Why does Blocktopia SMP keep changing names (Primordia, Jte, Elesium, Dusks of Discordia)?

parquette

Reaction score
It may be due to trying to keep it sound interesting. You cant have the same server name over and over again, it wouldn't be right. I like all the different names every SMP has. They should name the next one Dawn of Shigaria.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
IT'S BECAUSE WE'RE ALL PRETENTIOUS

Well, I think we should host more events and add more stuff to the world and treat it more like an MMO (in terms of stuff like expansion packs and all that, not in buying [excuse my french] crap and all the other crap in MMO's). By that I mean try to keep it alive more than a year. Pretend we just spent a bunch of money and time on this new SMP and try to push it's survival. I dunno about you guys, but I would dislike if every every online game I got decided to stop support for it after a year and then was like "hey, now since you got all that cool stuff (or built all that cool stuff for minecraft) in that game you just got a year ago, we're stopping support for that and releasing a brand new game with a couple minor differences you won't really notice much. And you lose all your stuff."

My opinion:
Treat SMP like an MMO, not an EA Sports game.

Please don't pull the whole "well it's harder for new players to come i-", because I'm sure we can figure out a solution for that small of a problem.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
IT'S BECAUSE WE'RE ALL PRETENTIOUS

Well, I think we should host more events and add more stuff to the world and treat it more like an MMO (in terms of stuff like expansion packs and all that, not in buying [excuse my french] crap and all the other crap in MMO's). By that I mean try to keep it alive more than a year. Pretend we just spent a bunch of money and time on this new SMP and try to push it's survival. I dunno about you guys, but I would dislike if every every online game I got decided to stop support for it after a year and then was like "hey, now since you got all that cool stuff (or built all that cool stuff for minecraft) in that game you just got a year ago, we're stopping support for that and releasing a brand new game with a couple minor differences you won't really notice much. And you lose all your stuff."

My opinion:

Please don't pull the whole "well it's harder for new players to come i-", because I'm sure we can figure out a solution for that small of a problem.
Well our staff has other servers to maintain >.>

Edit: Also they have life. Its not like we have tens of devs.
Also these servers have microtransactions to pay devs too.

Last edited:

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Well our staff has other servers to maintain >.>

Edit: Also they have life. Its not like we have tens of devs.
Also these servers have microtransactions to pay devs too.
I said put in good content from MMO's. So that's like such a small amount it's fine for one dev. Well, at least with adding stuff for something like Minecraft, I mean.

Also, staff should prioritize then. We have an over abundance of staff on some servers (cough cough RoF) that staff multiple servers like DoD. If a server requires them to spend more time on it than another, then they need to work it out themselves which servers they should staff. If you can't handle staffing multiple servers, and/or can't do a full good job and are keeping people who really want to help out a server out because of too much staff, then don't staff that server.

• Sad
Reactions: Notme and Duffie

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
My opinion:

I disagree entirely.

You can't really compare our SMP server to an MMO. And what you've been saying is like we're throwing out a game, and bringing in a brand new one for everyone.

Minecraft doesn't have that long of a lifespan, when it comes to staying in a single world. There's a reason why servers like Shotbow's Hardcore Factions changes their maps every so often.

The idea of adding new things to the server every now and then, like an expansion pack, has been done before already. We got new dungeons, we got more stores around the world and equipment available to find in dungeons, and the Crimson attacked. All of this happened in DoD.

Sometimes, we just need a map change, and a simple restart. But some people like to experiment with things, and a lot of people ask too much out of them. This is probably why I'm completely fine with a vanilla server-- Because the next SMP server that comes out will probably be nothing like it, or to a degree, simply not the same, for better or for worse.

I don't know what the perfect server is, or what it contains, but I know what I find enjoyable... And I'm not so sure about what you've suggested. :p
No offense, if any was given. >, <

Pikmon2

Reaction score
I disagree entirely.

You can't really compare our SMP server to an MMO. And what you've been saying is like we're throwing out a game, and bringing in a brand new one for everyone.

Minecraft doesn't have that long of a lifespan, when it comes to staying in a single world. There's a reason why servers like Shotbow's Hardcore Factions changes their maps every so often.

The idea of adding new things to the server every now and then, like an expansion pack, has been done before already. We got new dungeons, we got more stores around the world and equipment available to find in dungeons, and the Crimson attacked. All of this happened in DoD.

Sometimes, we just need a map change, and a simple restart. But some people like to experiment with things, and a lot of people ask too much out of them. This is probably why I'm completely fine with a vanilla server-- Because the next SMP server that comes out will probably be nothing like it, or to a degree, simply not the same, for better or for worse.

I don't know what the perfect server is, or what it contains, but I know what I find enjoyable... And I'm not so sure about what you've suggested. :p
No offense, if any was given. >, <
You could've just stopped at "minecraft doesn't have a long lifespan" B)

Okay, so I know about the dungeons and stuff. But that's like bite sized content with these kinda people. I'm talk'n about like adding entire other realm. Like the Aether sort of deal. Add whole new places and make them feel alive well crafted (bud-um tish). Now, I've never played the dungeons, but if it's length is like a dungeon in Torchlight or something that's not enough content for a major update. I'm not saying they are bad in general, though!

But if they keep adding this fancy shmancy stories and stuff, you'd think they'd want to keep them going longer than just a year. Another look at the MMO: They add more to the story to keep it going as well. They do do this with SMP already, but not enough. It honestly feels really weak and like it's barely in even existent. If your gonna have a story, add to it and continue it- if your just gonna write a couple paragraphs every few months and call it day you mine as well not have a story at all. It just feels empty.

Another thing: IMMERSION. There is none. This was something I loved about Solitude. I got put into the feeling of "this is a post apocalyptic world". It let you continue the story, but sort of set up the rules and boundaries so it still worked (low amount of wood, not much material for lighting, low enough materials to make some fantasy castle not able to survive with ease to keep the mood and such). There is none in any of the SMP's. I'm not saying we need roleplay, 'cause obviously that'd get kind of annoying. But, we need something to give it immersion, other than just "uh uh you can play minecraft with friends and it has a name that might lead you to think it has a bunch of different stuff in it but it's actually just SMP with a couple changes here and there."

I hope my rambling made any sense at all. Also, I didn't take any offense by what you said, for reference.

• Thank You
Reactions: IQD and JKangaroo

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
I dunno about you guys, but I would dislike if every every online game I got decided to stop support for it after a year and then was like "hey, now since you got all that cool stuff (or built all that cool stuff for minecraft) in that game you just got a year ago, we're stopping support for that and releasing a brand new game
You have a completely absurd look at how we staff these servers that I personally take offense to. Then again Im not really suprised because I really have never seen you on the server seemingly if you were to have such strong opinions on this you would have to participate? Or is that just me?

We as staff members do not give up support for our server (ever the whole dod team worked are butts off until literally the last hour of Discordia to run events). We carry it out and drag it out as long as posible desperately trying to keep it alive but, never give up on it. Its not that we don't support it its that the playerbase doesn't which of course is fine if they want something new we will of course provide it.

minor differences you won't really notice much. And you lose all your stuff."
Yeah you really never have played SMPs have you? Minor differences, really? JtE had extremely major differences from the SMP before it and DoD though it had less changes admittedly did have some, a lot actually considering it was only meant to last a few months as a fill in server.

Is it really that easy to come up with a solution to this? Because I have been staffing smps for quite a long time now and I know several staff members who have been staffing longer then me. No blocktopia admin has ever found a way to keep a server going longer then a year without completely dragging it into the ground and straining the life out of it.

Apologies for the slight rant it annoys me that you see things like this when its the complete opposite of what we try to do. Im not sure if this post of yours was directed towards the staff team but, it sure seemed it so I felt I needed to respond.

std1997

Stitch
Donor
Reaction score
We have an over abundance of staff on some servers (cough cough RoF) that staff multiple servers like DoD
Do you even play RoF? cause I mean you've complained a considerable amount about RoF staff but I have NEVER seen you online so I'm finding it a bit difficult to see where you're finding your basis for your constant complaints.

Last edited:

Pikmon2

Reaction score
You have a completely absurd look at how we staff these servers that I personally take offense to. Then again Im not really suprised because I really have never seen you on the server seemingly if you were to have such strong opinions on this you would have to participate? Or is that just me?

We as staff members do not give up support for our server (ever the whole dod team worked are butts off until literally the last hour of Discordia to run events). We carry it out and drag it out as long as posible desperately trying to keep it alive but, never give up on it. Its not that we don't support it its that the playerbase doesn't which of course is fine if they want something new we will of course provide it.

Yeah you really never have played SMPs have you? Minor differences, really? JtE had extremely major differences from the SMP before it and DoD though it had less changes admittedly did have some, a lot actually considering it was only meant to last a few months as a fill in server.

Is it really that easy to come up with a solution to this? Because I have been staffing smps for quite a long time now and I know several staff members who have been staffing longer then me. No blocktopia admin has ever found a way to keep a server going longer then a year without completely dragging it into the ground and straining the life out of it.

Apologies for the slight rant it annoys me that you see things like this when its the complete opposite of what we try to do. Im not sure if this post of yours was directed towards the staff team but, it sure seemed it so I felt I needed to respond.
I played the past 3 (I think SMP's), besides the newest one. Well. Technically I played it, but not for very long.

I meant give up support when it ends and moves onto the next server. Honestly, I'm not sure why you took it that way. I didn't mean to be rude to the staff, nor was I trying to say they are doing a "bad" job. I do not think they are doing a bad job at all. I was saying they could do a "better" job if anything.

As for the minor differences, I stand by this. I never noticed major differences in the core gameplay. PVP or not. It felt the same (Talking about JTE vs the one prior to that). And with DOD I never really saw enough change to go to it. When ever I would look at it, it just seemed like JTE 1.5. It didn't do enough to change it up. I feel like a map reset for JTE would've worked just as well.

As for a solution idea: Give people starting kits after a certain point. One that changes so it has basic enough tools so they aren't already spoiled with stuff, but where they can more easily go in with the current most common tools. Say, a month after the start, give some wooden tools. A little bit later make it a full set. Then later make it have some stone tools. Then make it a full stone set. Then give some leather armor, and so on.

I'm not saying that idea is perfect, but there is an idea.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
All I'm going to say is that SMPs prior to Primordia were, in my opinion, by far the better. Sure I might be banned from the current one but that is because it's not worth playing and I just thought if people still actually played it and by my surprise people did; for those who read "not worth playing" and rip into me about how I'm a dick because I got banned for griefing etc etc, you're taking it in the wrong way - I mean it isn't worth playing as there is never really anyone online, I think maybe once a blue moon is there ever a playercount over 10, RoF is by far the most popular server because in my opinion, is the only server that players go on, so other players join and are like "Hey, this has people on so I'll play this because otherwise I'll get bored".

Every SMP after Primordia has basically been the same, yes there were different plugins, but that didn't change a thing.. it had the usual 2-4 week hype and bam, it was as dead as the previous SMP was for 6 months before it got a reset into yet another "AMAZING AND BRAND NEW SMP" which did exactly the same again; it's a repetitive cycle that from what I've noticed is due to a decline in players probably because of this cycle, a never ending loop if you will. I like that Blocktopia has expanded to a GMOD gametype to play on because that can bring in a whole new playerbase, which I feel is now needed.

For everyone who is going to disagree with me, please ask any long standing member who is confident in admitting that the current playerbase is very slim compared to what it used to be, I realise players are probably ignoring that fact because Blocktopia has become a "second family" if you will, but repeatedly bringing out the same SMP with different plugins over and over again is not going to solve the problem. What Blocktopia needs imo is to expand into different areas of gaming, or to revolutionize the whole "smp" concept, bring out something that has never been seen before and actually commit to advertisements, because this is the problem, staff complain that we need more money to pay for advertisements but the donations are struggling to be filled, but the point is the larger the playerbase the more donations you will get, so paying for advertisements will be rewarded with more donations which in the long run could be a HUGE benefit to the community simply because that would mean the donations cap could be raised to pay for more servers on different gaming platforms, different games, or on minecraft to provide a larger server dedication for better gameplay.

Just my two cents, bit of a ramble.

• Agree
Reactions: IQD

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
All I'm going to say is that SMPs prior to Primordia were, in my opinion, by far the better. Sure I might be banned from the current one but that is because it's not worth playing and I just thought if people still actually played it and by my surprise people did; for those who read "not worth playing" and rip into me about how I'm a dick because I got banned for griefing etc etc, you're taking it in the wrong way - I mean it isn't worth playing as there is never really anyone online, I think maybe once a blue moon is there ever a playercount over 10, RoF is by far the most popular server because in my opinion, is the only server that players go on, so other players join and are like "Hey, this has people on so I'll play this because otherwise I'll get bored".

Every SMP after Primordia has basically been the same, yes there were different plugins, but that didn't change a thing.. it had the usual 2-4 week hype and bam, it was as dead as the previous SMP was for 6 months before it got a reset into yet another "AMAZING AND BRAND NEW SMP" which did exactly the same again; it's a repetitive cycle that from what I've noticed is due to a decline in players probably because of this cycle, a never ending loop if you will. I like that Blocktopia has expanded to a GMOD gametype to play on because that can bring in a whole new playerbase, which I feel is now needed.

For everyone who is going to disagree with me, please ask any long standing member who is confident in admitting that the current playerbase is very slim compared to what it used to be, I realise players are probably ignoring that fact because Blocktopia has become a "second family" if you will, but repeatedly bringing out the same SMP with different plugins over and over again is not going to solve the problem. What Blocktopia needs imo is to expand into different areas of gaming, or to revolutionize the whole "smp" concept, bring out something that has never been seen before and actually commit to advertisements, because this is the problem, staff complain that we need more money to pay for advertisements but the donations are struggling to be filled, but the point is the larger the playerbase the more donations you will get, so paying for advertisements will be rewarded with more donations which in the long run could be a HUGE benefit to the community simply because that would mean the donations cap could be raised to pay for more servers on different gaming platforms, different games, or on minecraft to provide a larger server dedication for better gameplay.

Just my two cents, bit of a ramble.
I do not quite get what you are suggesting regarding SMP here, are you suggesting that we stop with SMPs?

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I do not quite get what you are suggesting regarding SMP here, are you suggesting that we stop with SMPs?
Not stop, but find a compromise that can please all players, because I saw a reply on this thread saying how we are doing a new SMP to please players, yet why is there never one that does please players? There are ones that players are like "oh I loved <insertsmphere> it was my favorite" but there is never an smp that every player, or the majority, agrees was one of if not the best smp, which could hold potential to bring life back into the smp area because yes they are popular on re-release, but that isn't popular because people are enjoying it so to speak, it is popular because it is 'new server hype' which every server released gets, just look at tnt, it was very popular for about 2 months then it died and closed, same for A&T, everyone wanted it back but it was probably the worst re-release I've seen, apologies if that offends any staff that put time and effort into it, thanks for trying at least, but people need to realise when something just isn't working.

• Informative
Reactions: EggNog

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
Not stop, but find a compromise that can please all players, because I saw a reply on this thread saying how we are doing a new SMP to please players, yet why is there never one that does please players? There are ones that players are like "oh I loved <insertsmphere> it was my favorite" but there is never an smp that every player, or the majority, agrees was one of if not the best smp, which could hold potential to bring life back into the smp area because yes they are popular on re-release, but that isn't popular because people are enjoying it so to speak, it is popular because it is 'new server hype' which every server released gets, just look at tnt, it was very popular for about 2 months then it died and closed, same for A&T, everyone wanted it back but it was probably the worst re-release I've seen, apologies if that offends any staff that put time and effort into it, thanks for trying at least, but people need to realise when something just isn't working.
I think the majority will agree that JtE/Primordia were their favorites. Not everyone mind you, granted pvpers liked the classic SMPs with full pvp. What you're saying here is to find something that everyone likes which sorry to break it to you is impossible the SMP playerbase is half PvE player half PvP its extrmely hard to make them both happy which actually I feel DoD did a decent job of doing compared to other ones like JtE. Point is I really do get what you're saying but, I think it is impossible/near impossible to please everyone. The majority of people? Yeah, we can do that. We've done that. But everyone? I wish it would but, that just won't happen sadly.

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I think the majority will agree that JtE/Primordia were their favorites. Not everyone mind you, granted pvpers liked the classic SMPs with full pvp. What you're saying here is to find something that everyone likes which sorry to break it to you is impossible the SMP playerbase is half PvE player half PvP its extrmely hard to make them both happy which actually I feel DoD did a decent job of doing compared to other ones like JtE. Point is I really do get what you're saying but, I think it is impossible/near impossible to please everyone the majority of people yeah we can do that. We've done that. But everyone? I wish it would but, that just won't happen sadly.
I've played a server before, I can't remember the name but a tweak I thought of to their smp was that Blocktopia could create an smp that uses level up abilities to access new areas of the maps. For example let's say you're a 'Wonderer', you can only access certain areas of the map in the nether and overworld until you level up to the next rank, which could cost money from trading with players and selling to shops.

Each new area accessed would grant the availability of those advanced players to make a profit while other players cannot access the resource, for example, a blaze rod could be only accessed by a rank three player and could be sold at the shops for $450 per 16, and the next rankup could cost $1,000,000, so players that can access it can grind them and sell them to players who don't want to make the extra effort for $1,000 per 16 instead. I've noticed a lot of servers with economy, that use a roleplay and pvp as an essence to advance in the server last for a very long time.

I know players love to pve too, but that could be the main aspect of the level 1 areas.. level 2 - level ? could be pvp areas as they are the areas that may require risk to gain the items that make you money so you can advance, dungeons could be more of a risk to enter rather than a challenge, because I've noticed players enter dungeons and bish bash bosh the boss is done and that's it, while these could be solo dungeons that require you to attack it for a greater reward whereas attacking it in groups could split the total wealth of the reward between the group because it required more players to kill, an example would be loot-share worlds on runescape when you go to godwars, if let's say an AGS hilt was dropped with a value of 40M, split between 10 people would be 4M..

What I'm trying to say it I am yet to see an old SMP combined with another old SMP, because I'm sure there is a combination out there that could potentially arise to be named as "one of the best" rather than "yet another".

Reactions: Notme and EggNog

parquette

Reaction score
No Emo. I don't even know what you're talking about. I was just noting down a possible reason for the name changes. And the name was only a suggestion........

BanSwift

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
I've played a server before, I can't remember the name but a tweak I thought of to their smp was that Blocktopia could create an smp that uses level up abilities to access new areas of the maps. For example let's say you're a 'Wonderer', you can only access certain areas of the map in the nether and overworld until you level up to the next rank, which could cost money from trading with players and selling to shops.

Each new area accessed would grant the availability of those advanced players to make a profit while other players cannot access the resource, for example, a blaze rod could be only accessed by a rank three player and could be sold at the shops for $450 per 16, and the next rankup could cost $1,000,000, so players that can access it can grind them and sell them to players who don't want to make the extra effort for $1,000 per 16 instead. I've noticed a lot of servers with economy, that use a roleplay and pvp as an essence to advance in the server last for a very long time.

I know players love to pve too, but that could be the main aspect of the level 1 areas.. level 2 - level ? could be pvp areas as they are the areas that may require risk to gain the items that make you money so you can advance, dungeons could be more of a risk to enter rather than a challenge, because I've noticed players enter dungeons and bish bash bosh the boss is done and that's it, while these could be solo dungeons that require you to attack it for a greater reward whereas attacking it in groups could split the total wealth of the reward between the group because it required more players to kill, an example would be loot-share worlds on runescape when you go to godwars, if let's say an AGS hilt was dropped with a value of 40M, split between 10 people would be 4M..

What I'm trying to say it I am yet to see an old SMP combined with another old SMP, because I'm sure there is a combination out there that could potentially arise to be named as "one of the best" rather than "yet another".
When was the last time you bossed and loot shared :confused:. They changed it to 120 shards, so everyone can sell their split and u don't get over the top cash splits,instead you sell you sharda you earned and sell them (combine 120 to create the item).

Either way this limits the gameplay so I doubt it'd be introduced.

Txboy1234

Reaction score
Without making a long comment I think I can say that it's what makes Blocktopia unique, it didn't matter what server they made SMP people always liked it even if there were things in it they didn't want in it. Sure zombie isn't like classic as I wanted it to be but it never will be and it can't be just because of the way premium works. There is a reason Blocktopia is still going since 2009, there is a reason they have never had donor ranks. That they have never closed down. They listen to the community because they are the community.

Everything is unique here and that's why each new server made here is made with a unique name. They might change quite often but I certainly know that 5 years from now, everyone here is going to remember all the server names.

• Love
Reactions: JKangaroo

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
When was the last time you bossed and loot shared :confused:. They changed it to 120 shards, so everyone can sell their split and u don't get over the top cash splits,instead you sell you sharda you earned and sell them (combine 120 to create the item).

Either way this limits the gameplay so I doubt it'd be introduced.
Back when it was actually fun and not ruined :p but I don't see how it would limit gameplay, the more you progress the higher you rank, which allows you to progress further to rank up even more, It's more of a never-ending cycle than anything.

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen I believe this thread has run its purpose, its devolved into bickering and arguing and conjecture about what does, will not, may, possibly and so on forms of work for the interim of the server closure and time for a rehash and rename.

If you would like to talk about what features, structure and premise you believe best entails a server to last indefinitely beyond the usual expiration date there is a thread open right over here to brainstorm and such.