Status
Not open for further replies.

Pick Yer Poison

is a kid now, is a squid now
Reaction score
Website
itisntrocketscience.tumblr.com
Thank you Dio, for my first two negative ratings. <3

Edit - And Poison for some more. Much appreciated.
You're welcome. You deserved it for being rude and mildly childish. You deserved it even more after you slapped a dislike on my most recent post without regard to the content, then complained about the whole thing in public.

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Yes this is a bit out of hand but I wouldn't go to the point of calling it stupid. Some friends were just having fun with each other by spamming a wall. I see no issue with this other than that it can be mildly annoying but the person who was spammed can ask them to stop.

Anyways why should we stop the amount of likes given in a day? I personally go through when I am bored and will like things that I hadn't seen before (such as in dead threads)

Spencer75

Reaction score
See that's just really stupid
I don't see any problem with mass amounts of likes, as long as it's between friends and not on some random person's profile. All of those alerts were from friends liking my posts and commenting on my profile, as I had done the same to some of theirs, just not as much as that.

At the end of the day it's just a bit of fun and as people have said above if they want that person to stop spamming the recent activity with their likes they can just ask them. When I was liking some posts in an old thread Malc asked me to stop liking his, as he didn't want the alerts. I stopped there an then and nothing more was said.

• Agree
Reactions: MDooley15

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Christ. He's trying to get the point across that the Recent Activity page gets flooded with ratings that do not need to be there, if you don't have anything to contribute to the thread, or as to why you disagree with his suggestion there is no need to give him dislikes, as they are not the same as disagreeing.

I personally agree with him, while It does not bother me I would like to be able to see replies to posts and threads posted then see 100 ratings, then a reply, then another 30 ratings, then a thread posted, then another 50 ratings.

So, isn't this only about the Recent Activity feed not showing the proper content, but feeling spammy due to showing all the rating as well? http://blocktopia.net/forum/recent-activity/

How about I simply disable this activity stream showing the post ratings people give, and only actual replies, topics, etc?
I think that would be appropriate as to what he is suggesting, I don't see why people wouldn't want them removed as they provide no benefit being there other than showing people that they have liked, disliked or winner'd someone's post.

I don't see any problem with mass amounts of likes, as long as it's between friends and not on some random person's profile. All of those alerts were from friends liking my posts and commenting on my profile, as I had done the same to some of theirs, just not as much as that.

At the end of the day it's just a bit of fun and as people have said above if they want that person to stop spamming the recent activity with their likes they can just ask them. When I was liking some posts in an old thread Malc asked me to stop liking his, as he didn't want the alerts. I stopped there an then and nothing more was said.
I think he is more bothered by the fact that the Recent Activity gets filled up with likes, rather than the fact that someone's profile is covered with likes.

D

DieLorelei

This particular forum set up has been around for almost 2 years now... Why is this suddenly a problem?

Likes don't get you ranks, likes don't make you cool, likes don't make you any better than any one else, and neither do dislikes... And for two years, no one has cared who had rated anything...

I don't check recent activity often, but when I do, sometimes its nice to see what other people are rating, so that I can go to the post and see it for myself...

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
To be quite honest, I would rather see actual content such as what people are thinking/writing/replying to in a thread than to see what they rated a post as.
And I kind of think that the rating system should be thrown out--It's like text speak but for forums. Sometimes people would usually rate something but fail to reply as to why they rated such things as so. I would rather like to see more substance than a simple rating.

D

DieLorelei

To be quite honest, I would rather see actual content such as what people are thinking/writing/replying to in a thread than to see what they rated a post as.
And I kind of think that the rating system should be thrown out--It's like text speak but for forums. Sometimes people would usually rate something but fail to reply as to why they rated such things as so. I would rather like to see more substance than a simple rating.
Very true, but that said, ratings do serve and hold their purpose... If people don't have an opinion on the topic, but like the opinions of someone else, I would rather see that person's post get recognition and support through ratings than through 10 different people all quoting your post:

FictionalUser said:
I like this :)
Ya know?

MDooley15

Reaction score
Website
www.helpfeedthetroll.com
Erm, I have no idea how to start this or even continue since I have made an ass out of myself. I made one mistake and carried on making them. This is my apology to Dio4344 And Pick Yer Poison.

I do still disagree with the main concept of this thread Dio, however I should have and could have handled it much better than I did rather than vent my anger on this thread where everyone could see it.

Poison, I kept arguing with you even after you proved me wrong and for that I have to say is my own stubbornness.

If you would both forgive me that would be wonderful, thanks.

Matthew.

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
I'm not sure where I stand on this. Yes, it can be annoying to see all those ratings on the recent activity thread, but I really look at it that much, so I can't say much. But I will say this. I don't believe it is necessarily that important to remove it from recent activity. As snowma/mario said earlier,
Really, I agree with Snowma. It's annoying, but you can just scroll past all the Likes and stuff. It's not a huge hassle.
you can just scroll right past it. On the other hand I agree with what notty and gmk have said.
So, isn't this only about the Recent Activity feed not showing the proper content, but feeling spammy due to showing all the rating as well? http://blocktopia.net/forum/recent-activity/

How about I simply disable this activity stream showing the post ratings people give, and only actual replies, topics, etc?
Can it be made into an option so when someone wants it off he/she can turn it off?
So the people who want it off can have it off, and the people who don't care leave it how it is now.
So for the people who want to see all of the likes and what not, they still have the option to do so.

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
I just noticed after I posted this thread and you guys are doing it MORE to try and get my angry. Please stop
Wait wait wait wait wait, hold up, what?
I'm sorry, I don't see how you came to this radical conclusion with no real evidence about it.
This feels totally uncalled for, because I'm pretty certain, just because you posted this thread, people are NOT out to "get you" or "annoy you" to a greater degree just by using likes and any other type of rating used on the forum just for that purpose.

I will state what I stated before, and should be obvious;
The usage of ratings is simply this: To provide an easy means of access to express one's own opinion, whether they find a piece of wording or picture entertaining, rage-inducing, creative or artistic or inspirational, and ANY other feeling or emotion that happens to be present in whatever piece of work at the time of the given rating.
These are used as a means to express said opinion WITHOUT the need for a possibly useless or non-productive (and possibly even restating what has already said) post merely to state that opinion.
For that thought is why I disagree with this idea:
And just as a note, just because you disagree with the idea doesn't mean you need to barage the OP with a ton of dislikes/disagrees. If you truly disagree with the idea, post your reasoning behind it.
To a certain degree.

And, though this may be derailing the thread to another degree,
Please, do not merely assume that merely because you posted a thread regarding this topic that people are suddenly out to get you, as that is quite frankly and undoubtedly not true.
People are using their rating power as they please in such a way that is done by people everyday.
If you find something you enjoy, are engaging in friendly banter or conversations, possibly something interesting, what do you do?: Give it a like or a rating of course if you feel so obliged for such a course of action!
There is really nothing besides that.
So please, stop jumping to these radical ideas.
They don't serve any purpose then lessen the actual argument you are trying to make here.

Besides that, I remain adamant in my original post that taking away the ability to even see these ratings in the recent activity seems unnecessary, agreeing with Fruit here.
Taking it away completely takes away the right for one demographic who WANTS to see such things.
Not addressing this issue (though I'm not one of those who see this as an issue), also abandons a different demographic.
Just put a sort of sorting or option box which you can click to filter anything you don't want to view in recent activity, as people have already mentioned before.
That way, EVERYONE PROBABLY WINS.
(Edit: Thank you whoever cleaned up the thread. \o/)

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
as they are not the same as disagreeing.
This. I'm pretty sure some people have forgotten the difference between disagreeing and disliking. As for the recent activity thing, I've never really looked at it, but I can understand where Dio is coming from, though as Mario said, it isn't that much of a hassle to scroll past it.

• Agree
Reactions: Spencer75

gay vampire

Little Miss Organs
Reaction score
Guys. Cut the drama and stay on topic please. Randomly yelling that out at dio has NOTHING to do with the thread and it's insulting. Any more off-topic posts will result in warnings being given out.

My opinion on this is agreeing with what has been said above; This is unnecessary. If someone's been spamming other people with likes then you can just scroll past it. Though, it would be useful to have an option to disable what ratings people gave in recent activity. If it's bothering you that much, kindly ask them to stop.

mariosatr

Imperator Romanus Sacer
Reaction score
Alright. Points that have been covered:
  • It's not necessary, some people don't mind, etc. Lots of points meaning the same thing.
  • However, some people get annoyed by it.
  • A feature could be added letting you be able to enable/disable the ratings in recent activity.
Personally, I'm beginning to thing the third bullet point would be best to make everyone happy, but I think that, for sure, this thread should be coming to a conclusion by now. There's not much more that can actually be said that will contribute enough.

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
Alright. Points that have been covered:
  • A feature could be added letting you be able to enable/disable the ratings in recent activity.
Personally, I'm beginning to thing the third bullet point would be best to make everyone happy, but I think that, for sure, this thread should be coming to a conclusion by now. There's not much more that can actually be said that will contribute enough.
-Takes a deep breath-

There's an option to turn this shit off. Lrn2thread. I don't know why everyone insisted on ignoring Defiant_Blob 's post, and instead continued with the massive shit storm.

However, as for other people's profiles, why'd you want the likes out of the way? If I was going to stalk someone, hell, I'd record every last rating, response, thread, quote, picture and message they've ever written into separate word documents. That's how a real stalker works, as some people may know me to do so to them, right AvantGarde -Throws creepy grin over to him- :roflmao:

Anyway, that's my opinion (and since it's mine it's probably right) so please segregate me from the shit storm this thread has oh so lovingly caused, because I'm not responding to someone who just wants to be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.