[Poll] Blocktopia Overhaul

I have read the pros/cons, and I would like to....

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
I can't help but be old fashioned here.
You haven't been around long enough to remember THE GOOD OLD DAYS
THE GOOD OLD DAAAAYYYSS

Yeah, so long as the bulk of the community is aware of the change, go for it. Don't end up like D3, trying to make changes and having the community just drop out from under them completely. I mean, their death worked great for you guys because that's how I got here and I'm perfect in every way but-

I wish you the heartiest of good lucks, Administration team!

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
I disagree with overhauling the whole community completely but agree we need to cut down on servers. Main four in my opinion are rof, smp, bb, and tnt. As for expanding to other games it would be cool to see blocktopia have more player hosted events going on. The forums could make a few changes but are fine as they are now. So in short to make the community more successful we should cut the unpopular servers out and have the players step up to host more community events.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
regarding conversion of servers to vanilla

tnt would probably be easy to replicate on an a+t server

aod would be a scoreboard clusterfuck but it could work

rof lava is replicable but it's not really convenient to do so in large portions

infection i have no idea about, it might work it might not

these would be quite basic, do realise, so keeping the long-worked-on code would be preferable if it's the server of choice

• Useful
Reactions: Hunter

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I'm honestly going to stay neutral on this one.

Now, I do have my opinions on the various Blocktopia servers:

RoF:
It's a good and original idea, but it still has some problems. For one thing, most maps tend to be filled to the brim with lava half way through the round, preventing people from roaming around and the monsters can wreck you fairly easily if you don't have iron armor or better (or a few years' experience of PvE skills), but on the other hand, it can get decently entertaining when people tunnel to each other's houses, parties are thrown, and events are hosted at complete random.

AoD:
Indeed, this is simply another PvP game... except it's a form of infection PvP, which virtually no one else seems to have (except Mineplex and Hypixel, but they don't have it nearly as diverse or original as we do). Granted, I don't enjoy tag maps because "wtf, why do I have to run away and hide like a f***ing rabbit?", but it's still kind of entertaining to push unsuspecting hunters off the edge of a cliff or make a sword with a some-what humorous name (less so, now that death texts are less likely to actually show the weapon's name).

BB:
Yet another good server. With 3 different worlds to build on at almost any time, what could be more enjoyable a place to build that really fancy mansion or exciting adventure map on? Also useful for building other things that are meant for use strictly in this server, like a role play village or ship fleet. Problem is though, people seem to get very agitated when people try to do their very own custom PvP scenarios or anything involving players getting killed. One solution that people have come up with is to ban PvP in this server and tell them to fight in AoD or SMP. This is a mistake because in AoD, you don't get to make your own scenario right then and there to fight in, you just have to deal with the one that is randomly selected AND voted most for, while SMP, as we all know, isn't always available and may not even be returning due to "lack of originality". I think for the present, we could do something to let people ignore death texts.

Infection:
Basically AoD tag, but punching people is pointless and sprinting is disabled. Personally don't like the server, though I wouldn't mind if the AoD tag maps were moved to Infection so that AoD can be more combat than tag, like it's advertised to be.

A&T:
Back in Minecraft 1.2.5 - 1.3, I seriously enjoyed A&T 1. Now that we're in version 1.7.9 (and in other places, 1.8), things are a bit different: people putting less work in their maps, old maps not being as fun or broken because new stuff raising expectations, minecraft as a whole seems to be drifting away from adventure maps and more to mini-games and modpacks, and Hypixel and Gazamo went and created a few extremely awesome maps that skyrocketed our expectations of a good adventure map as a whole and ever since, no one has been able to compare and not another adventure map has been released by either Hypixel or Gazamo. Though there are some promising maps in 1.8, such as Sethbling's Missile wars and a load of 1.8 adventure maps.
Basically, has promise in the future, but currently lacks good maps due to a lack in supply of good maps that aren't broken by Bukkit.

SMP:
Despite being as old as Minecraft multiplayer itself (though not really, because classic MC), Blocktopia SMP is still different than what other groups have. Most people seem to have these ridiculously laid out SMP servers that were either set up as though their designers were drunk the whole time, or simply don't have any plugins at all.
Blocktopia SMP is different because we are a community with people of varying origin and ability, and our SMP servers typically out qualify most of the other SMP servers out there. Unlike most SMP servers, we balance how strict we are so that the server is enjoyable at almost all times. Most servers either are too strict and make you go to basically ell your life to them before they're even willing to let you on the main server, and a lot of the others seem to be run by middle school children who have no sense of online ethics.
We don't have terrain that looks like a bunch of toddler-minded red-necks came in with a giant Swiss cheeseinator, but players are free to understand how the plugins work and to build their monumental empire if they so wish.
My only problem is that SMP take so long to start up when the last one shuts down.

P.S. I don't like taking up a lot of room.

Y

YouWould

as for the other servers we could make a tournament bracket pitting them against each other and vote for them
like Buildbox vs AoD, Infection vs A&T, etc.
I dont know how fair this would be. Lets say it's RoF v Buildbox. Both are active servers, but RoF would win due to it's player amount.
I do think it would be okay if we whittled down the servercount, but two Minecraft servers would lose a ton of people. I think a better rule would be to have four servers-- SMP, Lava, PvP, and Creative. I'm sure its entirely possible that if we did lose the other two servers (Infection + A&T) some of their staff could be distributed onto other servers (ie. A&T closes and tnm Develops for Lava, david is an Operator on Creative, Nog decides to stay with SMP, and Jay Operates PvP on a trial)
Just my opinion if we're decreasing the server count, as these are the four most actively played, and closing (Say, SMP and PvP) would lose quite a few players who only go on those servers.

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
I'm going to point something out since it's kind of bugging me:

If Blocktopia becomes a general gaming community, will there be hostilities between players who are into separate games? I've already witnessed some of that going on with pro/anti League opinions, and I wonder if situations like that could crop up again.

I'm going to point out I'm a neutral party, and don't have affiliations with either 'side'.

JtTorso

Reaction score
Infection:
Basically AoD tag, but punching people is pointless and sprinting is disabled. Personally don't like the server, though I wouldn't mind if the AoD tag maps were moved to Infection so that AoD can be more combat than tag, like it's advertised to be.
I take it you've never played infection.

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
We've all seen how successful the G-Mod server was. It was fun at first, but ended up kinda dying within a month or two.
The Gmod server was a great idea in theory, but there were lots of flaws which made people stop playing it. To name a few flaws, Baker had a few problems with specific items such as the Jihad, and he ended up completely removing the item for a long time instead of searching for a bugfix for it. There were also an influx of trolls, toxic players and RDMers which made the game substantially unenjoyable and uncomfortable for everyone in the community. No one really had fun with the rules that were in place either. Compare this to the Gmod server that I use to host for a long time; there were a great amount of players who actually enjoyed playing because it didn't have all these problems that the public Gmod server have, and if there was ever a time where the players found a problem, I immediately acknowledged that and looked for a fix to that specific problem right away (usually finding the problem within a few hours. A few days if the problem is more complicated.) The Gmod server can still be a good go-to option (can even bring it back for event days!), but all it just needs is a supportive team behind it.

Last edited:

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
I'd like to think that we could keep more than two Minecraft servers. Minecraft has been the basic game for this community for a long time, and it should stay that way--however, I do think we should branch out into other games, though I personally only play Minecraft.

On the topic of AoD, I'd hope that we could keep it running since it is a PvP server. PvP is something that neither RoF, BB, A&T, or even SMP can handle the way a dedicated PvP server can. I do also have some big things planned for AoD.

Last edited:

Leahbender

Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else, but if the minecraft servers are cut down to just rof, I'm leaving, and I won't be coming back. The core 4 types of servers (rof,aod,smp, and bb) I think, are essential. Rather than removing them completely, it would be a better idea to try and create more traffic for them. Another thing to note is that there are many people who play minecraft almost exclusively, and wont transfer over to other multiplayer game servers that will be made.

It's just one users opinion, but this change does not seem reflective at all of what Blocktopia is. Seems like your just making an entirely new gaming community. I don't like it.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else, but if the minecraft servers are cut down to just rof, I'm leaving, and I won't be coming back. The core 4 types of servers (rof,aod,smp, and bb) I think, are essential. Rather than removing them completely, it would be a better idea to try and create more traffic for them. Another thing to note is that there are many people who play minecraft almost exclusively, and wont transfer over to other multiplayer game servers that will be made.

It's just one users opinion, but this change does not seem reflective at all of what Blocktopia is. Seems like your just making an entirely new gaming community. I don't like it.
pretty sure that wasn't a serious suggestion by jayfeather
but to get an idea of what we're talking about there's another poll in the discussion section
people really like their lava&boxes

std1997

Stitch
Donor
Reaction score
this change does not seem reflective at all of what Blocktopia is.
A New Name: We love the Blocktopia brand, in the spirit of shifting our focus away from Minecraft, we feel a new name is needed.
Whole point of the name change is because we're no longer focusing on Minecraft but instead on being more diverse. So I can understand you feel that dropping Minecraft servers would lose the heart of what Blocktopia was/is but I feel Blocktopia's 'heart' is in it's community as a whole. Not in the servers that it hosts.

Just my extra 2 pesos.

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
I wish there were some more details on the ideas.
Yes, it will sting in the short run. But in the long run, I believe that the overhaul is best for the community.

Perhaps when some of the MC servers are shut down we could do it like in the past where the staff are offered positions on the other servers MC or other games. Sorta good compromise, more or less.

• Agree
Reactions: EggNog and RyanDodd
Status
Not open for further replies.