Why does Blocktopia SMP keep changing names (Primordia, Jte, Elesium, Dusks of Discordia)?

icheesy

Reaction score
I was an active, blocktopia-loving member before the switch to Primordia.
Blocktopia SMP (what it was called back then) and Classic Zombie Survival were my game.

Anyhow, that was what, 2 or 3 years ago.
I've visited Blocktopia and their servers a couple of times between now and then. Something that I really noticed was that SMP keeps changing its name. Why?
I do understand people want something 'new' and 'creative', but don't you ever crave the same feeling you got when you tasted, say, a vanilla ice cream cone? Because now, people can't ever taste that same vanilla flavor, but they have to eat chocolate, strawberry, ect, and even flavors they don't necessarily like - black cherry, coffee, rainbow, ect..

I know I have no place to say this (as I just returned from my 2-3 year exit), but why not keep the same Blocktopia SMP, and add fan-request changes to that? That's moving on and shaping the SMP server to perfection.
I came back to Blocktopia to relive the SMP experience, yet I see something very different. Don't get me wrong, change is good, but if you change something too much, that vanilla icecream cone turns into a pineapple corn popsicle.

Yeah, but in no way I am angry, I'm curious to see why the Blocktopia chose to change names / server gameplay modes for SMP.

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
It's a ritual/initiation thing for each server director of each SMP. You see, the SMP server director of present day and the old SMP directors get together in a meeting and take on serious discussion on how the new server should be marketed to the Blocktopian constituents. They each make a strategic plan and present their idea. To decide which plan the new SMP director is supposed to follow they each remove one of their finger nails and throw the removed finger nail in the fire. The fire will glow the color of the SMP director with the best strategic plan and the new SMP director is supposed to follow it and it will bring prosperity and bountiful harvest to the new SMP. That's why the names are so varied.

icheesy

Reaction score
It's a ritual/initiation thing for each server director of each SMP. You see, the SMP server director of present day and the old SMP directors get together in a meeting and take on serious discussion on how the new server should be marketed to the Blocktopian constituents. They each make a strategic plan and present their idea. To decide which plan the new SMP director is supposed to follow they each remove one of their finger nails and throw the removed finger nail in the fire. The fire will glow the color of the SMP director with the best strategic plan and the new SMP director is supposed to follow it and it will bring prosperity and bountiful harvest to the new SMP. That's why the names are so varied.
I see, however, why do they decide to keep changing the names and ideas?
Why not shape one same SMP server month by month, creating a likewise flawless SMP server?

It's all the old SMPs and everyone's work that is thrown into the fire.

Reactions: IQD and Iggish

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
I see, however, why do they decide to keep changing the names and ideas?
Why not shape one same SMP server month by month, creating a likewise flawless SMP server?

It's all the old SMPs and everyone's work that is thrown into the fire.
Well generally the fire decides the plan that has the most optimal potential and the director of that time has to follow that strategic plan. Of course, factor into human error and that it's been detailed the length of the fingernail and how much skin attached also affects what color the fire is. So that honestly may affect who's strategy is used in the new SMP and whether or not the present SMP director is going to actually follow through the plan. It's more or so the director's are kinda testing waters and creating different variations to see what works and what does not. Sure the "perfect" server could be created maybe one day but Blocktopia's SMP server thrives on the diversity of the servers and new content that SMP director's have to offer.

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
Well we really have only had 3 SMPs with fancy names LoP, JtE, and currently DoD. We do this to make it more interesting rather then the boring SMP 26 etc. name. Also we try to add new features each SMP to give a fresh start to it and because of that we give them new names to assert unqueness.

JtTorso

Reaction score
Your (and everyone else's) desire for a vanilla SMP is out of pure nostalgia, you never hear new players begging for a vanilla server, we do have vanilla servers from time to time but really as filler for when other servers are absent, and then after a month or so only a couple people are playing and it's not the buzz people claimed vanilla severs were.

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: Duffie and RyanDodd

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Your (and everyone else's) desire for a vanilla SMP is out of pure nostalgia, you never hear new players begging for a vanilla server, we do have vanilla servers from time to time but really as filler for when other servers are absent, and then after a month or so only a couple people are playing and it's not the buzz people claimed vanilla severs were.
I have always really liked vanilla servers, the problem is that its so easy to lose interest after a bit.

• Thank You
  • Disagree
Reactions: Henry and Duffie

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
There's probably a more simple explanation but I will just do it as an comparison:
Years ago a company named Microsoft created a new device called a Computer running on their software made by them, during that time it was the newest of the newest and it had a thing that everyone liked: games. The developers decided to make a new software but they had to build it on the previous version because they were afraid of loosing their customers. So they build a new version on the weak foundation of Windows 3. The new pc Windows 95 had more errors because they built on the weak structure of Windows 3. It continues the same way: they had to build update after update on the weak structure of Windows 3 until they realized it was Shit. If a person would.start to look in the codes of the software of Windows 95 he will wonders why the developers built.it.on the weak structure of.Windows 3.

Summarized: the only way to keep the server popular is to renew it. If you keep building on making a perfect server for years it will become unstable and old. Renewal basically means afresh start, a clean board, a whole new server and a whole new popularity. Trying to get perfection is impossible so that's my perspective how i see it.

(The computer thing isn't entirely true but the moral is the same)
The computer thing is entirely untrue. Computers don't run on software, software runs on computers. Microsoft is not responsible for creating computers at all, though I don't remember offhand which company it was (probably the military, though I'm fairly sure IBM was responsible for personal computers). Microsoft got popular in the early days because of marketing (the best business applications worked on windows, which made things easier for non-computer people), nothing to do with games. Software is built independant of operating systems (though back then and probably in some backwards companies now they had to have different compilers to make it work on different OS'). And operating systems are not built on top of other operating systems. That would clog everything up beyond belief. The point of making major revisions is to improve things, so even if 95 were built on the code for 3.1, they would have started with improving the "weak structure". 95 was terrible for it's own reasons. Mostly to do with poor memory management and lack of garbage collection, in addition to almost a gigabyte of unused code (more than half the OS' size, iirc it was 1.5gb).

New OS' are made to address security issues and performance issues, and introduce new major features. It isn't a matter of popularity. They sell it because that's how you make money.

New smp's happen because we can do something different with them, and they generally come about when most people have lost any interest in the current one. The goal has never been to achieve perfection, it's to try something different and see how we like it.

Sploorky

Reaction score
If you're gonna hate because I don't know everything about computers then please go away or something, I just try to explain it the way that everyone understands. So go brag about your computer knowledge on some computer forum or something, It's just my perspective of seeing this server chancing
k bye

cheatyface read the spoiler
> calls someone out for "hating"
> proceeds to tell them to leave the forums and calls them a braggart
> ...
> ???

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
If you're gonna hate because I don't know everything about computers then please go away or something, I just try to explain it the way that everyone understands. So go brag about your computer knowledge on some computer forum or something, It's just my perspective of seeing this server chancing
k bye

cheatyface read the spoiler
The server closes in about 6 hours do we really need anymore drama before the shutdown? Please keep this thread civil guys...

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
The server closes in about 6 hours do we really need anymore drama before the shutdown? Please keep this thread civil guys...
Overruled by your fellow Controller, please senselessly continue bickering.

In all seriousness, you guys should just get on the server and duke it out, and then the server can go down the way it was meant to...

IN FLAMES

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
Blocktopia doesn't have a vanilla server because everyone and their grandmother does. Most people who want to play on one already have a preferred server.

If you want vanilla SMP, there are tons of servers for it. Don't make the community waste time or resources on it.
Only problem (imo) is that those servers are full of the bottom of the barrel, plague-end of the spectrum for minecraft players, who will generally burn a hole in your house, record it with hypercam 2 trial, commentate it, and put it on youtube. Can't really expect that too much with blocktopia though there're some horror stories