Sign this Minecraft Classic Petition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have Mojang actually stating that they'd end Classic?
If not, you are all overreacting and should try to become more informed first.

Yeaaaaah...the thing is, whether or not they stated they'd "end it", they're still contributing to it dying faster. Eventually, yes, Classic will be completely phased out, I don't think anyone can deny that, but the point is, some people still like to enjoy to whilst they can. What has happened is that in removing Classic, it speeds up its death, (even though the whole username muck-up has probably been a more contributing factor).

In fact, this whole thread/petition had nothing to do with Classic being shut down, to quote from the original post:
"Many communities will be destroyed by the removal of this link because without the link, there will be no new guests to play on servers. This will cause all Classic Servers to shrink until they completely fall."

It says "communities will be destroyed by the removal of this link". They aren't referring to Classic being shut-down. They're referring to the fact that the removal of the link is speeding up Classic's death.
And my first response specifically addresses that. Communities that can't put effort into themselves won't survive. And yes, money is the worlds expression for value of effort, so money is a contributing factor. This community doesn't survive because a couple of us really want it to, it does because a lot of people put in effort, and many of us donate money.

Like I said before, there's more than one way to get new players. If I can google "classic minecraft server" and find a community, then they're off to a better start than most.

Zeus42000

Reaction score
This is a good petition, but theres one fact. Since November 2012, if i recall correctly, new people to Minecraft CANNOT play classic without buying Minecraft. As they say, All good things must come to an end. Ill probably sign it, good luck guys!!

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
And my first response specifically addresses that. Communities that can't put effort into themselves won't survive. And yes, money is the worlds expression for value of effort, so money is a contributing factor. This community doesn't survive because a couple of us really want it to, it does because a lot of people put in effort, and many of us donate money.

Like I said before, there's more than one way to get new players. If I can google "classic minecraft server" and find a community, then they're off to a better start than most.
Yeah, but suppose they keep having no Classic button on their front page. Regardless of whether communities can 'keep themselves alive' it's gonna make it difficult. As Zeus said, the whole Minecraft username issue is the real killer, we probably should have protested THAT when it first became an issue.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Lupus_Stevens

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Eventually it will be cut off, and it will upset people, regardless of when it happens and how many petitions you spam Mojang with. Stop clinging to the past and move on, it's just one outdated version of one video game.

• Disagree
Reactions: RyanDodd

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
... I'm a nice person. And like all people, I have my own opinions.

When Survival Multiplayer was being implemented for the first time, I tried it out right away. Displeased by the lag, I just went back to Classic Zombie.

After some time, things happened IRL, WoM changed their physics, and thus was banned from Zombie. I was inactive from the internet for some time, and was demoted for such.

At this time, I had stopped playing Zombie, and moved to SMP... But, that does not mean I do not like Zombie. It just didn't feel the same as it did, playing it through the browser. (Sure, sometime later WoM was allowed again with hacks off, and xWoM was another thing, but I was already used to Premium at the time.)

... That nostalgia trip aside, I've not really had the heart for Classic for quite some time... But, I'm not one to let things die, just because many people think their lives are over. Many people still play on Classic, and not everyone has $28 on the ready for the internet.

... But, I also don't think Classic's dying just yet. Sure, it may seem like Mojang is smothering Classic with a pillow, but I doubt most new players to Minecraft are going for Classic rather than Premium. (I may be entirely wrong on this, but if you put the two side-by-side, I would think most people would pick up Premium.)

In my honest opinion, I don't think having the link on the front page is very much worth it...

... But, where's the harm in keeping it there? It's not like a giant elephant is taking up the space of a tiny room, it's just a small figurine that you occasionally look at, remembering the memories you've had with it.

In short, don't come down to the last sentence; actually read the paragraph! Flippin' skipping my rant...

Faliara

Reaction score
Oh come on...

There are things about Classic that Premium just can't give! For example, when Blocktopia Lava Classic was still around, you could make any type of structure you want and it'll still survive... You can make an awesome hotel spawn which you can only make with a lot of patience in collecting the stuff, and everyone can live in it! ... I have also experienced this novelty in another server as well. I honestly feel shackled in when it comes to my potential in RoF. I'm not saying to bring back Lava Classic, though, you'll never budge on that.

I'm saying that, in Classic, when we go on servers, there are things manipulated in it that you could never do in Premium... And possibly make some people feel more happier then they would be in Premium. That's my feeling in Lava Classic. I want to let those who're still enjoying that novelty a chance...

But I don't have DAMN TWITTER!

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh come on...

There are things about Classic that Premium just can't give! For example, when Blocktopia Lava Classic was still around, you could make any type of structure you want and it'll still survive... You can make an awesome hotel spawn which you can only make with a lot of patience in collecting the stuff, and everyone can live in it! ... I have also experienced this novelty in another server as well. I honestly feel shackled in when it comes to my potential in RoF. I'm not saying to bring back Lava Classic, though, you'll never budge on that.

I'm saying that, in Classic, when we go on servers, there are things manipulated in it that you could never do in Premium... And possibly make some people feel more happier then they would be in Premium. That's my feeling in Lava Classic. I want to let those who're still enjoying that novelty a chance...

Dev's can do just about anything they want if they really know what they're doing. You can fully revert premium to classic, but what's the point?
... But, where's the harm in keeping it there? It's not like a giant elephant is taking up the space of a tiny room, it's just a small figurine that you occasionally look at, remembering the memories you've had with it.
The harm would be the web hosting fees for network traffic between the servers that people connect to. In the long run, they'd also spend less if repeat classic customers downloaded the game instead of always launching from their site. If you just want to look at it, why not leave the text there but not link it?

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Oh come on...

Are you saying the limitations classic forces upon you because it's OLD are somehow surpassing the boundless potential of premium? If you want to build something cool you go to premium. If you want unique game modes...both can offer, but I still think Premium succeeds by far.

gettinthere

Reaction score
Oh come on...

Are you saying the limitations classic forces upon you because it's OLD are somehow surpassing the boundless potential of premium? If you want to build something cool you go to premium. If you want unique game modes...both can offer, but I still think Premium succeeds by far.
And to piggyback on jayfeather, we have Creative mode in Premium. I can't possibly see how Classic elements are removed entirely from the Premium version.

Edit: Ok, well besides the loss of communities and players that can't afford Premium when their account was made before some month this year. (If you made your account after that certain month, you can't play Classic). I'm not too sure how to combat the loss of players that can't afford Premium. Maybe perhaps someone was working on an alternative client that can play Classic. I'm sure the servers are still up (can't say which server I specifically refer to due to advertisement)

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
The harm would be the web hosting fees for network traffic between the servers that people connect to. In the long run, they'd also spend less if repeat classic customers downloaded the game instead of always launching from their site. If you just want to look at it, why not leave the text there but not link it?
T'was an obscure metaphor, is all.

And if you bring money into the equation, you have to think about how much Mojang makes. You can't really say they're losing money by keeping up Classic on their site. :p

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
T'was an obscure metaphor, is all.

And if you bring money into the equation, you have to think about how much Mojang makes. You can't really say they're losing money by keeping up Classic on their site. :p
It's easy to say they'd make more by not paying for it. That's the point. If keeping the classic links brought them any revenue, it'd be an easy argument that they should keep them there.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
It's easy to say they'd make more by not paying for it. That's the point. If keeping the classic links brought them any revenue, it'd be an easy argument that they should keep them there.
Well, everyone's a greedy bastard. If they wish to save some money from not keeping Classic up, they're gonna piss some people off, that's for sure.

It still doesn't matter much to me, but it's still completely up to Mojang, after all.

Also, remember that they only took off the link to the servers on the front page. You can still clearly get to the serverlist indirectly through Google or the like.

gettinthere

Reaction score
Well, everyone's a greedy bastard. If they wish to save some money from not keeping Classic up, they're gonna piss some people off, that's for sure.

It still doesn't matter much to me, but it's still completely up to Mojang, after all.

Also, remember that they only took off the link to the servers on the front page. You can still clearly get to the serverlist indirectly through Google or the like.
Um.... Mojang simply has a list of servers on the website. Communities themselves host the servers? Also, this does confirm that Mojang had hid the Classic game from its website.

Edit: Taken from MCWiki.
To be able to connect to a server in Minecraft Classic from the Server List, a server must broadcast to minecraft.net a so-called "heartbeat" every few minutes.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score

Um.... Mojang simply has a list of servers on the website. Communities themselves host the servers? Also, this does confirm that Mojang had hid the Classic game from its website.

Edit: Taken from MCWiki.
To be able to connect to a server in Minecraft Classic from the Server List, a server must broadcast to minecraft.net a so-called "heartbeat" every few minutes.
Yes. And minecraft.net has to have a port open and receive this traffic every few minutes from each server. Point still remains that it costs them bandwidth, and if you're willing to find servers through google then you aren't the person crying about this.

And yes, they'll piss people off. People who wanted the free version of their product. They'll lose so much money from that.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
Yes. And minecraft.net has to have a port open and receive this traffic every few minutes from each server. Point still remains that it costs them bandwidth, and if you're willing to find servers through google then you aren't the person crying about this.
I never said I was the person crying about this. :p

I clearly stated that it doesn't matter much to me, in terms of what they do with the link on the front page, but I feel they might as well keep it there.

From what I can tell, they haven't removed anything but the link on the front page, and don't plan on removing anything else. The main issue was for new people who play Classic from the browser, I would think.

And yes, they'll piss people off. People who wanted the free version of their product. They'll lose so much money from that.
... Aren't you just proving my point with that sarcastic statement? xD

I've been saying they won't be losing any money, so I don't really see the point in keeping the link off the front page. :p

Pikmon2

Reaction score

I've been saying they won't be losing any money, so I don't really see the point in keeping the link off the front page. :p

I think they are just trying to push premium over classic at this point. Also they do lose money off of Classic, with the servers page, updating it, ect. Still, I'll say it probably doesn't cost to much. But still, the higher the traffic the higher the cost, so if anything I think that could be why as well, I doubt they are trying to outright kill classic though.

• Useful
  • Winner
Reactions: Faliara and Duffie

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
I never said I was the person crying about this. :p
This was directed at the other person.

They ARE losing money in the form of internet service fees. The point of my sarcasm was that the people using the free version of Mojang's product are only costing them money. It may be an insignificant amount, I don't know how many people still use classic or what their hosting fees look like, but the point remains that Mojang pays for internet usage, and people using classic don't pay Mojang for anything. Making these customers angry and losing their 'business' would be saving costs.

ZombiePineapple

The Hell Raiser
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I won't be signing the petition because of the fact that since not many people are looking to play classic anymore (my opinion go ahead and disagree if you wish but hey I'm just saying my two cents). I would like to help but I'm personally not signing this

But good luck with it none the less
Thank you for the luck :3 but really if you care about classic and had good memories on it then what's the problem with just taking 20 seconds of your generous time and signing it? I can see if you don't but it's a small community and it needs every little bit of help that it can get. Even if you cant STAND classic it still means a lot to me and others. Just because you don't see many people playing it doesnt mean it still isnt there. People dont play it anymore because Mojang has basically cut the chord several times over on Classic. Things like the Menu pop up, not allowing new users to play and register, sound removal, and the precise hiding of the links on the homepage is all Mojangs doings. Don't forget Blocktopia was still pretty popular up until and a little after they stopped allowing new users to play.
Late response but I know what you mean. For me, I along with everyone else here started with classic most likely and will always have fond memories. Do I wish for classic to be what it was in 2010-2011 even though I wasn't around till March of 2011. I would love it. Would it happen? Probably not. Yes a lot of small communities that are starting out are getting their foot in the door with classic, just like BT did and here we are today.

I miss classic as the next guy. But the days of classic are long and forgotten. I don't play on Premium anymore but I don't play on classic either. I lagged less on classic. Again, Mojang taking classic off their page just results in them wanting to focus more on premium and less on classic. The more people that buy premium to play Premium results in more money for them. Why have a feature like classic if you are trying to make money? If I was a smart businessman I would focus more on the feature that brings you money. That is all Mojang is doing, they are just making a smart financial move. I have nothing against people who still play classic. (Again if you wish to disagree go ahead nothing is stopping you.)

Good luck and I wish you the best in your effort but from what I hear the petition has at least 217+ signatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.