EscapeRemastered Mafia: Economy of Madness [Day 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
That's my point, I may be mistaken but if I remember correctly last game mafia got tons of coins from townies.

Considering they have a night to kill/steal (assuming the features are the same/similar to last game) unless they got unlucky tonight they'd have an advantage for every auction and we'd be none the wiser who had shit tons of money.

So with that in mind, assuming Tim has done a good job of balancing, it's reasonable to assume the amount of money mafia gain will be less than last game/something similar so they don't end up with 5x every other player.
Yeah both Scum teams stole coins from people, but notably that also had the rule that if you went to 0 coins you died which is not the case here. (Some scum began with a lot of coins at once, others had very few)

So it's reasonable to assume that the mafiakill in this game does not have to 100% steal coins, and it causes death. It COULD also be linked to an ability to steal coins from the dead, or they have a separate ability to take coins from the living...

But the point here is that coin loss and death are separate in this version, unlike the original.

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
(Also there's a note in the OP that comparing this to the original game won't get us far, but the above point I made is a key difference we already can identify)

• Agree
Reactions: Aqua

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
(assuming the features are the same/similar to last game)
in case you missed it:
This setup is quite different from the original, but I hope keeps to the spirit of Alisha's vision.
You are free to speculate as much as you please, but be warned that trying to compare this to the original game is unlikely to get you far.
but also

So with that in mind, assuming Tim has done a good job of balancing, it's reasonable to assume the amount of money mafia gain will be less than last game/something similar so they don't end up with 5x every other player.
So it's reasonable to assume that the mafiakill in this game does not have to 100% steal coins, and it causes death.
we already know that maf gets all the coins/items townies had when they kill them:

Standard Mechanics Reminder:
The Mafia Factional Kill is both assigned and mandatory. If the target dies, the killer takes any coins and items they had.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
you said assuming the features of this game are similar/the game to last game, but tim said it's quite different/that comparing won't likely get us far, so i wondered whether you missed him saying that

that's why i thought maybe the mafia use coins on something else other than bidding

or maybe the maf start with barely any or no coins and there's a handful of town who have a good amount of coins and others don't have many, and the idea is that the maf have to get lucky with killing townies with a decent amount of coins and avoid killing ones who don't have many if they want to win bids

• Agree
Reactions: Alisha

Stranger from Myst Island

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Personally I'm trying to avoid making comparisons to the original Economy in terms of the coin mechanics. For one, in the original economy town-aligned roles generally had no way of gaining money. That might be the case here, but I think it wouldn't be wise to jump directly to that conclusion.

Aqua

Does anybody remember laughter?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Website
tehurn.com
you said assuming the features of this game are similar/the game to last game, but tim said it's quite different/that comparing won't likely get us far, so i wondered whether you missed him saying that
...yes

which is why I don't think it's like last game because it would be OP if it was?

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
that's why i thought maybe the mafia use coins on something else other than bidding

or maybe the maf start with barely any or no coins and there's a handful of town who have a good amount of coins and others don't have many, and the idea is that the maf have to get lucky with killing townies with a decent amount of coins and avoid killing ones who don't have many if they want to win bids
it's possible there's a black market to buy things

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
Personally I'm trying to avoid making comparisons to the original Economy in terms of the coin mechanics. For one, in the original economy town-aligned roles generally had no way of gaining money. That might be the case here, but I think it wouldn't be wise to jump directly to that conclusion.
yeah I imagine this game isn't gonna be as stingy with coins, like the money printers and scrooges from before. since there's a universal way to interact with your coin totals and purchase stuff, logically that means that most if not everybody will be able to participate in bidding in some fashion.

Aqua

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Website
tehurn.com
then you put the brackets in the wrong place!
I don't think I did but if it helps I'll reiterate what I said.

If the night kill/steal works the same as it did last game, unless there is some other unknown mechanic, it would be imbalanced in regards to the auction mechanic.

Therefore it's reasonable to assume that the nightkill/stealing is different or there is some other mechanic in play to balance it out.

Stranger from Myst Island

Mafia Host
Reaction score
So here's a question: Where does everyone think the proceeds of the daily auction go?
I'm sure the natural assumption is that the house eats the coins or whatever, but what does it mean for us if the coins go to a certain player or players?

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
yeah I imagine this game isn't gonna be as stingy with coins, like the money printers and scrooges from before. since there's a universal way to interact with your coin totals and purchase stuff, logically that means that most if not everybody will be able to participate in bidding in some fashion.
Like to elaborate, in Economy the coin totals ended up being more passive - there were effects that depended on your coin totals like night actions and certain abilities, but in general your coin total was never directly compared to someone else's coin total

as a natural consequence of the bidding market, we all are competition for each other because we are putting our coin totals to use anonymously.

Aqua

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Website
tehurn.com
So here's a question: Where does everyone think the proceeds of the daily auction go?
I'm sure the natural assumption is that the house eats the coins or whatever, but what does it mean for us if the coins go to a certain player or players?
possibly a 3rd party role or split between numerous townies.

the latter could justify the blind bidding as it could make mafia hesitant to over bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.