Why Macs Aren't Bad

hywel45

Reaction score
I do like the design of macs and the operating system, but I do think it shouldn't cost over £800 for a computer I could buy for around £500

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
I don't understand why you would buy a mac (absolutely not worth the extreme amount of money you pay for it) unless you do a lot of designing or art on the computer, then a mac may be worth it. The 2 big cons: price and bad game support, in my opinion, weigh far more than the pros you listed.
If you have the money, it's really a good choice in my opinion. Plus that link that Sploorky gave us is quite an interesting comparison of price.

Stretford01

Out of this World
Reaction score
"I have a mac." People will be saying things like "wtf" and "srsly wut?" But, I love my mac still.
It runs that I play (for now) quite well, and it's more durable.

Now, I have decided to invest money in building a pc, to get the other things. Macs aren't designed with gaming in mind, but they still work very well for the things you need!

Now, for the reasons for why I am doing this

My Mac:
  • Work
  • Social things
  • Everyday Use
  • Portability

Now for the pc that I will (hopefully) build:
  • Gaming
  • Music Editing
  • Music Making
  • General Windows Use
Every machine has its uses, and these are the reasons why I am doing this. Best of both worlds!
And also, plus side of macs is that you can run both oses legally, but I won't get into that! Everyone, when they hear Apple or Mac they think rip-off. Well, opinions differ, and we can see that from this thread!

Reactions: Suikae

Pikmon2

Reaction score
I would say, if you want a cheap computer don't even look at macs. You'll get very high prices, with not much upgrading available. I suggest, while I don't have it, is for cheaper, a hackintosh. It's a self built computer with Mac on it. Runs fine, but cheaper and you can change all the stuff on the inside since it uses a tower.

But if you want a computer that runs great, with little virus issues etc., then go with a mac. And if you need all them windows games, you can still buy windows 7 (or 8 if your weeeird) and install it with bootcamp, which runs windows, in my experience with XP, fantastic.

It has iMovie, which I used for videos for awhile, which is really nice and makes things look more professional. And if your into film/art, you should definitely get a mac.

Mac is very much for creativity and work (odd combination but very nice.) Although with the newest macs they were pushing gaming a bit more which is nice.

Mia

Reaction score
My cousin has a mac, and its alright I suppose but I started hating macs when it took me over 2 hours to find where to insert the disk. Yes OVER 2 hours. :p

I prefer windows because I know how to use it and know all the little bits and bobs to make it suitable to me. My cousin made my computer and I have never even thought about buying a mac as I just don't want to have to learn how to do everything again :p

Overall I don't hate macs but just really can't be bothered to put time and money in to give me the great gameplay I have with my pc.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
  • Apple owners are 3.4x more loyal than Microsoft owners when it comes to buying a new device
As Sploorky already said, you shouldn't be loyal to the company. This isn't a pro for you, it's a pro for them. They need to be loyal to you for it to be a pro.
  • Compatibility with iOS devices (over 500 million sold). Open a tab in Safari on your Mac, it's open on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch too. Download a song on one device, it downloads to the others. It's this compatibility that is the biggest selling point for me.
I have no problem doing this myself, this point doesn't sell me. If I download anything on one machine, it only takes a moment to move that file to a shared folder, usb drive, or just ftp it over to the next device, to transfer. It might be nice that it's done for you, but I can't imagine this being a selling point for me.
  • The App Store. This may seem like a negative point to some casual onlookers, but it's really a large positive. Yes, you can still download apps from other places but the App Store is an easy way to sort through the most popular applications.
I hear google is also an easy way to find apps. Or just about anything. Especially on a computer, this isn't a very good reason. I might understand on a smart phone or tablet though.
  • Bundled Software. iMovie, Garageband, and iPhoto blow the stuff included with Windows away. They are easy to use, look good while being used, and produce great results.
I mean, if you're griping about ms paint then what can I say? Paint.net is a free and infinitely better program you can download (as is gimp), and if you really care about having the best product then get yourself a legit copy of photoshop and be done with it. Software you didn't have to install is a really lazy reason to think something is superior. Nobody takes their car to a show and brags about the default parts it came with.
  • iTunes. Yes, many people hate iTunes. Quite a few love it too. Makes it easy to buy songs and have them download to all of your devices.
Really just a rehash of the app store and compatibility points. I bet it's a little more convenient, can't imagine it as a selling point.
  • iMessage. We all know someone who has an iOS device. I use iMessage all the time on my Mac so I can "text" my friends who have iPhones.
I used to "text" my friends by sending them messages on msn/trillian. This was back in like 2002, so apple is a good 10 years behind. There have also been websites that let you text people for many years.
  • Mac Design. Even if you absolutely hate Mac, you have to admit, the hardware is great. Unibody aluminum frame, backlit keyboards on the MacBooks, magnetic hinges, etc.
So you like it because it looks fancy? I'm fine with that, but it isn't a factor for me. I mean, we all play minecraft here, so clearly the best looking things aren't any of our top priorities at all. Backlit keyboards are available for pc's as well, and magnets on your computer, let alone near it, not the best idea.
  • Performance. This may be a bit of a touchy area here, but for most people, Mac performance is outstanding. The Mac I have is the Summer 2013 model 13" Macbook Air. I have gotten upwards of 200 FPS on Minecraft and this is supposed to be the "entry level" Mac (though it is actually faster than the Macbook Pro which hasn't been updated yet this year)
I have bad news for you here. Your hardware is literally the same that's available for pc's (though we may not have a ready list to get the exact machine made). Apple's things are built by the same (mostly) chinese companies that build all pc parts too. Literally, the exact same parts. Just a different brand. If you think your OS is performing faster than windows, that's debatable, but if it matters you can get linux builds with faster xwindows versions than either.
  • Battery life. Nearly all Macbooks have above a 5 hour battery life. The new 13" Airs have 10 hour battery life (yes, I have gotten that much on mine)
Battery life entirely depends on what you do. If you turn down power sucking settings and look at only one website at a time, then your battery will last a very long time. If you open 3 youtube channels and music, and don't tell the machine to take it easy on power, you'll lose it quick. My laptop lasts usually about 2 hours playing minecraft and music, and it's a 6 cell li-ion. It's also a number of years old now, and I'm sure newer batteries are better.
  • Software. I love OS X. It's so smooth getting around and all of the Multi-touch gestures are amazing. If I have to ever use a Windows laptop, I find myself trying to use gestures and I end up getting frustrated that it takes an extra .1 seconds out of my day to do something.
I think it's fair if you say that you prefer the apple software, but getting angry at not saving .1 seconds? Your life is in trouble if you think that's reasonable. I haven't yet worked for a business that supplied their employees with mac products. I've interviewed with one that supports apple tablets, but not computers or phones.
Many people will criticize this and that's fine, just know that Macs really aren't all that bad. Personally, I could never go back to Windows again.
Done and done. Macs aren't bad at all, the only grudges I hold against apple are their prices (and really, that's only in the computer area for me, because I haven't bothered to price out a smart phone or tablet) and their security policies. Everyone will have their preferences, and they're mostly entitled to them. Mostly.

with little virus issues etc.,
Let me know when apple has 90% of the market, or even above 40%, and we'll check back into that.

mariosatr

Imperator Romanus Sacer
Reaction score
If you configure a similar Windows computer with similar hardware (design materials included), the price isn't much, if any, cheaper.
I'd just like to add my input on this, considering I recently had a computer put together (because I'm too scrub to do it myself).

These were the parts:
AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz quad-core
AMD Radeon HD 6670 (alright it's not the best, but it works super well and the one I got had 3.9GHz so it's above par for 6670s as far as I'm concerned)
16GB RAM
1TB HDD
Windows 7 Genuine 64 bit
Price includes the tower and fan, but I can't remember what they were.

All for £575. I actually got it for around £350, because I used 8GB RAM, the graphics card, the hard drive and Windows from my old computer (because they weren't the malfunctioning parts), but this isn't too far from top end spec anyhow.

Compare it to this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-21-5-inch-iMac-Aluminium-silver/dp/B00AJGW95Y/
i5 quad-core 2.7GHz
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M
Again, tower/fan irrelevant for now.

For £1000. Not too shabby (probably not too far off a prebuilt Windows desktop), but there's a discrepancy, especially considering the spec difference.

If you're going to talk about Macs, don't talk about the specs. Unless you build a Hackintosh, you have to buy a pre-built Mac, and if you want cost efficiency for hardware, unless you want a really cheap computer (which you wouldn't buy Mac for that anyway), you almost never want to buy a pre-built computer. Windows are guilty of the same thing (the price of prebuilt computers above a certain spec), but you can buy the OS to put onto a computer, so you can build it yourself.

Even then, the Windows pre-built ones are a lot cheaper for practical use, too. I bought a £500 one initially for gaming, and its specs weren't too much worse to be fair, minus the GPU (Intel Graphics = horror), which I had to replace with the AMD Radeon HD 6670.

So if you're going to talk about Macs, you have to talk about software, my friend. :p

• Disagree
Reactions: RyanDodd

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
If you configure a similar Windows computer with similar hardware (design materials included), the price isn't much, if any, cheaper.
I specifically remember seeing apple charging an extra $160 for literally the exact same hard drive the last time I put specs together, the machines were very close to the same specs and had about $600 difference. I'll definitely take the machine that's $600 cheaper, that's a weekly paycheck or more for a lot of people.

Lupus_Stevens

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Ok, so over the past two months or so of owning a Mac, I've gotten a bit tired of people's 'sympothy' for me because I don't have Windows, so I decided to make this.
  • Apple owners are 3.4x more loyal than Microsoft owners when it comes to buying a new device
  • Compatibility with iOS devices (over 500 million sold). Open a tab in Safari on your Mac, it's open on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch too. Download a song on one device, it downloads to the others. It's this compatibility that is the biggest selling point for me.
  • The App Store. This may seem like a negative point to some casual onlookers, but it's really a large positive. Yes, you can still download apps from other places but the App Store is an easy way to sort through the most popular applications.
  • Bundled Software. iMovie, Garageband, and iPhoto blow the stuff included with Windows away. They are easy to use, look good while being used, and produce great results.
  • iTunes. Yes, many people hate iTunes. Quite a few love it too. Makes it easy to buy songs and have them download to all of your devices.
  • iMessage. We all know someone who has an iOS device. I use iMessage all the time on my Mac so I can "text" my friends who have iPhones.
  • Mac Design. Even if you absolutely hate Mac, you have to admit, the hardware is great. Unibody aluminum frame, backlit keyboards on the MacBooks, magnetic hinges, etc.
  • Performance. This may be a bit of a touchy area here, but for most people, Mac performance is outstanding. The Mac I have is the Summer 2013 model 13" Macbook Air. I have gotten upwards of 200 FPS on Minecraft and this is supposed to be the "entry level" Mac (though it is actually faster than the Macbook Pro which hasn't been updated yet this year)
  • Battery life. Nearly all Macbooks have above a 5 hour battery life. The new 13" Airs have 10 hour battery life (yes, I have gotten that much on mine)
  • Software. I love OS X. It's so smooth getting around and all of the Multi-touch gestures are amazing. If I have to ever use a Windows laptop, I find myself trying to use gestures and I end up getting frustrated that it takes an extra .1 seconds out of my day to do something.
Many people will criticize this and that's fine, just know that Macs really aren't all that bad. Personally, I could never go back to Windows again.

Also, a good friend of mine on here who also loves Macs is Pikmon2.

I must first say, I'm not an Apple hater at all, and actually have to use a macbook pro for my course, but some of these points seem a little flimsy to me. For a start, I'm not sure the loyalty of the consumer market makes much difference to the products themselves, certainly not at this point in the company's life at least, and while I also agree that iMovie, Garageband etc. beat their Windows counterparts for the most part, there are much better alternatives to both sets of software made by third parties. I wouldn't be caught dead using Garageband for any serious music production work, for example. These third party programs also tend to be available for Windows before they are for OSX, if ever.

The less said about iTunes the better, while it is a convenient program the amount of resources it occupies is absurd, to the point where I am constantly shutting it on and off to save memory for other applications. Some of the prices for media on the iTunes store are extortionate, and iTunes is also notoriously bad at releasing TV Series quickly that you have bought in advance. And again, while Mac computers often have rather nice specifications, the same specs could be met from a home-built rig for half the price, easily.

Reactions: Suikae

RyanDodd

Reaction score
I specifically remember seeing apple charging an extra $160 for literally the exact same hard drive the last time I put specs together, the machines were very close to the same specs and had about $600 difference. I'll definitely take the machine that's $600 cheaper, that's a weekly paycheck or more for a lot of people.
And that is fine, this isn't meant to be an argument. This is only meant to explain that Macs aren't as bad as most people think.

EDIT: I think the experience of the computer matters more than specs or anything. In my opinion, Macs give the best experience. This is why I'll never be able to go back to Windows again. As I've said numerous times though, everyone has their own opinion on these things.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
"Performance. This may be a bit of a touchy area here, but for most people, Mac performance is outstanding. The Mac I have is the Summer 2013 model 13" Macbook Air. I have gotten upwards of 200 FPS on Minecraft and this is supposed to be the "entry level" Mac (though it is actually faster than the Macbook Pro which hasn't been updated yet this year)" RyanDodd

becauseiforgottoquote

Last I checked actually, it has much lower RAM, and the same processor, so not quite faster.
As for itunes being a selling point, can't you get that on windows? I had it on my XP before, so I don't think that's a selling point. As for "mac users are more loyal", it may say that it is because the computer is so good, or it could have nothing to do with it they just like it, not true for all.

Anywho I'm not trying to take apart what you said, just saying maybe take those out and it'd be a bit better ;)

RyanDodd

Reaction score
"Performance. This may be a bit of a touchy area here, but for most people, Mac performance is outstanding. The Mac I have is the Summer 2013 model 13" Macbook Air. I have gotten upwards of 200 FPS on Minecraft and this is supposed to be the "entry level" Mac (though it is actually faster than the Macbook Pro which hasn't been updated yet this year)" RyanDodd

becauseiforgottoquote

Last I checked actually, it has much lower RAM, and the same processor, so not quite faster.
As for itunes being a selling point, can't you get that on windows? I had it on my XP before, so I don't think that's a selling point. As for "mac users are more loyal", it may say that it is because the computer is so good, or it could have nothing to do with it they just like it, not true for all.

Anywho I'm not trying to take apart what you said, just saying maybe take those out and it'd be a bit better ;)
It does actually beat the Pro in tests. It has an Intel Has well processor which is newer than the Pro's. When the Pro is updated though, of course it'll be faster.

Superchops

Reaction score
This is a little off-topic, but I hate it when people are arguing for Macs and mention the "sleek, polished look" of Apple products. It's just too subjective to use as a selling point for them. Everyone always says that Macs look much better, but I infinitely prefer Windows aesthetically. iOS vs Windows XP? Nooooo contest, in my opinion. That's not to say Windows is inherently better, it's to say that aesthetics don't really matter in an argument of hard specs.

• Agree
Reactions: Sploorky

Sploorky

Reaction score
This is a little off-topic, but I hate it when people are arguing for Macs and mention the "sleek, polished look" of Apple products. It's just too subjective to use as a selling point for them. Everyone always says that Macs look much better, but I infinitely prefer Windows aesthetically. iOS vs Windows XP? Nooooo contest, in my opinion. That's not to say Windows is inherently better, it's to say that aesthetics don't really matter in an argument of hard specs.
^^^

I'm all for sleek, cool looking stuff, but I'm not going to drop anything above $20 for it to look nicer, or have a specific brand name. Computers do functions, they don't project anything from their looks.

digi

-
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score

True, but gah dayum my Mac looks like Miranda Kerr in a ferrari wearing Chanel drinking Patron.

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
Mac is a fairly nice platform to have.
While I too criticize it from time to time (Mainly because i don't like apple in general anyways) everything must be able to stand up to public criticism if the platform wishes to continue. That is a basic rule for almost... anything actually! and companies (usually) take into account those criticisms in order to make more money, and a better product.

My absolutely main criticism for it is;
Obviously price.... because people these day's are poor! We need a low price & high quality product, not just something of high quality at a ridiculous price just so companies can take our money. (Apple is a major company that does this.)

Mac is also the platform favorite for hollywood movies because Apple pay's big money to get their product out there and known!
---------------------------------------

With the new release of Windows 8, and very low product rating (which i agree with) it gives Mac a current edge over windows, but i still prefer using Windows 7 to any Mac (Even if i had the money to truly buy a Mac) This is mainly due to my computer side-self.

Top programming languages today include easier use and interface on a Windows platform, obviously most languages will also work with Mac, it's generally accepted windows beats Mac in this category. Also, Government and Military usage of programming leans more toward windows than it ever does on a Mac. At the same time, windows is also starting to 'dry-out' due to Linux. Linux is the top platform for advanced computer science purposes. and in my opinion, will always be so.

These reasons, also take me away from ever using a Mac for technology purposes, even for common day-to-day usage.