Shinyshark operator application

Collosal

Reaction score
I wasn't really talking about with players individually, I was speaking of the server as a whole. Like I had said before, if something happens on the server that causes the server to get very serious for a time then once the event that has happened is over then you could do something like bring up another topic or tell a joke to help calm the mood. This is a large reason for disguise craft so that the operators can keep the server happy and peaceful.

Shinyshark

Professional innuendo creator/finder.
Reaction score
I wasn't really talking about with players individually, I was speaking of the server as a whole. Like I had said before, if something happens on the server that causes the server to get very serious for a time then once the event that has happened is over then you could do something like bring up another topic or tell a joke to help calm the mood. This is a large reason for disguise craft so that the operators can keep the server happy and peaceful.
Every individual means everyone on the server.

Collosal

Reaction score
My bad, I must have misread the small detail. Anyhow, my vote stays a 0 for now as I still don't see you on much and I'm concerned with why you want the rank.

• Thank You
Reactions: Shinyshark

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
Straight to the point - I know you can staff. You've done it for a long time in the past and did a good job at it too. Overall I haven't seen you much on the server but that's probably due to my own business and timezone. Considering you have a reasonable amount of time this month alone, I wouldn't say it's a big concern for me. :p My concern is that I have noticed this argumentative side to you prior and sometimes it can be hard to communicate with someone who doesn't want or like to back down (ex. adding a few more lines here being a simple request). If this is something you can take into consideration, I am okay with giving you a +1 since that was what I noticed most about the application.

Reactions: Zelz

Naterger

Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
Ill post about the arguing later today.
See this is just what i mentioned in my vote..
There are many times where you just need to drop it, regardless of the situation..
No one asked you to defend yourself for arguing, everyone argues yes, but you seem to have this attitude that everyone's "attacking" you. We are not, we are simply voicing our concerns to heighten your chances of acceptance. There really isn't a "right or a wrong" in this case, both sides could go on for an hour about either topic. It takes a lot to be a big man and simply take head the constructive criticism given to you by those in the position you are after, as well as those who've been in the position themselves.

Yes, many of us have voted with a 0 or a -1 for reasons we've deemed as you arguing. Seeing you take the higher road and not return to us with a defense for your actions (that will more than likely spark more arguments) would show a tremendous step in the right direction. Seeing you simply defend your actions yet again will show you've taken in through one ear what we've said and sent it out the other ear. We are all here to better each other as staff and as people, none of us are out to get you. We all just want the server to be the best it can be.

• Optimistic
Reactions: davidjl123

Zelz

the cooliest
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
See this is just what i mentioned in my vote..
No one asked you to defend yourself for arguing, everyone argues yes, but you seem to have this attitude that everyone's "attacking" you. We are not, we are simply voicing our concerns to heighten your chances of acceptance. There really isn't a "right or a wrong" in this case, both sides could go on for an hour about either topic. It takes a lot to be a big man and simply take head the constructive criticism given to you by those in the position you are after, as well as those who've been in the position themselves.

Yes, many of us have voted with a 0 or a -1 for reasons we've deemed as you arguing. Seeing you take the higher road and not return to us with a defense for your actions (that will more than likely spark more arguments) would show a tremendous step in the right direction. Seeing you simply defend your actions yet again will show you've taken in through one ear what we've said and sent it out the other ear. We are all here to better each other as staff and as people, none of us are out to get you. We all just want the server to be the best it can be.
I don't want to argue, but I just want to point out that ofcourse he's defending himself, it's pretty much human nature. You're jumping onto him before he's said anything. He might want to apologize, or state an opinion, we don't know yet. Give him time, because I honestly think that whatever he has to say will be better. Again, I don't want to argue, just felt this had to be said, and I'm sorry if this causes any problems.

Shinyshark

Reaction score
You're saying things that I haven't said. You're saying I don't listen and I'm not allowed to justify that statement because it's arguing. If I argue about me not arguing it would turn into a paradox. What do you expect me to do? Even when I said in a short and targeted way that I understood I get quoted and I receive critique.

But I'm just saying that. You're going to take what I say and twist it around again. I never said I was going to continue the argument. All I've said was "I'll talk about the arguing later today" and that was it. If you don't understand what it means, don't quote it to talk about it.

I'm waiting on Sploorky so he can give me advice on what to do. That's why I said I'd do it later today. I realize I am argumentative, but there's more to this entire story than just that. Bonds between people in this thread that very little people know about. They're crucial to understand my stubborn-es or irritation but I'm not going to throw them out there because I know how everyone reacts to that here. My application is already a fucking mess, I just want to explain why I reacted in the way I did and I need someone to help me contain myself before I say something stupid again.

Reactions: Zelz

Shinyshark

Reaction score
Ok, here goes.

The last time I've truly been active in blocktopia was over eight months ago. Back then I was the enthusiastic guy that would host events and try to get Solitude back up. I've left blocktopia since that and went to a different community where I became manager of a server. I noticed that you can't be enthusiastic about everything all the time, unless you have no job, school or obligations and can spend 24/7 behind a PC monitor. Everyday I was contacted by at least seven people about various amount of things such as donations, rules or new content.

This got to the point where I got sick of it. I stopped using smileys so that people wouldn't think: "Oh yes, the owner likes me so I've got it in the bag now." Everyone licks your ass when you are the person that can veto and accept any decision and it happened a lot. Now that I stopped using smileys, people didn't start talking to me everyday about their life and their friends. If you have two friends and they do it occasionally, then that's fine. But when you get your staff members along with community members who secretly want to apply talk to you about their life day by day you grow tired of it.

I stopped looking enthusiastic, even if I loved the idea of adding onto my server. It didn't help to say "Wooohooo we're adding new guns" because people would say "Oh can you add this too? And this?" Once again, that works if it's only one user but I'm one guy and they are a playerbase of around 20 regulars and 70 come-and-go'ers a day. It got the point where I had to argue with my staff members because they didn't understand that no meant "No, I'm not adding it now shut up or lose your rank."

Every post I posted on the forums was short and targeted to the point. If I announced something, I stuck to announcing it. No thank you's for all the support or enthusiastic cheering and promises for more content. Everyone I wanted to thank I had already thanked (and paid) and I had learned from previous experiences that being enthusiastic just costs me hours of my day. Promising new content is never a good idea because coding is dangerous. You can't say "The code will be done in five hours" because any glitch or bug that arises delays that by at least another half hour if you're lucky.

I've grown from being enthusiastic to serious and straight to the point, hence the short posts. It's happened to me before that I posted something and the context wasn't clear which resulted into arguments against my post. I tried to avoid that by keeping my posts as short as possible. Even then my posts were taken out of context. Prizyms suggested I add on to my application, that is a suggestion. I respond saying I don't see why I'd have to add more seeing as I have added all I wanted to add. That's where it could've stopped because that was it.

When I posted my application I did look over it and I was happy with it. It was short and to the point. This is what you have to know, this is what I can and this is what I will do. I don't do long threads filled with bullshit about how I love every user on the server because that's a lie. I'm not going to say I am insanely interested in every group of players on blocktopia because I am not. I said I would try to make the server more enjoyable; to help players by giving advice, opinions and by making them feel safe on the server. That I would deal with rule breaking as every staff member is expected to.

But my posts were taken out of context and it kept adding on. I know I should've stopped, but at the moment I was pissed. This was not the first time this had happened to me and it only happens to me in Blocktopia. I keep my post neutral and short, it gets a response as if I shouted it, keeping the other person at gunpoint. It feels unfair, and I want to point out that it is not what I meant but it just keeps spiraling on and on and on and eventually people who shouldn't even post here join in. One of them being JubJubers, who I do not at all like.

Thymos, thank you. Even if you asked everyone, including me, to calm down you did step up. I was calm, my posts were neutral, but after two more comments where my posts were taken out of context I got pissed off and it became annoying as shit.

I don't like Prizyms either. There's a whole network of conflicts going on between me with JubJubers and Prizyms (not related, for as far as I know) so the -1 wasn't a surprise to me. I did truly feel that the application was good enough as it was though. Prizyms' post was just advice, and there shouldn't be an argument based on advice. Advice is something you take or leave, that's that.

iiDeathCookies is my girlfriend, so the +1 was expected. I didn't ask her to reference me, she said she did when I told her I was planning on making an application. You can't deny a reference. That's the same as saying: "No you can't tell others I am good, don't say anything!" It's nonsensical and you look like a daft prick.

In conclusion there's some things that pissed me off. JubJubers posting that I should listen to others. Malcovent rating my post disagree when the last contact that I've had with him was far from pleasant and Prizyms giving me advice that I said I didn't want to take.

I apologize that it turned out into all of this arguing and I never wanted it. Some of you think I am applying for this position just because Zel is staff, this is far from true. Rituals of Fire isn't my kind of gamemode, neither is AoD and I want Dusk of Discordia to be a game at first, and not something I am partially responsible for. I never expected that I'd get into BuildBox because normally I'd just fly around and chat with people. Inon taught me some things though, and I turned a circle into my Rituals of Fire map submission (Yes, this was proof towards Inon to show him that sky circles can be used in an original way even if they've become a cliche)

That's all, I've talked to Sploorky and I've set things straight.

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
You're putting some hard critics on Shinyshark here, guys. http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/sircomputer-operator.13644/ Shouldn't we be judging about what Shiny is actually like, not just talking about the application? Though, an application is part of it, and I'm not saying it should be ignored. And my application was short, so you're making me feel awful. And if a feud/argument/conflict is going on heavily involving Shiny - don't judge too heavily on that, as it can be hard to control. I'm not saying you shouldn't judge on that though.

And dudes - what was going on with users posting in staff apps? It seems to have upset Shiny. Don't ever do it again, since we don't want another going on.

(PS: Shiny, you should probably keep your likes and dislikes of users to yourself in a staff application like this, as it won't boost your application. Oh, and thanks for talking to an admin about it maturely. Good move.)

My final vote, by the way, is +1 for a trial. I believe Shiny can improve on past experiences, and get better. An application should not influence a decision fully; rather in-game experiences should be a factor too, of which I have seen mature of Shiny. Again, I'm not saying an application should be completely ignored.

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I don't like Prizyms either.
I don't have anything against you. Things seriously need to be sorted out if you dislike somebody who you will potentially be staffing with for quite some time should this application be accepted.

To the rest of BBPrem who haven't voted, please do.

• Agree
Reactions: Undefined User 7

tnm

Reaction score
Ok. First off, thanks for making the application longer; I won't say too much more on the subject but I do find it helps me to decide if I haven't seen huge amounts of a player ingame. Secondly, there has to be some issues sorted. I have no problem with you disliking someone, but as you could potentially be staffing with him there needs to be at least some willingness to work together. I've read through everything, and at this current moment in time I'm not really swayed either way. My vote will stand at 0.

Shinyshark

Reaction score
Ok. First off, thanks for making the application longer; I won't say too much more on the subject but I do find it helps me to decide if I haven't seen huge amounts of a player ingame. Secondly, there has to be some issues sorted. I have no problem with you disliking someone, but as you could potentially be staffing with him there needs to be at least some willingness to work together. I've read through everything, and at this current moment in time I'm not really swayed either way. My vote will stand at 0.
I'm willing to work with him, I'm just not his friend.

Reactions: Henry

Naterger

Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
I don't want to argue, but I just want to point out that ofcourse he's defending himself, it's pretty much human nature.
No one is attacking him though, there isnt a need for defense when constructive criticism is given. It takes maturity to take constructive criticism easily and effectively.
You're saying things that I haven't said. You're saying I don't listen and I'm not allowed to justify that statement because it's arguing. If I argue about me not arguing it would turn into a paradox. What do you expect me to do? Even when I said in a short and targeted way that I understood I get quoted and I receive critique.

But I'm just saying that. You're going to take what I say and twist it around again. I never said I was going to continue the argument. All I've said was "I'll talk about the arguing later today" and that was it. If you don't understand what it means, don't quote it to talk about it.
I have not "[said] things that [you] haven't said" I simply interpreted the events i thought were to about to unfold. I predicted that you would make a post that would more or less spark a more argumentative state, given your recent posts. So you could call it a preemptive strike against further arguing.

Furthermore, if i don't understand what it means i should quote it to talk about it, so i can get an idea of what YOU, a possible new addition to the staffing team, mean. This idea extends to the duty of staff, if i weren't to get a rule i should most certainly talk about it to get an idea as to what i am enforcing. This is so i can better learn how to function as staff
I realize I am argumentative
I need someone to help me contain myself before I say something stupid again.
This show's a lot about you, it takes a lot to admit your fault and that you need help, help that i believe greatly benefited you. After reading your most recent posts, i have decided to give you a +1 in hopes of a trial. As i said before i do like you and i do know you would be a great operator. I'd also like to add i do not believe an extended application was necessary, so i wasn't acting out of bias towards the short application. I was simply trying to give you advice as to how better fit the role of operator, in terms of my own opinion.

MikeTang

Lego Block Op
Reaction score
Green = Good | Black = Meh, Skip it/Read it | Red = Something to Think About
I'm currently tied at a 0
  • You have a history of staffing/being trusted with power on Blocktopia.
  • You are not online enough, or I'm not seeing it.
  • Arguing type?
  • I question your motives, this isn't only about fixing greifs and punishing the bad kiddies.
Edit: Since vati180 is getting confused, I removed the confusing part.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'm aware that I have no right to post here, and I apologize, but could I just ask,Mikey,(and to a slighter degree mostly, Jubjubers, to stop disliking posts in Shiny's favour? Not agreeing with others' opinions is right enough, but spiting someone who had the guts to apologize and pull a u-ie on the argument doesn't deserve it.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
I'm aware that I have no right to post here, and I apologize, but could I just ask Mikey,(and to a slighter degree, Jubjubers), to stop disliking posts in Shiny's favour? Not agreeing with others' opinions is right enough, but spiting someone who had the guts to apologize and pull a u-ie on the argument doesn't deserve it.
That's not what I'm disliking posts - I disliked chrisrocks post because I believed he jumped on a bandwagon and didn't give the best reason for his vote, and I gave a dislike to MikeTang because that was the dumbest thing I have ever seen. I didn't dislike Zels, Sparklys, or SirComputers posts because I believe were valid votes and with good information and input. (Also, I was very pleased in seeing shinys apology, it was a great move on his part.)

Edit: annd, don't pull me into this anymore - I've already explained what I think on this whole matter and nevertheless I have all the obligations in the world to rate whatever I want.

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
I feel this has expanded much farther then needs too. Considering all 12 staff have given their input, I think it's safe to say Nillbugwtw (final tag) will be able to make his decision when he sees this (since he is on break at the moment and I feel it would be more fitting for him to make the final call rather than Priz). Please, only if you are a staff member contributing to this application or changing your vote, then comment. This application has plenty of people's comments already who are not involved in the process.

Good luck anyways with the final decision.

SalientGorilla

The Brutal Create Dictator
Reaction score
I'm going with a +1. You're a mature player, you help players that ask for it and mainly know how to keep a calm air. Despite what has gone on in this application, I don't think it will change your staffing behaviour. I'd like to see you on a trial at least. Good luck!

I don't feel that a long application is needed; there is a term we use in the building trade. It's called 'BBB' (no point googling it, it isn't there ;)), I'm not going to tell you what it means though. Sometimes long applications are full of it. I prefer to look a the applying applicant in-game and see what they are like. I believe the application is there mainly to say why we should pick them and what they want/will do for the server. For example, SirComputers, application was short, but he is a good staff member.

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
Right, sorry, I've been mulling over this application quite a bit. On one hand, it's very apparent from your previous experience that you CAN staff. However, the argumentative nature that you've put forth in this thread is concerning, to say the least, and I'm not sure I want someone with an apparent hostility. I don't necessarily have an issue with a short application, but when it takes nearly a page of arguing just for you to expand your application a bit, that sends up red flags for me. I'm going to deny this application for now, you may reapply in 1 month+ when you feel you've resolved your issues with staff members you dislike - part of staffing on buildbox is working as a team, and it's difficult to do so when you dislike people. Closed.