Sign this Minecraft Classic Petition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellokitty123

Reaction score
Does anyone have Mojang actually stating that they'd end Classic?
If not, you are all overreacting and should try to become more informed first.

Yeaaaaah...the thing is, whether or not they stated they'd "end it", they're still contributing to it dying faster. Eventually, yes, Classic will be completely phased out, I don't think anyone can deny that, but the point is, some people still like to enjoy to whilst they can. What has happened is that in removing Classic, it speeds up its death, (even though the whole username muck-up has probably been a more contributing factor).

In fact, this whole thread/petition had nothing to do with Classic being shut down, to quote from the original post:
"Many communities will be destroyed by the removal of this link because without the link, there will be no new guests to play on servers. This will cause all Classic Servers to shrink until they completely fall."

It says "communities will be destroyed by the removal of this link". They aren't referring to Classic being shut-down. They're referring to the fact that the removal of the link is speeding up Classic's death.
well why if blocktopia, one of the most informative servers, is saying that the server is shutting down, it should not lie! so get a life, just by seeing your fuk ing comment make me sick! we have to make a stand and sign the petition! whos with me!??????

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
well why if blocktopia, one of the most informative servers, is saying that the server is shutting down, it should not lie! so get a life, just by seeing your fuk ing comment make me sick! we have to make a stand and sign the petition! whos with me!??????
Calm down.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Does anyone have Mojang actually stating that they'd end Classic?
If not, you are all overreacting and should try to become more informed first.

Yeaaaaah...the thing is, whether or not they stated they'd "end it", they're still contributing to it dying faster. Eventually, yes, Classic will be completely phased out, I don't think anyone can deny that, but the point is, some people still like to enjoy to whilst they can. What has happened is that in removing Classic, it speeds up its death, (even though the whole username muck-up has probably been a more contributing factor).

In fact, this whole thread/petition had nothing to do with Classic being shut down, to quote from the original post:
"Many communities will be destroyed by the removal of this link because without the link, there will be no new guests to play on servers. This will cause all Classic Servers to shrink until they completely fall."

It says "communities will be destroyed by the removal of this link". They aren't referring to Classic being shut-down. They're referring to the fact that the removal of the link is speeding up Classic's death.
Calm down sheesh. Java 7 (has somewhat) and 8 will probably make it unplayable without Wom, so its useless.

Sploorky

Reaction score
I'm not sure what point you're trying to get to, as I'm fairly sure 'blocktopia' has never said anything on the status of classic. And I'm not sure what "the server" is. Please show respect to other users in the forums for their opinions, not "get a life your fucking comment makes me sick". Thanks.

Scrable

Reaction score
Classic is dead... Now they are shutting it down?
Well, classic was the only thing I could play on my Stone Age Laptop. Money making is the most important in gaming, it is really sad. The creativity goes away. Argh...

(Oh and now compare it to the big sharks in the gaming industry and you understand why I hate the tripleA market)

But a petition won't do anything, sadly. Maybe against governments but against governments, it won't bother them. Money is the only thing that matters today.

Venixu

Reaction score
Well, classic was the only thing I could play on my Stone Age Laptop. Money making is the most important in gaming, it is really sad. The creativity goes away. Argh...

(Oh and now compare it to the big sharks in the gaming industry and you understand why I hate the tripleA market)

But a petition won't do anything, sadly. Maybe against governments but against governments, it won't bother them. Money is the only thing that matters today.
Woah buddy, I didn't know the gaming companies worked with the governments. I understand that the idea of money drives the entire economy and the businesses, but uhhh...

Anyhow, there is Creative mode in Premium. If you can't run Premium at a suitable FPS, maybe you could try OpenClassic or try Optifine. I cannot speak for its quality, I just did a random Google search query.

Anyhow, uhhh... yeah.

Venixu

Reaction score
-snip-

Anyhow, there is Creative mode in Premium. If you can't run Premium at a suitable FPS, maybe you could try OpenClassic or try Optifine. I cannot speak for its quality, I just did a random Google search query.

Anyhow, uhhh... yeah.
OpenClassic is launcher for classic ;)
Close enough. I was looking up Classic clients and got mixed up with Optifine. Don't sweat it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Notme

Scrable

Reaction score

Woah buddy, I didn't know the gaming companies worked with the governments. I understand that the idea of money drives the entire economy and the businesses, but uhhh...
No, I didn't said that they work together, I only said, that money destroys games.
Now short and clear: This petition won't bother Mojang.

Lux

The Weeb
Donor
Reaction score
Honestly I would deferentially sign this. because a lot of us came from the classic servers (Lava, Zombie, Tnt) and I think there are still more communities out there that still run their servers on classic and I think it's idiotic what Mojang are doing right now... They just just leave a link their, so everyone can be happy....

P.S Why are they so fussed over classic minecraft anyway?

Venixu

Reaction score
Honestly I would deferentially sign this. because a lot of us came from the classic servers (Lava, Zombie, Tnt) and I think there are still more communities out there that still run their servers on classic and I think it's idiotic what Mojang are doing right now... They just just leave a link their, so everyone can be happy....

Everyone is so fussed about Classic since it's hidden from the front page of MC.net
And it's not idiotic what Mojang is doing...? The majority of players have moved from Classic to Premium (this was apparent in Blocktopia's own servers). Yes, there are dedicated players of Classic for numerous reasons, but other servers are still hosted. MC.net only hosted a page for listings of servers. You aren't the only one signing this fyi, which doesn't make you deferentially signing this. (so don't do appeal to mass population fallacy).

Besides, Classic server listings was simply removed from the front page. Some would argue Mojang should keep it for people who still want to play it, Mojang is doing it for money (what?), and Mojang is clueless. While I cannot find definitive evidence that Mojang was going to phase out Classic (this was shown with Survival Test), it was going to happen because of the shift of players. Um... The Classic servers are still up.

http://minecraft.net/classic/list
While you cannot connect using MC.net, there is the WoM Client. Um... _4_ does appeal to mass population in his main post. Classic cannot be completely dead, since there is the WoM Client and the servers are still listed. And then he goes off on ad hominem attacks.

tl;dr - You're making a big fuss trying to establish a link that was suppose to be phased out (outdated gamemode, there is Creative). The Classic communities have custom clients that replace the in-browser client. The servers are still listed (and WoM Client can create a list of servers that you can connect to). _4_'s biggest fault in his argument that noone cares is the ad hominem attack (other communities besides us care obviously).

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score

Mojang is doing it for money (what?)
Having Classic promoted like it was before they removed it from the main page is obviously going to affect the amount of money Mojang makes as some people (provided they made their accounts early enough) still play it instead of premium. I used to hate premium, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who had this viewpoint. Sadly, Mojang has become just like any other greedy corporation (well, to be fair, as cheatyface said earlier, people buying the game won't fund it forever) that's only interested in the $$$'s. It's interesting, actually, to see how Minecraft would cope in the next five years, if EVERYONE interested in Minecraft bought the game, killing off their main funding line.

Venixu

Reaction score
Having Classic promoted like it was before they removed it from the main page is obviously going to affect the amount of money Mojang makes as some people (provided they made their accounts early enough) still play it instead of premium. I used to hate premium, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who had this viewpoint. Sadly, Mojang has become just like any other greedy corporation (well, to be fair, as cheatyface said earlier, people buying the game won't fund it forever) that's only interested in the $$$'s.

I didn't realize a small link made Classic so largely demanded. (I am aware of it, but it's like clicking ToS in some cases.) Besides, you aren't forced to buy Premium. Notch doesn't care if you pirate the game... so I don't see how they're so greedy for your money.

http://torrentfreak.com/indie-game-dev-embraces-pirates-instead-of-fighting-futile-war-100915/
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/1121596044/how-piracy-works

To people who want to get paid for their digital works, myself included, that is a bit of a problem. All of society and economics is based on an old outdated model where giving something to someone would rid the original owner of their copy, so everyone who wanted a copy had to buy one from someone else who would lose theirs, and the only source of new copies was you. There might be actual development costs involved in making these copies. For example, for every wheel in the market, someone had to make that wheel. With digital copies, you only need to make the wheel once...

If someone pirates Minecraft instead of buying it, it means I’ve lost some “potential" revenue. Not actual revenue, as I can never go into debt by people pirating the game too much, but I might’ve made even more if that person had bought the game instead. But what if that person likes that game, talks about it to his or her friends, and then I manage to convince three of them to buy the game? I’d make three actual sales instead of blocking out the potentially missed sale of the original person which never cost me any money in the first case.

I won’t bother analyzing why people copy games and other digital media, as that’s really a moot point. We’ve got an amazingly effective way of distributing culture that is extremely beneficial for humanity, but it clashes with our current economical models. Piracy will win in the long run. It has to. The alternative is too scary.
Yes, while Mojang cares about your money, you have the viable option to pirate it. Notch doesn't care if you pirate it and feel bad. He doesn't care if your all friends pirate Minecraft. You can't argue that Mojang wants your money, because that's how the economy works. More money means it can function. If Mojang becomes defunct, Minecraft would be sold to Bestheda or some other studio.

And finally,
Please don’t interpret this text as me being fine with people pirating Minecraft. I’d MUCH rather have people pay for it so I can reinvest in hiring people and developing more cool games in the future. It’s also quite possible that if I get into a business deal with a larger company, there might be a larger push towards fighting piracy mostly because they’d require it, and I understand why they’d want that.
Notch wants the money to go for a better Mojang. All because that's how the economy works. (We can't destroy the economy, because the world will go into chaos, we can talk about that another day)

It's interesting, actually, to see how Minecraft would cope in the next five years, if EVERYONE interested in Minecraft bought the game, killing off their main funding line.
https://minecraft.net/store
http://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/1018151-minecraft-realms
http://www.psmag.com/culture/this-t...s-making-the-video-games-of-the-future-61085/
http://www.indiegamemag.com/mojang-are-considering-a-subscription-model-for-minecraft-in-the-future/
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...-to-Claim-YouTube-Revenue-on-Minecraft-Videos

Next time, be prepared. FYI, cultural distribution of Minecraft is keeping Mojang alive (distributed sales). Besides, Mojang's publicity as an indie gaming studio is well known. We are already aware of them (Indie studios have the issue of publication), so yeah... I also don't know how shutting off Classic extremely affected Mojang's sales... we have piracy.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score

SUDDENLY A GIANT ENEMY CRAB BOSS APPEARS

YOU BEST BE FIGHTIN' THIS GUY
Oh for fucks sake, please contribute to discussion. Not post random things.

Edit: I seriously hope I'm not out of some loop of a joke. I seriously wonder why someone would post a joke onto a serious discussion.
It's a very subtle dig at the economy of today

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
Next time, be prepared. FYI, cultural distribution of Minecraft is keeping Mojang alive (distributed sales). Besides, Mojang's publicity as an indie gaming studio is well known. We are already aware of them (Indie studios have the issue of publication), so yeah... I also don't know how shutting off Classic extremely affected Mojang's sales... we have piracy.

I'm afraid not all people are comfortable stealing. That, or they're just not intelligent enough.

Remember, Classic is still alive. The link isn't. They won't kill off Classic straight away because it'd cause an online uproar from people who still play Classic. If it wasn't the sales that was Mojang's reasoning, then what else could it be? Support? Oh wait, no, they haven't supported Classic in years. I don't really see any other reason for them trying to kill Classic. Someone ought to ask.

Venixu

Reaction score

I'm afraid not all people are comfortable stealing. That, or they're just not intelligent enough.

Remember, Classic is still alive. The link isn't. They won't kill off Classic straight away because it'd cause an online uproar from people who still play Classic. If it wasn't the sales that was Mojang's reasoning, then what else could it be? Support? Oh wait, no, they haven't supported Classic in years. I don't really see any other reason for them trying to kill Classic. Someone ought to ask.
Quick Google search shows tons of communities care (to address an old point)
https://mobile.twitter.com/mollstam/statuses/356778475958435841

I'm on mobile right now, can't look for why very fast. Be a good sport and ctfl+F the term "mollstam". http://kealper.com/irclogs/2013-01-07

SUDDENLY A GIANT ENEMY CRAB BOSS APPEARS

YOU BEST BE FIGHTIN' THIS GUY

Edit: I seriously hope I'm not out of some loop of a joke. I seriously wonder why someone would post a joke onto a serious discussion.
I'm dealing with you two later. I swear to God, I didn't know the economy was so dangerous to us. And, I immediately frown upon anyone using TVtrope to support their claim (URL of image). I will debunk that if I find it necessary. The crab is still irrelevant to this discussion, because we are not Communists. Stay in line, next time. I don't want TVtrope goofballs hanging around and getting their tinfoil hats. It is unnecessary to even discuss economy now. I don't give a two shits if it's funny in your opinion, I will simply not tolerate such behavior.

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score

Quick Google search shows tons of communities care (to address an old point)
https://mobile.twitter.com/mollstam/statuses/356778475958435841

I'm on mobile right now, can't look for why very fast. Be a good sport and ctfl+F the term "mollstam". http://kealper.com/irclogs/2013-01-07

Oh for @#!*% sake, please contribute to discussion. Not post random things.

I'm dealing with you two later. I swear to God, I didn't know the economy was so dangerous to us. And, I immediately frown upon anyone using TVtrope to support their claim (URL of image). I will debunk that if I find it necessary. The crab is still irrelevant to this discussion, because we are not Communists. Stay in line, next time. I don't want TVtrope goofballs hanging around and getting their tinfoil hats. It is unnecessary to even discuss economy now. I don't give a two @#!*% if it's funny in your opinion, I will simply not tolerate such behavior.

I'm not for the removal of the link. I never was. I'm trying to understand what advantage Mojang had in doing so. If it's not costs, or people not moving to premium, and support obviously hasn't been an issue since like...2010, then what else could it possibly be?

Venixu

Reaction score
Theodorre, can I get to you in the morning? I'll look for why Mojang removed the link in the first place (which should have been the job of the first poster and petition creator). Did you look for mollstam in the logs like I asked you to?
http://kealper.com/irclogs/2013-01-07

In the meantime, I'll write a paper about the economy being necessary for society, along with my UK filter thread.

Baker93

Alkaqube
Reaction score

I'm dealing with you two later. I swear to God, I didn't know the economy was so dangerous to us. And, I immediately frown upon anyone using TVtrope to support their claim (URL of image). I will debunk that if I find it necessary. The crab is still irrelevant to this discussion, because we are not Communists. Stay in line, next time. I don't want TVtrope goofballs hanging around and getting their tinfoil hats. It is unnecessary to even discuss economy now. I don't give a two shits if it's funny in your opinion, I will simply not tolerate such behavior.
I understand that you are passionate about this and there is nothing wrong with that. However, becoming so aggressive when somebody posts an irrelevant image really isn't worked getting all that worked up about, all you are doing by commenting on it is further derailing the thread. If you feel someone has broken forum rules, report it straight away. Do not create a passive aggressive post and then report it because 9 times out of ten i will make the situation worse and make it more difficult for forum moderators to clean up.

Keep it on topic please people ;)

• Thank You
Reactions: Forseti

_4_

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/362962536016003075

Classic looks to be an option in the new launcher soon.

Woah that actually sounds pretty awesome. Makes it so I dont need to use 3 different clients to play all my favorite versions. Plus I'm willing to bet they'll have more versions then most launchers. Like individual Classic updatesetc..

On a side note the petition slowed around 330 people its past 360 right now, but hasnt impacted anything as most you probably knew it wouldn't thankyou for trying to those who did.

EDIT:

Also didn't mean to have all this arguing go on between people. I'd stop before the topic is locked or people punished. Flam flame go away

• Love
Reactions: Notme and JKangaroo
Status
Not open for further replies.