What's Your Favourite Book?

Fatalis

Reaction score
vs.
or​
Huxley vs. Orwell​
Both Brave New World as well as 1984 belong to a class of fiction known as "dystopia". The term itself is a corruption of the word "utopia". In a dystopian work, a civilization is presented in the reverse of a utopia, and generally with a totalitarian government. These governments use different methods to control the masses and keep them from rising up against the government.​
In 1984, Orwell creates a world in which humanity is controlled by what it fears and hates. The countries are always at war and always with an enemy, there's a mandatory hate session for traitors, and the Thought Police know what you're doing and thinking about. Remember, Big Brother is Watching.​
In Brave New World, however, humanity is instead controlled by what it loves and takes pleasure in. Sexual promiscuity is taught and encouraged, drugs are handed out like candy, and humans are no longer procreated via nature's original process. Babies are instead artificially inseminated on assembly lines, with different castes having different attributes and genes.​
Both books cry out for the need for independent thought, and consumerism is a dangerous path to a dystopia. The solution is books, which is what this whole thread is about. :3​
Precisely this. 1984 has to be my favorite with Brave New World coming up close behind. Two other good books are:

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. I read 1984 before reading this, and I'm 99.9999% sure this is what George Orwell based his book on. It's very similar to 1984. From Wikipedia:

We is set in the future. D-503 lives in the One State, an urban nation constructed almost entirely of glass, which allows the secret police/spies to inform on and supervise the public more easily. The structure of the state is analogous to the prison design concept developed by Jeremy Bentham commonly referred to as the Panopticon. Furthermore, life is organized to promote maximum productive efficiency along the lines of the system advocated by the hugely influential F.W. Taylor. People march in step with each other and wear identical clothing. There is no way of referring to people save by their given numbers. Males have odd numbers prefixed by consonants; females have even numbers prefixed by vowels.

One of the first dystopian books I read was Fahrenheit 451. Another amazing book, and one I'd recommend you read. The book is set in the future where reading (or even owning) books is illegal. Firemen are tasked with burning books - and the houses that contain them. The story revolves around Guy Montag, a veteran fireman, and his change from destroying books to saving them.

Reactions: Undefined User 7
D

Deleted member 4601

When it comes to books, I would prefer non-fiction to fiction books, so most of the books I read are related to true facts, especially about science. Here are some of my favourites:

An Inconvenient Truth
----Al Gore
The Greatest Gift
----Philip Van Doren Stern
Flowers for Algernon
----Daniel Keyes
The Hunger Games
----Suzanne Collins

EDIT: The books listed above are are fiction except for An Inconvenient Truth.

77thShad

Ayy lmao
Reaction score
All time favourite has to be the Gone series by Michael Grant... Holy it is a good series. I had goose bumps at how good the last book was. It was the first time where I read the last page put the book down, and said: 'wow'.
You would NOT be dissapointed in it, it's just amazing. Grant develops the characters so well you care about what happens to them. It's got an awesome story line. There's 6 books to keep you preoccuppied for a long time. It's just awesome.

Gone is a young-adult dystopian science fiction book series written by Michael Grant. The series is centered around the fictional American town of Perdido Beach, in which every human 15 and older vanishes. The town and surrounding areas become encased within an impenetrable energy barrier, with many of its inhabitants developing supernatural powers. The books follow the exploits of the protagonist, Sam Temple, as he battles antagonists Caine Soren and Drake Merwin, as well as a mysterious, malevolent creature.

Reactions: 1 person

Superchops

Reaction score
Non-fiction? O_O

most of the books I read are related to true facts, especially about science. Here are some of my favourites:

The Hunger Games
----Suzanne Collins
It was a not-very-good joke. Watermelon's favourite books are all non-fiction, but the Hunger Games isn't, so the implication was that the Hunger Games is a non-fiction book

Turns out it wasn't a very good joke, so nevermind! :L

D

DarkHender

It's a very easy read.
Though I have always thought of this book as my favourite.
I have not read this book for years, though it's still my favourite.

digi

-
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
vs.
or​
Huxley vs. Orwell​
Both Brave New World as well as 1984 belong to a class of fiction known as "dystopia". The term itself is a corruption of the word "utopia". In a dystopian work, a civilization is presented in the reverse of a utopia, and generally with a totalitarian government. These governments use different methods to control the masses and keep them from rising up against the government.​
In 1984, Orwell creates a world in which humanity is controlled by what it fears and hates. The countries are always at war and always with an enemy, there's a mandatory hate session for traitors, and the Thought Police know what you're doing and thinking about. Remember, Big Brother is Watching.​
In Brave New World, however, humanity is instead controlled by what it loves and takes pleasure in. Sexual promiscuity is taught and encouraged, drugs are handed out like candy, and humans are no longer procreated via nature's original process. Babies are instead artificially inseminated on assembly lines, with different castes having different attributes and genes.​
Both books cry out for the need for independent thought, and consumerism is a dangerous path to a dystopia. The solution is books, which is what this whole thread is about. :3​

Oh. My. God. I can talk to you for hours about 1984! Please tell me you read Animal Farm.

These books right 'ere...

lol
On a serious note...
I'm going to have to agree with Bram13. I loved It when I was young.
My favourite books right now, have to be the Millennium series, Tarantula and for comedy, Tina Fey's BossyPants biography. I love her, she is my idol.

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
I loved It when I was young.
Okay, story time.

When I was in middle school, all I did was read. I literally had 2 friends, counting my brother. Suffice to say that I got in a lot of trouble for reading books instead of working in math class. Being an undeniable bookworm, I naturally went to the library instead of recess. Anyways, there was always this section of 'restricted books' that I needed to get parental permission to access. Well I eventually plucked up the courage and asked my mom to sign it for me.

"What's this?"

"Nothing mom just sign it."

"Okay."

And there I was, grinning like an idiot at how I played the system and would now get to read "grown up books" and be a mature adult. The first book I checked out was Firestarter, which was cool as shit, and I loved it. I'd never heard of Stephen King before, so I wanted to read more. A thing should be said about providence though, namely that sometimes it just completely deserts you. The next book I picked out was Cujo, which I didn't finish due to it being scary as fuck. Unfortunately, the next book I read by Mr. King I finished. And yep, you guessed right, that book was It. And. I. Shit. Bricks. I didn't sleep for like a week. I wouldn't shower unless my brother was standing in the bathroom doorway. I had to find and plug in my old night light.

I'm sure there's ultimately a moral here about knowing your place, or facing your fears, or some other profound bullshit like that. But to be honest, I really just hate clowns now, and Stephen King is kinda ruined for me. I'm sure if I read some of his other works my opinion would change, but I guess we'll never know. #nevergoingback #nope

• Haha
Reactions: Faliara