OOC Travels of the Afterlife Discussion

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not joining just yet but here's a description of my first character;

Lili is french. She speaks French, but can speak small snippets of English due to the time spent with British people. She has olive skin to the slightly darker side, grey-blue eyes and long, wavy golden-brown hair that is pulled up into a loose bun at the back of her head. She's 18 years old and died in 1918 whilst tending to a soldier in the first world war from a bullet to the head. In the afterlife she is seen in the ethereal dress.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I'm already a human in real life and I think I get enough of being human just from that, thanks.
Besides, I think it's more interesting to have non-human characters, and I'm more willing to play as a non-human than to go the easy way.

CaffeinatedKitty

Intoxicated Feline
Reaction score
It's not really the easy way when humans are so diverse ._. They don't have to have the same appearance, interests, fears, or pretty much anything as you do. Not a single one of mine is really similar to me. While it may be fun to create a whole new race, it's still rather tough to develop a single new human character.

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'm gonna try a slightly more narrative based story telling for Cameron. Because a) it feels right for him and b) it's good to experiment with writing styles.

And to clear anything up: Cameron was a cultist. He died by ritual suicide in an attempt to reach the afterlife and come back. I'll not go into how exactly the ritual went (maybe later in a flashback). Obviously, he's not going to be coming back and that'll be the part he has trouble coming to peace with, not his death itself. I'm planning at some point later he's going to just flip the fuck out because "WTF I'M STILL DEAD WTF WTF?!?!"

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Introductory post made.
It may be noted that the text in 'Times New Roman' font is a bit narrative of my character(s) in this RP.
The 'narrator' talks as if some time as passed since the events of the RP, but if the RP goes far enough into the future, we may be able to encounter the 'narrator' as a NPC in the world of the living.

Now more importantly, I'm bad at coming up with good names for new characters.
I'm letting people to choose this character's name (though this character starts off with a designation... names are better) if they so wish, but I'm kind of requesting that somebody, after having their character encounter my character, decide what this character's gender is.

Faliara

Reaction score
You didn't ask for permission to use an NPC as you're supposed to (did I add that in actually? I'll check again after this, if it's not stated there I'll edit). I'll allow this once, but please ask next time.

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
You didn't ask for permission to use an NPC as you're supposed to (did I add that in actually? I'll check again after this, if it's not stated there I'll edit). I'll allow this once, but please ask next time.
He hasn't actually created an npc, just
we may be able to encounter the 'narrator' as a NPC in the world of the living.
Which, by the way, I think to be silly and implausible/impossible. How is an outsider (someone who's alive) to know what's happening in the spiritworld(/afterlife)? Frig, the rest of Cameron's cult would (literally) kill for that ability. If you ask me, no one can know anything about the afterlife (and by extension, anyone or anything in it) until they're actually there, at which point they can't return to life. Being part of some super-cosmic race can't grant you that ability as it would kind of violate the premise of the RP (don't ask me to describe what I meant by that, I can't describe it).

Faliara

Reaction score
He hasn't actually created an npc, just

Which, by the way, I think to be silly and implausible/impossible. How is an outsider (someone who's alive) to know what's happening in the spiritworld(/afterlife)? Frig, the rest of Cameron's cult would (literally) kill for that ability. If you ask me, no one can know anything about the afterlife (and by extension, anyone or anything in it) until they're actually there, at which point they can't return to life. Being part of some super-cosmic race can't grant you that ability as it would kind of violate the premise of the RP (don't ask me to describe what I meant by that, I can't describe it).
... There is actually a way to reach the world of the living, except you're still a ghost and thus will most likely be regarded with fear, as the ethereal-ness cannot be removed and you'll most likely be regarded with fear and some methods also risk psychological effects (*stares at the Fallen Father*)

... I'm kind of worried I accidentally said that now. Did I?

Catcocomics

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, people in the after life can sometimes go into the physical world as ghosts, and as I stated, the 'narrator' can be found in the physical world if we go far enough into the future with the RP.

Though I guess I was a little vague about how far into the future the RP would have to go; I'd say about two or free decades at least.
I also didn't say that I would be playing this NPC just that he'd be there and that he is narrating for my character(s) in this RP sometime further in the future.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Hunter

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, people in the after life can sometimes go into the physical world as ghosts, and as I stated, the 'narrator' can be found in the physical world if we go far enough into the future with the RP.

Though I guess I was a little vague about how far into the future the RP would have to go; I'd say about two or free decades at least.
I also didn't say that I would be playing this NPC just that he'd be there and that he is narrating for my character(s) in this RP sometime further in the future.
explain how exactly this narrator is narrating. Who is he narrating to? How does he know what's happening in order to narrate it?
These are the things I'm worried about.

Narrators exist (figuratively) to explain to an audience what is happening. Very rarely do narrators actually physically appear. On the occasion that they do, it's only to, say, narrate a scene that just happened in a movie. If the narrator did become an NPC, what would his purpose be? To narrate? He'd have been doing that the entire RP. The only thing that would do is break the fourth wall. Which is bad.

Faliara

Reaction score
explain how exactly this narrator is narrating. Who is he narrating to? How does he know what's happening in order to narrate it?
These are the things I'm worried about.

Narrators exist (figuratively) to explain to an audience what is happening. Very rarely do narrators actually physically appear. On the occasion that they do, it's only to, say, narrate a scene that just happened in a movie. If the narrator did become an NPC, what would his purpose be? To narrate? He'd have been doing that the entire RP. The only thing that would do is break the fourth wall. Which is bad.
I think it's in the same way Dipper from Gravity Falls narrated the first episode. (Unless it turns out he was telling this story to someone, which knowing the show would... Not be that surprising, actually.) He was never telling the story to anyone at all, and in the actual roleplay never even thought of it.

Although, I'm not truly comfortable with the fact that someone we haven't even met yet is narrating, as that sortof narrator could foreshadow things that might not even happen, possibly forcing us to make such circumstances. There may be methods to reach the real world, but with the near-impossibility of it and the character's eventual knowledge that they'll still be dead, we might not even go there in the end.

(Gah. Arc plunnies. Stop.)

Catcocomics

Reaction score
put simply, someone from the after life encounters the 'narrator', ends up telling them something of their travels, and when the 'narrator' and who ever meets the 'narrator' part ways, the 'narrator' stops narrating (because he will not know what happens after). Who he may be narrating too... could be anyone in his world.

Chances are, I'll be playing that 'someone', though others are welcome to come if they choose.

Last edited:

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
put simply, someone from the after life encounters the 'narrator', ends up telling them something of their travels, and when the 'narrator' and who ever meets the 'narrator' part ways, the 'narrator' stops narrating (because he will not know what happens after). Who he may be narrating too... could be anyone in his world.

Chances are, I'll be playing that 'someone', though others are welcome to come if they choose.
It seems far too convoluted and pointless for me to be on board with it. I'm perfectly fine with a narrative writing style (hell, that's what I'm doing), but having a narrator NPC just doesn't fit or make sense.

Last edited:

Faliara

Reaction score
Actually...That doesn't sound pretty interesting. And also like it'd be fun to portray. Win-Win!
'Doesn't?'

EDIT: And if he thinks he's a dragon, then there's actually the possibility that he'll gain the power to shapeshift into one. That's not happening anytime soon, though, so if this ends up going through... Yeah. It certainly would be interesting.

• Thank You
Reactions: Hunter and Timdood3