Kami's Realm - Survival Multiplayer

Lux

The Weeb
Donor
Reaction score
One thing I'm curious about.

Is it allowed to build crazy redstone contraptions? That is not pvp related?

Like Chest sorting system, automated farms, etc etc?

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
One thing I'm curious about.

Is it allowed to build crazy redstone contraptions? That is not pvp related?

Like Chest sorting system, automated farms, etc etc?
The general answer to "crazy redstone" is no because it strains server performance in weird ways, though you don't need crazy redstone to somewhat automate things like farms, and that is generally allowed. I believe we are moving to a new server, though, so performance may not be an issue anymore. So keep your eyes out for the smp rules when they come, they may change it.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Fire hides part of screen from your view - so it makes harder to navigate.
But on other hand fire is useful for getting baked meat instantly from animals...
It is still possible to see around fire when you are ignited.
While fire can kill and has the same DPS as poison 1, fire typically lasts from 0-20 seconds, where poison generally lasts 40-90 seconds.
Also, you can extinguish fire by jumping into water, shorten fire duration with fire protection armor, and become altogether immune to fire with fire resistance potion, while only spiders and undead are ever immune to poison and to be rid of it, you have to have a bucket of milk on you (which I rarely see people do, since milk wipes all potion effects).

Keep fire, don't keep poison.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Notme

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
paceboys Fairly sure that potions have a steep drop-off dependent on range? Just using a splash will almost always cut off the time/potency of a potion. This makes speed and poison potions (which have very short timers) fairly difficult to get extended use out of.

Something to include may be a 'milk' potion. Regular milk is all well and good, but rarely practical for combat. If a fairly difficult to obtain milk potion was included it might balance out the potions, especially the longer ones. If you can get close, you could even hit both players at once, balancing out the fight completely.

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
paceboys Fairly sure that potions have a steep drop-off dependent on range? Just using a splash will almost always cut off the time/potency of a potion. This makes speed and poison potions (which have very short timers) fairly difficult to get extended use out of.

Something to include may be a 'milk' potion. Regular milk is all well and good, but rarely practical for combat. If a fairly difficult to obtain milk potion was included it might balance out the potions, especially the longer ones. If you can get close, you could even hit both players at once, balancing out the fight completely.
yo jivvi, not shooting at you for this, just talking in general so don't take this as i hate you and all that you stand for

generally for splash poisons though, you only need like 20seconds to dribble them down low enough and then a few hits and they're gone
the regular duration of an extended poison I is about 1:30 so you only need to graze a target to get your money's worth

as for a milk potion, that's just a milk bucket, i dont get what you're trying to get at (like a nullification splash potion?)
i don't think that's really balance still, that's still who's better equipped and doesn't really allow for an under-equipped by more skilled player to even win

let's say player 1 has 4 splash nullification potions in their hotbar and a sharpness 4 sword and some iron armour, whereas player b is clad in protection I diamond armour
player b can chug his setup (swiftness, strength, regen, whatever he has) whereas player 1 might have just 1 set of those potions
player a splashes a nullification potion and accidentally hits both of them, or we could go with the other side of the coin and say it only hits player b
player b
can switch to a knockback sword (which most players usually carry anyways) bat him away and chug a second set of potions or even tank sword hits and just chug potions
player a really has no way of winning against player b due to an extensive stock despite player b being a better player and is forced to retreat and grind his own set of armour and potions, adding another player to the "top tier" list of players

(player a = player 1, player b = player 2, i just started typing and forgot whether i used letters or numbers, woops)

this just leads to power creep where balance is based upon the top tier of gear and how to deal with the enchanted diamond/potion carrying players and it just makes it so the bottom tier of players has a taller mountain to climb up before they can reach the same point

you see it time and time again in popular MMOs and RPGs
path of exile, powercreep towards low life and all the things that add to that (LL windripper builds, adding CoE, making ambusher crafting easy af). it's still a hella fun game, but those builds are just so incredibly strong that nothing can rival them in dueling and thus the only thing to do is to get on that level if you want to even contest against those builds

guild wars 2 saw the introduction of ascended and legendary items getting higher stat bonuses. this went from legendaries having the same amount of damage as exotics, to legendaries having a pinch more damage, but in a mainly PvE game that makes a world of difference so ANet (developer) has to add substantial amounts of content to introduce them in all aspects of the game (WvW, PvP, PvE) so everyone can get it BUT the gear grind for ascended materials and legendaries takes so long that it makes it nearly impossible for a casual/regular player to achieve that level. the first legendary in guild wars 2 was made an entire month after the game released, and that was through a guild funneling resources to 1 person and player non-stop since release. introducing that gear into a competitive setting like pvp meant that regular players who did not have access to that gear were at a severe disadvantage

now obviously minecraft isn't as big of a climb as that, but a lot of players just can't put the time into the game so gearing isn't as easy and thus want a balanced pvp environment where they can all be on level ground and give the players at the bottom a good stepping stone so that they can achieve the same level or at least have a chance with the gear they're at

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Jivvi

ShadeSlayer98

Reaction score
How about we just fight with no armor and weapons in a box. That's the way the new smp is heading with all this "balance pvp."

I don't understand why we are handicapping the player who actually worked hard getting good gear. Lets just reward the lazy guy, why not right? It's all in the name of fairness. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get full iron right? Another 20 or so minutes to get enchant table then bam second best gear in game. Most barley above average people in pvp can beat people in diamond. Minecraft pvp isn't in it's self "fair" by all means but, it rewards those who but time into game and getting their stuff. It's the same way you set up a basketball torment. The number one seed is getting reward by playing the worst seed right off the bat because they worked hard earning first place. It's no longer a "Survival" game anymore, it turning into AoD with no kits. I'm all for pvp but just nerfing it this much is honesty ridiculous.

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
How about we just fight with no armor and weapons in a box. That's the way the new smp is heading with all this "balance pvp."

I don't understand why we are handicapping the player who actually worked hard getting good gear. Lets just reward the lazy guy, why not right? It's all in the name of fairness. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get full iron right? Another 20 or so minutes to get enchant table then bam second best gear in game. Most barley above average people in pvp can beat people in diamond. Minecraft pvp isn't in it's self "fair" by all means but, it rewards those who but time into game and getting their stuff. It's the same way you set up a basketball torment. The number one seed is getting reward by playing the worst seed right off the bat because they worked hard earning first place. It's no longer a "Survival" game anymore, it turning into AoD with no kits. I'm all for pvp but just nerfing it this much is honesty ridiculous.
idk how much of this thread you're following but we're just suggesting to remove enchantments and potions
you still need to grind out and mine diamonds

the power spike of enchantments and potions is like comparing a large hill you push derby cars down to mt.everest

minecraft pvp is not fair, you are correct, so why are you making it seem like a bad thing to make it so? it's not rewarding laziness, it's rewarding people who wish to actually do the pvp aspect, not the buildup up until then, causing it to be a skill matchup instead of who isn't at school and instead mining diamonds and attending to grinders

the basketball comparison is literally against your own argument because the number 1 seed is rewarded by being better than the bottom team
if you were comparing the basketball tournament to who has more time spent to gearing, it would be comparing a wheelchair basketball team playing against robocop, batman, the incredible hulk, the wonder twins, and a dragon all in diamond armour with bionic arms

• Winner
Reactions: BrickWolf

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
I loooooooove strawman arguments
It's no longer a "Survival" game anymore, it turning into AoD with no kits.
It's turning into skill based PVP by removing 1 or 2 unbalanced mechanics to make pvp truly about what it should be geared towards: skill. There's still the effort of collecting iron and diamonds (20 minutes sounds exceptional - it would take me a couple hours for a full set of iron gear)

I'm all for pvp
nah u aint your way is the real lazy way out

ShadeSlayer98

Reaction score
idk how much of this thread you're following but we're just suggesting to remove enchantments and potions
you still need to grind out and mine diamonds

the power spike of enchantments and potions is like comparing a large hill you push derby cars down to mt.everest

minecraft pvp is not fair, you are correct, so why are you making it seem like a bad thing to make it so? it's not rewarding laziness, it's rewarding people who wish to actually do the pvp aspect, not the buildup up until then, causing it to be a skill matchup instead of who isn't at school and instead mining diamonds and attending to grinders

the basketball comparison is literally against your own argument because the number 1 seed is rewarded by being better than the bottom team
if you were comparing the basketball tournament to who has more time spent to gearing, it would be comparing a wheelchair basketball team playing against robocop, batman, the incredible hulk, the wonder twins, and a dragon all in diamond armour with bionic arms
The enchants and potions can turn the tide in a clan war that has larger numbers. The balancing takes away the time that's suppose to be put into a survival game. I understand the smp is going more pvp based but it has to have grinding into it right? Now what about the people who aren't very good at pvp? They use the enchants and potions to protect themselves from other but because of the enchants being lower they can't fend for themselves. I just see this harming others more then it is helping.
nah u aint your way is the real lazy way out
I don't get what's lazy about working hard for the gear but ok. ;-;
Edit; I don't think the Wonder twins would be that hard to beat. xP

Last edited:

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
The enchants and potions can turn the tide in a clan war that has larger numbers. The balancing takes away the time that's suppose to be put into a survival game. I understand the smp is going more pvp based but it has to have grinding into it right? Now what about the people who aren't very good at pvp? They use the enchants and potions to protect themselves from other but because of the enchants being lower they can't fend for themselves. I just see this harming others more then it is helping.

It's lazy too look at all the work put into discovering the problem with enchantments and say "Oh well you just want to remove all of the hardwork don't you thanks so much"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People that aren't good at PVP will have significant ways to completely avoid having to fight others AND they will have significant ways to contribute to the "war effort" even if they cannot fight. This argument is tired because we could guess off of nearly every if not every past PVP server that the rules will strictly forbid breaking blocks that you did not place (stay inside your clan walls and you'll be completely fine [by the way "clan" suggests very large - see: Dagon] and excessive camping or raiding (the latter two are confirmed).

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score

dont take any of this personally, just replying with my view on things

much like most skill based games, 1 good player can usually take out at least 3 average players with some hard work and good awareness
obviously this isn't too possible in minecraft, but some things that /are/ in place for this to happen
1) 20tick servers only allows for 1 damage calculation to happen per tick, so if 3 people attack during the same tick, it only counts as 1 hit
2) the single player versus 3 players however can hit all 3 players within the same tick (if they're close enough) and technically have a three times damage output against their group of people, so even if he does in fact die, he can easily take out at least 3/4 of all 3 of their hp

it does have grinding in the server, just to a lesser degree
mining diamonds is still a fairly long task for regular players, and most people who don't have too much time to invest will probably get a full set after a week and a bit

in terms of enchantments and potions used by less experienced pvp players, should you refer the person who is better at the game or reward the person who has more time? i could ask 6 of my friends to log onto the server and just strip mine for entire days to gear up everyone and grind enchantments and after that since a few of them are also decent pvp'ers then they'll most likely reign over the server for a good while
if anyone wanted to even contest them they would have to put in an equal amount of time as the 6 people combined to even stand remotely close which could take a few weeks to grind out 150 levels (if you're lucky and get what you want) and full diamond gear, potions, and op-ples opposed to just full diamond gear

Last edited:

ShadeSlayer98

Reaction score
in terms of enchantments and potions used by less experienced pvp players, should you refer the person who is better at the game or reward the person who has more time? i could ask 6 of my friends to log onto the server and just strip mine for entire days to gear up everyone and grind enchantments and after that since a few of them are also decent pvp'ers then they'll most likely reign over the server for a good while
if anyone wanted to even contest them they would have to put in an equal amount of time as the 6 people combined to even stand remotely close which could take a few weeks to grind out 150 levels and full diamond gear, potions, and op-ples opposed to just full diamond gear
Ooo Good point. I see what you're saying and it's all reasonably. Instead of being against fully now I'm only half against it the changes.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Fun fact:
Horses will make pvp harder for the rider unless they have a very fast horse, in which they'll be lucky if they hit anyone.
I say this because first of all, Minecraft has downhill advantage, where basically, you can hit people with out them being able to hit back because they are above you, and the second is that if you are riding a horse, you can take twice as many hits per tick as someone on foot.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
You don't have spend 1500 levels to get best armor:
Enchanting
  • Enchanting will now cost 1 to 3 levels, but you still need the same minimum total levels
    • For example, an enchantment may only become available for enchanting after reaching 13 levels of experience, but will only cost 2 XP levels and 2 of lapis lazuli
  • Additionally, there is now a material cost - enchanting also costs 1 to 3 pieces of lapis lazuli now (seen above)
  • The actual enchantment calculation is the same
  • One of the enchantments will be displayed in the tooltip
  • The enchantments you would get on a tool will not change until you enchant something - this enchantment seed is stored per player
  • Leveling up now takes longer
  • Level V enchantments can now appear on an item without the use of an anvil
  • Looting now gives an extra 1% chance of getting rare loot per level
Anvil repairing
  • Costs reduced to balance out with the new enchanting system
  • Renaming items will now only cost 1 level
  • Repairing cost now increases exponentially (1, 2, 4, 8, etc.)
  • Repairing costs can no longer be kept down by renaming items
Enchants cost only 1 - 3 levels (and 1 - 3 lapis) - only using books on armor (or repairing it) costs more.
Getting there costs 30 levels, if you want to get strongest enchants.

Last edited:

Catcocomics

Reaction score
You know, maybe we should at least try the new 1.8 enchanting system (at least for a while) before we really start nerfing every little thing.
Like, yeah, notch apples and potions are pretty much the same as they've been, but you have less than half the previous grinding to get the same sort of enchantments now.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Notme

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I could porbably make it (depends if you over load it with 4-block jumps and other cheap crap), but a lot of people have less powerful computers or simply aren't good at parkour.
And besides that, I'm playing Kami's Realm for SMP, not some Parkour course.
This is why we have A&T.

aperson155

The ape
Reaction score
I could porbably make it (depends if you over load it with 4-block jumps and other cheap crap), but a lot of people have less powerful computers or simply aren't good at parkour.
This is why we have A&T.
Holy Fuck.

_ChoasLego_

Rabbit
Donor
Reaction score
This is why we have A&T.