Status
Not open for further replies.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I agree with Duffie for most of it. In my personal opinion I still think that it has to be removed, but just because I think it should doesn't mean it has to. I'll leave it to the whole community.
I agree that is should be removed, or Atleast changed to neutral. If you dislike an Idea why should a user receive a negative rating because someone disliked your suggestion? The user may feel offended. I see people quite alot thinking that the dislike rating is the disagree rating and using it to "disagree" with posts even though they both have two different meanings.

Riketr

Reaction score
I agree that it should be removed, or At least changed to neutral. If you dislike an Idea why should a user receive a negative rating because someone disliked your suggestion? The user may feel offended. I see people quite a lot thinking that the dislike rating is the disagree rating and using it to "disagree" with posts even though they both have two different meanings.
I agree. Dislikes should be either removed or made neutral. Disagree isn't the same thing, but Dislike should be neutral like it. :p

• Agree
Reactions: ConstructionBoy

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Define "abused way too often."
People are rating the post dislike instead of disagree, clearly not understanding what that is the difference. Seen several posts that has got a ton of dislikes, just because the post says something that is against their opinion. I have also seen that a specific player disliked every single post that another player posted, doing nothing else than provoking.

What I mean is that the dislike rating does more harm than good.

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
The dislike rating, along with all the other ratings that can be administered to a user's posts are all used only to infer that particular user's personal opinion.
Each rating is there for a reason and used in a different situation, but it all comes down to a general sense: it is a way to express your opinion without wasting your, as well as other people's time by posting your remark in the thread in question.
With the idea that the dislike rating option is indeed an opinion: should we remove it, we are generally taking away the ability for a player to express his / her opinion on the matter, as if they merely state in the thread that they "agree" or "disagree," a scenario we have been seeing a bit recently, an operator, forum administrator, or normal user in question will, and have stated in a comment to the post stating this opinion, that there are ratings for such a use, and again, not wasting meaningless comments.
Example: I disliked the idea of the proposed idea by iiDeathCookies involving Gangnam Style. I had the ability to dislike the post instead of randomly stating how I did not like it; it just would not make much sense.

The original change from a "dumb" rating to a "dislike" rating was a sound move, and aloud the use of this particular rating a more wider berth of use. A player may dislike an opinion or post or thread in particular, but they may not always disagree with it. With the change, they were able to express their opinion better in certain situations instead of rating the situation as dumb, which for most cases, the post in question was not.

Honestly, I quite enjoy, and like the spectrum in which I am aloud to use the dislike option, as I would have never had used the dumb one prior to its change. Note: I both dislike AND disagree with the opinion of this thread in question, and I do wish I could rate it both, but as I am posting as well as posting a rating, I felt the disagree option was more reasonable.
Of course, many people may be rash and simply state the dislike option without thinking and use it in the wrong circumstances, but for the most part, we cannot stop that, both in terms of human nature, and the difficulty in moderating the idea. Just removing it is absurd, as it removes the ability to people who actually use it who would be without the ability to express an emotion or idea in an easier, and honestly, a lesser impact-ful expression.
The only few scenario's in which this can actually be removed, and has been already addressed, was in ban-appeals and such, so I do not feel this is suggestion is really needed.

Since people may want to make dislike into a neutral rating instead of a negative one, just let dislike remain a negative aspect, and perhaps the creation of a new rating would be in order: something on the lines of "skeptical" or the like.
I find the dislike option perfectly reasonable, and unless you give specific examples (though I find the situations in which it is abused slightly are normally the same), I don't think there are very many reasons not to keep it around and leaving the way things are.

Edit: I wrote this all out earlier when there were only a few posts, but it seems when I clicked "Post Reply" it didn't send, so when I posted this now without refreshing the thread, some of my responses may have already been stated or covered or out-of-date / whatever. Sorry for the inconvenience if that is the case.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
People are rating the post dislike instead of disagree, clearly not understanding what that is the difference. Seen several posts that has got a ton of dislikes, just because the post says something that is against their opinion. I have also seen that a specific player disliked every single post that another player posted, doing nothing else than provoking.

What I mean is that the dislike rating does more harm than good.
Sometimes, it can be held against them that they should have used Disagree.

But, sometimes, people just don't like what they said, so they put Dislike.

Though, I would have to agree that Dislike can be abused, but I disagree that it is being abused heavily enough for removal.

If we are to do anything about the rating, I would suggest making it neutral.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes, it can be held against them that they should have used Disagree.

But, sometimes, people just don't like what they said, so they put Dislike.

Though, I would have to agree that Dislike can be abused, but I disagree that it is being abused heavily enough for removal.

If we are to do anything about the rating, I would suggest making it neutral.
Agreed on the last one, I mean that if some one don't like your thread, it does not have to be negative more than the disagree is. The old and bad spelling ratings is ratings that are only negative.

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
I think I just had a thought revolving around people's thoughts about changing the rating from a negative rating to a neutral rating:

What would that actually change?
My response: It wouldn't really change anything.

Look at it, dislike is still a negative rating in some people's eyes, and people tend to get mad or aggravated either way when they see someone disagree's or dislike's a similar thing they like (such is the case that leads to a many of a flame war). It would still be considered a negative rating in others eyes.
The rating system in terms of positive/negative here on the forum can be considered, technically, "imaginary and hold no real purpose"
It does not serve much purpose without the negative/positive ratings as they express someone opinion without forcing them to form an irrelevant post, taking from what was stated earlier.

I can only see the positive / negative aspect of ratings as a bad thing if you are the particular type of person whom view the rating system a bit like a score, and in your time here on the forums, attempt to "rack up" as many positive ratings as possible. With this scenario, you could get extremely agitated, hurt, or mad, when a specific forum user marks a post you made with a negative forum rating.

Only in this, possibly extremely rare scenario, do I see the positive / negative rating scale any possible purpose, and I think it should probably appear as irrelevant to the discussion here involving a removal of the dislike rating, as after this thought, I don't really see it as a worry.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
'Guns don't kill people, people kill people.'
=
'Dislikes don't offend people, people offend people.'

Don't get rid of the instrument, teach the masses how to use the fucking thing, and your problem is solved.
Shinyshark
Pretty much what I've been thinking this entire time, but changing the individual people in the community is something that takes work, and effort on their end of the bargain. I've been trying to come up with different ways to deal with the problem, though, as I thought changing individual people would take some increased effort.

As for what JK's pointing out, he has a clear point; People will still take offense to Dislike, even if it's just a neutral rating.

I can't think of what else to do other than change it from -1 to 0, but feel free to come up with suggestions. It just seems to me that what we need to change is either how we think about it, or how we declare it.

Edit : *Facepalm* Do whatever you guys want with the rating.

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
Pretty much what I've been thinking this entire time, but changing the individual people in the community is something that takes work, and effort on their end of the bargain. I've been trying to come up with different ways to deal with the problem, though, as I thought changing individual people would take some increased effort.

As for what JK's pointing out, he has a clear point; People will still take offense to Dislike, even if it's just a neutral rating.

I can't think of what else to do other than change it from -1 to 0, but feel free to come up with suggestions. It just seems to me that what we need to change is either how we think about it, or how we declare it.
Global Announcement post seemed to fix the blind insulting of bronies when that stuff was popular. If something that big can be taken down by one post, why can't this? :p

• Optimistic
Reactions: Duffie

Gameprochampion

Got the moves like Jagger!
Reaction score
=

Don't get rid of the instrument, teach the masses how to use the fucking thing, and your problem is solved.
Shinyshark
We can't take away guns from everyone, we can remove the dislike button from everyone though. Two different scenarios, shouldn't be compared.

snowma

Dwarf
Donor
Reaction score
=

Shinyshark
THIS! It shouldn't be taken away because people are dicks about it. People should be taught how to use it correctly instead of using it because of a vendetta they have.

Also agree with the disagree button being neutral. It isn't a negative thing. It's just expressing your own opinion :3

Reactions: Draco12 and Duffie

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I can understand the sentiment since, a number of players who feel "wronged" will dislike a post out of emotion rather than any logical basis, however I think the problem is three-fold

a.) If you remove the rating, their outburst will mostly likely move into their post, rather than a rating. Which can end up considerably more.. ugly

b.) This promotes a community where, in essence, we end up protecting you to an absurd extent that can carry on upto banning swearing, light hearted jokes or such - it just has the capacity to carry on and on.

c.) Its the rotten apples argument, a few people ruining it for the masses. I'm not inclined to remove it because a handful abuse it, I would much rather deal with each case individually and warn said user/remove said rating if necessary.

To sum up part of my reasoning although i know it wasn't 100% the core reason you wanted, I present the following.

naturally, feel free to disagree. This is my personal opinion, I'm not going to veto the entrire idea.

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
To pick up on what Chillingworth said:

If you take offense or feel attacked by someone rating what you say 'Dislike', you should do a reality check upon your ego and / or internet personality.

If your post is rated 'Dislike' it says nothing about YOU, but much more about the person that rated, as it reflects THEIR position and opinion.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
The problem with the dislike rating, is that it is often given to the wrong kind of posts. People often tend to forget that minecraft is a game that also has a playerbase of 10-12 year old kids and dislike their posts to infinity because they simply don't understand something, instead of giving advice or just ignoring it. This is something that can and probably has scared of some of our players. The same goes for the bad spelling rating.
I'm not a fan of post rating anyway, especially not of negative ratings - They can be hurtful and usually do nothing good. I mean, I find it highly immature if you HAVE TO show that you dislike some posts with a dislike button, we also have a disagree button.
I think we should just get rid of all negative ratings - it just seems pointless, the positive ones however can be really nice to get.

Edit: About what Malcovent said, we didn't have ratings for a long time and I don't think it really stops outbursts. If someone is THAT mad, (s)he's probably going to post something bad anyway, not just press the dislike button. Currently it's mostly pressed as an I don't like what you said button which is very unnecessary to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.