Why Macs Aren't Bad

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
Multitasking is done via multi touch gestures on the trackpad. And being experienced with both Windows and Mac, Windows is definitely more confusing to use.

And I don't even get the last part of what you posted.
The coding to make programs work causes Macs more issues (Slowness, incompatability)
[His words not mine]
[Atleast I hope that's what he's saying]
That's not what he's saying necessarily, but I would like to point out that system resources are used pretty much the same at OS level for every OS. The difference is exactly what WillChill said, at software level, or more specifically how that software interfaces with the kernel. Everything breaks down to assembly language to talk to the kernel, and the efficiency is determined there.

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
I'd like to point out this one simple point that everyone keeps getting wrong: In day to day use, Macs are no slower than Windows. Now, there are exceptions to this of course, but getting around the operating system is no slower (and in many cases faster) than Windows. I think that people are only saying it is slow because they don't know how to use it. When you take time to learn both, the Mac wins in getting around the OS and in general speed.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to point out this one simple point that everyone keeps getting wrong: In day to day use, Macs are no slower than Windows. Now, there are exceptions to this of course, but getting around the operating system is no slower (and in many cases faster) than Windows. I think that people are only saying it is slow because they don't know how to use it. When you take time to learn both, the Mac wins in getting around the OS and in general speed.
I don't see that "everyone" has made that argument, nor is your rebuttal in any way useful. Your keyboard layout is slower than other designs, it exists because it was the fastest layout with the least chance of jamming your typewriter, and transitioned to computer use because of familiarity. Navigating the file structure of any OS is just as easy and quick with familiarity, especially if you set it up to be that way.

And none of this quantifies the "general speed" of a computer. The point I see you making is that user speed is faster on macs, which is entirely unproductive given that anyone's mileage will vary.

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
I don't see that "everyone" has made that argument, nor is your rebuttal in any way useful. Your keyboard layout is slower than other designs, it exists because it was the fastest layout with the least chance of jamming your typewriter, and transitioned to computer use because of familiarity. Navigating the file structure of any OS is just as easy and quick with familiarity, especially if you set it up to be that way.

And none of this quantifies the "general speed" of a computer. The point I see you making is that user speed is faster on macs, which is entirely unproductive given that anyone's mileage will vary.
Most people do not play processor intensive games. For those people, the Mac excels. Even for those who do, it's more than adequate. I will argue no further because there are some people who are dedicated to criticizing Apple and it's products. Those same people are more than likely argue that one platform is better than others. This is, however, not the case. As I've said before, Mac and Windows both have advantages and disadvantages. Windows, for me, had more disadvantages than advantages so I went with a Mac. I have not had one issue with my Mac so far, where on Windows there were constant freezes and just a general "clunky" feel about the entire OS. This is my opinion and as you said, of course it doesn't represent everyone. It's my opinion which is all that matters to me. Windows lovers will still get Windows, Mac haters will still criticize. I just hope that nobody thinks that Mac is a bad platform because it is not. On new Macs, OS X is nearly flawless. As many bad points that you throw at it, there are a dozen good points that come up. True, there are disadvantages, but everything in life had a downside.