OOC The Shard Coast [Info, sign-ups and OOC discussion]

Catcocomics

Reaction score
When you say naturally talented, what do you mean? Do you mean that she simply has sharp reflexes or do you mean that she instinctively knows how to use the weapons? I'm sort of okay with allowing the first option, but for the second, the weapons you've listed are still way too different for her to be "naturally talented" at all of them, or even most of them. Furthermore, her being a mage, regardless of powerlevels, still inhibits her abilities with conventional weapons, and especially melee weapons, which all require a certain physical capability. And even with natural talent, training is still necessary, it's simply the speed with which you improve that is boosted somewhat by instinctive ability. If your character hasn't done any training, then she can't use the weapons, or shields, for that matter, regardless of her potential.
I was originally intending for Ayane to be able to occasionally use small amounts magic to enhance physical combat (be it making arrow tips having freezing qualities, or even just putting a little more force behind sword strikes).
If the magic is really as draining as you say, then I think I'll be fine dumping use of natural magic abilities in favor of using magical and mechanical devices found later on during the adventure.
This won't stop her natural affinity for ice, though, because the magic does still flow through her.

also, unless the forest Ayane was raised in has any bodies of water that get frozen during the winter, her ice-skating will be talent alone, though given a couple of hours to practice, she shouldn't have any trouble at speed.

With the matter of talent and training, Ayane has had some practice using a short sword and a slingshot as I thought I mentioned something about this here:
*slingshot and some very small items to pelt at things (shooting soft berries at people has proven to be mildly entertaining... sometimes...)
*play sword made of a softer but sturdier wood (being of an adventurous spirit, she kind of plays around with this a lot)
Though perhaps my wording was a little too characterized (for sake of possible immersion) for the meaning to be understood properly.

As for the natural talent part of the equation, Ayane could simply be familiar with the basics of how to us each (except perhaps the shield, since I haven't mentioned that or anything like it as being a starting item), meaning that she will be ok with using each, but is by no means a master at any of them.

You can be talented at a few things, but with the way your character is set up, it looks like she's meant to be talented at most things, if not almost everything. I'm not only talking about combat abilities either, Ayane's personality traits (charming and almost without any fear at the age of ten to eleven) coupled with her various skills and her mysterious background make me especially wary of her as a character, as she is leaning a bit too close to Mary Sue territory for my liking. I will not stop you from trying to play all those different things out, but keep in mind that you're not going to be able to succeed at everything that you do, especially since during combat I'm going to be making decisions about how well Ayane can hold her own, and in the interest of fair and interesting play, I am probably going to nerf her combat abilities on the fly, if this is how you intend to keep her.
The charming bit is literally just that Ayane may look a little cute.
The fear resistance admittedly doesn't make sense for a small child, so let it start off as something hardly significant that grows with Ayane as she matures.

Moving on to background, there are still some important questions that haven't been answered. It's good that we now know where she came from, but this still does not answer the questions of how and why she ended up where she is now, or what journey she is supposed to go on and why. It's entirely okay if you don't want to share it with the other players just yet or which to keep things a mystery for everyone involved, but I as the GM have to know, otherwise I might make decisions that you don't like and you might make decisions that I don't like. In the interest of avoiding that, please give me some more information, or I will be forced to make something up myself, and I have a feeling you wouldn't be too keen on that.
Ayane's background is simply as follows: born in subarctic region of a more oriental styled culture, found and taken in to be raised in a forest village. I don't mind leaving the finer details to you, since I'm not very familiar with the lore of the world, if there is any yet.

And finally, regarding the magic bag, I still don't want an item as powerful as this to be in your starting equipment, especially considering the fact that she has no backstory to explain it.
Another thing I thought I mentioned here:
*small (and least) belt-bag of holding (an item she was found with) (this bag is only strong enough to hold a couple of small bags, or else, can manifest as some other magical storage device (such as a portable hole) [BCOLOR=#00ccff]far later[/BCOLOR] in the adventure)
I'm pretty ok with not having this from the start as long as I get something like it later down the road.

TL;DR
I'm a lot less adamant on the finer details than 2 years ago, but I am trying to put priority on what my character can do and is good at (like if active-use magic means that sword can't work, I'll have to go with sword).
And also, I've noticed that my previous messages haven't be successful in fully conveying their meanings, as is indicated by questions being asked after I have answered them to my greatest present ability.

If the questions still remain on my character's backstory and journey, I wish to not make up lore that could potentially conflict with what may have already been intended/put in place, and if I have not already made it clear (I may not have, to be fair), I wish for my character to play out a role in the main plot, and thus, the journey is up to the GM and not myself, since the main plot is not of my own design.

Apologies if any of my responses do not make sense, as the house I was in while typing tends to be a rather disruptive environment.

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I was originally intending for Ayane to be able to occasionally use small amounts magic to enhance physical combat (be it making arrow tips having freezing qualities, or even just putting a little more force behind sword strikes).
If the magic is really as draining as you say, then I think I'll be fine dumping use of natural magic abilities in favor of using magical and mechanical devices found later on during the adventure.
This won't stop her natural affinity for ice, though, because the magic does still flow through her.

also, unless the forest Ayane was raised in has any bodies of water that get frozen during the winter, her ice-skating will be talent alone, though given a couple of hours to practice, she shouldn't have any trouble at speed.

With the matter of talent and training, Ayane has had some practice using a short sword and a slingshot as I thought I mentioned something about this here:

Though perhaps my wording was a little too characterized (for sake of possible immersion) for the meaning to be understood properly.

As for the natural talent part of the equation, Ayane could simply be familiar with the basics of how to us each (except perhaps the shield, since I haven't mentioned that or anything like it as being a starting item), meaning that she will be ok with using each, but is by no means a master at any of them.

The charming bit is literally just that Ayane may look a little cute.
The fear resistance admittedly doesn't make sense for a small child, so let it start off as something hardly significant that grows with Ayane as she matures.

Ayane's background is simply as follows: born in subarctic region of a more oriental styled culture, found and taken in to be raised in a forest village. I don't mind leaving the finer details to you, since I'm not very familiar with the lore of the world, if there is any yet.

Another thing I thought I mentioned here:

I'm pretty ok with not having this from the start as long as I get something like it later down the road.

TL;DR
I'm a lot less adamant on the finer details than 2 years ago, but I am trying to put priority on what my character can do and is good at (like if active-use magic means that sword can't work, I'll have to go with sword).
And also, I've noticed that my previous messages haven't be successful in fully conveying their meanings, as is indicated by questions being asked after I have answered them to my greatest present ability.

If the questions still remain on my character's backstory and journey, I wish to not make up lore that could potentially conflict with what may have already been intended/put in place, and if I have not already made it clear (I may not have, to be fair), I wish for my character to play out a role in the main plot, and thus, the journey is up to the GM and not myself, since the main plot is not of my own design.

Apologies if any of my responses do not make sense, as the house I was in while typing tends to be a rather disruptive environment.
Okay, it seems that my fears were somewhat unfounded as it seems that you've got a better handle on what is good and what is not in an RP than you did two years ago in GotE. As long as you play her reasonably, I see no reason to not let her stay the way you've clarified now.

As for the question of how lifeforce-draining magic is: it's not an exact science in my own mind either, but some good guidelines would probably be:
* Alchemy is the least draining, sorcery the most.
* Minor things like what you put forward in your last post shouldn't have an immediate effect. Using only magic for combat, however, can wear the user out quite quickly.
* The more frequently magic is used, the more it drains with each successive use.
* Alchemy drains in proportion to the effects it has on the target item or substance.
* Mindweaving drains in proportion to the difficulty of the spells, which is also influenced by the target's conscious and subconscious willingness to accept whatever is being attempted.
* Sorcery drains in proportion to the amount of matter manipulated.

Samlen

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Just a thought, if you want to magically enhance your weapons, why not go for a little bit of alchemy instead of sorcery? That way, you could prepare things like frost-tipped arrows before-hand, making it less energy draining. Being an alchemical archer could be pretty cool. Still, going for just fighting might be better so you can get really good at it instead of dividing up your talents.

Reactions: Enderfive

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Just a thought, if you want to magically enhance your weapons, why not go for a little bit of alchemy instead of sorcery? That way, you could prepare things like frost-tipped arrows before-hand, making it less energy draining. Being an alchemical archer could be pretty cool. Still, going for just fighting might be better so you can get really good at it instead of dividing up your talents.
Pretty much this, yeah. Sorcery as an enhancing magic is fairly inefficient and doesn't really do all that much. If you're a sorcerer, you're better off just going full flamestrike or blizzard on your enemies instead of trying to give your conventional attacks a bit of an extra kick.

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Tomorrow. I wanted to work out some certain details before beginning and starting on a Friday will hopefully give the players more time to start off. Plus I've just had a really busy week at school.

Well, tomorrow for me, at least. It's possible that you Aussies will be going to sleep before I can get the thread up.

Reactions: CaffeinatedKitty

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Well, this is awkward.

I'm down with a cough and a fever, not to mention a moderate headache, so I won't be able to begin today. Most of the necessary stuff is there in my head and some of it is already written out, too, but I'm just too drained to make the effort to finish the preparations right now.

I hope you understand and I will do my best to get this thing rolling as soon as possible.

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Some lore for your pleasure and also to pass on some information about the place you will all shortly find yourselves in.

Styngard
Styngard is the largest and oldest city in West Osten, with a population just under 500 000, and is situated in the mouth of the River Styne. It is governed by a City Council and has had city rights, which grant its citizens considerable privileges, since the Third Age. As the governing Royal City of West Osten, it is a hotbed of politics and crime and its inhabitants are ambitious, cunning and independent by nature.

Some of the more notable organisations that operate in Styngard are the City Council; the City Guard; the Royal Inquisitors, an Osten-wide network of investigators working directly for the King; the Magpies, the Unseen and the Festering Wolves, local criminal organisations; and the Temple of Twelve, which worships the twelve main gods. Worship of Thiscaia and Clastine, goddesses of luck and thieves, respectively, are also commonplace.

Styngard is divided into several parts. Dockside, further divided into South and North Dockside, is the part of the city that is situated on the west bank of the River Styne, as opposed to the east bank like the rest of the city. It is fairly poor, especially South Dockside, and is the favourite part of the city for thieves and other sorts of petty criminals.

Coastway is a richer part Styngard, located nearest to the coastline. It has its own harbor, commonly known as the Silver Harbor.

Midtown and Oldtown are the heart of the city. Many important people have their homes there, but it is also the location of most offices for various organisations, as well as a place where many come to seek entertainment. Theatres and amphithreatres can be found there and upper class and common folk alike come there for both business and pleasure, depending on the time of day.

Hilsway is the home to much of the lower and middle class of Styngard, and is as varied as the people that live there. Exotic shops, skilled artisans and an occasional traveller are all commonplace there. It is also the first part of Styngard that many see because most of the gates in the city wall open into Hilsway.

In other news, I will be posting the game thread shortly and then we can all get started. If you haven't received your character's goal yet or if I promised additional information and it hasn't arrived, then I (probably) haven't forgotten, it simply means that I want to get a feel of the character before I start suggesting things. The best way to do that is to start playing, of course.

Faliara

Reaction score
Huh... We would need a description of our characters' appearances to work off, right?

A little on the short side, somewhat dark skin (light tan? I'm not too sure). He wears dark brown pants with front and back pockets, a belt, a fluffy white turtleneck, a pair of sandals and ties a hooded grey jacket with two pockets on the front around his waist.
--Eyes: A warm sort of gold.
--Hair: White? But with black highlights, oddly enough, tipping the ends of his hair. It's actually pretty long (to his waist) but he keeps it tied up in a loop bun. He uses a black scrunchy to do so.

(All of these (especially the hair) are things I am fine with having people mocking.)

EDIT: He's also 15 years old (so he should be shorter than Luke, I think?) and if it weren't for his chest (which is flat as a board) one could mistake him for female, as he is androgynous in appearance.

Last edited:

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, giving appearance descriptions is a good idea, actually.
Some notable features (that can be used to aid in writing interactions);

Appearance:
Olive's eyes are a slate blue (which is a mid grey-blue colour) and she has a strong jaw and rounded face. Her hair is curly and black, and reaches her shoulders, though she has a habit of tying it up into a ponytail when working. She has a semi-dark olive skin-tone as well as two dimples. Average height, fairly muscular.

Clothing:
Worn brown leather boots.
Loose white tunic, sleeves rolled up.
An old repurposed tool belt.
A rather large stone and metal warhammer.
Long, loose fitting dark brown pants.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Am I gonna get by ass kicked soon? I've decided to explore the way the beast entered the town... without so much as a light source.

I'll point this out now that I've decided to go ahead and keep the thing I mentioned about being virtually fearless, but start it out in a highly undeveloped stage, so Ayane will pretty much not be daunted by challenges, but things like fear spells will still have normal effect on her.
What this basically means is that I might get myself knocked out a few times just because I'm a kid.

Last edited:

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
Samlen Catcocomics
use this thread and delete your posts in the IC, if you will. Also, Samlen, I didn't expect it to really work. Along with this, I doubt we're lifting the horse - Id assumed we'd be pushing it much like you'd push a car (except obviously the horse isn't quite as large). Even so, I only expected it to shift unbelievably little, unless other people had joined us, I wasn't planning on succeeding. Maybe Ender can have a group of guards take over from us, now that they've arrived.

Samlen

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Hopefully. You'd be surprised at how much you can pull, but we have to try and not hurt the guy underneath. That's why I wanted ender's opinion on it (mb for putting it wrong thread). We probably should follow the monster as the 'heroes' and let Ender's guards see if the poor fellow is rescue-able.

Faliara

Reaction score
Hopefully. You'd be surprised at how much you can pull, but we have to try and not hurt the guy underneath. That's why I wanted ender's opinion on it (mb for putting it wrong thread). We probably should follow the monster as the 'heroes' and let Ender's guards see if the poor fellow is rescue-able.
Wait, didn't Endy say the guy was dead

• Agree
Reactions: Catcocomics