[Solved] Did my thread/post get deleted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robo

Sup
Reaction score
I would like to see if my threads/posts got deleted. I think adding an alert that tells you would be nice, just so you know what you did wrong, and you know that your post didn't just magically disappear.

JtTorso

Reaction score
A lot of head staff have opted for outright deletion of a thread or post instead of issuing a warning, a common procedure for a while as warnings are permanent and can add up, it's not done out of sheer randomness, the most common reasons from what I've seen are due to posts not adding anything to a thread, if it's something serious you'll get a warning or a PM.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
I think the least that could be done is letting the user know why. It's rather disconcerting when you make a thread or post only to have it disappear without any reason. Even if it isn't a serious reason, it's still nice to have some sort of reason nonetheless. While staff are to be trusted to make the right call, they won't always be able to do that, and giving a reason can help keep them in check. It's a lot easier to delete a post without anyone knowing you did it than it is to delete a post with your username and a reason attached so that you are held accountable. If they don't want to have themselves associated with deleting a post, then can they really say that their decision is justified?

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
I was going to say that I'm sure the staff had a reason for deleting such things, but Defiant makes a very valid point, if which that the user who has had his content removed, should have a notice as to why his content was removed.

I'm all for it, in that case, if these deletions are a serious issue to some of you. I've only witnessed it a couple times over several months, one of those times towards me, but that was ages ago. (Then again, I don't really post as much as I've used to, and I also don't browse as much as I've used to, either.)

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
If you suspect that your thread/post was deleted and you didn't get a reason why, then hit up an active Con+ to look it up and see if there was a reason stated for deleting your thread/post.

And I'd agree with Duffie that maybe the Con+ who deleted the thread/post could message the person and state their reason and such. Maybe tell them what rule they broke as well?

Reactions: Notme and Duffie

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the least that could be done is letting the user know why. It's rather disconcerting when you make a thread or post only to have it disappear without any reason. Even if it isn't a serious reason, it's still nice to have some sort of reason nonetheless. While staff are to be trusted to make the right call, they won't always be able to do that, and giving a reason can help keep them in check. It's a lot easier to delete a post without anyone knowing you did it than it is to delete a post with your username and a reason attached so that you are held accountable. If they don't want to have themselves associated with deleting a post, then can they really say that their decision is justified?
Usually if something was deleted, it was a good reason for it. We dont just go on a random deletetion rampage. If you really cant see any reason for why your post was deleted, or disagree with it, PM or get a hold of a controller+ and you will be able to find the staffmember that deleted it and take it up with them.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
[hl]Just a thought, but who knowingly posts things that would get deleted?[/hl]

It's like my German teacher -- I get the test back all red but not a single hint of what exactly is wrong and/or how it should be done/I could fix it.
And the only time I can think of is if they jokingly made a post, knowing full well of the responsibilities.

If they go that far, if anything, the warning system works then. :p

• Agree
Reactions: 755someone755

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
Usually if something was deleted, it was a good reason for it. We dont just go on a random deletetion rampage. If you really cant see any reason for why your post was deleted, or disagree with it, PM or get a hold of a controller+ and you will be able to find the staffmember that deleted it and take it up with them.
As far as I can tell a lot of the people who've been complaining about their posts being deleted didn't know why and were confused. As 755someone755 said, most members don't purposefully intend to make a deletion-worthy post. I don't think it would hurt to have a system which would sent a user a notification that tells them the username of the staff member, the reason for deletion, and a copy of the deleted post.
A system like this would help clarify the situation for the members instead of each member PMing a Controller who would then have to search for the staff member who would then PM the member when it could be as simple as the member just knowing the reason why. Then the player, if they wish to dispute the reason, could take it up with the staff member privately easily.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I don't think it would hurt to have a system which would sent a user a notification that tells them the username of the staff member, the reason for deletion, and a copy of the deleted post.
A system like this would help clarify the situation for the members instead of each member PMing a Controller who would then have to search for the staff member who would then PM the member when it could be as simple as the member just knowing the reason why.
I'm bringing Defiant's suggestion to light again. Not because of personal stuffs; all members should receive notification with the post quoted and reason appended.

Pick Yer Poison

is a kid now, is a squid now
Reaction score
Website
itisntrocketscience.tumblr.com
Just going to throw it out there that to newer users or those who aren't personally familiar with the staff members, Controller+ ranks seem pretty intimidating. I could easily see a user not going to a Controller+ to find out why their post got deleted because they were afraid they might get in more trouble if it looked like they were trying to argue against the decision.

(Also going to point out that I had no idea you were just supposed to ask a Controller+ why your post got deleted. Now I'm just a dumb cat, but it's probably safe to assume there are at least a few more users like me who would have no idea who to contact if their post got deleted, and wouldn't have the easy way out of just Steam messaging Malcovent or something.)

If I were to give my opinion, I would say it's better to lean in favor of editing a message and leaving a warning in it, and possibly removing any bad content if necessary, rather than deleting the post entirely, so long as it pertains to the topic at hand. (Italics, red coloring, and a slightly bigger font size were my weapons of choice back when I was staff.)
A lot of head staff have opted for outright deletion of a thread or post instead of issuing a warning, a common procedure for a while as warnings are permanent and can add up, it's not done out of sheer randomness, the most common reasons from what I've seen are due to posts not adding anything to a thread, if it's something serious you'll get a warning or a PM.
Are warnings really permanent? That should probably be changed - I distinctly remember being able to issue temporary warnings that would eventually wear off during my time as staff.

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
I'm bringing Defiant's suggestion to light again. Not because of personal stuffs; all members should receive notification with the post quoted and reason appended.
It was around when this thread first came around that a new message was put out for those who can delete threads and messages to personally message the person themself and explain why.

... lots of "person"s and "messages".

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Are warnings really permanent? That should probably be changed - I distinctly remember being able to issue temporary warnings that would eventually wear off during my time as staff.
From what I've seen the points themselves wear off(expire), however the warn itself is still archived.
The reason, the who, but not the content is shown.

JtTorso

Reaction score
From what I've seen the points themselves wear off(expire), however the warn itself is still archived.
The reason, the who, but not the content is shown.
I'm not entirely sure why I said warnings are permanent because they technically aren't. A warning is valued at different points depending on the type of warning, they do however expire after a certain amount of time (again, depending on the warning) but they are archived, and every staff member of a certain stature is able to view these warnings.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Just going to throw it out there that to newer users or those who aren't personally familiar with the staff members, Controller+ ranks seem pretty intimidating. I could easily see a user not going to a Controller+ to find out why their post got deleted because they were afraid they might get in more trouble if it looked like they were trying to argue against the decision.

(Also going to point out that I had no idea you were just supposed to ask a Controller+ why your post got deleted. Now I'm just a dumb cat, but it's probably safe to assume there are at least a few more users like me who would have no idea who to contact if their post got deleted, and wouldn't have the easy way out of just Steam messaging Malcovent or something.)

If I were to give my opinion, I would say it's better to lean in favor of editing a message and leaving a warning in it, and possibly removing any bad content if necessary, rather than deleting the post entirely, so long as it pertains to the topic at hand. (Italics, red coloring, and a slightly bigger font size were my weapons of choice back when I was staff.)

Warnings "expire" but you are still able to browse through expired warnings as a controller+

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Just don't make a fucking stupid post and it wont be deleted
that simple

Sorry for the brashness, but it's true. We have thread full of rules for the forums.
a thread full of rules?
so you're saying the community has standards?
so you're saying that the face of the community (those with staff powers) should be also held to standards?
so you're saying that we should make sure there are notifications so that staff can be transparent with users that are not following the rules

Don't take some arrogant tone here, this suggestion is a professional measure, not something for you to draw attention to all of your glorious posts

Last edited:

Pick Yer Poison

is a kid now, is a squid now
Reaction score
Website
itisntrocketscience.tumblr.com
Whoah, whoah, whoah. Let's not get hostile here. That goes for both of you.

Currently we're working on anecdotal evidence, i.e. users saying they've had varying amounts of posts deleted for unknown reasons. Would it be possible for the staff to get some numbers in here so we can better judge whether this is even the issue we're making it out to be?

Biblius Kevin_28 rawrmynameisrex

Status
Not open for further replies.