Glitches in the Matrix

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
(Description of a "glitch in the Matrix" paraphrased from the subreddit of the same name (I don't actually use reddit, I just found the subreddit when I googled "reality glitch" to do my homework before posting the thread.))

A reality glitch or a "glitch in the Matrix", as it is called after the sci-fi movie starring Keanu Reeves, is when you experience weird coincidences that shouldn't happen according to conventional logic, when you know things you'd have no way of knowing or if you witness things that should be impossible.

For example, if you clearly remember leaving your phone at home because you didn't need it or whatever the reason, and then half an hour later discover that it's been in your pocket all along, that's a reality glitch. I'm sure there's others on the internet that can explain it better than I can, so if you're intrigued, google it and I'm sure you'll find a better explanation and better examples.

Anyhow, there's two reasons for me to create this thread.

1) So you could all discuss reality glitches or share your experiences that can be called one.
2) I had one (some) happen to me today and I'm slightly unnerved by it and I just wanted to share it with someone.

So basically, this whole day I've been noticing things that are slightly out of place. For example, every day when I come home from school, I throw my bag under the desk in my room. This morning I had to spend two minutes to search for the bag, since for some reason, it was in the kitchen. I have not carried it to the kitchen. Ever. It's possible that someone else did, and it would kind of make sense if I hadn't carried it to my room yesterday and left it at the front door instead, but I literally never do that.

Anyway, that wasn't the only thing. When I came home, I noticed that the three Mozart CDs that my dad listened to about two days ago and left beside the pile of other CDs were now neatly at the bottom of the pile. Unless he picked up all the CDs in the pile to put the Mozarts underneath while I was away (for what reason he'd do that, I have no idea since it's not like they're in order or anything), there's not much to explain it with.

But those two are just things that could have happened and could have a perfectly logical explanation, even if at first glance a bit unlikely. The real thing happened at school.

Basically, I clearly remembered (and still do) our Estonian teacher giving us a home assignment of preparing a 3 minute speech on a topic we'd choose. I vividly remember clarifying with her that we could use any topic, and I also clearly remember my despair over the 3 minute time constriction, since my speeches and other such things tend to get long. She definitely gave it to the whole class and that was it.
Today, when I asked her about the deadline for the speech, the date for which I had to prepare it, she couldn't recall giving the assignment. Neither did anyone else in the class that I talked to about it. What she did tell me, though, was that there was a speech competition coming up, where you'd have to perform two speeches, both three minutes long. She hadn't told anyone about it yet, though. No one. She was absolutely certain about it. There was no other way I could have known about the competition, either.
THEN WHO WAS PHONE

So, yeah, that unsettled me somewhat and now I've been noticing things out of place.

Anyhow, discuss my story or reality glitches in general, share your experiences and stuff.

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I think that glitches are inverted unlike in Matrix.... these are glitches in your brain :p

Basically brain trolls you.
That would be the logical explanation, yes.

In the case I gave, though, there was literally no way for me to know what I knew (the three minute time constriction on the speech), so that serves as sort of proof for me. I'm typically sceptic of things like those, but this I really can't explain. It's a small thing and it's always a possibility that my brain is playing tricks on me, especially in my case, I suppose, and it's not like I could give any proof besides my own memories, but I remember what I remember and I can give no logical explanation if my memories are true.

Reactions: Notme

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
That would be the logical explanation, yes.

In the case I gave, though, there was literally no way for me to know what I knew (the three minute time constriction on the speech), so that serves as sort of proof for me. I'm typically sceptic of things like those, but this I really can't explain. It's a small thing and it's always a possibility that my brain is playing tricks on me, especially in my case, I suppose, and it's not like I could give any proof besides my own memories, but I remember what I remember and I can give no logical explanation if my memories are true.
3 minutes is a common time limit for school speeches. Every speech I've ever had to give at school has had a 3 minute limit. Is it a yearly competition? It may be that you dreamed about it and didn't realize it was a dream.

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Did you...dream it?
I've seen cases of predictions of the future in dreams before.
I'd cite specific examples if I had any of my own, but they've all come from other people.

Edit because I posted too soon:
I've also had example of things seeming out of place, but I've always just put it up to poor memory.

Reactions: 1 person
Y

YouWould

Did you...dream it?
I'd cite specific examples if I had any of my own, but they've all come from other people.
I've actually had this happen to me several times, it wont be something huge like i'll envision the next day, but i'll see a moment or two of, say, being on an escalator, and the next day I'll be on the escalator and have Deja Vu

• Agree
Reactions: Naoh

digi

-
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
My phone and car keys are the main culprits of my reality glitch. I'm not that person who forgets where I put my phone or car keys, because I always put them on my trusty key holder/shelf. Still they always manage to grow legs and place themselves in odd places.

DaniGrenade

Reaction score
Website
www.nyancat.net
I was walking to the living room and as I passed the bathroom my brother was staring at himself in the mirror. I was like "You okay there bud?", and
he mumbled yeah, so I continued walking. When I reached the living room my brother was chilling on the couch watching TV. He somehow got there before me! I was confused at first.. then bothered because:
1. There is no possible way he could have walked by me without me seeing him
+ My house is very echo-y so you can hear every footstep but I didn't hear his..
2. I didn't even hear the TV sounds (or it being turned on)
3. I only have one brother.

It still confuses me to this day. I should have asked him how he got there so quickly. Would that be considered a glitch? 2 copies of a sibling? >.>?????

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
see, there's this thing called your memory
it is unreliable

other people can move things on their own
without you in the room
and sometimes they DON'T NOTIFY YOU.

nah jk that's conspiracy-theory bullshit
it's probably elves

• Optimistic
Reactions: Naoh

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
http://escaperestart.com/forum/threads/a-glitch-in-the-matrix-reoccurring-things-in-your-life.15779/
I'm interested to know if there's something in your life that just keeps popping up randomly, even as inconspicuous as people's shoe colour or letters in a car number plate you see all the time.

For me, I see the number 802, or the time 8:02, almost on a daily basis. It's a little creepy tbh.

Post yours if you have some!
please give me something I don't want the comments to just be "nuh, nothing like that" reinforcing that I'm just crazy arlalallallala ;____;
lol so. I get dejavu all the time. Maybe its resetting around me. All the time.
I've been noticing the word "martyr" every so often... But, that's probably because I'm watching House, and they say it at least once every season. (And I'm on Season 7/8.)
You know, I keep seeing this EVERYWHERE recently....
And thus the cycle begins...
I knew something like this existed, simply because it always happens. xD

It definitely occurs more often for newly learned/heard words, such as my martyr.
Hmm.. Priz found what is causing glitch in Matrix :D
THE GOD DAMNED
OUROBOROS

DAMN YOU CARL JUNG
I have deja vu very frequently. This specifically probably does happen to me, I just won't be able to remember until it happens
edit: don't wanna put a lot of stock in this just cuz its fairly ordinary, but I often think of something fairly irregular (a bulb going out in a teacher's projector, happens maybe 3 times a year per 6 classes) and I've noticed it tends to happen more than it ought. Not exactly the same thing, but close enough to add I think
Another thing, I frequently zone out into my thoughts with my eyes open, and I snap out of it when something in my thoughts is what I'm looking at.

It's hard to explain, but I'll do my best. Imagine I'm looking at a plank with imperfections and knots in it. I zone out while staring at it and about half a minute later I'm looking at the sun in my daydream. When that sun is in the exact same spot as a knot on the wood, bam the daydream is interrupted. I've literally lost count as I've tried to count but it happens so often.

Another similar thing (not deja vu though) is a phrase I made up when I was seven; "red jersey." I decided to try an experiment, I will try to keep "red jersey" in my head until the day I die. It has been almost nine years and I still have it firmly planted - I couldn't get rid of it if I tried.
oh its this thread again
I get deja vu fairly often; it's generally a complete set of events where I could swear happened exactly the same way at an unfathomable point in the past.
Trust me, the red pill will only make you wake up in a mental hospital.
when I opened this it went back a page and seriously confused me.
I made the seven of diamonds my favorite card in the deck, and quite often, times when I'm suffleing, it pops up. It happens a lot. I like to think its a magical card.
:]
I wouldn't have said it happens overly much for me with cards but, now that you mention it, I DO see the 2 of Spades overly often.

You might have just helped me discover a new one of mine? :O
edit: Yes, Duffie, this is old. Your ability to be overwhelmingly profound astounds me.

Last edited:

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Is calling something a "reality glitch" a forgetful person's way of making it seem they aren't forgetful
no

3 minutes is a common time limit for school speeches. Every speech I've ever had to give at school has had a 3 minute limit. Is it a yearly competition? It may be that you dreamed about it and didn't realize it was a dream.
It's a yearly competition, apparently, but I've never heard of it before and I haven't been involved in any other speech competitions either.

Did you...dream it?
No, I didn't dream it. I remember it happening on Wednesday, and then on Friday people keep telling me it never happened.

I was walking to the living room and as I passed the bathroom my brother was staring at himself in the mirror. I was like "You okay there bud?", and
he mumbled yeah, so I continued walking. When I reached the living room my brother was chilling on the couch watching TV. He somehow got there before me! I was confused at first.. then bothered because:
1. There is no possible way he could have walked by me without me seeing him
+ My house is very echo-y so you can hear every footstep but I didn't hear his..
2. I didn't even hear the TV sounds (or it being turned on)
3. I only have one brother.

It still confuses me to this day. I should have asked him how he got there so quickly. Would that be considered a glitch? 2 copies of a sibling? >.>?????
This is a glitch.

My phone and car keys are the main culprits of my reality glitch. I'm not that person who forgets where I put my phone or car keys, because I always put them on my trusty key holder/shelf. Still they always manage to grow legs and place themselves in odd places.
This is mostly something that can be done by other people and your own brain being a scumbag and forgetting things.

JtTorso

Reaction score
We live in a world of rational explanations, the idea that glitches or anything akin to a real life matrix outside of your computer is absurd. Lately a lot of people have been taking these serious discussions and confusing them with sci-fi fantasy. Looking at you, cloning thread. The human brain is a complex organic machine that we fully don't understand and chalking it up to a "glitch" is doing it an injustice. Since memory simply holds up only a portion of the brain it likes to shuffle around memories and sometimes it removes memories and confuses them. Just because you think you remember something doesn't mean you actually do, that's just how the brain works. if I lose my keys and I swore I left them somewhere (which happens often) it can mean a number of things.
1. I didn't actually leave them where I thought.
2. I moved them without realization.
3. Someone or something moved them (Person, Cat, Etc.).

• Thank You
Reactions: Hunter and Notme