[serious] Why I think the dislike rating needs to be removed

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
I agree with Pikmon, I do feel the rating shouldn't be removed just because a minority of the community decided to abuse it. If someone abuses it, then the victim should try to contact a higher staff member, rather than fire back. It's pretty obvious we've come to a standstill here, and the dislike rating isn't going to be removed anytime soon. Now, rather than letting this go on any further, I suggest we just close this thread and move on with our lives.

-Natsu
In my opinion it isn't just about the abuse here. It's also about how a dislike can cause hate between people, and make others sad. And just moving on won't help anything.

Reactions: std1997
W

Wimali

I agree with Pikmon, I do feel the rating shouldn't be removed just because a minority of the community decided to abuse it. If someone abuses it, then the victim should try to contact a higher staff member, rather than fire back. It's pretty obvious we've come to a standstill here, and the dislike rating isn't going to be removed anytime soon. Now, rather than letting this go on any further, I suggest we just close this thread and move on with our lives.

-Natsu
In my opinion it isn't just about the abuse here. It's also about how a dislike can cause hate between people, and make others sad. And just moving on won't help anything.
I completely agree with Notty. Closing this thread would be one of the worst things to do. It's just running away from the problem, really.

I feel like a simple public announcement wouldn't solve this problem at all either- Sure, people would stop abusing the system, but after a few months things would be exactly the same again. It's happened before.

EDIT: Also, this, this, this and especially this might be an interesting read. I honestly don't understand why there's even a long argument about this: Why in the world would you want to keep the dislike button? Yeah, I admit it's useful sometimes. But even then, it only causes hate, hate and more hate. Especially in a smaller community!

EDIT2: And now I see people who were in favor of the dislike button being removed, disliking posts in this very thread- Just because they disagree with someone's opinion. I don't even understand. Alright then, be hateful. I give up. I guess it was pointless to bring this up anyway. The fact that over three people who agreed on removing the dislike button disliked a post in this thread with almost no reason at all really disappoints me. I guess removing the dislike button won't help anyway.

Natsu

The Flaming Dragon Op
Reaction score
Dislike rating will not be removed. The people abusing it can go and really look at their lives and think, "the hell am I doing?". Same for the people feeling hurt by being disliked. If someone can't speak to you about their issues, then their issues aren't worth your time. Move on from being disliked.

This pretty much sums up everything about what you think at the moment. It was on the first page. Like in Sploorky's post, get over being disliked. I understand that if you're emotional you tend to take it to heart. However, I've been through this same thing, and I found out just moving on is the best way.

Edit: Yes, exactly, this is so old.

std1997

Stitch
Donor
Reaction score
I agree with bram, Moving on from this thread is a terrible idea and acting like this is just the "minority" is just.. silly to say the least. Most threads require weeks to gather as many ratings/posts as this thread has received in under 24 hours so I'd say that this thread has proven that people dislike the dislike button and now moving back a page to willchill's post.. I appreciate your post cause it has given me a reason on why the dislike button is to be used but I don't think just cause people like to express themselves is a good enough reason to justify the amount of anger, sadness and upsetness that has been caused by the dislike button so I'd say unless there's a reason to justify the amount of rage that has been caused by the dislike button can be justified than there is no reason to have it.

More news at 1

• Agree
Reactions: CloudBryan9

Willchill

Blocktopia's Official Octopus
Reaction score
I agree with bram, Moving on from this thread is a terrible idea and acting like this is just the "minority" is just.. silly to say the least. Most threads require weeks to gather as many ratings/posts as this thread has received in under 24 hours so I'd say that this thread has proven that people dislike the dislike button and now moving back a page to willchill's post.. I appreciate your post cause it has given me a reason on why the dislike button is to be used but I don't think just cause people like to express themselves is a good enough reason to justify the amount of anger, sadness and upsetness that has been caused by the dislike button so I'd say unless there's a reason to justify the amount of rage that has been caused by the dislike button can be justified than there is no reason to have it.

More news at 1

"I don't think just cause people like to express themselves is a good enough reason to justify the amount of anger, sadness and upsetness that has been caused by the dislike button"
Ever heard the phrase "guns don't kill poeple, people do"? I feel as if this applies perfectly to this situation.​
Natsu and many other people have been saying this over and over. The dislike button isn't causing this because it's there. This drama has been caused by a lack of maturity in a number of community members.​

• Thank You
Reactions: std1997 and Natsu

std1997

Stitch
Donor
Reaction score
Dislike rating will not be removed. The people abusing it can go and really look at their lives and think, "the hell am I doing?". Same for the people feeling hurt by being disliked. If someone can't speak to you about their issues, then their issues aren't worth your time. Move on from being disliked.

This pretty much sums up everything about what you think at the moment. It was on the first page. Like in Sploorky's post, get over being disliked. I understand that if you're emotional you tend to take it to heart. However, I've been through this same thing, and I found out just moving on is the best way.

It is old cause you said the exact same thing you've said before so thanks for contributing the same thing so yes it IS old.

EDIT: Willchill, We have now discovered what the problem is but how do we cure this problem with anything short of all-out removal of the dislike button? We can't just force people to act like adults.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
To anyone that has said that people shouldn't take the dislike rating, or any negative rating, to heart and to move on with their life because this is the internet -- I admire your optimism, but you should understand that you're dealing with many different people within in this community that have different levels of self-esteem. As I stated before, people react in different ways... so don't be thinking that "moving on" will simply make things better for them. These people may keep grudges or in turn, feel bad about themselves even for a simple dislike on a post.

I, for one, consider myself to be a confident guy and ratings, good or bad, don't really affect me at all unless it's constructive criticism to make my work better. I approached this thread more along the lines of thinking that this community should protect the sensitive people on here that may take things to heart considerably. And if you disagree with doing that, that's fine... that's you.

Natsu

The Flaming Dragon Op
Reaction score

It is old cause you said the exact same thing you've said before so thanks for contributing the same thing so yes it IS old.

EDIT: Willchill, We have now discovered what the problem is but how do we cure this problem with anything short of all-out removal of the dislike button? We can't just force people to act like adults.
You've been going on about the same thing the whole time too, but okay. Maybe I repeat the same thing twice because it's not getting through. Now, I do believe I've already thrown myself too deep into this, but yeah. Perhaps it really should be closed because this turns into a full-scale shitstorm. (I can see it coming.)

Edit: If they can't act like adults std, then we simply get rid of them. Same thing ingame, correct? Immature players get banned, same thing on the forums. (Except less bans, duh.)

std1997

Stitch
Donor
Reaction score

You've been going on about the same thing the whole time too, but okay. Maybe I repeat the same thing twice because it's not getting through. Now, I do believe I've already thrown myself too deep into this, but yeah. Perhaps it really should be closed because this turns into a full-scale shitstorm. (I can see it coming.)
It's called a discussion mate, you discuss the same thing over and over while your post was practically the EXACT
same thing, I'm sorry if you feel like i'm somehow "targeting" you and attempting to start a fight with you but I don't feel like your almost pretty much double post was any help whatsoever and I can understand that you felt your point was refuted and ignored but that doesn't mean you need to re-post the exact same thing and but as we're saying the exact same thing over and over, I'll do the same. As I've said, closing this thread is not going to help anything outside of this EXACT same problem coming back in 2-3 weeks.

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
Ever heard the phrase "guns don't kill poeple, people do"? I feel as if this applies perfectly to this situation.

Natsu and many other people have been saying this over and over. The dislike button isn't causing this because it's there. This drama has been caused by a lack of maturity in a number of community members.
I completely agree with this. It's the people that are causing the problem. And you give a good example. Its not the guns that kill people, its the people. But having a dislike button is like saying "Hey, here have a gun. But use it wisely!"

If people can abuse/misuse something they will.
-Some time ago by some admin here about glitches/flaws in an SMP.

It's better to take the gun[dislike button] away then to tell them to use it wisely. Because they won't.

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
EDIT2: And now I see people who were in favor of the dislike button being removed, disliking posts in this very thread- Just because they disagree with someone's opinion. I don't even understand. Alright then, be hateful. I give up. I guess it was pointless to bring this up anyway. The fact that over three people who agreed on removing the dislike button disliked a post in this thread with almost no reason at all really disappoints me. I guess removing the dislike button won't help anyway.

I am not adding any point here, but just wanted to quote that part because it made me laugh out loud.

Thank you for that, I didn't even notice it. For me, personally, that seals the discussion.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
EDIT: Also, this, this, this and especially this might be an interesting read. I honestly don't understand why there's even a long argument about this: Why in the world would you want to keep the dislike button? Yeah, I admit it's useful sometimes. But even then, it only causes hate, hate and more hate. Especially in a smaller community!
I've read a couple of the links that Bram posted up top and I think this blog had the best example:

http://www.danoah.com/2010/12/why-facebook-should-never-add-dislike.html

Immediately, classmates who are cheering for his opponent rally and spread the word for everybody to go hit dislike on the kid’s post. The negative responses start stacking up high and deep. The kid sees how many people “dislike” him and he gives up. It ruins whatever he thought made him good enough to run at all. He officially feels worthless. That’s one example of thousands of scenarios that could play out.
But viciousness is only the first half of the equation.

The second half is carelessness. People would dislike things without ever thinking how it might affect those they are thumbs-downing. People would dislike things because they simply disagree, not having any idea how much their one small choice might hurt another or what ramifications such a thoughtless little click might have.

It doesn’t really matter what a person posts. A single thumbs down could suck any happiness right out of it. A single thumbs down could end something incredible that just might have happened in somebody’s life had encouragement ensued instead of negativity. A single thumbs down could keep some of the greatest accomplishments from ever taking place. And a lot of thumbs down… could sometimes destroy a person.
I don't know if I could have worded it as well as the blogger has done, but I'd have to agree with what he said.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Here's the problem with "running away from the problem"

Isn't the problem people getting upset over the dislike rating? So, by removing it, you're removing the thing that causes the issue, right? But by doing that, you only make the immature (for the most part) happy, but ticking off what makes this community good (for the most part). If we keep giving into their immaturity to "solve" issues, then something is very very wrong. If I want to eliminate crime, I can make all crime legal, then it removes the issue, correct? It ticks off all the people who are upstanding citizens, while making all the criminals happy. The reasons here make no sense for why we should get rid of it because the immaturity of this community.

• Thank You
Reactions: Fruit

Jubjubers

Best BuildBox Guy 2011 - 2013
Reaction score
Website
www.lingscars.com
I dislike your content and as such wish to say so without having to type out a long reply. The click of a button is much easier than rattling out a long-winded response and sparking an argument. If I dislike something, I will use the button designed to show my views on it.
I find the fact that you flip your shit over a click of a button both childish and hilarious.
Feel free to dislike my post if you dislike what I've said. It's just a button, darling.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
It would be interesting with a poll, wether to remove the dislike rating or not. Yes, I know blocktopia is not a democracy, but I still think it would be interesting to see what the mayority wants.

Naoh

Scott Pilgrim
Reaction score
Whilst your post, Bram13 , is very well argued and layed out (respect for that), I personally will stay with the opinion I had on this from the beginning. For me, this quote by Mikey sums it up well (and by gosh, I certainly don't like some of the things he posts ;) )

It's honestly a deep let down for me to come here and see the community grow into something that cannot handle a simple dislike rating.
In the last thread about this, I added the following:
If your post is rated 'Dislike' it says nothing about YOU, but much more about the person that rated, as it reflects THEIR position and opinion.
When I - personally - see a post being rated dislike, I don't form an opinion on the person that posted, I much rather get a certain picture of the people that used the rating.

So from my perspective I still don't see a single good reason to remove it, but since it's only a simple click to do so, we have to wait for the overall result of this ;)
Bram you are VERY well stated with this thread, and I agree with you on most points, GmK has (once again) blown my mind with his simple and super sense-making statements! In other words I concur with GmK
EDIT: LOL REALLY? In the 3 seconds it took me to write this, the thread blew up and the problem was fixed o.o

F

Fjm12

Mkay, let's see.... there is so much talk of "teaching" people how to be more mature about these things (aka the dislike button) and helping them to realize what the hell it's there for. Yes, there are people who use it correctly but you can't change the fact that there is always going to be assholes out there who misuse it no matter how hard you try to teach them or help them to be mature.
This is the internet folks, the people who couldn't care less aren't going to change just because someone who could be on the other side of the world that uses some random profile pic decides to put on a "holier than thou" attitude when in reality, they probably have (and probably in the future) are going to misuse the ratings system in one way or another. If it causes this much trouble in the community, remove the damn thing. Again, if people are really unhappy with a certain post, it's important that they actually express the reason why rather than just using tbe dislike button like a "to hell with that" gun. And as Hockeyfan1852 mentioned before, it can and most likely will chain. If you don't like a damn post, tell the person why on the thread or in a pm.