Why Macs Aren't Bad

Willchill

Blocktopia's Official Octopus
Reaction score
If you configure a similar Windows computer with similar hardware (design materials included), the price isn't much, if any, cheaper.
Wow. Just, wow.

I spend 30 - 60 minutes writing up a post in this thread for people to blatantly ignore it?

My computer costs $200-$300 less than the mac I compared it with in the below spoilered post.
So, a few points from my hardware perspective.

Firstly....
"the hardware is great"

This is false. To show this, let's compare the top-model new 27 inch iMac, costing $2,499, to my latest computer, including accessories, at a cost of $2500 (this is in AUD by the way). I will also be comparing price-per-performance.

27 inch iMac:

Monitor: 2560x1440p (it's good for games that support this resolution if you have a good GPU, which the iMac does)
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 DIMMs (2 sticks of 4GB of RAM) at 1600MHz
CPU: 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (not sure if it's a Haswell, specs do not say :\)
GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M w/ 2GB of VRAM
Storage: 1TB, 7200RPM
Motherboard: Whatever Apple puts in there (I discuss this later in the post)
Case: Apple iMac standard case

My Rig:

Monitor: BenQRL2450H, 1920x1080p, refresh rate of 60Hz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-D3H

RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 DIMMs produced by Corsair
CPU: 3.4GHz Intel Core i5 4670K
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 w/ 3GB of VRAM
Storage: Main Storage (imporatant software, games, and Windows): 120GB SSD, Other Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 7200RPM
Case: ThermalTake Armour Revo Black
Keyboard: Spare/Old Microsoft keyboard
Mouse: Saitek Cyborg RAT 9
I also have extra cooling in my computer.

Cons of the/an iMac:
My computer would perform much better than the iMac. Firstly, you have a worse card running higher resolutions. Why is the card worse? The iMac's GPU has only 2GB of VRAM, which is crucial to rendering (displaying) high resolutions, whereas my GPU has 3GB. Also the model number on my GPU is higher than the iMac's. Superiority accepted.

iMacs also run hotter, since the components are more tightly packed inside the case. There is enough space in my case (without components) for 5-7 3-month-old babies. Good luck fitting that many kids into your iMac case.

The price. My computer would perform better, at a cheaper/similar price.

You don't know what they're putting into the computer. Apple could be using parts that cost $100 less than retail each. Since they don't specify what they actually include in their products, they could be charging you an extra $500 or so.

Pros of the/an iMac:

In-built (bundled) software.
It looks sleek, but at a cost (heat).
App Store (a con to some).
Compatibility (not entirely true, since it's only compatible with Apple Products.
Insert other things I cannot think of.

I feel as if Apple is becoming like Google. People my age use iOS devices because of two main reasons: 1. If you don't own one, you're not 'cool'. 2. There are a plethora of apps for a whole bunch of different reasons.

More developers develop stuff for iOS because there are more consumers. More consumers = more development. More development = more consumers. This is how Apple will conquer the world.

They also charge $100 to publish an application to the App Store and take 30% of all money transmitted through the App Store. MORE MONEY = MORE PRODUCTS = MORE CONSUMERS = MORE MONEY.
Also MORE PRODUCTS = MORE DEVELOPMENT = MORE CONSUMERS = MORE DEVELOPMENT = MORE PRODUCTS.

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?

Also, Linux for master race. Kthxbai

My computer can get > 4000 FPS running Minecraft 1.6.2, if you need screenshots, I would happily upload one. The mac I compared my computer to has less powerful parts, at an extra $300. Where does this extra $300 come from? Nowhere, it's all profit. Also, as mentioned in the spoilered post, Apple takes 30% of all money transferred through the App Store. So, with every Mac bought, Apple would make $500+ not including service fees if the user had the mac for 2 years and bought everything through the App Store.
This includes the App Store on mobile devices and iTunes on both types. Also, In-App-Purchases count as transactions through the App Store, so they take 30% from that.
Also, a developer has to pay $100 to publish their App onto the App Store, even if it is free.
For Apple to make $200 through the App Store, the user only has to spend $600, which isn't a large amount for someone who just spent $2500 on their latest computer, especially if you're going to be buying large media suites like Adobe collections, etc.

This includes the App Store on mobile devices and iTunes on both types. Also, In-App-Purchases count as transactions through the App Store, so they take 30% from that.

Derpy Spoilers. :<

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
I didn't mean for this thread to become an argument of which is better. For me, it'll always be Mac now that I've tried it and love it. I just wanted to show people that Mac isn't as bad as they think. Let's stop arguing and just accept the fact that they are both good and target different people.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
I read your post. I was talking about the MATERIALS. Aluminum is an example, of course.
What? You don't pay for just the materials to get a computer though... I don't even...

OBVIOUSLY WINDOWS HAS SO MUCH MORE FUNCTIONALITY
Obviously because you're admenpls. Non-admens can't have contacts, duh!
mcdonalds gives me the runs, im more of a wendy's guy myself
I used to be a wendy's guy, but then it happened. I don't advise trying a triple burger with double the meat.

I'm presuming this is supposed to be Nicholas Cage when he was in good films...
I'm pretty sure it's Nicholas Cage when he was on over priced computers. Not 100% though.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
You don't pay for the materials? Really? Yeah, the material cost is included in the price of the computer... Dunno what you're talking about.
What? You don't pay for just the materials to get a computer though... I don't even...
At this point, I'm starting to think you're just trolling. You're blatantly not reading what several people have said in this thread.

• Disagree
Reactions: RyanDodd

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
I am not trolling, you pay for the materials in the price of the computer. I don't even know what you're talking about, but okay. Anyway, I'd appreciate it if there was less arguing.
This thread was legit created to spur a discussion. It's not a closed case.
(I have no idea what he's getting at either, maybe he means to build a pc?)

Lupus_Stevens

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
I'm really not understanding why this thread was even created, if not to try and encourage some kind of discussion on the topic of the thread...? To back out now seems a little strange. And I must say, an aluminium chassis really doesn't make up the extra costs; you can purchase one for less than £150 quite easily. When considering the price of a computer, to refute the specifications is kind of silly, as these are the things that make up the value of the unit. The "user experience" is an abstract thing with no discernible "real" value, and one can charge essentially what one can get away with charging. Apple have managed to get away with charging a lot for this.

RyanDodd

Reaction score
I'm really not understanding why this thread was even created, if not to try and encourage some kind of discussion on the topic of the thread...? To back out now seems a little strange. And I must say, an aluminium chassis really doesn't make up the extra costs; you can purchase one for less than £150 quite easily. When considering the price of a computer, to refute the specifications is kind of silly, as these are the things that make up the value of the unit. The "user experience" is an abstract thing with no discernible "real" value, and one can charge essentially what one can get away with charging. Apple have managed to get away with charging a lot for this.
I made this thread to show that Macs aren't bad, not to create an argument over why Windows is better. I was simply wanting to point out that Macs aren't bad. For me, I will spend whatever it takes to get what is, in my opinion, the best overall computer for me.

So if user experience has no value, let's take a look at this:

Computer that has good specifications but is hard to use and has badly designed software or one that has slightly worse specifications but has great software and is easy to use.

For me, I'd pick the latter. Software experience is really what computers are all about now. Things have gotten powerful to the point that even phones can run applications that would have been considered "intensive" on computers less than 5 years ago which just tells you how powerful the computers must be--if used to their full potential by the software.

It's not really something that you said that made me say this, but I'd like to anyway. Considering that OS X is a whole different animal than Windows 7/8, comparing specifications isn't exactly fair. It's really how well the software can utilize the available memory, processor, and RAM that matters in day-to-day use. Realizing that OS X is quite different than Windows, you should realize that what is fast on a Mac may not be fast on Windows.

• Sad
Reactions: Jayfeather

Willchill

Blocktopia's Official Octopus
Reaction score
Computer that has good specifications but is hard to use and has badly designed software or one that has slightly worse specifications but has great software and is easy to use.
I prefer the first, and that is simply my preference. I have no issues when using Windows, heck, it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to print an image on a Mac, simply because I wasn't used to the whole "bar-at-the-top" thing (which, in my opinion, makes multitasking a bit slower).

Considering that OS X is a whole different animal than Windows 7/8, comparing specifications isn't exactly fair. It's really how well the software can utilize the available memory, processor, and RAM that matters in day-to-day use. Realizing that OS X is quite different than Windows, you shouldrealize that what is fast on a Mac may not be fast on Windows.
Statement No. 1: Although the two operating systems use the hardware differently, I still feel as though it is fair to compare specifications. Perhaps comparing the performance of software, games, etc. on a Mac to a Windows that has the exact same specifications could give us more precise results, however, the code is written differently (in another language, usually) and that could lead to lag that is caused by the software.
So, coming to the conclusion that there is really not much to compare that gives exact results, it's more or less about how you utilise the different environments.

Statement No. 2:
My previous post: "comparing the performance of software, games, etc. on a Mac to a Windows that has the exact same specifications could give us more precise results, however, the code is written differently (in another language, usually) and that could lead to lag that is caused by the software.
So, coming to the conclusion that there is really not much to compare that gives exact results, it's more or less about how you utilise the different environments."

kthx. c:

RyanDodd

Reaction score
Multitasking is done via multi touch gestures on the trackpad. And being experienced with both Windows and Mac, Windows is definitely more confusing to use.

And I don't even get the last part of what you posted.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Multitasking is done via multi touch gestures on the trackpad. And being experienced with both Windows and Mac, Windows is definitely more confusing to use.

And I don't even get the last part of what you posted.
The coding to make programs work causes Macs more issues (Slowness, incompatability)
[His words not mine]
[Atleast I hope that's what he's saying]

• Confusing
Reactions: RyanDodd