Why Colonize Mars?...

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I feel as though the science teachers at my school are forcing this down our throats. We had to do an entire project last year on colonizing Mars, and scientists are buzzing around thinking it can be done.

My Opinion: it would be a waste of money. Even with the proper technology, it would probably cost a huge sum of money to make spacecraft and structures on the planet, not to mention that if there's one accident, you're dead.

What do you think about all of this planetary colonization stuff?

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
But we're worrying about it now. A time where colonizing another planet isn't possible.

Work or not, a lot of money will be used up for a colonization project for technology and for the people that make it, etc etc etc.

Earth won't be wiped out for a while people.

BTW I find it incredibly ironic about the topic post's name and my name hmm?

eviltomb

Reaction score
I think that we should be making technology that can create energy and resources before we start thinking of colonizing. I get the feeling that the whole colonizing thing is to try to escape dwindling resources and the prospect of reaching out into the unknown to claim it as our own. just as humans sailed across the sea, now we begin to sail the endless ocean called space. i'll stop typing now before i get too political and philosophical and some other long p word.

Gamer_740

Reaction score
I do think we would need to colonize a new planet soon due to way to much people being born. We soon may become over populated and need to move to another plant or we just mite destroy Earth with Global Warming and Pollution

Also You made a new story about this Topic :D

DarthLego5679

That n00b.
Reaction score
Website
store.steampowered.com
Why colonize Mars? Because it's there.
Will it be hard? You bet. Radiation on the long trip there, radio communications will take 20 minutes one-way, and the fact that our spaceships are way too small currently to move sizable amounts of anything. Things might come along that will change these problems, but for right now they are major stumbling-blocks.

• Agree
Reactions: Defiant_Blob

BurnyBurn

Reaction score
Why colonize Mars? Overpopulation and if something catastrophic happens here then we'll have a place to go.
It's not as far away as you think, Marskid.

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Overpopulation will come before we'll be able to get any planetary colonization done, I have a few theories as to what will most likely happen but I don't think I should list them.

As a few of you have said, we're wasting our resources on this planet. How can we be so certain that we'll have plenty of resources to get to the colonization process, to get the technology? Our resources at that time will most likely be wasted or being used up quickly, or gone in general.

torty

Reaction score
My view:

Considering the current rate of development within countries, there will be a significant increase in the population, but not enough to totally eradicate the planet. Currently we could fit the whole of the world, 7 billion people, on to the Isle of Skye in Scotland, a small island with very little space. There is a lot of our planet which can by terraformed and yet is still out there to be exploited, like... Antarctica?

Research has shown recently that many countries populations and fertility rates are slowly plateuing, with this, no over population in the near future will be apparent, in fact, if this rate of growth continues, we will kill ourselves before the population becomes to high, mainly due to disease and starvation, but at this current time, very little is hapenning. Lack of resources maybe? Not particularly, with the amount of food being processed by the world, it is easily enough to feed everyone, the only reason there is famine, is corruption and greed and human ignorance, and with that, human ignorance would compromise a lot on Mars, such as policies to protect and own land. It's hapenning in Antarctica, so will Mars be any different?

We have new pioneering science and technology to improve world energy supplies, currently in Scotland wave technology can provide small towns with vast energy supplies from one single unit, use of this in LEDC countries such as Nigeria or India will give those less fortunate something that they can help lower their death rates and birth rates with better healthcare etc.

Back on topic a little bit, the world will end, in hmmmm lets see, 5 billion years time (or Dec 2012, 50:50 chance). That is a looooooooooooooooong time to wait, a long time to evolve, a long time to adapt. perhaps in the future Mars and other planets will be in our reach, but really to colonise Mars would be more scientific, not a civilisation, but research points for life and extra terrestrial life, like in, well... Antarctica. Perhaps if we want to survive the end, lets move out of our solar system? This will be inpossible in my lifetime, and many more to come, but perhaps we can do it, and Mars will be the first step in a huge journey for human kind.

For those who don't want to read :p

We could go to Mars, but in the current climate and financial situation, what is the point other than to expand our knowledge. Thing is, there is still so much to discover about ourselves and our planet. Lets sort our own world out, before seeking others to plunder, destroy and then leave... I agree that it should be done, but not now, later, I want to enjoy this world before discovering another.

Toodles
Torty

• Agree
Reactions: Notme

paceboys

Reaction score
My view:

Considering the current rate of development within countries, there will be a significant increase in the population, but not enough to totally eradicate the planet. Currently we could fit the whole of the world, 7 billion people, on to the Isle of Skye in Scotland, a small island with very little space. There is a lot of our planet which can by terraformed and yet is still out there to be exploited, like... Antarctica?

Research has shown recently that many countries populations and fertility rates are slowly plateuing, with this, no over population in the near future will be apparent, in fact, if this rate of growth continues, we will kill ourselves before the population becomes to high, mainly due to disease and starvation, but at this current time, very little is hapenning. Lack of resources maybe? Not particularly, with the amount of food being processed by the world, it is easily enough to feed everyone, the only reason there is famine, is corruption and greed and human ignorance, and with that, human ignorance would compromise a lot on Mars, such as policies to protect and own land. It's hapenning in Antarctica, so will Mars be any different?

We have new pioneering science and technology to improve world energy supplies, currently in Scotland wave technology can provide small towns with vast energy supplies from one single unit, use of this in LEDC countries such as Nigeria or India will give those less fortunate something that they can help lower their death rates and birth rates with better healthcare etc.

Back on topic a little bit, the world will end, in hmmmm lets see, 5 billion years time (or Dec 2012, 50:50 chance). That is a looooooooooooooooong time to wait, a long time to evolve, a long time to adapt. perhaps in the future Mars and other planets will be in our reach, but really to colonise Mars would be more scientific, not a civilisation, but research points for life and extra terrestrial life, like in, well... Antarctica. Perhaps if we want to survive the end, lets move out of our solar system? This will be inpossible in my lifetime, and many more to come, but perhaps we can do it, and Mars will be the first step in a huge journey for human kind.

For those who don't want to read :p

We could go to Mars, but in the current climate and financial situation, what is the point other than to expand our knowledge. Thing is, there is still so much to discover about ourselves and our planet. Lets sort our own world out, before seeking others to plunder, destroy and then leave... I agree that it should be done, but not now, later, I want to enjoy this world before discovering another.

Toodles
Torty
I was about to reply TL;DR then i saw ^
Thanks for that, btw
I think that colonizing on mars wouldnt work, partially because we dont have the technology. also, it would be a waste of money
So, yeeah.

• Agree
Reactions: torty

The Phantom

Mr. Sexy Cobblestone
Reaction score
I think the only celestial body worth colonizing at the moment would be the moon. I say this because the moon apparently contains a great deal of Helium-3, an element which has incredible potential when it comes to the future of nuclear fusion.

Apparently about a ton of it could power the Earth for at least a year. Correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm not the most educated on the subject. ;)

However, this would still be a very expensive prospect, and I think we should focus more on solving problems on our own planet before deciding to venture off into the Heavens... And when we do decide to colonize in space, I hope it's conducted in an entrepreneurial manner that's headed by the private sector. We deal with enough government bureaucracy on Earth, after all!

• Agree
Reactions: torty

torty

Reaction score
I think the only celestial body worth colonizing at the moment would be the moon. I say this because the moon apparently contains a great deal of Helium-3, an element which has incredible potential when it comes to the future of nuclear fusion.

Apparently about a ton of it could power the Earth for at least a year. Correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm not the most educated on the subject. ;)

However, this would still be a very expensive prospect, and I think we should focus more on solving problems on our own planet before deciding to venture off into the Heavens... And when we do decide to colonize in space, I hope it's conducted in an entrepreneurial manner that's headed by the private sector. We deal with enough government bureaucracy on Earth, after all!
The only problem is fusing the helium, lots of energy would be required to do so in the first place for the correct temperature of the centre of the sun (the is would extremely expensive but is being done, slowly) unfortunately, but yes, in theory it would supply vast amounts of energy :)

• Agree
Reactions: The Phantom

The Phantom

Mr. Sexy Cobblestone
Reaction score
The only problem is fusing the helium, lots of energy would be required to do so in the first place for the correct temperature of the centre of the sun (the is would extremely expensive but is being done, slowly) unfortunately, but yes, in theory it would supply vast amounts of energy :)
True! But like I said, "incredible potential"... We still have a long way to go! ;)

Specter2k11

Haunting People Since 2011
Reaction score
Earth : In Progress of Destruction
Mars : Planned for colonization
Other Planets : meh.

After the mars colonization...

Earth : Destroyed
Mars : In Progress of Destruction
Other Planets : Planned for colonization

Just admit it. we're just dangerous destructive planet saps.

mariosatr

Imperator Romanus Sacer
Reaction score
I have split views. I think we have until 2040 to fix our problems on Earth. 2040 is the predicted year when global temperatures would go above 2 degrees Celsius, the maximum "safe" temperature decided at a meeting in Copenhagen in 2008. We can turn it around at this point and prevent global temperatures from reaching this high.

If it goes beyond this, Earth will be on the road to turning into a desert planet; after this, there is little chance, if not absolutely no turning back. If this happens colonizing Mars won't be just an option, it will be the vital and only option, with terraforming the Moon.

Would it be hard? Certainly. But if it would be our only option then we would have to at least try to do it. It would be better than sitting on a desert planet.