OOC Travels of the Afterlife Discussion

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
hehehe "TotA"
My favorite acronym yet.

I'm in, just need to character.
Also...HOLY CRAP WE CAN HAVE TWO? This is gonna be a good time.

Just one question: What's the time setting, like, is it strictly modern? You also mentioned aliens so...I don't know?
Just one more question: How big of an area is the Mists of Awakening?
-frig, one more- Do we like not have bodies? Like, we are ethereal?

Faliara

Reaction score
Just one question: What's the time setting, like, is it strictly modern? You also mentioned aliens so...I don't know?
Just one more question: How big of an area is the Mists of Awakening?
-frig, one more- Do we like not have bodies? Like, we are ethereal?
In the world of the living, it is indeed in modern times, but notably there are some who never even wake up so it isn't too far of a stretch for someone from Victorian times to wake up late.

On aliens... Well, this is the afterlife. If you feel like adding out-of-this-world beings (heh) to the game you can.

Think spawning smack in the middle of a desert biome, and trying to get out.

And no, we do not have bodies, and yes, we are ethereal. Though that doesn't really matter too much here since you're in the afterlife and can only pass through the occasional piece of debris for some reason. You can't go through them all, either.

• Informative
Reactions: Timdood3

Faliara

Reaction score
There's also info that the characters will probably want to learn, as well as different clothing, but the quickest way to get that is head east so while you don't necessarily have to I ask that you all head that direction!

Faliara

Reaction score
I made a map. There's a labeled version, and an unlabeled version.

http://faliara.deviantart.com/art/Map-of-The-Afterlife-1-labeled-525703289
http://faliara.deviantart.com/art/Map-of-the-Afterlife-1-unlabeled-525703548

The world will expand as time goes by, so don't think that this is all to be found!

Edit: Also, everything is floating. The pallet I used for the surrounding area for the floating islands is actually sky blue. So while it looks like that from above, it is indeed going to be suspended in midair (even the ocean floor, with it's rocks and sea-like surroundings).

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a character from an artificial race engineered to mimic 'phoenixes'.
Even if I was completely comfortable with using Catcocomics for this,
In the world of the living, it is indeed in modern times
means that he hasn't even been taken to the Milky Way galaxy yet and hasn't yet reached two decades after his death.

The spoiler contains information and lore regarding 'dragons', of which this new character was before death.
The artificial race I mention before has more powerful magic capabilities than 'phoenixes' and can fly almost as fast as them, but are created as actual living beings, meaning they can die.
The project for making this artificial race was code-named 'Dragon', and as such, the race is often referred to as 'dragons'.
'Dragons', like the dragons from myths, enjoy riddles and knowledge, and can shape shift once every hour (taking human form by default) at any age, and some have taken a liking to gold and gems.
Similar to 'phoenixes', 'dragons' have 8 basic elemental paths of magic and an ethereal reagent storage, but instead of the random variation of elemental powers the 'phoenixes' have, 'dragons' have a more regular selection and can choose two elements they may use separately and/or combine.
'Dragons' are capable of lasting over one thousand years, but start running into physical and magical issues if they ever manage to make it past 1,200.
While 'phoenixes are exceptional when it comes to using their magic defensively, 'Dragons' were designed to be better using their magic offensively, while their defensive capabilities are often feeble.
'Dragons' were created in secret by a group waging interstellar war with another civilization in a galaxy near the Andromeda and Milky Way. This group had recently been studying 'phoenixes' (they often spied on the 'phoenixes' and, occasionally, would capture one or two) and, out of arrogance, created 'dragons'.

I might also use a second character, though not for a while.

Faliara

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a character from an artificial race engineered to mimic 'phoenixes'.
Even if I was completely comfortable with using Catcocomics for this,

means that he hasn't even been taken to the Milky Way galaxy yet and hasn't yet reached two decades after his death.

The spoiler contains information and lore regarding 'dragons', of which this new character was before death.
The artificial race I mention before has more powerful magic capabilities than 'phoenixes' and can fly almost as fast as them, but are created as actual living beings, meaning they can die.
The project for making this artificial race was code-named 'Dragon', and as such, the race is often referred to as 'dragons'.
'Dragons', like the dragons from myths, enjoy riddles and knowledge, and can shape shift once every hour (taking human form by default) at any age, and some have taken a liking to gold and gems.
Similar to 'phoenixes', 'dragons' have 8 basic elemental paths of magic and an ethereal reagent storage, but instead of the random variation of elemental powers the 'phoenixes' have, 'dragons' have a more regular selection and can choose two elements they may use separately and/or combine.
'Dragons' are capable of lasting over one thousand years, but start running into physical and magical issues if they ever manage to make it past 1,200.
While 'phoenixes are exceptional when it comes to using their magic defensively, 'Dragons' were designed to be better using their magic offensively, while their defensive capabilities are often feeble.
'Dragons' were created in secret by a group waging interstellar war with another civilization in a galaxy near the Andromeda and Milky Way. This group had recently been studying 'phoenixes' (they often spied on the 'phoenixes' and, occasionally, would capture one or two) and, out of arrogance, created 'dragons'.

I might also use a second character, though not for a while.
Remember, Catco, he might have had powers in the world of the living, but in the world of the dead gaining a power of your own will be a long time from now~

(If you had wished to roleplay as a living character, I apologize for the inconvenience but anyone who enters the afterlife is dead no matter how they got there. Think of it as insta-kill zone or something.)

• Thank You
Reactions: Timdood3

Faliara

Reaction score
I'll be posting Rosa and Ella's interaction first. Feel free to join in when you're ready.

Rosa is dark-skinned, with straight-cut bangs and brown hair tied up in a high ponytail. She has brown eyes a few shades darker than her hair, and ended up with the dress. She died recently at the age of 15 in a car crash.

Ella has fair skin, with short brown-blonde hair and green eyes. She also got the dress, and managed to keep her hat with her in death. As she is still unable to recall anything from her life, her age, the era she originates from and how she died is unknown (this doesn't happen often, but it has a higher chance of occurence with young children than adults). She appears to be quite young, however.

(It is not necessary to describe their personalities and such, as I have found that to describe a person's personality completely is impossible. This is why I didn't put in a form to fill out for GotE, or put one here either, for that matter. It is, however, required to describe their appearance, at the very least, to make it easier to envision what is going on :))

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
not sure if I'm joining this one but lets face it i most likely will

I'll create a character later, just suggesting: you should probably put [IC] for the role-play thread if you're splitting it up

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Remember, Catco, he might have had powers in the world of the living, but in the world of the dead gaining a power of your own will be a long time from now~
If I've learned anything from the mistake I made in GotE, it's a good idea to give the important information and mechanics behind something/someone as soon as possible.
Even if this new character can't use the powers they had in the living world, it's still important to know what they could do when they were alive as it could easily affect their characteristics after death.

Faliara

Reaction score
If I've learned anything from the mistake I made in GotE, it's a good idea to give the important information and mechanics behind something/someone as soon as possible.
Even if this new character can't use the powers they had in the living world, it's still important to know what they could do when they were alive as it could easily affect their characteristics after death.
Whatever powers a character might gain in the afterlife may not exactly match up to the power they had alive. So there's a possibility your character ends up with something completely different, just letting you know- but you won't have to worry about this just yet.

Don't make your character too OP when you join, okay?

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I think I should mention one more set of things: unlike 'phoenixes', 'dragons' don't use star power, meaning their magic power isn't regenerated by start light. Instead, 'Dragons' have to consume specially created foods to regain magic energy.
'Dragons' were designed to draw magic power from electricity, but they can't simply absorb it from the outside.
Also unlike 'phoenixes', 'dragons' have to eat. They don't have to east a whole lot, but food helps them turn electricity into magic energy.

So, this kind of helps balance the more powerful magic the 'dragons' have by essentially preventing them from spamming it.

Again, this is just so we have a bit of an understanding of what this new character could have experienced in life, and I intend for them to be next to useless until at least their first problem is solved (and it will likely be it's own arc, but not confirmed as of now).

Unlike 'phoenixes', 'Dragons' have genders (because what humanoid/anthropomorphic creatures we know don't?), and I'm honestly unsure if I want this character to be male or female.
Might leave that up to the others.

But aside from that, what ability should this new character have early on? I'm kind of thinking shape shifting (limited if starter ability),
Not that this will matter much as the character will start out too emotionally conflicted to control it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Hunter