Suggestion: Make people unable to /ignore staff.

W

Wimali

I think it's quite obvious why people shouldn't be able to use /ignore on staff members. It just makes the staff unable to communicate with the player, and this is a big problem when said player is a griefer or flooder. It just causes a lot of problems and is a huge annoyance for staff members. Or maybe make it a rule that people can't ignore staff.

EDIT: Has been added, no need to respond to the thread anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wimali

I wasn't even aware we had /ignore
However If this were implemented what would protect the regular players from staff harassment? Staff could easily abuse this in some form and the regular users on the server would have no protection against this.
Explain how they could abuse this, lol? I mean, it's not like staff would spam a player or insult them or anything..?

Xfolo

Reaction score
However If this were implemented what would protect the regular players from staff harassment? Staff could easily abuse this in some form and the regular users on the server would have no protection against this.
Explain how they could abuse this, lol? I mean, it's not like staff would spam a player or insult them or anything..?
You never know.

I suggest they can be ignored, but with PM's, the message will come.

kuilin

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
I disagree. The staff of this server are very mature, and they wouldn't abuse their powers. Even if they would abuse their powers, they wouldn't really spam people, because there's much more potential for abuse in other powers they have, namely the repl command, /banall, /kick, etc than just spamming the chat.
off-topic:
How does one use the word staff to refer to multiple staff members? I mean,
"The staff are very mature"
vs
"The staves are very mature"
The first sounds incorrect but the second sounds just wrong...

Faliara

Reaction score
I have an idea.

Maybe they can still /ignore staff (I had no idea this was possible) however when the player's breaking a rule they could use this command of sorts where they send in a warning through anonymosity. (Is that even a word? Anonymous anonymousity.)

• Agree
Reactions: JKangaroo and Xfolo
D

DarkHender

Staff harassment?
If any staff is harassing a player in a unfriendly way they shouldn't be staff and you should report it.

Totally off topic because that really caught my eye. anyways..
Are you talking about the mod for /ignore or do we actually have /ignore?
I've never heard nor seen this command.

nitasu987

Reaction score
I have an idea.

Maybe they can still /ignore staff (I had no idea this was possible) however when the player's breaking a rule they could use this command of sorts where they send in a warning through anonymosity. (Is that even a word? Anonymous anonymousity.)

I think it would just be 'they send in a warning anonymously'

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow.

I want a damn good explanation not of how, but why in the fuck would we, as staff, abuse this, and why you think we harrass players.

kuilin

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
Staff harassment?
If any staff is harassing a player in a unfriendly way they shouldn't be staff and you should report it.

I've never heard nor seen about this command.

/ignore comes from HeroChat, which is the chat plugin that rof uses and that I *might not* be allowed to know.

Using /ch help, one finds that /ch ignore is usable by players, with a shortcut being /ignore.

There's also some *fun* commands in there that're listed when you're typing /ch help as a non-op, namely creating your own channel, etc, but I'm not going to play around with those for fear of destroying something.

D

DarkHender

Wow.

I want a damn good explanation not of how, but why in the fuck would staff abuse this, and why you think we harrass players.
Hey now, lets not throw this thread off.
If myusername22 would please pm either myself or clock, or either both to answer our questions that would be great.

*end of off topicness*

Staff harassment?

I've never heard nor seen about this command.
/ignore comes from HeroChat, which is the chat plugin that rof uses and that I *might not* be allowed to know.

Using /ch help, one finds that /ch ignore is usable by players, with a shortcut being /ignore.

There's also some *fun* commands in there that're listed when you're typing /ch help as a non-op, namely creating your own channel, etc, but I'm not going to play around with those for fear of destroying something.
You know more than me about our chat, holy hell why didn't I know about this sooner!

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
I disagree. The staff of this server are very mature, and they wouldn't abuse their powers. Even if they would abuse their powers, they wouldn't really spam people, because there's much more potential for abuse in other powers they have, namely the repl command, /banall, /kick, etc than just spamming the chat.
off-topic:
How does one use the word staff to refer to multiple staff members? I mean,
"The staff are very mature"
vs
"The staves are very mature"
The first sounds incorrect but the second sounds just wrong...

I believe the first is correct as the word staff can be used to refer to A singular person or a group of staff members.

Now back on topic

Yes I agree the current staff team is very mature but however it is very well known things change easily and "you never know". Who's to say what could happen in the future?

Faliara

Reaction score
I've heard of new staff abusing their powers. Read that bold text. It's veyr rare and very few and very far in between, but I've heard of the select few idiots who decided to do that, although I forgot the names.

Sploorky

Reaction score
If staff are harassing you, you never ignore it. You report it to the directors(in this case dirtcake and ogarci).

Always. Never ever just /ignore, that solves nothing. And you don't need to argue about it, because it's as clear cut and simple as that. Thanks.

Moving on....good idea, bram.

(Also I could go into a totally off-topic rant on how ignoring people never fixes issues, but tackling your problem head on does, but that'll just lead back to what I already said, so I'll spare you)

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Okay, first off. I am strongly opposed to any form of ignore. Just ignoring a player will do nothing to solve this issue. As has been said please, if a argument arises. PM a staff member and we will handle it. Ignoring it can only make the situation worse and in a server were communicating is a very used activity /ignore will only make it crumble.

Imagine this,a player is ignoring you. That player decides to break into your house. You have no way to tell him or her that they are not allowed. You would have to call an Operator+ and we are not always available.

Ignore is frankly, just a useless command. And if an op is being rude to you or you feel you are being harassed you need to report it IMMEDIATELY to Ogarci and dirtcake. They will handle it.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
I remember back on AoD as a Trusted, a player /ignore'd me when I was trying to speak to him for something (for rulebreaking, I believe).
Needless to say, it was extremely annoying. I couldn't communicate with him at all, even to tell him to unignore me.
And so I had to get several other staff involved in order to sort this situation out, wherareas the whole problem could have easily been solved by myself if the player had not been able to ignore me.
There is no reason for player to have to need to ignore staff as it just hinders communication.

• Agree
Reactions: FrenchSanta12

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
Sorry for the bump, but I'd like to let you know that people are still using the /ignore command. Are there any plans to remove the /ignore command as Damer suggested?
Removing the entire /ignore command is not a good idea. If a player doesn't want to talk to another player, so what. I've used the /ignore command countless times and in all honesty it made my time on RoF that much better.

About players /ignore'ing the staff; It all comes down to the reason someone is/was ignoring the staff member. If they simply don't want to talk to said staff member, I don't see what the big deal is. I could go on right now and ignore half the staff members if I wanted to. They wouldn't care very much, I don't think. If they do, they can contact me in many different ways if they need to. If a player is breaking rules, and is constantly ignoring the staff, what would the point of keeping the player on the server be?

I just don't think /ignore should be removed. It's actually a fairly useful command to block out highly annoying people, and if it wasn't for this command, I probably would have left RoF a while earlier than I did.

I know for a fact that people are going to ask, "If you want to ignore people why don't you just turn off the chat?"
If I'm going to turn off the chat I might as well not be on the server.

This is all I have to say on the matter.

Tamsanity

Reaction score
I think it's probably best to keep it this way because although staff is generally very mature and respectful, it's possible for players to have maybe personal issues with certain staff members, maybe they just don't get along with some.
Regardless of a players rank on the server, they're still human beings, and sometimes conflict can arise between two.
I dunno man.
I mean, plus if a player were to say like 'Aw man I didn't know that was against the rules cuz I can't see the staff members talking to me lol :^)'
I don't think any staff member would go for that.
If the player is choosing to be ignorant by justifying their actions that way, it's the fault of the player and that's reasonable.