References (Op+):
  • iiDeathCookies
  • SalientGorilla
Approx. time spent on BBB:
In total, about 150 hours

Previous staff experience:
  • SMP Trusted til Veteran
  • Solitude operator
Other notable contributions/feats/skills?
  1. Previous experience with managing a server
  2. Previous experience with communicating during troublesome situations
What do you think the role entails?
As a staff member you are there to make gameplay enjoyable for other players. Not only is it your job to keep any fights and worries out of the server, it is your job to make the server more enjoyable. Whenever someone has a problem, you should be there for that user. Whenever someone needs an opinion, you should be there for that user. They are your guests even if you are among them and in most cases equal to them. It is understandable that in any given case, whether friend or foe, you shouldn’t judge them based on that. You are a player and a staff member, you have to keep those two separated because if you do not you end up creating situations that are deemed unfair by large groups of people. This means that if you do not like a player, you do not have to talk to them unless they specifically need you. However, this also means that if you catch a player breaking rules, even if they are your greatest friends, you have to try and make them understand that it is not right to do so. The way in which you do this is different for everyone as no personality will be the same. The right approach is to keep your approach within the limit of acceptability. While some punishment may seem appropriate to you, it could be viewed as sincere by others.
Keeping up social bonds with players is important. Blocktopia is a small community with a playerbase of regulars. It’s not a come-and-go community where hundreds of players pass through per day. This means that you will spend more time with one individual. Every individual in the server would enjoy it more if they felt at ease in the server.
And lastly you are there to make sure the rules are maintained. They were written for a reason and while you may not agree with some of them, you are a guest and you will have to try to follow them. They have hosted a server on which you are welcome to play, but if you decide that the rules are not to your liking then they have the right to remove you.

Why do you want this position?
I’m not too active in Blocktopia at the moment and lately I have noticed that I don’t go on any of the other servers. I used to manage a server as a hobby, but it got too stressful due to various reasons. I went on buildbox from time to time and now I seem to like building again. I’ve already finished one building and I’ve started on a new one already. From time to time I see that a player asks an operator or higher up to look at a building. I usually come along with the operator because I also want to see the building or creation so that I can give advice, though most players prefer an actual staff member over a guest.

Additional/final notes:
I hope you can consider me.

It’s a shame that everyone had to butt in and make a fuss about it because it’s an application and not an open discussion.

Zelz

the cooliest
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Just to set things straight, this isn't me being biased, k everyone? k.
I legit think Shiny would be great at this. He's staffed before, brilliantly, and I'm sure he can do it again easily. He'll tell the truth, he's trusted, not to mention he has past experience. I'm going with a +1, easily because I really think he'd be good at this.

• Agree
Reactions: snowma

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Right, I have very mixed feelings about this application.

1) The application itself. It's clear that compared with your detailed and well thought-out JtE staff applications that this simply does not compare. You've made quite a weak application with one to two sentence long answers to sections. I'm not trying to demean you or anything, but Biblius put over 1500 words into a staff application at one point. I know for a fact that you're a man of great loquaciousness - why not show it here?
2) I really haven't seen you enough on the server - this is my fault, as I am not entirely the most active, but you don't seem to be helping out much either.
3) You don't seem to understand the role of Operator on this server. It is not merely a rank of 'dealing with grief and other rule breaking' - there are many other elements to being a good staff member, and simply dealing with issues and not much else will result in you getting bored very quickly.

Sadly I'm going to have to -1 this due to the very weak application. Perhaps extend it?

EDIT: I didn't even think it needed to be said - this does not reflect the current state of the application. The 'Optimistic' ratings are uncalled for.

Shinyshark

Professional innuendo creator/finder.
Reaction score

1) The application itself. It's clear that compared with your detailed and well thought-out JtE staff applications that this simply does not compare. You've made quite a weak application with one to two sentence long answers to sections. I'm not trying to demean you or anything, but Biblius put over 1500 words into a staff application at one point. I know for a fact that you're a man of great loquaciousness - why not show it here?
2) I really haven't seen you enough on the server - this is my fault, as I am not entirely the most active, but you don't seem to be helping out much either.
3) You don't seem to understand the role of Operator on this server. It is not merely a rank of 'dealing with grief and other rule breaking' - there are many other elements to being a good staff member, and simply dealing with issues and not much else will result in you getting bored very quickly.

Sadly I'm going to have to -1 this due to the very weak application. Perhaps extend it?
I don't see why I'd have to say more than I'd want to say. I don't think it's needed, this is what you need to know and if you want to know more you should've put it in the format.

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score

I don't see why I'd have to say more than I'd want to say. I don't think it's needed, this is what you need to know and if you want to know more you should've put it in the format.
It's not my format. Besides, I know that you could add a lot more in. Expand on the points you've made so far and add new ones! Don't just tell us what we need to know, tell us what you think we might want to know as well.

Shinyshark

Reaction score

It's not my format. Besides, I know that you could add a lot more in. Expand on the points you've made so far and add new ones! Don't just tell us what we need to know, tell us what you think we might want to know as well.
I did. There's no point in making a long application. Most of the votes aren't based on the application, but more on how you know me as a person. Whether you like me or whether you do not. Sure, Zel likes me, but she voted +1 because she's been there to see me manage my garry's mod server when I still did it. SalientGorilla referenced me because he thinks I'd deal with users in an efficient way.

And I know what an operator is, I've been an operator for a year and a half. I don't see why I'd have to define what it is just so you can see if it matches up with what you think it is.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
I did. There's no point in making a long application. Most of the votes aren't based on the application, but more on how you know me as a person. Whether you like me or whether you do not. Sure, Zel likes me, but she voted +1 because she's been there to see me manage my garry's mod server when I still did it. SalientGorilla referenced me because he thinks I'd deal with users in an efficient way.
Honestly, I think having a mediocre application is not acceptable regardless of how long you previously staffed before. Not everyone may know you as well as say Zel or Salient do, expounding within application is great for this. You cannot simply expect to nearly drift through application processes because you have served in the past. (You do not need a 1500 word application, but I agree this doesn't cut the cheese.)

And I know what an operator is, I've been an operator for a year and a half. I don't see why I'd have to define what it is just so you can see if it matches up with what you think it is.

Also - I don't think it is the best idea to give an attitude to the Controller of the server you're applying for a rank at. I'm pretty damn sure the Controller knows what an Operator should be doing on the server and what he wants to see from that rank. Simply awful attitude with those responses.

(Not staff on the server, but I feel this is more than needed to be said.)

Shinyshark

Reaction score
Honestly, I think having a mediocre application is not acceptable regardless of how long you previously staffed before. Not everyone may know you as well as say Zel or Salient do, expounding within application is great for this. You cannot simply expect to nearly drift through application processes because you have served in the past. (You do not need a 1500 word application, but I agree this doesn't cut the cheese.)

Also - I don't think it is the best idea to give an attitude to the Controller of the server you're applying for a rank at. I'm pretty damn sure the Controller knows what an Operator should be doing on the server and what he wants to see from that rank. Simply awful attitude with those responses.
There's no attitude in that post. I don't expect to float right through the process just because I was staff before I applied for this position. I don't see where you got that from.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score

There's no attitude in that post. I don't expect to float right through the process just because I was staff before I applied for this position. I don't see where you got that from.
I get it from the way you responded to Prizyms advice. It's almost like you did not care what he said, not the best idea when he has a strong decision. If you didn't intend to have any negative attitude here, then it definitely gives off that vibe. I'm not going to keep responding here so it doesn't turn into a complete shitstorm, but this just what I see from this.

Shinyshark

Reaction score

I get it from the way you responded to Prizyms advice. It's almost like you did not care what he said, not the best idea when he has a strong decision. If you didn't intend to have any negative attitude here, then it definitely gives off that vibe. I'm not going to keep responding here so it doesn't turn into a complete shitstorm, but this just what I see from this.
I don't understand why I'd have to post paragraphs long of text just to show that I'm interested. If you do it anywhere on blocktopia you get ignored because nobody reads it. I don't understand why you're getting hostile on my when I haven't done anything wrong. You're assuming something and based off of that you go out of your way to say that I am dumb and that I should not talk to someone like that when they have that position. The only thing I don't care about is the position someone has. I treat everyone as an equal regardless of rank. I did so back when I was an operator, I did so when I managed the server and I'd do so whether I got this rank or not.

I care about the rank and I'd very much like to help out. Personally I don't care who helps me, but to a lot of players they will not take your help unless you are staff. If I don't get the rank nothing major will change, I'll still come online to play and I will still look at peoples creations when they ask so. Sure, I wouldn't be able to help anyone with any staff related issues, but you've got enough staff to cover that.

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I don't understand why I'd have to post paragraphs long of text just to show that I'm interested. If you do it anywhere on blocktopia you get ignored because nobody reads it. I don't understand why you're getting hostile on my when I haven't done anything wrong. You're assuming something and based off of that you go out of your way to say that I am dumb and that I should not talk to someone like that when they have that position. The only thing I don't care about is the position someone has. I treat everyone as an equal regardless of rank. I did so back when I was an operator, I did so when I managed the server and I'd do so whether I got this rank or not.

I care about the rank and I'd very much like to help out. Personally I don't care who helps me, but to a lot of players they will not take your help unless you are staff. If I don't get the rank nothing major will change, I'll still come online to play and I will still look at peoples creations when they ask so. Sure, I wouldn't be able to help anyone with any staff related issues, but you've got enough staff to cover that.
The thing is, these two paragraphs here are actually longer than your application itself. This speaks wonders about your priorities - why waste time trying to prove a point when you could be fixing up your application? Even a player who isn't staff here felt the need to point it out - I'm going to request you extend your application once more. And trust me, I do read applications - it's not a case of 'nobody reads this so let's put no effort into it'.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score

I'm not trying to be hostile with you. shiny it's not mainly the application size in my opinion, it's the way you responded to Prizyms when he tried to say something about it, also how you said you know what an Operator is and shouldn't have to match it with his definition of Operator came off a bit rude too. I'm not trying to be an ass at all, I'm not doubting your abilities as an Operator or staff member, just the way this situation was treated came off very sketchy to me and seemingly others as well.

Shinyshark

Reaction score

The thing is, these two paragraphs here are actually longer than your application itself. This speaks wonders about your priorities - why waste time trying to prove a point when you could be fixing up your application? Even a player who isn't staff here felt the need to point it out - I'm going to request you extend your application once more. And trust me, I do read applications - it's not a case of 'nobody reads this so let's put no effort into it'.
Well I tried to keep the other answers short, but apparently I needed two paragraphs to prove a point. I don't think my applications needs fixing up. It's not broken.

Thymos

Thy Friendly Moose
Reaction score
OKAY, let's have everyone calm down. Rank application threads are supposed to be formal, and what I see above is completely informal. I get that everyone has their own opinions about everything, but shiny made this thread for the purpose of applying for a rank, and we should treat it as such - with the respect it deserves. Likewise, shiny, we need to respect other people's opinions. If someone requests that you should fix anything in order to get the rank that you desire, then by all means you should do it, especially if you really would like to have this rank. Now then, assuming this isn't over before it even began, let's resume the application process.

Unfortunately, I rarely see you online. This may be because of a difference of timezones or my busy schedule, but in either case, I have not seen enough of you to make a good decision. For this, I'll go with a 0, and I will keep an eye on you so that I can eventually make an educated vote.

Shinyshark

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I rarely see you online. This may be because of a difference of timezones or my busy schedule, but in either case, I have not seen enough of you to make a good decision. For this, I'll go with a 0, and I will keep an eye on you so that I can eventually make an educated vote.
Thank you, I'll try to be on more.

• Optimistic
Reactions: paceboys

tnm

Reaction score
Despite your previous staffing experience, I'll have to go with a -1. Sure, your experience helps, but the application just doesn't cut it for me. It seems like you've spent little time your application; this to me says you're applying for a personal benefit rather than to help out with the server. Your argumentative side also worry's me a little- you've written more trying to argue your point rather than spending time making sure your app is as good as it can be. I also haven't seen you on the server huge amounts; this being said your ontime is decent but could be improved. If you could add more to the application and try to get on the server more I'll reconsider my vote.
See above.

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
A significant improvement over your last application with a lot more detail - however, it really does worry me that it took the opinions of two staff and two players in order to get you to edit your application. One quote in particular which stands out is this:
I’ve updated my application, even though I still think it was not needed. Everything I’ve said I’ve explained in greater detail. It’s a shame that everyone had to butt in and make a fuss about it because it’s an application and not an open discussion.
Of course it was needed! This application is a remarkably better attempt over the last one. Your tendency to argue as seen in this thread still worries me - I'm afraid to say my vote still stands. Sometimes it's for the better that one would have to swallow their pride, and in this case you've done so but you didn't go down without trying to explain why you wouldn't.

• Agree
Reactions: Undefined User 7

Shinyshark

Reaction score
A significant improvement over your last application with a lot more detail - however, it really does worry me that it took the opinions of two staff and two players in order to get you to edit your application. One quote in particular which stands out is this:
I’ve updated my application, even though I still think it was not needed. Everything I’ve said I’ve explained in greater detail. It’s a shame that everyone had to butt in and make a fuss about it because it’s an application and not an open discussion.
Of course it was needed! This application is a remarkably better attempt over the last one. Your tendency to argue as seen in this thread still worries me - I'm afraid to say my vote still stands. Sometimes it's for the better that one would have to swallow their pride, and in this case you've done so but you didn't go down without trying to explain why you wouldn't.
I have removed my opinion.

Natsu

The Flaming Dragon Op
Reaction score
I'll have to -1 this for a few reasons. Although you updated your application, I feel that your maturity is in question here. There have been many times when I saw examples of your immaturity. I also think that your argumentative personality is a major problem for you to get Operator. You're not very active on that note, something that can be fixed easily. Last and the most important point, in my opinion, is why you want to get Operator. Your reasons for wanting a staff rank worry me. My decision will stay as a -1.

• Agree
Reactions: Undefined User 7

Naterger

Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
As much as i like you and know you'd do a great job as operator, how far you went just to argue a point is a very very big negative in my opinion. There are many times where you just need to drop it, regardless of the situation.. as i said i know you'd do a great job staffing which is why for now i'll be going with a 0 in order to give my self time to make a more appropriate vote.

Collosal

Reaction score
I'll be going with a 0. Due to the fact that I almost never see you on, and when I do, I don't see you doing much to help the players. As others have said, I'm also concerned with why you want this position. It isn't just about cleaning up grief , reviewing players builds, and making sure they follow the rules. Though, that is an important part you need to be able to maintain a peaceful feeling on the server and offer things like comic relief if something serious, like a ban, has taken place. So, for now I will be sticking with my 0.

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
I seem to hardly ever see you, even though I'm in GMT+0 timezone, so I can't say much, I'm afraid, though you've been mature and friendly when I've been on. In contrast to this, I'm concerned about the application itself being complained about, and you took four users to change it. Surely 2 staff is a lot to be stubborn for, nevermind an added 2 users? And, it seems, you've not been so mature as it seems to me. Therefore, 0 for now, will make final tomorrow.

Shinyshark

Reaction score
I'll be going with a 0. Due to the fact that I almost never see you on, and when I do, I don't see you doing much to help the players. As others have said, I'm also concerned with why you want this position. It isn't just about cleaning up grief , reviewing players builds, and making sure they follow the rules. Though, that is an important part you need to be able to maintain a peaceful feeling on the server and offer things like comic relief if something serious, like a ban, has taken place. So, for now I will be sticking with my 0.
[[ As a staff member you are there to make gameplay enjoyable for other players. Not only is it your job to keep any fights and worries out of the server, it is your job to make the server more enjoyable. Whenever someone has a problem, you should be there for that user. Whenever someone needs an opinion, you should be there for that user. They are your guests even if you are among them and in most cases equal to them. It is understandable that in any given case, whether friend or foe, you <-- shouldn’t judge them based on that. You are a player and a staff member, you have to keep those two separated because if you do not you end up creating situations that are deemed unfair by large groups of people. This means that if you do not like a player, you do not have to talk to them unless they specifically need you. However, this also means that if you catch a player breaking rules, even if they are your greatest friends, you have to try and make them understand that it is not right to do so. The way in which you do this is different for everyone as no personality will be the same. The right approach is to keep your approach within the limit of acceptability. While some punishment may seem appropriate to you, it could be viewed as sincere by others.
Keeping up social bonds with players is important. Blocktopia is a small community with a playerbase of regulars. It’s not a come-and-go community where hundreds of players pass through per day. This means that you will spend more time with one individual. Every individual in the server would enjoy it more if they felt at ease in the server. ]]
And lastly you are there to make sure the rules are maintained. They were written for a reason and while you may not agree with some of them, you are a guest and you will have to try to follow them. They have hosted a server on which you are welcome to play, but if you decide that the rules are not to your liking then they have the right to remove you.
I'm not trying to start another argument here, but how is what you said any different from what I wrote? Everything in between the [[]] was based on players. I only spent a small segment of text dedicated to "You should fix grief." Most of it is based on being there for users, no matter the situation.

Reactions: Zelz