SMP Feedback - Results

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
The following is the summary of results from the 3 days feedback form put up for SMP - This was taken from a total of 46 voters. Please note that any decisions or summaries are not final - and will undergo further discussion amongst staff and higher staff.

The vote for the map reset was incredibly close - with 22 voting for No, 23 voting for Yes, and 1 neutral - it's remained nearly 50:50 throughout the voting period.

Analysis of where people come from shows nothing we didn't come to expect, with america making up approximately half the user base and European countries taking up the other half (with primarily UK residents).

Hours online - all times (etc.) All converted from local times into GMT+0. Demonstrates most popular times for SMP.

Most popular days, was surprised to see saturday beating friday (albeit by a single vote).

A combination of the most popular days and times to show the most popular hours of the week on SMP. Algorithm used is piss basic so the scaling might be a bit off.

(Oh, and the end vote for PVE vs PVP ended on an average of 6.06, with 10 being PVP and 0 Being PVE - We think this is a pretty good balance so far)

Suggestions and feedback will 'not' be posted up, but will be analysed. We're already deciding on three new plugins and two plugin removals. So look forward to the coming updates!

Araidian

The Lucario
Reaction score
Sooo.... Does that mean a Map Reset will happen later in the year?
Please note that any decisions or summaries are not final - and will undergo further discussion amongst staff and higher staff and Araidian because RoK's base will live forever.

For serious though, thats intresting stuff. c: Dat' meeting time eh?

• Winner
Reactions: Notme

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Nice statistics, they are cool.

I wonder what plugin changes will be and hope to not see restart until next year XD (But its under decision of staff).

In my opinion restarts are good when map is heavily outdated/ruined/crowded and nothing big is going on AKA whole playerbase is bored and no one is making large projects.

• Agree
Reactions: JELLOMIX

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Just wanted to leave my opinion here.

I mean that we need no reset since only a small bit of the map is not wilderness. I walked 2000 blocks earlyer today, and i only found only one abounded house. So much of this big map is not yet being built on and 90% of the caves are still not explored. Its no need for a reset now, since its still many big projects going on, and smp is often almost full.

As the 1.3 is out and smp gets updated, its no mayor changes to the map itself, only the new ore emerald that is useless except for decoration as the staff dont want to have villager trading. I doubt the large biome opinion is a good chooise for smp, since it is almost impossible to travell through a jungel or over an ocean. I spent 15 min on creative flying to get out of a jungle. If large biomes was added to a smp server of this sice, we might end up with not having all the biomes.

The reset is at the end up to the staff, but if you want a reset, can U plz explain to me why?

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
Why I want a reset...

Well, it may just be bad luck, but I rarely find unexplored caves. Thats my first bit wanted to throw in.

Now, for 1.3, I'd love to see stuff like the easier enchantments put in. Plus the emeralds could be used a currency system of some sorts, if organized.

Finally, I feel like with a clean slate we could all have a fair chance to go at it. Not saying the server is unfair or something, but people like Danni, the CTY group and others are rich enough that fighting is easier, as anybody can win with full dia armor with max enchant, dia sword of high enchant and tons of potions (not saying ya'll are bad with PvP, but its lop-sided battles anymore).

Just my opinion :)

JELLOMIX

Reaction score
Why I want a reset...

Well, it may just be bad luck, but I rarely find unexplored caves. Thats my first bit wanted to throw in.

Now, for 1.3, I'd love to see stuff like the easier enchantments put in. Plus the emeralds could be used a currency system of some sorts, if organized.

Finally, I feel like with a clean slate we could all have a fair chance to go at it. Not saying the server is unfair or something, but people like Danni, the CTY group and others are rich enough that fighting is easier, as anybody can win with full dia armor with max enchant, dia sword of high enchant and tons of potions (not saying ya'll are bad with PvP, but its lop-sided battles anymore).

Sorry for your bad luck :( with caves, I can't dig 50 blocks without hitting one. As far as I know the new enchantments would be integrated into the map even without a reset. As for the wealth factor, all of those people will have fully enchanted diamond armor, and potions within a week of the reset.

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
FOREVER ALONE ON NEUTRAL FOR MAP RESET.

Anyways, These statistics are quite interesting ;)

I would love to explain my reasoning on this whole map reset thing, but Malc already has it :p

• Winner
Reactions: JKangaroo

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Why I want a reset...

Step 1: Go 500 blocks away from DGH
Step 2: Dig down or find cave entrance.
Step 3: Have fun :)

About the enchants, when 1.3 comes out you can very easy get a protection 3 dia armor, since you get xp from mining and melting anything, even cobble.

• Agree
Reactions: KelzE22

TubaRiver

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
There are plenty of pros and cons to have having the map reset. As well as everyone's personal 2 cents chipped in on the matter.

I do hope the staff really considers everything before coming to their result. And obviously no matter their decision there will be some butt-hurt people. But oh well. I look forward to seeing smp's future.

And danni, exp has increased in the way's you can obtain it. But it's harder to level up now, so that kinda balances it all out somewhat.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
There are plenty of pros and cons to have having the map reset. As well as everyone's personal 2 cents chipped in on the matter.

I do hope the staff really considers everything before coming to their result. And obviously no matter their decision there will be some butt-hurt people. But oh well. I look forward to seeing smp's future.

And danni, exp has increased in the way's you can obtain it. But it's harder to level up now, so that kinda balances it all out somewhat.
It is incredibely easy to level up in 1.3.1, and at level 30 (The new max level) you can get quadruple enchanted swords at max enchants very easily too. I managed to achieve level 30 and get a Sharpness IV Looting I diamond sword enchantment in roughly 20 minutes of mining/mob killing.

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Hmm strange, from single player on 1.3.1 within 20 minutes of mob killing and mining and smelting. I barely got to level 10.
You can mine quite alot in 20 minutes, end results also come from smelting + If you kill mobs while doing so.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score

I mined in 30 min in 1.3 and got to lvl 26, then i was out of food. XP is around the same to get if you kill on a mob spawner caus the 16 first lvls cost the same XP. With mining and melting you are higher than lvl 30 within an hour of mining without even trying.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
So much of this big map is not yet being built on and 90% of the caves are still not explored.
I have personally explored at least 10% of the caves in this map. That 90% number is not only unsubstantiated, but completely bogus.

I'd normally like to put off a map reset as well, but I voted in favour of the reset for two reasons. First, with a large project like UCON starting up, I think it'd be better to get the reset before they get too far into building the city, so that it will remain to be enjoyed for a longer amount of time. Second, although I've put a lot of effort and time into the projects I have on the server, I'd like to move on. I have new ideas of things I want to do and build, and I'm rather satisfied with the level of completeness I've achieved on the current map. If I wanted all of my creations to last forever, I'd build them in sp. (And I have built some of my things in sp for that reason.)

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I have personally explored at least 10% of the caves in this map. That 90% number is not only unsubstantiated, but completely bogus.

I'd normally like to put off a map reset as well, but I voted in favour of the reset for two reasons. First, with a large project like UCON starting up, I think it'd be better to get the reset before they get too far into building the city, so that it will remain to be enjoyed for a longer amount of time. Second, although I've put a lot of effort and time into the projects I have on the server, I'd like to move on. I have new ideas of things I want to do and build, and I'm rather satisfied with the level of completeness I've achieved on the current map. If I wanted all of my creations to last forever, I'd build them in sp. (And I have built some of my things in sp for that reason.)
The left side of the map is hardly built on, check the map, and i still mean that if not 90% of the caves are unexplored, atleast 75%. Most players also make a diamond mine at around 12y and dig just a big shaft there. You cant have explored 10% of the maps caves by yourself, remember that its also caves under all the big oceans.

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
The left side of the map is hardly built on, check the map, and i still mean that if not 90% of the caves are unexplored, atleast 75%. Most players also make a diamond mine at around 12y and dig just a big shaft there. You cant have explored 10% of the maps caves by yourself, remember that its also caves under all the big oceans.
Thats true, but I dont want to walk 2000 blocks to get to a new cave, and I dont think any of us wants that.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm well aware of where and how deep caves go, most of my exploration on this map has been under ocean. I can most certainly have explored 10% myself, possibly even more, and I doubt 75% are unexplored still. There are at least a handful of people who explore and never put a torch down, or do as I do and pick them back up on the way out of a place you'll never go to again. I even leave iron and whatnot behind now, because it's not nearly as valuable to me anymore, I usually take lapis, redstone and diamonds. And given that at least a few of us built houses underground, what you see on the map isn't nearly what has actually been dug out.

dutchmanflies

Reaction score
If we're voicing opinions here, I'll give mine. I apologize in advance for this seeming harsh, but I feel like it's gotta be said.
I feel like a map reset is merely pandering to the young and inexperienced players, to try to pull them into the server. At the same time, this is also ostracizing the people on this server who are dedicated to building up great clans/builds/PvP/etc. Sure, there are a few people who have magnificent builds on this server who want a clean slate (I've read a few in this post), but I feel like most people are just lazy, and do not want to work for their resources. They don't want to travel to find resources. They are afraid of big building projects, and want it all to be "fair".

A few problems with that.
First of all, why are we trying to expand our player base, when the server, at peak times, is very difficult to log into (As I type this post, the server sits at 22/24)?
Secondly, take a look at the map. Just look at it. Look at all the empty space. Cheaty, if you've explored 10% of the caves on the map, doesn't that give you some.. uh... 90% of the caves to look for? Sure, a few of those will be explored/mined out, but surely not all of them. It is a HUGE map. Just look at some of the biggest builds on the server (Kvasirheim), and look how miniscule it looks on the scale of the map. I'll give it to you. There are a few builds underground. Fine, but I'd say a majority of the map still remains unsettled. Of the servers I've played on, to be honest, this one seems the most desolate/least crowded.
Thirdly, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Okay, you reset a map, and everyone will be "equal" for about 2 hours. Then, the same people who have a lot of resources now will have them again. Resetting the map does not solve this "problem." All that resetting the map does is erase all the hard work that a lot of people have put into making this server known for having fantastic builds.

You'll say that a new player is afraid to join a server with massive builds. They'll be intimidated by how "far along" people are. I joined Blocktopia (Primordia) BECAUSE of the amazing builds. Did it scare me away? No. I ran out into an unpopulated area (and Primordia was much smaller, and more crowded), and build my little house. I liked the server people and lore so much, that I invited my friends Jello and Kelz to join. Were they afraid of the massive builds? No. They made Rothwildir, which I believe was one of the most impressive sites on Primordia. I quit after they shut down Primordia, but then was invited back by Jello, who had built Kvasirheim with Kelz. Was I afraid to join the server because there were huge, established clans? No. Why would you want to pander to someone who is unsure or turned off about joining a great server with great builders? Why would you want to attract those kinds of players? Raw numbers? Raw numbers do not make a good server, and you KNOW that.

You'll say that gameplay will become stale without a map reset. No, gameplay will become stale without server events. Gameplay will become stale without community. Putting a new map in to make the gameplay less stale is like putting a bandaid on a severed limb.

You'll say my ac hoc testimony isn't really "evidence" for my case, but I will reply simply with I know there are others who believe the way I do, and that we would be very sad to see our hard work go away. I know that I am no admin, and I probably am not staff material, but I think it'd be extraordinarily foolish to wipe everyone's work, unless there was a convincing majority of people. A 50/50 split is not that.

tl;dr: If you want to make a server for kids who will be happy for 2 weeks with a map reset, and then complain that they want a new map because of inequality, then that's the playerbase you will have. I, for one, will not be joining you for that chapter.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
If we're voicing opinions here, I'll give mine. I apologize in advance for this seeming harsh, but I feel like it's gotta be said.

I feel like a map reset is merely pandering to the young and inexperienced players, to try to pull them into the server. At the same time, this is also ostracizing the people on this server who are dedicated to building up great clans/builds/PvP/etc. Sure, there are a few people who have magnificent builds on this server who want a clean slate (I've read a few in this post), but I feel like most people are just lazy, and do not want to work for their resources. They don't want to travel to find resources. They are afraid of big building projects, and want it all to be "fair".
Wow. Ok. so:
- I'm 28 and have been with these servers off and on since they were "the ones", so I doubt I'm young and inexperienced.
- I've built roughly half of Aercem, as well as my under ocean complex and a few other things around the world. I have plans for more large builds to come, and certainly won't feel ostricized over a map reset. If anything, it'll allow me to leave those previous builds behind without worry.
- People are lazy, and don't want to work for their resources, but resetting the map would somehow play into their laziness and not take away everything they have? Either way, you have to work to get resources, which includes travel. As notty pointed out, 2000 blocks is excessive, but a few hundred in any given direction isn't. And I've already been those few hundred blocks and beyond. I'm perfectly willing to go further, but that isn't the point. The point is, lazy people are lazy. We had this argument about pvp elsewhere as well, lazy people don't want to do things that require doing. They won't want to mine again, they won't want to build again, they'll just want to sit on what they have.
- Who is afraid of big building projects and who is claiming the reset has to do with fairness?

A few problems with that.

First of all, why are we trying to expand our player base, when the server, at peak times, is very difficult to log into (As I type this post, the server sits at 22/24)?

Secondly, take a look at the map. Just look at it. Look at all the empty space. Cheaty, if you've explored 10% of the caves on the map, doesn't that give you some.. uh... 90% of the caves to look for? Sure, a few of those will be explored/mined out, but surely not all of them. It is a HUGE map. Just look at some of the biggest builds on the server (Kvasirheim), and look how miniscule it looks on the scale of the map. I'll give it to you. There are a few builds underground. Fine, but I'd say a majority of the map still remains unsettled. Of the servers I've played on, to be honest, this one seems the most desolate/least crowded.

Thirdly, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Okay, you reset a map, and everyone will be "equal" for about 2 hours. Then, the same people who have a lot of resources now will have them again. Resetting the map does not solve this "problem." All that resetting the map does is erase all the hard work that a lot of people have put into making this server known for having fantastic builds.
First of all, people come and go. No community survives without a source of new people. I highly doubt our high end staff is looking to keep exactly the community they have, because they know it won't happen. It might be a nice thought, but it won't happen.

Secondly, if I've explored 10% of all the caves, and 45 other people have explored even 2% of caves, there's a good chance that EVERY CAVE is explored. Now, that's very unlikely, but I'm nowhere near buying the idea that 90% of caves are unexplored. Further, why would I waste my time exploring caves that have already been explored? I mean, it's even against the rules to knowingly mine in another person's mines, so I'd literally be taking a stroll to look around? Being unsettled is a different argument, and sure, lots of the above ground map is unsettled. I guarantee certain parts of that map will have issues being settled, as people try to mine out some resources and find their newly settled land has already been stripped. In any case, I'm not saying there isn't room to build, nor that there isn't room for mining still. I've been rebutting the ridiculous notion that for all the time and effort that the many visitors of the server have put in, we haven't explored more than 10% of the map.

Thirdly, again, you're arguing against some perceived equality argument, which I don't think I've read yet (I certainly haven't made it). And we aren't discussing whether anything is broken. We're discussing maintenance and innovation. There's no fixing, we're discussing if it'll be an upgrade. It may or may not, and that decision is with the staff. The point is, we voted. A map reset breaks people's attachment to what they've built. Sure, we have lots of really good stuff. I haven't personally seen Kvasirheim, but the pictures looked impressive and I was debating coming out to see it. But what happens when you want to build something else? Do you abandon Kvasirheim? Do you try to keep track of 2 homes? What about 3? What happens with Kvasirheim when you stop visiting the server again? I loved Primordia as much as most people did, but I was also fairly sad to see more than a handful of villages and towns that were built by people and rarely had even 1 person still in them. I looked around dagon land quite a bit in the last 2 weeks of Primordia, and the only person I saw the entire time was Raxo, once. (And he killed me even though I hadn't stolen anything yet, but I was gonna so good call. :p)

You'll say that a new player is afraid to join a server with massive builds. They'll be intimidated by how "far along" people are. I joined Blocktopia (Primordia) BECAUSE of the amazing builds. Did it scare me away? No. I ran out into an unpopulated area (and Primordia was much smaller, and more crowded), and build my little house. I liked the server people and lore so much, that I invited my friends Jello and Kelz to join. Were they afraid of the massive builds? No. They made Rothwildir, which I believe was one of the most impressive sites on Primordia. I quit after they shut down Primordia, but then was invited back by Jello, who had built Kvasirheim with Kelz. Was I afraid to join the server because there were huge, established clans? No. Why would you want to pander to someone who is unsure or turned off about joining a great server with great builders? Why would you want to attract those kinds of players? Raw numbers? Raw numbers do not make a good server, and you KNOW that.
Who is saying that? Who is saying any of that? I'm confident that our staff are aware of the positive effects that nice builds have in regard to inspiring new people, regardless of size. And, unfortunately, anyone who's ever had to hire people will know: you have to go through a lot of people to find good ones. Blocktopia doesn't have an application process where you can screen out the crap. We give them a chance, and ban where appropriate. If we want to see more of the more desirable types, we do have to attract new players. But nobody is saying that a new map will do that better.

You'll say that gameplay will become stale without a map reset. No, gameplay will become stale without server events. Gameplay will become stale without community. Putting a new map in to make the gameplay less stale is like putting a bandaid on a severed limb.
I'm not sure who would have said that, but a map reset doesn't change the gameplay. Mojang does that. And a single event is just as good as a map reset, in fact I'd be inclined to believe a map reset generates more usage of the server. So running a single event is equal to or less than putting a bandaid on a severed limb? If we want to talk about keeping things exciting, we need to be honest about everything that makes a server exciting. And a map reset is one of those things. Surely, I'd like to see more events run. But that isn't what we voted for here.

You'll say my ac hoc testimony isn't really "evidence" for my case, but I will reply simply with I know there are others who believe the way I do, and that we would be very sad to see our hard work go away. I know that I am no admin, and I probably am not staff material, but I think it'd be extraordinarily foolish to wipe everyone's work, unless there was a convincing majority of people. A 50/50 split is not that.
Not many of us here have any evidence to work with anyway. However, replying in advance to a comment on your lack of evidence with more non-evidence doesn't support your case. Hearsay is hearsay, you can't admit it in a court of law, especially if it's backed by more hearsay. It's irrelevant though, as most of us are working with what boils down to hearsay. Your voice is as important as anyone else, I'd just like you to consider some logical and rational thought on your points. You've argued that a map reset would be pandering to people who want a map reset, a demographic that you've sorely misjudged. But wouldn't keeping the current map be pandering to people who don't want a map reset? Neither side of that argument is more valid than the other, thus, I suspect, the point of the vote in the first place.

tl;dr: If you want to make a server for kids who will be happy for 2 weeks with a map reset, and then complain that they want a new map because of inequality, then that's the playerbase you will have. I, for one, will not be joining you for that chapter.
So, if we get a map reset, you'll leave on baseless assertions as to why it happened and who it's for? Nice. Well, if it happens, o/

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Wow. Ok. so:
- I'm 28 and have been with these servers off and on since they were "the ones", so I doubt I'm young and inexperienced.
- I've built roughly half of Aercem, as well as my under ocean complex and a few other things around the world. I have plans for more large builds to come, and certainly won't feel ostricized over a map reset. If anything, it'll allow me to leave those previous builds behind without worry.
- People are lazy, and don't want to work for their resources, but resetting the map would somehow play into their laziness and not take away everything they have? Either way, you have to work to get resources, which includes travel. As notty pointed out, 2000 blocks is excessive, but a few hundred in any given direction isn't. And I've already been those few hundred blocks and beyond. I'm perfectly willing to go further, but that isn't the point. The point is, lazy people are lazy. We had this argument about pvp elsewhere as well, lazy people don't want to do things that require doing. They won't want to mine again, they won't want to build again, they'll just want to sit on what they have.
- Who is afraid of big building projects and who is claiming the reset has to do with fairness?

First of all, people come and go. No community survives without a source of new people. I highly doubt our high end staff is looking to keep exactly the community they have, because they know it won't happen. It might be a nice thought, but it won't happen.

Secondly, if I've explored 10% of all the caves, and 45 other people have explored even 2% of caves, there's a good chance that EVERY CAVE is explored. Now, that's very unlikely, but I'm nowhere near buying the idea that 90% of caves are unexplored. Further, why would I waste my time exploring caves that have already been explored? I mean, it's even against the rules to knowingly mine in another person's mines, so I'd literally be taking a stroll to look around? Being unsettled is a different argument, and sure, lots of the above ground map is unsettled. I guarantee certain parts of that map will have issues being settled, as people try to mine out some resources and find their newly settled land has already been stripped. In any case, I'm not saying there isn't room to build, nor that there isn't room for mining still. I've been rebutting the ridiculous notion that for all the time and effort that the many visitors of the server have put in, we haven't explored more than 10% of the map.

Thirdly, again, you're arguing against some perceived equality argument, which I don't think I've read yet (I certainly haven't made it). And we aren't discussing whether anything is broken. We're discussing maintenance and innovation. There's no fixing, we're discussing if it'll be an upgrade. It may or may not, and that decision is with the staff. The point is, we voted. A map reset breaks people's attachment to what they've built. Sure, we have lots of really good stuff. I haven't personally seen Kvasirheim, but the pictures looked impressive and I was debating coming out to see it. But what happens when you want to build something else? Do you abandon Kvasirheim? Do you try to keep track of 2 homes? What about 3? What happens with Kvasirheim when you stop visiting the server again? I loved Primordia as much as most people did, but I was also fairly sad to see more than a handful of villages and towns that were built by people and rarely had even 1 person still in them. I looked around dagon land quite a bit in the last 2 weeks of Primordia, and the only person I saw the entire time was Raxo, once. (And he killed me even though I hadn't stolen anything yet, but I was gonna so good call. :p)

Who is saying that? Who is saying any of that? I'm confident that our staff are aware of the positive effects that nice builds have in regard to inspiring new people, regardless of size. And, unfortunately, anyone who's ever had to hire people will know: you have to go through a lot of people to find good ones. Blocktopia doesn't have an application process where you can screen out the crap. We give them a chance, and ban where appropriate. If we want to see more of the more desirable types, we do have to attract new players. But nobody is saying that a new map will do that better.

I'm not sure who would have said that, but a map reset doesn't change the gameplay. Mojang does that. And a single event is just as good as a map reset, in fact I'd be inclined to believe a map reset generates more usage of the server. So running a single event is equal to or less than putting a bandaid on a severed limb? If we want to talk about keeping things exciting, we need to be honest about everything that makes a server exciting. And a map reset is one of those things. Surely, I'd like to see more events run. But that isn't what we voted for here.

Not many of us here have any evidence to work with anyway. However, replying in advance to a comment on your lack of evidence with more non-evidence doesn't support your case. Hearsay is hearsay, you can't admit it in a court of law, especially if it's backed by more hearsay. It's irrelevant though, as most of us are working with what boils down to hearsay. Your voice is as important as anyone else, I'd just like you to consider some logical and rational thought on your points. You've argued that a map reset would be pandering to people who want a map reset, a demographic that you've sorely misjudged. But wouldn't keeping the current map be pandering to people who don't want a map reset? Neither side of that argument is more valid than the other, thus, I suspect, the point of the vote in the first place.

So, if we get a map reset, you'll leave on baseless assertions as to why it happened and who it's for? Nice. Well, if it happens, o/
I honestly don't see how users can disagree with this, you've got to have sense to understand where you are coming from. Unless they didn't read the whole thread properly.