What's Your Favourite Book?

digi

-
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I loved It when I was young.
Okay, story time.

When I was in middle school, all I did was read. I literally had 2 friends, counting my brother. Suffice to say that I got in a lot of trouble for reading books instead of working in math class. Being an undeniable bookworm, I naturally went to the library instead of recess. Anyways, there was always this section of 'restricted books' that I needed to get parental permission to access. Well I eventually plucked up the courage and asked my mom to sign it for me.

"What's this?"

"Nothing mom just sign it."

"Okay."

And there I was, grinning like an idiot at how I played the system and would now get to read "grown up books" and be a mature adult. The first book I checked out was Firestarter, which was cool as shit, and I loved it. I'd never heard of Stephen King before, so I wanted to read more. A thing should be said about providence though, namely that sometimes it just completely deserts you. The next book I picked out was Cujo, which I didn't finish due to it being scary as fuck. Unfortunately, the next book I read by Mr. King I finished. And yep, you guessed right, that book was It. And. I. Shit. Bricks. I didn't sleep for like a week. I wouldn't shower unless my brother was standing in the bathroom doorway. I had to find and plug in my old night light.

I'm sure there's ultimately a moral here about knowing your place, or facing your fears, or some other profound bullshit like that. But to be honest, I really just hate clowns now, and Stephen King is kinda ruined for me. I'm sure if I read some of his other works my opinion would change, but I guess we'll never know. #nevergoingback #nope

I honestly feel your pain. I understand exactly what you mean about the bathroom. For a while, thanks to Mr. King, I grew paranoid of drains. I also developed a deep loathing for clowns. They'll forever remain this macabre and sinister entity taunting and tormenting people.

Reactions: Undefined User 7

Suikae

Dat Typo Queen
Reaction score
The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus.
I would have guessed your favourite book was Animal Farm by George Orwell. (Your profile pic cx)

In response to this thread, I don't have a favourite book for there are too many books I enjoy. But one of my top favourite is, To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
An old classic everyone should read. c:

Chips

Reaction score
Wonder, as I think the book itself is a well written story, and it talks about how one normal kid with an extraordinary face, and it such a good story, showing how people can accept people with differences.

Hardneck

Reaction score
The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus.
I would have guessed your favourite book was Animal Farm by George Orwell. (Your profile pic cx)
Animal Farm was great but I think 1984 will be of much more interest in the future. Still a classic.

I'll probably retract my statement once I finish Infinite Jest.

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score

I probably sound like a nerd and a boring individual by saying this, but I love reading nonfiction. I especially focus on stories of the WWII era.

My current favorite book is Danger's Hour, a very interesting read that follows the story of the USS Bunker Hill and it's service in the Pacific Campaign of WWII, all the way up to the day when it was attacked and crippled by kamikaze pilots.

But it's not just that. The book goes into the background of the war from Japan and American perspectives, delves into the psychology of both sides (ex: why did Japan enable the kamikaze training programs?) and tells a chunk of the book using the accounts of crew members and other important figures involved with the ship's story.

Definitely a great book, even if you don't like nonfiction. It's just very informative and thought-provoking.

Fatalis

Reaction score
  • Agree

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Oh God, Animal Farm? Don't get me started. It's just the Russian Revolution with animal satires placed all over it. A three year old with stuffed animals could make something to the likeliness of that.

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
1) Ranger's Apprentice series

YES SOMEONE ELSE LIKES RANGER'S APPRENTICE SERIES.
( namelessgirl )

Most of my favorites are series, like Ranger's Apprentice, Series of Unfortunate Evens, Santa Paws (wasfrom when I was younger), Magic Treehouse (also from when I was younger) and the Hunger Games.

There is probably a lot more books, but I just can't remember much more, and these were the ones that stuck out. I normally don't re-read books, so I've forgotten names along the way.

And if I had to name some non series books.. Unwind (Which is actually a series but I've only read/had the first book), the Outsiders, and I actually really enjoyed Charlotte's Web when I was younger.

Reactions: asaechao

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
Oh God, Animal Farm? Don't get me started. It's just the Russian Revolution with animal satires placed all over it. A three year old with stuffed animals could make something to the likeliness of that.
But consider this: Orwell uses the animals as a simplistic allegory to help people better understand the Russian Revolution. Without reading Animal Farm, there's so much history, context, and philosophy to delve into. Of course, if you wanted to really understand it well, you'd go into all that, but with Animal Farm Orwell gives it to us in basic terms. That in itself is an accomplishment. Accessibility is important. Younger readers are much more likely to read (and enjoy) Catcher in the Rye or The Great Gatsby than Don Quixote or Les Miserables. And who's to say anything's wrong with books that utilize more simple and basic language? The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night Time is honestly one of the best books I've ever read, and it's very basic in it's use of language. But simple books can make us think. The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is a fairly simple allegory about good and evil, but it's still a very profound and meaningful book. Likewise, we can consider the deeper insights brought on by revolution, but we can use this allegory as a simpler way to do that. Simplicity isn't always a good thing, I've read some authors who were way too simple, and that made them bad writers. However, there's a definite art in saying what needs to be said as simply and efficiently possible.

Also, Orwell hits much more complex themes and stories within 1984 and Burmese Days. Good authors can write complex, intricate masterpieces. Great authors can write those too, but they can also write simple yet profound works that incorporate the ideas of great masterpieces. Sure you're going to have folks like Shakespeare and Dostoyevsky, but don't forget authors like Hemingway or Longfellow who accomplish just as much by writing simply and beautifully. :3

tl;dr Simple literature is still literature. It can help unfamiliar parties understand complex ideas and events, and can give experts a new perspective on them.

Fatalis

Reaction score
Did you consider the fact that each animal references their standing in society? Pigs are the leaders, horses are the laborers, etc.

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
OK I JUST WANT A FEELS FROM THIS THREAD. WHO HERE HAS EVER READ OBSCURE BOOKS THAT HAVE NEVER REACHED THE MASSES AND THEY ARE A SERIES BOOK BUT THE LIBRARY YOU CHECKED IT OUT FROM DIDN'T HAVE THE REST OF THE SERIES AND YOU COULD NEVER FIND THE REST OF THE BOOKS EVER.

;A;