What's Your Favourite Book?

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
vs.
or​
Huxley vs. Orwell​
Both Brave New World as well as 1984 belong to a class of fiction known as "dystopia". The term itself is a corruption of the word "utopia". In a dystopian work, a civilization is presented in the reverse of a utopia, and generally with a totalitarian government. These governments use different methods to control the masses and keep them from rising up against the government.​
In 1984, Orwell creates a world in which humanity is controlled by what it fears and hates. The countries are always at war and always with an enemy, there's a mandatory hate session for traitors, and the Thought Police know what you're doing and thinking about. Remember, Big Brother is Watching.​
In Brave New World, however, humanity is instead controlled by what it loves and takes pleasure in. Sexual promiscuity is taught and encouraged, drugs are handed out like candy, and humans are no longer procreated via nature's original process. Babies are instead artificially inseminated on assembly lines, with different castes having different attributes and genes.​
Both books cry out for the need for independent thought, and consumerism is a dangerous path to a dystopia. The solution is books, which is what this whole thread is about. :3​

kraby1

The Big Red Monster From Hell.
Reaction score
Wait Wait Wait... I just remembered another amazing book that I read sometime ago..

If anyone has read this, then I am pretty sure you either let out a tear or read the book twice( like me ) :D

DKnucklehead

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
A list compromising some of my favorites, avoiding some common books such as the Harry Potter, etc.​
A great book for pet lovers. Had a chance to meet the author and did some school related events with him. I cry like a baby every time I read this dang thing ;_;​
A great fiction survival novel. I'm not sure if this is a must read with some elementary schools still, but it still brings back good memories.​
It is a quirky little book of memorable short stories, worth an afternoon of reading!​
Some other favs I don't have the time to find an image/ write a sentence for:​
Animal Farm- Orwell​
Good Omens - Gaiman & Pratchett​
The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien​
The Lightning Thief- Riordan​
Stormbreaker - Horowitz​
And if I can throw in a couple graphic novels​
Fun Home - Bechdel​
Barefoot Gen - Nakazawa​

Reactions: Undefined User 7

K1ngHoward

SMP Vetop
Donor
Reaction score
Website
myanimelist.net
>>>>A book series that i lost the name of in sophomore year of high school i just found this summer and read the entire series. The "Ender's Game" Series which has a total of 11 books with a 12th book coming out soon. Half of the series is about Ender and his travels through the universe while the other half focuses on Ender's Right-hand man, Bean and his personal travels to protect the Earth from humans.
>>>>The first book ("Ender's Game") paints a world where the people of Earth have united to fight against an alien invasion that almost left the world annihilated by the "Formics." After fending off the two near fatal attacks with the help of the now legendary Mazer Rackham, 85 years have passed with peace, but after the Second Formic War the "International Fleet" began recruiting and training children at the age of 5 to be brought into space to become the next great commander to lead the charge against the Formic home planets. Is Ender the chosen commander to finally annihilate the threat to humanity?
>>>>A movie adaptation is being released this September and i can't wait to watch it. :D

Reactions: JKangaroo

Rytheria

Reaction score
I'd suggest books by Jim Butcher if you're into magic stories, sided by crime or medieval settings.
The Codex Alera is a large series set in medieval times, where, castles were present and civil war and conflict arises. Unlike the real world, the people of Alera (alerans) can manifest a fury spirit. They're based around the elements of the world.

I'd say more, but, it was a fantastic series and is interesting and set around a great plot.

The Catcher in the Rye always holds nostalgic memories for me.

1984 is a close second Biblius
Currently beggining to read The Catcher in the Rye. Most likely going to finish it on the plane..
Hopefully it'll be something of a good read.

Faliara

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I should suggest other stories that aren't IHTIGTSS (I Had Trouble In Getting To Solla Sollew).

All Books Written By Geronimo Stilton
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (Sadly, I haven't read its prequel, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but it must be as good as its sequel) by Roald Dahl
The Witches by Roald Dahl
A story about a giant peach and overgrown bugs (I forgot the title) by Roald Dahl
All Other Books Written By Roald Dahl
Katekyo Hitman Reborn manga.