[Suggestion] - Ranks

W

Wimali

Yes, ranks. I feel like it would be kind of unfair that a player who's been playing for 5 months for example still has the same rank as a player who just joined. People would also be able to see who's high-ranked and ask them questions instead of not knowing who's an active player.

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
As is the culture observed in TNTWars Classic, and hopefully on the Premium variant as well, is that you simply ask in public the question and lo and behold you are answered by up to three people at a time. Rank does not indicate anything about knowledge, but activity. Sure you have experience but even someone who just went through a tutorial can tell you how to use /buy #amount weapon.

Maybe cosmetic things. I don't know. I'll be drafting a few ideas when I am not sleep deprived.

Sephhh

Supermegauber Foxy Fox!
Reaction score
Website
blocktopia.net
I'm with both sides. I know that people love ranks but it is also thought that it may also bring about inequality among players. Though what I have in mind, is that we could have ranks, but with no advantages. Like in AoD, they sell titles (or ranks, whatever it's called) just for the fun of it, something to achieve. I think there is no harm in this as long as there are titles that are affordable by most people, slowly making them eligible to buy the next title, and maybe there could be some fun commands that they can do when they have this title, such as ragequit, headdesk, and other fun commands that does not give any advantage to the gameplay.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
I kinda see both an advantage and disadvantage if players were given ranks based on how well they play--KDR?Lets say that the highest rank is Rainbows and the lowest rank is Unicorns. The Rainbows may directly attack the Unicorns all the time because of how "bad" they are... And then the Unicorns may try to run away from the Rainbows if they see them.

Sephhh

Supermegauber Foxy Fox!
Reaction score
Website
blocktopia.net
Well, I don't think titles would make one higher than any other player. They are still all players and these are just merely achievements, such as /awards in classic, but better. There are actually numerous of possibilities to do with this topic. I don't know if you could just buy commands, but if not, -- If you would want the title "Player" to stay, maybe it could be made like having a rank, but still having the title "Player" and have the same things seen as a normal player, the title, the color, but they are able to do such fun commands (That I'm sure people enjoy so much) and be able to see their rank using /stats. This is just something that would give people something to do besides the normal games :). I also see this thing as one thing to somehow balance the economy. Being people with "Hey, I have 50k points. I'll just spam on grenades l3l." This will happen rarely, though, just a thought.

This does not enhance gameplay, and I doubt this would impose bad impressions. I hope you don't misunderstand this :p

• Agree
Reactions: LizzzyxD

gay vampire

Little Miss Organs
Reaction score
I don't really want ranks.

TNT is quite simple and fun as it is; Like Priz stated, everyone contributes to a team effort in most of the gamemodes, so just because someone has spent more time on the server. I also, personally think it would make it a bit too complicated, seeing we already have 4 teams and each round there can be different teams, so it would be a little more confusing for new players. Just my opinion and assumption on this, however.

(/awards doesn't exist on lava anymore, any they were something that people rarely ever checked/cared about. Ranks, or titles, are something people care about a lot more.)

smokingkills

The Friendly DoD VetOp
Reaction score
I am pretty much sitting on the fence here. The only reason why I wouldn't like ranks added to the server is because the chat would take a different form in that titles and colours would be everywhere. Currently it is easy to see who is staff and who isn't, and this is important for new guests who need to know who to stay away from. I mean ask questions too. But I do like the idea of rewarding players for their activity, but I suppose they get the reward of being better at the game in most cases anyhow!

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I like TNT as it is, clean with just 'Player' as the title. Being a team game in all gamemodes except FFA, everyone contributes to a team effort and everyone should be equal. If I wanted individual progression I'd head over to AoD which is more of an individual gametype.
I was thinking that titles and ranks would be good to add until I saw this, I think Prizyms is right on this, TnT is more a team game than an indivduals game and generally ranks are more a progression of ones individual abilities than team skills. However I would like to see the player title changed to something more 'TnT themed' I don't really have any idea for names its just another suggestion. Otherwise I don't really see a ranks progression fitting in, if anything it would be more likely to unbalance the game than anything else. As everyone would want to join the teams of those with the higher ranks.

Mccuish

The Canadian Nightmare
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm with both sides. I know that people love ranks but it is also thought that it may also bring about inequality among players. Though what I have in mind, is that we could have ranks, but with no advantages. Like in AoD, they sell titles (or ranks, whatever it's called) just for the fun of it, something to achieve. I think there is no harm in this as long as there are titles that are affordable by most people, slowly making them eligible to buy the next title, and maybe there could be some fun commands that they can do when they have this title, such as ragequit, headdesk, and other fun commands that does not give any advantage to the gameplay.
i agree with this cause titles would be a great addition to the server and they would be something players could shoot for :D

D

DarkHender

If anyone here actually looked into the ranks just change [player] when they buy it?
from my personal experience ranks that you can buy with cookies or points are a main reason why I stay as well to chat and have fun with others.

If there ranks were to be added, I think it'd attract those new/old players that like ranks.
But as I can see most of the TnT staff are iffy on the idea/don't really want it so~

But it does sound nice to be a little personalized. Who said you needed more colors? :p

• Agree
Reactions: ealev

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
My idea exactly :)

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
I do not think that ranks should be added. As some have already said, it's easy to see who is staff and who isn't without player ranks. Another problem that I see with player ranks is that once you go with an achievement system for ranks, (and I know this isn't the only way to implement ranks, but it is the most likely) the entire game becomes slightly altered in that you only work for the next achievement and don't just play for fun.

D

DarkHender

Well with TnT, people might play for fun or for ranks. It's still more people coming online for ranks or for fun.
But I'm sure people wouldn't come online just to get ranks if they were having a horrible time, who would play a game for hours and hours to get ranks if they didn't enjoy the game?

If titles where considered, I don't think it'd alter the game play that much, just come personalization and a few "YAY I GOT SO-AND-SO-RANK".
Thats how I see it atleast.

Super_Goku

ukoG_repuS
Reaction score
I think as said before, titles would be great addition but, no other colors, it would look kinda ugly if you could see like 6-7 different colors in chat and the only colored titles would be staff ranks, so there is a way to see who is staff and who is not. so just grey for player titles. It would also be nice, (as said above) that the higher your player rank, the more (silly, funny) commands you can do,on AoD for example, they got a facepalm and gangnam command that are silly and funny to use. A fun command to have would be ragequit. As it has been around in CTNT and I loved it. So ones again, Player ranks, I don't like it. Player titles, would be nice.

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
I originally was hoping they would add ranks even if just for fun. But after thinking about it I've turned completely against the idea. Classic TNT wars worked great without them. And TNT wars would be unique if it didn't have ranks. Also something to consider, ranks give people more reasons to cheat. And can discourage team mechanics to cause individuals working alone. This would remain true even if we go by title ranks that only give you silly commands without adding an advantage. Not to mention. This would completely go against the spirit of tnt-wars which was meant to be a simple yet fun and addicting game as it was in classic.

To deal with the boring player title I suggest 2 things. Remove the player title. allow players to buy fully customize able titles where they can choose and enter their own title into the game without any being a "rank" or giving any advantages ( not even silly commands).

Sephhh

Supermegauber Foxy Fox!
Reaction score
Website
blocktopia.net
Hey, let's just forget about the word "rank". It gives bad impressions and it sounds wrong for some reason. I don't know if it's just me, but I think it leads to a lot of misunderstandings.

I'm not here to add more information or oppose anything, and I'm not even sure about the titles anymore, but what I can say right now is that some people love to aim buying things, like zombie and creeper hats. There are some commands too that are not silly. What I'm clinging on at the moment is a ragequit command, lol.

Reactions: Oak Milk