Villagers in 1.3

hihihilolHI

Reaction score
I've been thinking, and I realized that villagers will be valuable in 1.3. Say you get a villager who offers to enchant your diamond sword with sharpness III for 4 emeralds, he would be extremely useful, and could be stored away by a guild or person. I think villagers should be accorded livestock status, so killing someone else's is greifing. If this has already been suggested, or done, or is somehow irrelevant, please disregard this thread.

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
I believe it's been said villagers will be disabled. Because they can make players way too OP from their trades, countless amounts of times with just emeralds (which are easier to find than diamond) - depending on their trades of course. - However i could be wrong, it's just what i've heard.

DaniNomsYou

Reaction score
I believe it's been said villagers will be disabled. Because they can make players way too OP from their trades, countless amounts of times with just emeralds (which are easier to find than diamond) - depending on their trades of course. - However i could be wrong, it's just what i've heard.
Yup, KingSam and Marn explained it in the UCON thread-

I asked Marnixxie if there were supposed to be any villagers on the map, since I had read this thread and saw that some had been found. He said there weren't supposed to be any and that it was supposed to stay that way. It was in no way "they seem flawed, so I killed them all".

One of the main flaws of the system is that by using some form of automatic sugar cane farm (note how quickly these things grow and how easy it is to obtain a very large amount of paper), you can set up an automatic villager spawning mechanism and by killing all of the villagers that spawn which aren't librarians and don't have a paper trade initially (thus keeping within the current rules of mob quantities), you can gather a large amount of emeralds in a short space of time. You could then use these to trade with blacksmiths and get a bunch of diamonds or diamond armour and so forth. This video shows some of the techniques: .

As you can see in that video, he finds one villager trading paper for diamonds as cheaply as he could, traded them for 33 emeralds. He could then have gone on to get a blacksmith selling diamonds and traded them all for diamonds, getting over 100 diamonds from a few bits of paper.

So don't shoot the messenger, I was just the one going through and killing them, not the person who made the executive decision to get rid of them.
Going to bring this thread back to topic, we already had discussions about this topic on another thread when people were asked for their opinion.
And for the staff, we have/had a thread going about this, instead of making an argument on a public thread, you could have continued there.
KingSam and I only pointed something out, since the thread was on the about villagers at some, simply a heads up.
If you want to discuss server changes/requests, than point that out somewhere else, instead of on a thread that is about building/working, more or less, cooperating together.

And then Malc confirmed it in the same thread-

Villagers will not be added until the next map update due to the trading system being heavily flawed. :)

If you are seen trying to hide villagers we will see it akin to having a xp farm. However we plan to scan for villagers and remove all of them 'before' we update to 1.3

thankyou.
edit: Ninja'd, pretty much what Defiant said.

Shinyshark

Professional innuendo creator/finder.
Reaction score
Inb4 somone works extremely hard on the hotel design and notices that nothing happens, then makes a thread about it to complain about how shit the server is because it disallows a 1.3 feature for their own reasons on their own servers.

• Winner
Reactions: Knight365

Amorix

Reaction score
Just an idea:
I think they should be given vendors with some kind of mod that allows the admins to choose what each villager has. Emeralds should be given as rewards for doing things. (Being helpful, building something awesome, etc.) This could add a nice thought/action/reward deal.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
Just an idea:
I think they should be given vendors with some kind of mod that allows the admins to choose what each villager has. Emeralds should be given as rewards for doing things. (Being helpful, building something awesome, etc.) This could add a nice thought/action/reward deal.
Emeralds for voting in Minestatus? :O

Amorix

Reaction score
Emeralds for voting in Minestatus? :O
Being helpful in general, including this. It could be given to you by admins who approve of your actions.
I imagine there'd have to be some restrictions on when admins can do this, due to emerald trading being a potential game breaker. (You could only have 64 emeralds at one time, admins have very tight regulations on what does/doesn't warrant giving players emeralds, etc.)

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
Being helpful in general, including this. It could be given to you by admins who approve of your actions.
I imagine there'd have to be some restrictions on when admins can do this, due to emerald trading being a potential game breaker. (You could only have 64 emeralds at one time, admins have very tight regulations on what does/doesn't warrant giving players emeralds, etc.)
Eh, only problem with that is favoritism. That's basically like saying admins should give people they like free diamonds. It'd just lead to players trying to constantly showing off to admins so they can get free stuff. And some people might get emeralds just because they are friends with staff.

Amorix

Reaction score
Eh, only problem with that is favoritism. That's basically like saying admins should give people they like free diamonds. It'd just lead to players trying to constantly showing off to admins so they can get free stuff. And some people might get emeralds just because they are friends with staff.
Good point.
Perhaps... won in contests?