without consequence

we don't need a whole new forums. just utilize the archive thing or add new subforums.

as for themes, we can have multiple like with the halloween thing. it's not like we have to stick with just one option.
let the players pick their theme as they please, and perhaps open up a suggestion box for user-submissions.

Reactions: OgroovysamO

X__x

Resident Zombie
Reaction score
let the players pick their theme as they please, and perhaps open up a suggestion box for user-submissions.
Such as allow the theme to be dependent upon the users preference, instead of forcing us to one specific theme? Essentially having us choose what we like instead of sticking to the default (as I know other places do).

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
pretty much. during the halloween theme event for the forums, there was an option in the bottom-left to switch between themes. after the event was over, the halloween theme was removed (at least from my visibility) along with the option to switch themes. this is probably due to there currently being only one forum theme at the moment.

Reactions: 1 person
D

DarkHender

I think this is exactly what Blocktopia needs. Personally I would only keep one server for minecraft. (Which ever would be the most popular) and then have at it with anything else. If this pulls through I'll be so excited you have no idea.
minecraft is boring after years of playing lets get to new games :D

Yesss, like those forums where they give you a selection of themes to pick from or you can upload/make your own and either share it or just keep it to your computer. So cool yis yis.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
isnt that basically a&t anyway
just make infection a gamemode there along with tnt
as for the other servers we could make a tournament bracket pitting them against each other and vote for them
like Buildbox vs AoD, Infection vs A&T, etc.
if you guys are narrowing it down to 2 servers max, something of this sort is bound to happen anyway.
i'd recommend merging some servers if possible, though.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
New name: I think the Blocktopia name should stay, but add another word after it that relates to the direction that the community wants to be rebranded as? Personally, I think Blocktopia Network or Blocktopia Gaming would be simple without overthinking it.

New forum layout: How old is that background image for the forums? Maybe with the new forums, you can get a community event going on where people would be able to submit background images (logos, etc.) for the forums. There are a handful of players on here that do art/creative things so it would be nice to see their work on the site if this is really a community driven overhaul.

Removal of some Minecraft Servers: This part shouldn't be taken so lightly. You have great developers who took their time and effort to create their respective servers and if their server is shutdown, then you'll essentially lose them unless they agree to it and help whichever servers are kept. Then there are the players who come on from time to time that only play on one or two specific servers, if they don't have those servers to go to anymore, then they'll eventually have to find another community to go to if they feel like it. Overall, the remaining servers that the community/admins choose to keep should be solid servers that don't have any hiccups/errors but can be fixed/updated with new content from time to time to keep the players involved and essentially happy.

Streamlining staff structure: The current ranks are: Asshat, Admin, Director, Developer, Controller, Operator, and Trusted. I don't know about this change, but maybe Controller and Trusted could be altered/removed.

Servers/Support for popular games: From what I've seen, there has been those random events such as the Werewolf/Vampire(?), Trouble in Terrorist Town, Pixelmon, and probably a couple more unrelated to Minecraft -- I can't think of them off the top of my head. But the idea here is that maybe these servers should come on every other month. Lets say, TTT could be up for one month then Pixelmon the next month. Or have two different servers come up at the same month -- Like TTT/Pixelmon for January, then Werewolf/TeamFortress for February, then LoL/WoW for March, etc. (I don't know how these games/servers will work, but that's the idea.) Also, maybe put a Plug.dj forum up and promote it as well?

Community Events: n/a
Cleanup of ranks: n/a

As far as the Cons/Threats of the proposed changes go: Of course it might be a huge project and the risk of doing this may be better than what Blocktopia's current state is at. But who is going to be working on this and implementing the ideas? A select few? There really has to be people that will invest part of their time to help out and refresh the community within a certain time constraint so that things could be done instead of having the community wait for, who knows? how long this update could take.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
All you people are like "WE NEED MOAR SERVERS." Why not just make one all-purpose server with SMP, a Creative world and a PvP world all on the same server?
Well GmK and team tried to make server like this but it exploded due to plugin overdose.

Lobby serves that function practically. Instead we could have global devs or something.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
rawrmynameisrex see
sure, smp could merge with buildbox, like primordia
sure, infection would work as an a&t gamemode, same with TNT if it ever gets to that point
sure, we have an archive section that the minecraft stuff could be moved into without consequence

we don't need a whole new forums. just utilize the archive thing or add new subforums.

as for themes, we can have multiple like with the halloween thing. it's not like we have to stick with just one option.
also, wouldn't you know about this as you presumably have access to staff forums as a high-ranking member
if this hasn't been discussed a bit there then this probably hasn't been completely thought through
the "directions" mentioned are quite vague and not at all in sync with the poll question itself, which is why i haven't yet answered it

while an overhaul of sorts would be nice, this one in particular hasn't actually been elaborated upon

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
  • A New Name: We love the Blocktopia brand, in the spirit of shifting our focus away from Minecraft, we feel a new name is needed.
Why?
  • A New forum layout and theme : To cope with drastic changes to community structure - a new layout will be needed with focus drawn away from Minecraft.
Why the need? With what drastic changed would we be coping?
  • Removal of all but our most popular Minecraft Servers: Most likely 2 servers at most, though this doesn’t bar future servers opening.
Which ones would stay? Why two servers? When and how would they be removed?
  • Streamlining the staff structure: There are many ranks that have no clear definition of purpose, These will be removed.
Which ranks are being referred to and why?
  • Servers/Support for popular games - including for games that we do not host. Support Including subforums, competitions, embedded streams and more.
We already have these capabilities.
  • Far more community events.
How so?
  • Cleanup of ranks - Long-inactive staff/Admins that have been gone will have their rank removed.

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
I agree that we should have an overhaul. How that's supposted to happen I'm not sure, but I have full confidence in our Admin team that they will do a great job and make the right decisions for us.

One thing I do want to say, is that I don't want our name to change. The name Blocktopia represents the fun and the memories that we had, and it's a name that I've gotten to love. Anything different would make me feel as if I was in a totally different community. I think half, if not more of us are still in Blocktopia because of the people we met here, the people we met in "Blocktopia".or theones for that matter but ok. Changing the name would be changing the one thing we all have in common. It just doesn't feel right.

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
How about Blocktopia Gaming Network? I'm honestly just banging rocks- er, banging names together here.

Also, I find that a streamlined staff would be best. Here's my opinion on how it should (or probably could) be:

Member+ (Or a standard rank with a '+' or 'plus' behind it.)
Kinda like 'trusted', but nerfed down. Not necessarily staff, but they have higher 'priviliges', they'll be a community member that's been there slightly longer, knows the rules well and can be approached for questions. They wouldn't be able to take immediate action on servers, but can initiate a 'vote' to kick or mute a player if deemed necessary.

Standard, generic moderator. Can mute and tempban for up to 7 days, and ask an operator+ to ban the rulebreaker if deemed necessary. They could apply for their respective servers with no references needed to give them 'a chance at proving themselves' (of course a moderately strict review of the application and users' behaviour still has to standardly be done.)

Operator
A moderator with some higher priviliges, can mute and permanently ban a user if deemed necessary. Can apply for respective servers, with one or two references from higher staff for approval to the operating team.

Controller
A form of 'fallback administrator' for when needed to restart a server and deal with abusive staff and do the ranking-up part of the staff application when it is approved. This isn't really much higher than the 'operator', you could compare this to the cardinals and the bishops.

Administrator
Okay, my hands are getting tired at this point, so let's just throw in 'our overlords' they do their shady administrative things in their shady administrative subforum and run the community, etcetera.

Note that this is my view on what could work for a streamlined staff approach, and in no way am I trying to set up a base/standard that the staff, quote, unquote "Have to work on or I'll leave this community right naow"

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
in case it wasn't obvious, in my last post there's a quote with questions inside
nicely color coded for your convenience
im not expecting an immediate response just pointing it out for discussion stuffs
also, perhaps some more discussion on what the forum changes would be/which servers survive would be in order

because the forums can be changed without deleting everything
there better be a damn good reason to do that if it happens
which it shouldn't

Last edited:

digi

-
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
One thing I do want to say, is that I don't want our name to change. The name Blocktopia represents the fun and the memories that we had, and it's a name that I've gotten to love. Anything different would make me feel as if I was in a totally different community. I think half, if not more of us are still in Blocktopia because of the people we met here, the people we met in "Blocktopia".or theones for that matter but ok. Changing the name would be changing the one thing we all have in common. It just doesn't feel right.
I agree with this ^
I understand we're changing and moving forward, but must the title of our forums be altered? I know we're steering away from Minecraft and branching out, but the brand Blocktopia means something to me. I'll eventually adjust, but after being part of this community for four years it just feels odd.

Have new names for this community been discussed amongst staff?

• Agree
Reactions: Jivvi
Status
Not open for further replies.