[serious] Why I think the dislike rating needs to be removed

W

Wimali

1. Blocktopia isn’t mature enough to have a dislike button. (Although honestly, most gaming-related forums aren't)
I know this has been brought up before, and every time it’s been denied. I remember shiny making a thread about it, so of course some people just decided to dislike it. Isn’t that funny? He made a thread asking to remove the dislike button, and it got disliked! Get it? Hehehehe.
That’s just one example of why this rating should get removed. I’m going to give some more examples later on in this thread, but I’d like to disprove & prove a few points first.

Here's some statements that have been brought up before regarding this subject, which I'd like to disprove:
1.1 It’s really silly if you care about dislikes on an online community.
As Chillingworth brought up in the last thread:
If someone's getting offended over an internet rating from a random stranger halfway around the globe, I suggest they take a little break from the internet. I mean, come on guys, it's worthless and not something you should get bothered about ;) That might be true, it might not be. I feel like this one is more of a matter of opinion. I, for one, don’t give a shit about dislikes. But I honestly think this point is invalid. It’s not silly to care about dislikes on forums when you spent a whole lot of time or your daily life on it, like a lot of people. I know there are a lot of people on here that DO care about dislikes. And aren’t they justified? Some people spend a lot of time on something on here, or accidently say/do something wrong. A dislike is very discouraging.

1.2 It’s really sad if we have to remove this rating just because a few people abuse it.
Absolutely not. I see more and more people abuse this rating, even Ops and VetOps. Yeah, it’s kind of sad that a few people have to ruin it for the others, but in my opinion it’s really gotten to the point where too many just can’t resist to dislike the shit out of people they don’t like.

1.3 “It’s not guns that kill people, but people that kill people.”
As awwyea brought up in the last thread:
'Guns don't kill people, people kill people.'
=
'Dislikes don't offend people, people offend people.'

Don't get rid of the instrument, teach the masses how to use the fucking thing, and your problem is solved.

Fair point, I guess. I suppose an admin or something could post an announcement regarding dislikes, telling people to grow the fuck up, and things will go nice for a while. The members got the message and they won’t ever do it again. Until after a few months everyone the message will be mostly forgotten and it starts all over again.

1.4 Removing the rating will cause more hate in posts.
As Malcovent brought up in the last thread:

If you remove the rating, their outburst will mostly likely move into their post, rather than a rating. Which can end up considerably more.. ugly

Which could be correct! Some people will just start raging in a post instead! But I feel like someone insulting you like crazy or being very mad in a post isn’t as bad as a permanent negative rating on your profile. Hell, I think these outbursts would only happen rarely, because I believe while a lot of Blocktopians love to hate on things, they’ll avoid making a fool of themselves.

And this might be a positive point, even: Instead of rating a post dislike, someone would be forced to actually respond to the thread, explaining why they dislike it! How could you not encourage that? It would also solve the problem of someone disliking random posts of other people. I think people would be more likely to dislike someone’s post in the hope it would make someone sad instead of yelling “fuck you!!!!” in a post. After all, I see quite a few staff members and old members abuse this rating, and I think they’d act way more civil in a post. I’ll also copy what Vatumok said on the last thread here, which I 100% agree on: we didn't have ratings for a long time and I don't think it really stops outbursts. If someone is THAT mad, (s) he’s probably going to post something bad anyway, not just press the dislike button. Currently it's mostly pressed as an I don't like what you said button which is very unnecessary to have.

1.5 Removing the dislike rating is going too far, Blocktopia doesn’t want/need to be over-protective!
As Malcovent said on the last thread: This promotes a community where, in essence, we end up protecting you to an absurd extent that can carry on upto banning swearing, light hearted jokes or such - it just has the capacity to carry on and on.
I highly disagree with this one. Just removing the dislike rating, how would that make Blocktopia suddenly ban swearing and other stuff like that? I feel like that statement was kind of exaggerated.

I’d also like to bring up a few other points:

2.1 The dislike button has no use.
Seriously though. There’s a reason websites like Facebook, Twitter and a lot of others don’t have a dislike button: It doesn’t serve a damn purpose but to hate or troll. Why rate something “Dislike” if you could just post a thread instead, explaining why you dislike that particular post? Why rate something “Dislike” when you know it will most likely cause the person to become angry and/or upset? That’s my biggest reason for this button to be removed. It only causes people to be angry or sad.

2.2 It’s more ab/misused than used properly.
One might argue that, sure, there are a lot of trolls and personal grudges and abuse of the dislike button, but it’s useful sometimes! You can dislike people who troll themselves, or advertise, or post really stupid shit! Yup, you’re right. But there’s also a report button, or an “Oh no!” rating. Still, this rating comes in handy sometimes. Yet I feel like it’s more mis/abused than used properly, and in most cases threads or posts that get disliked are because of personal grudges, someone trying to be funny and horribly failing, someone insulting/being racist/being rude, or other things.

Again I say that most of the times these dislikes could’ve been avoided and the action of disliking a post could’ve been replaced with reporting them, talking it out, etc. The only time I feel like it could be useful is when people are being extremely rude, but even then a simple report should be enough.

2.3 Dislikes only create (more) hate, (more) fights, (more) misunderstandings.
I’ve kind of covered this one in my first point I guess but I really feel like I just can’t repeat it enough. Dislikes won’t help, most of the time. They’ll only make things worse. All they do is cause hate, confuse people, create arguments/fights, etc.

2.4 Disliking something is very lazy, and removing this rating would force people into expressing their opinion.
Have already kind of explained this one; don’t think it needs any more to it!

2.5 People don’t think about disliking and often just follow the crowd.
I’ve actually tested this one before. I’ve asked my friend buildbuild12 to randomly dislike a few posts I made before, and suddenly a few more people disliked it, while I’m sure they wouldn’t have disliked it otherwise. And other times people won’t even fully read posts or misunderstand something and just dislike it. A lot of people just dislike a post without thinking of the consequences or reasoning behind that post!

And now, finally over to the examples. I feel like I’ve already made this way longer than it should’ve been, so I’ll just keep the examples short and sweet.

3.1 Disagreements
My first example is quite an old one, but I felt like I really had to bring this one up. Most of you will most likely remember when DoD was announced, and it was going to be full PvP. Woohoo, murdering other people! Fun! But then, a few days later, Superstein announced “Settlements”. Settlements could be made no-PvP! And although most likely only a very small part of the map was going to be no-PvP, people didn’t quite like it. So they rated his post Disagree or Oh no! and then explained why they didn’t like it, but still understood why this had to be implemented, or even asked because they couldn’t understand.

Haha, just kidding. Naturally, they disliked the shit out of Superstein’s post, who had worked on DoD for a long time completely for free and for the player’s entertainment only (the very players who were now disliking his post) to the point where it got hidden because it had too many dislikes. Yeah, of course people removed the dislikes and apologized, but only after Superstein had to tell them how fucking rude and immature their actions were.

3.2 An eye for an eye, a dislike for a dislike.
Some time ago, Toiletprincess started a thread which wasn’t very well received. It got quite a few dislikes, and although I personally think those were useless and only cause hate, as I explained earlier, I could understand why some people disliked it and honestly didn’t mind that much: http://i.imgur.com/XovjW2T.png

A few hours later, this happened in the recent activity tab: http://i.imgur.com/EVuDa4t.png

Yeah. The OP of that disliked thread basically picked out one of the disliked and went to dislike some of his posts, together with their friend. (Now before someone says that’s not true, it still doesn’t explain the random dislikes. Why dislike these posts otherwise? What, you think lovedaice is so ugly you had to dislike his posts?) Now I’m very sorry for showing only this specific situation of toilet and coolio, really putting them in a bad light. Because honestly, they aren’t the first at all to have done something like this, and not even the first staff member. This was just the most recent dislike-for-a-dislike incident.

I could give way more examples but I feel like this is long enough now and feel like this should enough.

tl;dr A lot of people misuse the dislike button, even staff. There have been a lot of discussions about it before and still people haven’t learned. People do care about imaginary points on internet communities, because they spend a lot of time on there. Dislikes serve no purpose, only cause hate and negativeness + disliking something is lazy, removing the ability to dislike a post would either make people express their opinions more rather than just disliking something, or suddenly make the “Disagree” rating extremely popular. Yes, a dislike button is useful, but more incorrectly used than correctly.

Discuss, and please for the love of god, stay classy when discussing. The last thread had quite a few negative ratings, on the original post & responses, and almost turned into a shitstorm. I’d be really disappointed in Blocktopia’s community if that happens

I realize this has been brought up before, but I really feel like the dislike button should get removed and hope this post, and the discussion that hopefully follows, make that happen. (also eh i wrote this in like one night from 10pm-6am so pls forgive mistakes)

EDIT: The "serious" tag is there for a reason. I know the urge to respond with funny responses and look cool is extremely big, but please don't. Please keep one discussion serious, for once.

EDIT: Thanks for the gold!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sephhh

Supermegauber Foxy Fox!
Reaction score
Website
blocktopia.net
As much as we should be free to express our thoughts, I believe that it's better to keep dislikes to ourselves.

I even remember a director's post that was hidden due to dislikes. Personally I don't think there is anything bad about disliking and I don't think people should be offended by getting dislikes, but for me, if you dislike something, you should justify it instead of just leaving marks. To mention, dislikes tend to leave a bad impression to the person from the viewers.

I think it gives more of an impression of "this sucks" more than "this isn't right" even though you feel the latter.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
While I agree this community definitely isn't mature, I figure people who misuse it should be punished. Who gives a crap if it's a joke, don't do it. I like having the dislike button. If people can only see positive ratings on a horrible posts because the only negative rating that would make sense (you're not gonna call a dumb post that isn't old old). It gives the wrong idea, and makes people think "oh people think this is good...?", when only a couple like it.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
Time for a long Mikey response.

I'm not really sure where to start since I've been quite a user of the dislike rating. I have given more dislikes than any other rating. I actually do find the rating to be useful in instances and if used correctly. I don't randomly whack them out every time I don't like something. I've been on these forums for 2 years+ and only have given out about 70.

I dislike posts for a couple of reasons. Not just because I am too lazy to type up a comment explaining my reason. I'll dislike a post if it comes off rude, unnecessary, childish, or even stupid. Now, I find that a pretty acceptable use of the rating. I don't feel the need (or have the time to thoroughly explain each and every dislike.)

Now, I agree with you completely that this is a broken system. It truly is and there is no doubt about that whatsoever. The fact that people dislike because they see dislikes or just do it because they are angry and think with no reason whatsoever is quite annoying. It's honestly a deep let down for me to come here and see the community grow into something that cannot handle a simple dislike rating. I have even noticed that the same people repeatedly dislike my posts simply because they don't like me, I wouldn't doubt if they did it on this post too.

Mid-rant rant: The communities average age has been decreasing since 2011 and it's sometimes hard to get used to dealing with the maturity of a 13 year old than a 18 year old (how it used to be.) I have no problem with younger individuals at all, but when people cannot uphold the decency of being mature, that's when I get angry. (Or even dislike the immature/childish posts)

And as Chillingworth brought up, it's a simple rating. We even changed the rating from "Dumb" to "Dislike" to reduce feelings being hurt. If anyone, anywhere in the world takes my dislike to the heart they are not suitable to be on the internet. if a little rating system offends them, they have no idea how much worse can be done or said. I find it hard to counter Malcovents argument because we all know it would happen. If the Dislike rating was removed, people would be much more hostile in the comments. It's a guarantee. It's a brilliant idea that if it were removed everyone would go ahead and post a nice, rational comment on why they don't like that content, but we all know it just would not happen that way.

This isn't the only rating to be 'misused' either. People went on rampage 'upvoting/liking' their friends. (Again, I don't really give a shit if someone does because it's a damn rating.) Dio4344 brought this up in a thread (which I think for the first time agreed with him) explaining the misuse of the Like rating.

If our players on the forums (most of whom have been with us for a long time) and staff cannot handle something simple as this puts me to fucking disgust.

What really needs to be remembered here is that this is a rating, on the internet, from someone possibly across the world from you. If you get offended over that you need to rethink what the internet is and your emotional well-being.

These are just my two cents on the dislike rating, hopefully you can all respect that.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
The red highlighted points are what I want to focus on, although, I've condensed Bram's original post considerably.

1.1 It’s really silly if you care about dislikes on an online community.
But I honestly think this point is invalid. It’s not silly to care about dislikes on forums when you spent a whole lot of time or your daily life on it, like a lot of people. I know there are a lot of people on here that DO care about dislikes. And aren’t they justified? Some people spend a lot of time on something on here, or accidently say/do something wrong. A dislike is very discouraging.
This is on point. A dislike can be discouraging to the person that receives it. A person with high or low self-esteem could take a dislike differently whether it be to prove to themselves that they can do better or maybe become sad for a moment. Somehow I think that the dislike rating, or any negative rating, could be a subtle form of Cyberbullying. But that's just how I perceive it and many of you may see it differently.

1.2 It’s really sad if we have to remove this rating just because a few people abuse it.
Absolutely not. I see more and more people abuse this rating, even Ops and VetOps. Yeah, it’s kind of sad that a few people have to ruin it for the others, but in my opinion it’s really gotten to the point where too many just can’t resist to dislike the shit out of people they don’t like.
I have noticed that some players go on a spamming spree to give a negative rating to another person's posts even if that post is a few months old. It's like they look through that player's "recent posts" and go off from that. And plus, it's quite annoying to see a load of rating spam in the "recent activity" section.

1.3 “It’s not guns that kill people, but people that kill people.”
Fair point, I guess. I suppose an admin or something could post an announcement regarding dislikes, telling people to grow the fuck up, and things will go nice for a while. The members got the message and they won’t ever do it again. Until after a few months everyone the message will be mostly forgotten and it starts all over again.
I think an Admin (san00b?) has done something like this awhile back. It was around the lines of "Stay classy Blocktopia." Even after that post, I have seen instances where players were flaming each other on a thread and someone had to come in and tell them to "stay classy".

1.4 Removing the rating will cause more hate in posts.
And this might be a positive point, even: Instead of rating a post dislike, someone would be forced to actually respond to the thread, explaining why they dislike it! How could you not encourage that? I’ll also copy what Vatumok said on the last thread here, which I 100% agree on: we didn't have ratings for a long time and I don't think it really stops outbursts. If someone is THAT mad, (s) he’s probably going to post something bad anyway, not just press the dislike button. Currently it's mostly pressed as an I don't like what you said button which is very unnecessary to have.
If all else fails, I think that this would be the best solution on how to control the way the Dislike rating is given. Perhaps a required post could be used for all of the negative ratings that are given? But you may think of the Proverb "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say, don't say anything at all". Some people may not believe in that at all, but at least the truth as to why you disliked the post could lead to an open understanding in some respect.

1.5 Removing the dislike rating is going too far, Blocktopia doesn’t want/need to be over-protective!
As Malcovent said on the last thread: This promotes a community where, in essence, we end up protecting you to an absurd extent that can carry on upto banning swearing, light hearted jokes or such - it just has the capacity to carry on and on.
I highly disagree with this one. Just removing the dislike rating, how would that make Blocktopia suddenly ban swearing and other stuff like that? I feel like that statement was kind of exaggerated.
Protecting. Of course it would be absurd to censor the hell out of anyone for a slightly offensive remark or go NSA on them and make sure that they obey all the rules and what not. That would take too many resources and would be excessive. But the least that the Blocktopian Community could do is have some sort of mutual understanding with one another and respect each other even if you know the other person or not. Now that may be impossible for everyone to do, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

2.1 The dislike button has no use.
Seriously though. There’s a reason websites like Facebook, Twitter and a lot of others don’t have a dislike button: It doesn’t serve a damn purpose but to hate or troll. It only causes people to be angry or sad.
Facebook just recently released a "thumbs down" sticker for Messenger. Although, it's not the full dislike button, the sticker is somewhat representative of it. And yes, getting a dislike will cause a certain emotion depending on the person.

2.3 Dislikes only create (more) hate, (more) fights, (more) misunderstandings.
I’ve kind of covered this one in my first point I guess but I really feel like I just can’t repeat it enough. Dislikes won’t help, most of the time. They’ll only make things worse. All they do is cause hate, confuse people, create arguments/fights, etc.
This probably contradicts Part 1.4's idea on how players would be required to post something if they dislike a post. That required post could make things worse than just a simple "dislike" rating and moving on.

3.2 An eye for an eye, a dislike for a dislike.
Some time ago, Toiletprincess started a thread which wasn’t very well received. It got quite a few dislikes, and although I personally think those were useless and only cause hate, as I explained earlier, I could understand why some people disliked it and honestly didn’t mind that much: http://i.imgur.com/XovjW2T.png
A few hours later, this happened in the recent activity tab: http://i.imgur.com/EVuDa4t.png

Yeah. The OP of that disliked thread basically picked out one of the disliked and went to dislike some of his posts, together with their friend. (Now before someone says that’s not true, it still doesn’t explain the random dislikes. Why dislike these posts otherwise? What, you think lovedaice is so ugly you had to dislike his posts?) Now I’m very sorry for showing only this specific situation of toilet and coolio, really putting them in a bad light. Because honestly, they aren’t the first at all to have done something like this, and not even the first staff member. This was just the most recent dislike-for-a-dislike incident.
While it's unfortunate to see this happen, you just can't turn a blind eye and move on like nothing is wrong. The very word that came up when I saw this was "Cyberbullying". People may agree or disagree on how I'm labeling this situation, but that's how I see it. Two friends ganging up someone else and maybe coercing that said person with negative ratings. It may or may not affect the person that received it -- maybe depending on their level of self-esteem -- but it affected me -- and maybe other people who aren't directly a part of it. To me, it shows their type of character and how they act out of this community. This isn't specifically geared toward them, but to everyone else in this community and anywhere on the internet.

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
Whilst your post, Bram13 , is very well argued and layed out (respect for that), I personally will stay with the opinion I had on this from the beginning. For me, this quote by Mikey sums it up well (and by gosh, I certainly don't like some of the things he posts ;) )

It's honestly a deep let down for me to come here and see the community grow into something that cannot handle a simple dislike rating.
In the last thread about this, I added the following:
If your post is rated 'Dislike' it says nothing about YOU, but much more about the person that rated, as it reflects THEIR position and opinion.
When I - personally - see a post being rated dislike, I don't form an opinion on the person that posted, I much rather get a certain picture of the people that used the rating.

So from my perspective I still don't see a single good reason to remove it, but since it's only a simple click to do so, we have to wait for the overall result of this ;)

cooliorules

That Awkward Noodle
Donor
Reaction score
Ah, so yes. You saw the little ramapage that I had.
I'd first up like to say, I went to the beach right after and on my way there as well as the whole damn time I was there, I felt guilty as fuck.
Ask Toilet if you want, when I got back to her house (where my computer was) I removed all of the ratings.

The situation that was involved with it, I am going to discuss with a few people and if said situation gets out of hand I will get an admin. But for now, I will just stay as mature as I can be, and try to be the bigger person in this.

I'm probably going to get a lot of people like "Why did you do it in the first place then?"
Because I was fucking upset. Toilet and I had a good time last night, and to see that it was HIDDEN because 6 people disliked it honestly broke my heart.

Also, Bram13 Could you please take the example photo down? I'm ashamed of my actions, and am on the verge of fucking leaving, because I feel that people are going to look down on me with harsh eyes.

• Winner
Reactions: Hunter

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd first up like to say, I went to the beach right after and on my way there as well as the whole damn time I was there, I felt guilty as fuck.
Ask Toilet if you want, when I got back to her house (where my computer was) I removed all of the ratings.

The situation that was involved with it, I am going to discuss with a few people and if said situation gets out of hand I will get an admin. But for now, I will just stay as mature as I can be, and try to be the bigger person in this.

I'm probably going to get a lot of people like "Why did you do it in the first place then?"
Because I was fucking upset. Toilet and I had a good time last night, and to see that it was HIDDEN because 6 people disliked it honestly broke my heart.
Along with you getting home and removing the ratings, literally right after I had disliked them I'd taken them down because I AUTOMATICALLY regretted it.
I guess it does depend on the person, because even though things are the internet, some people are more sensitive then others and that should be taken into consideration when giving a rating to a post. Think about what you're doing before you do it- and I know that may sound like I'm being a hypocrite, and I am.

cooliorules

That Awkward Noodle
Donor
Reaction score
I guess it does depend on the person, because even though things are the internet, some people are more sensitive then others and that should be taken into consideration when giving a rating to a post. Think about what you're doing before you do it- and I know that may sound like I'm being a hypocrite, and I am.

I could not agree with this more.
Some people take things to heart, unfortunately I am one of those people.
A community is a place that you're supposed to be accepted and not made to feel upset.
This is a community, is it not?
Whether you're on the internet, or you're in real life, you're still the same person. Some may act differently, but I don't. I stay the same way I am everywhere I go.

When you post something/rate something/say something to someone, just think if you'd say it to them in real life.

BACK ON TO THE TOPIC OF THE DISLIKE BUTTON
There are parts I agree with bram. Most of it, I agree with actually.
I honestly feel that he's put his heart and soul into this, and it should be seriously considered.

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
While I don't have time for a long response, I have to say, I mostly agree with bram on this one and especially with rawr. The points they bring up are fair in my opinion. Seeing users, even ops misuse and abuse the button and use it for personal revenge makes me sad and very disappointed in them. While there are indeed reasonable users out there, the ones who aren't are, as it seems, a majority or at least a very noticeable part, which is a huge problem and needs to be fixed.

Removing the dislike button would probably be the best option right now, when an informative post by a Director gets hidden due to too many dislikes and ops start cyberbullying.

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score

Also, Bram13 Could you please take the example photo down? I'm ashamed of my actions, and am on the verge of fucking leaving, because I feel that people are going to look down on me with harsh eyes.
Honestly, I saw no reason why your thread got seven dislikes. Basically, it raises this situation in my head to see that;

"Oh a few girls having some fun and sharing their video with us? Let's dislike it because ew girls hirrhrrusf-"

One of those dislikes, being Mikey, it'd be lovely if you could explain at least your reason because I can't think of a single reason whatsoever.

As for you, Coolio. Don't leave, you're a cool person from when we met in RoF those months ago. I've done things I'm not proud of either but I'm still here, on the Forums, commenting on a rating that I myself hate with a burning passion because I see people abuse the shit out of it all the time-

Anyway Coolio, I suggest you listen to Mikey's story (if he's willing to share) if you're really feeling that bad.

But GmK , please, add an announcement or something. At the very least, the problem has to be addressed formally by an Admin or it's never going to end. It's been addressed by two well-known members now, and what you added in the last thread is when the rating is used in a serious way, which is how it's supposed to be (in my opinion). "The Dislike rating is a serious rating for responding to serious posts, meaning that it should have some obvious justification for being there." Using it in a casual manner is like giving a little kid a BB gun to play with. It won't kill, but damn it'll hurt.

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score

Honestly, I saw no reason why your thread got seven dislikes. Basically, it raises this situation in my head to see that;

"Oh a few girls having some fun and sharing their video with us? Let's dislike it because ew girls hirrhrrusf-"

One of those dislikes, being Mikey, it'd be lovely if you could explain at least your reason because I can't think of a single reason whatsoever.

As for you, Coolio. Don't leave, you're a cool person from when we met in RoF those months ago. I've done things I'm not proud of either but I'm still here, on the Forums, commenting on a rating that I myself hate with a burning passion because I see people abuse the shit out of it all the time-

Anyway Coolio, I suggest you listen to Mikey's story (if he's willing to share) if you're really feeling that bad.

But GmK , please, add an announcement or something. At the very least, the problem has to be addressed formally by an Admin or it's never going to end. It's been addressed by two well-known members now, and what you added in the last thread is when the rating is used in a serious way, which is how it's supposed to be (in my opinion). "The Dislike rating is a serious rating for responding to serious posts, meaning that it should have some obvious justification for being there." Using it in a casual manner is like giving a little kid a BB gun to play with. It won't kill, but damn it'll hurt.
She spoke to Mikey on teamspeak and he just called it straight up immature, stupid and childish.

• Agree
Reactions: cooliorules

cooliorules

That Awkward Noodle
Donor
Reaction score

I'm taking a small break from the forums, maybe not the servers, but the forums. This place is making me feel so down and not wanted when I'm supposed to be accepted

She spoke to Mikey on teamspeak and he just called it straight up immature, stupid and childish.
We're 13 and 14. We're classified as children. What does he expect? We like to have fun while we can.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
I honestly think the video is immature and rather annoying. (Again my personal belief and I showed that with a simple dislike rating) I just don't see any maturity watching our staff run around screaming in a room to be the most appropriate matter (or how to display oneself when I believe staff are supposed to uphold a level of maturity.)

Again, I'm a bit used to what the community was, rather than what it is growing to be. I'm not to seeing our staff being young girls screaming in a room and 'spaztic' dancing.

I didn't think my dislike on the video would cause much harm since it was my personal opinion and yes, I didn't just dislike it for no reason.

I'm taking a small break from the forums, maybe not the servers, but the forums. This place is making me feel so down and not wanted when I'm supposed to be accepted
There will always be a place where people don't like you. It's life. You have to be tougher than them though and carry on regardless of what they think of you. I'm not trying to ostracize you at all, I just don't think it is an appropriate manner to display yourself in. (And I think it is highly annoying.) If you're going to leave the forums because a couple of people don't share the same view as you, that is silly in my opinion.

cooliorules

That Awkward Noodle
Donor
Reaction score
I honestly think the video is immature and rather annoying. (Again my personal belief and I showed that with a simple dislike rating) I just don't see any maturity watching our staff run around screaming in a room to be the most appropriate matter (or how to display oneself when I believe staff are supposed to uphold a level of maturity.)

Again, I'm a bit used to what the community was, rather than what it is growing to be. I'm not to seeing our staff being young girls screaming in a room and 'spaztic' dancing.

I didn't think my dislike on the video would cause much harm since it was my personal opinion and yes, I didn't just dislike it for no reason.

There will always be a place where people don't like you. It's life. You have to be tougher than them though and carry on regardless of what they think of you. I'm not trying to ostracize you at all, I just don't think it is an appropriate manner to display yourself in. (And I think it is highly annoying.) If you're going to leave the forums because a couple of people don't share the same view as you, that is silly in my opinion.
The thing is, you said that the community in a whole is becoming younger. Well yeah, what happens when all of the people who are 18+ get jobs and families, and they no longer have time for here? Who would keep the community going? The people who are coming through as the younger players.

Also we weren't affecting the server itself in any way. We weren't playing minecraft, so it's not like it did any harm what so ever.
Yes, I can be immature. But I always make sure that it would NEVER harm the servers because that would literally kill me.

And Mikey you really shouldn't be telling me to be tougher when you're one of the people that literally has made me so upset that I'm debating whether I should be here in the first place

Reactions: Zelz

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Coolio, I know that you're a very emotional person, but I see no reason to leave the forums just because of one incident that displays you in a bad light. Sure enough, I feel disappointed in you for doing what you did, but you realized what you did was wrong, and no matter what happens, you'll always be a friend, a very good friend and no dislike rating is gonna change that.

So could we all not turn this thread into an emotional drama thread and instead focus on the original topic? ;)

EDIT: Btw, the fact that we have such drama over dislike ratings itself shows that the rating should go, in my opinion at least. There will be people that take every rating seriously and as the community gets younger, that number will grow.

L

Later_Gator

For goodness sake. They're only teenage girls.

I just don't see any maturity watching our staff run around screaming in a room to be the most appropriate matter (or how to display oneself when I believe staff are supposed to uphold a level of maturity.)
Last I've checked, staff aren't chosen based on what they do outside of Blocktopia for fun, and I also find it disappointing, even hypocritcal, of you to have taken at jab at their maturity as staff, simply based on what they do for fun. You know what? We're all different. We all do different things to have fun, to enjoy ourselves. Your idea of having "fun" will most likely differ from others. That's what makes each and every one of us unique. For coolio and Toilet, they obviously enjoy acting crazy around each other, and, frankly, you should respect that, even if you personally view it as "immature" and "annoying". That's how they have fun.

I believe it's more than just a couple people not sharing the same view as them. You see, coolio and Toilet simply filmed themselves acting crazy and harmlessly having fun, just being themselves. They also had a small group of people they intended the video for, but, sadly, some people couldn't look past that and decided to dislike it anyway. Now, if I were to have done something similar, posting a video of me being myself and having fun, only to have it disliked, I would feel incredibly discouraged and quite upset, as it tells me people don't like it when I'm myself. And that's a miserable environment to create.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
For goodness sake. They're only teenage girls.

I just don't see any maturity watching our staff run around screaming in a room to be the most appropriate matter (or how to display oneself when I believe staff are supposed to uphold a level of maturity.)
Last I've checked, staff aren't chosen based on what they do outside of Blocktopia for fun, and I also find it disappointing, even hypocritcal, of you to have taken at jab at their maturity as staff, simply based on what they do for fun. You know what? We're all different. We all do different things to have fun, to enjoy ourselves. Your idea of having "fun" will most likely differ from others. That's what makes each and every one of us unique. For coolio and Toilet, they obviously enjoy acting crazy around each other, and, frankly, you should respect that, even if you personally view it as "immature" and "annoying". That's how they have fun.

I believe it's more than just a couple people not sharing the same view as them. You see, coolio and Toilet simply filmed themselves acting crazy and harmlessly having fun, just being themselves. They also had a small group of people they intended the video for, but, sadly, some people couldn't look past that and decided to dislike it anyway. Now, if I were to have done something similar, posting a video of me being myself and having fun, only to have it disliked, I would feel incredibly discouraged and quite upset, as it tells me people don't like it when I'm myself. And that's a miserable environment to create.
Again, I understand there doing this for fun. Their children and I understand that. I do believe it is just immature though. I would have never voiced my opinion at all on this had I not been asked. I would've just kept it at a dislike, and that is all. I voiced my opinion after being asked and then get a slap to the face?

Anyway, I'd hope this discussion not be deleted because it is actually on-topic for the fact voicing someones dislike reason on a thread instead of a rating can actually be quite dangerous for ones emotions. That is what we just saw firsthand.

I'm done posting here anyway, so I wouldn't waste anymore time trying to right up something to me.

(I don't want this to spatter anymore out of control)

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
I think the argument between Mikey and Coolio in this thread shows that the dislike rating is only causing trouble and hate.

As is being said here, a dislike is someones personal opinion. Therefor I don't see any reason to go around and show others you dislike them. Why do people have to show others that they don't like something?

I remember something like this from classic zombie. Where people typed "FUCK" every time they died. And when they asked why they couldn't do that, an OP said something like this: "You don't have to tell everyone that you are mad about dying. You can smash your keyboard or hit your screen, but there is no reason to tell the world you are mad"

And I think the same applies here, there is no reason for people to show the world they dislike something. or like something for that matter, but that is a diffrent story. It's like going to a random stranger on the street and say "I don't like your face". There is no need to do it so don't. All it does is make people angry.

So from my perspective I still don't see a single good reason to remove it, but since it's only a simple click to do so, we have to wait for the overall result of this ;)
Honestly, I don't see a single good reason to have the rating.

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
With a mess-up, comes a solution. Have a party Some of these could be an option to disable the dislike button in posts, or to remove it all together. We should be thinking about the solution to the problem, not debating about what's happened and the consequences.

Sploorky

Reaction score
First off, about the whole Mikey vs Coolio thing--I'm just gonna throw this out here, I can really relate to Mikey's view of events. If someone has a reason to dislike a thread---ie, and simply put, you dont like the content, then...ok. dislike it. Big whoop. The button is there for you to use it like that. And yeah, I honestly felt the thread was silly and embarrassing to yourself, and does go to reflect a bit of overboard silliness in our playerbase, and while that is something I do not personally like seeing, I never really wanted to get into or do anything about, considering you're by all means flying under the shadow of the rules. Just wanted to get that out there, nobody's doing anything wrong by posting it, you just have to realize maybe the dislikes are there for a reason.

As for the actual rating itself...the only reason I see it being abused is when people spam it. And honestly, if people spam it...you, mr spammer, are all sorts of silly. You are doing the digital equivalent of, instead of going to them, saying "hey, this bothers me, would you please cut it out" or just having a respectful conversation, you go in all guns blazing, throwing around your digital middle fingers, and expecting to leave an impact, maybe going "ohhohohohooho I got him good, I bet that guy feels terrible I dislike all his posts!" When in actuality, you look silly, you seem silly. Because when you do this, you are silly.

And that is simply it. Not offensive. Not mean. Not "Oh no, he is such a bad person, we must remove the dislike rating because he keeps using it!". Just plain Silly.

So stop being silly. Speak to people about your issues, not resort to passive-aggressiveness and "I have a problem with you, but I'm too good to speak to you about it!"

Dislike rating will not be removed. The people abusing it can go and really look at their lives and think, "the hell am I doing?". Same for the people feeling hurt by being disliked. If someone can't speak to you about their issues, then their issues aren't worth your time. Move on from being disliked.

Admin rant over. Sploorky out, blocktopia.