Status
Not open for further replies.

Shande

The Real Slim Shande
Donor
Reaction score
In-game username: Shande

Time-zone: GMT +0 (Gmt Standard Time)

How much time will you be able to spend staffing the server each day? Normally when I do tend to come on the server, I always pull off about 3-4 hours. It would possibly stay at that same amount of hours or increase depending on the situation.

What do you think the responsibilities of an operator are on this server? Well, the most obvious would be to make sure that everything is in order on the server at all times. Other things will also include helping as much as possible with staff duties, contributing to helping the server grow and making sure everyone is happy.

What sets you apart from other applicants? Does being Scottish count? Also the fact I have been Operator 7-8 times now? I have actually completely lost count. I have a lot of experience, basically.

What do you believe your greatest weaknesses are as a player and/or staff member? I believe my greatest weaknesses has got to be my swearing. But this server has gotten pretty mature over the past few months.

How would you approach a problem that you are unfamiliar with? I would ping someone, who is available, to help me with this unfamiliar problem. I have had pretty much a lot of experience with being an Operator so I have been in nearly every situation you could be in as an Operator, so I would hopefully not need to do that.

What previous experience staffing on Blocktopia servers do you have?
Classic Lava Op Twice +VetOP,
AoD OP,
A+T OP Twice,
Primordia OP
RoF OP

References: WiiGoGetter, IQDestroyer, FrenchSanta and Kevin_28

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
Me and the 3 other references were expecting a lot more than this from you. That said, can't really argue with prior experience or the basics of your interpretations. Can't complain about your behavior ingame and it's definitely above average.

Would like to see you put a bit more effort into the application before I give my rating.

• Agree
Reactions: FrenchSanta12

X__x

Resident Zombie
Reaction score
I'll be up front with you, Shande. I'm not giving a vote on your app, but it doesn't feel it has the necessary strength backing it up. I do see you occasionally, but while on, you seem to be off in your own corner or having fun with friends. Swearing doesn't seem to be a real problem with you, though. At least, for what I see during my usual ten hour shifts. I recognize you've got the talent and time, there's no doubt about it. You've got a bit of experience, too, and I don't deny that. The app, though.. Barely more than two lines per statement posed in the application definitely looks as if it wasn't really giving a second thought and just breezed through. Perhaps if this was thoroughly thought through? I know you're capable of doing a much better application than this.

Shande

The Real Slim Shande
Donor
Reaction score
This is who I am though. Why would I want to continue talking when I can just get straight to the point? I have always been like that. I never dance around the situation, I jump right into it. I have always been like that as a player and as the times I have been staff. I guess you could also say that is what also sets me apart from any other applicant..

• Optimistic
Reactions: Benrune

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
Given that logic, I can completely relate to it. Probably ended up forgetting or something, but either way, would be very happy to have you back again. Can always respect being able to cut through the irrelevancies and get straight to it.

+1
and yes, "the irrelevancies" is selfcensoring

cooliorules

That Awkward Noodle
Donor
Reaction score
Honestly, I can't remember seeing you on in the past month. I understand timezones are annoying and stuff, but I still seem to manage to see people from (generally) all timezones within a month's time.

On the upside, you have prior experience so you would be able to slide into the position really well.

As I haven't see you, I will be giving you a 0. Good luck with the rest of your app!

(If I see you online more and see how you present yourself (so attitude, helpfulness, etc.) I will of course change my vote if it's needed)

Last edited:

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't doubt you'd do well as an Operator taking into the consideration you have so much staffing experience, and I also get that you like to get straight to the point (even if you could still elaborate a bit more imo). But, as coolio said I've hardly seen you within the past month or so and on the weekends and such I tend to be on really late/early for me so I don't understand why I haven't seen you. This also into consideration, I'm giving you a 0 for now, until I see something else that may effect my decision (such as you actually being online.)

Shande

The Real Slim Shande
Donor
Reaction score
The thing is, the times when you two are online, I am either just waking up before you two get off, or, hardly anyone is online in which case I think there is no "fun" to be had while on the server. I normally only ever go on when its get late as more people show up. This will of course change as I would need to take care of the times that no one else can.

Lux

The Weeb
Donor
Reaction score
Alright I think you will be a great operator, I think you would be a great addition to the RoF team. Your past expediences make you stand out a lot from the other applications. Also when I see you on, I find you being helpful a lot, even when there is no staff member online, you still help out as much as you can without getting in the way of the staff team. Also I agree with french when she means that you're straight to the point. Even though your on-time is not that strong, I reckon when you get op, your on-time will shoot up a lot

I will be giving you a +1 Just don't let me down, be sure to keep active :)

P.S: However, I really feel this application lacks some detail..

Last edited:

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score
hardly anyone is online in which case I think there is no "fun" to be had while on the server.
The server should be fun regardless of how many people are on it ;) Of course there tends to be more fun with larger groups of people; but there is definitely fun to be found when its just you or another online. I have seen you a few times, but I have not really watched you in-depth, but you are active. The past experience is great and all but I'm going to go with a 0 for now.

• Agree

Shande

The Real Slim Shande
Donor
Reaction score
Ok, honestly. Do not give me "I have not seen you enough/haven't watched you enough" votes. I have been on this server since the very beginning. I have always been here. You all have had clearly enough time to know how I act and how I think. So unless you are using that excuse to not put a proper vote in, don't use it.

And if you really think I don't deserve the position, then give me the reasons why I shouldn't have it and I will continue to approve on those skills. If I do get accepted and I do not know I have those errors, do you believe I would be fit for the roll?

Butamou

Grandmason
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, honestly. Do not give me "I have not seen you enough/haven't watched you enough" votes. I have been on this server since the very beginning. I have always been here. You all have had clearly enough time to know how I act and how I think. So unless you are using that excuse to not put a proper vote in, don't use it.

And if you really think I don't deserve the position, then give me the reasons why I shouldn't have it and I will continue to approve on those skills. If I do get accepted and I do not know I have those errors, do you believe I would be fit for the roll?
We use, or I should say I use, the "have not seen enough" because typically when and IF we do actually see you in the more recent months, and even weeks, to decided current behavior not past. The past is a great place to get experience but don't dwell in it. I look at current behavior, people change whether for better or worse; and if you would like me to use your current behavior I have seen you talk little, and make houses to yourself. This is because typically we are only on a single round together. If you would like me to use your past, then it would be the same from what I remember. Like I said in my previous one, you're active and you have past experience which is great. But from what I've read in this application from your responses and your first post gives me enough indication on your behavior currently.

Regardless of the emoticon this was a serious concern of mine:
The server should be fun regardless of how many people are on it ;) Of course there tends to be more fun with larger groups of people; but there is definitely fun to be found when its just you or another online. I
Staff should not get bored of playing due to the number of people online. There have been staff that signed up because they thought it was fun and then left because it no longer was, like companies, servers would like their staff for the long term not a month or two.

Your responses in the application also do not seem to be thought out. Being blunt is apart of my character too, but I do not limit myself to a sentence or two. Most staff use length, and detail of applications to see how much motivation and how much time or effort people put into this position before even staffing here.

For most applicants or people that even ask me for a reference I tell them to help out more. By helping this includes: Making community homes, inviting lower rank (yes players) to your home, collect items and give them away to lower ranks (armor, blocks etc), showing new people the ropes if staff aren't around, giving advice on the rules and that if someone is breaking a rule inform them, if they continue then report them.

These are some things you could work on from what I've seen of you. Probably only an hour in the past 2 weeks or so. So if you would like me to use the above, instead of an excuse that benefits applicants, then I will be going with a -1

Last edited:

Shande

The Real Slim Shande
Donor
Reaction score
We use, or I should say I use, the "have not seen enough" because typically when and IF we do actually see you in the more recent months, and even weeks, to decided current behavior not past. The past is a great place to get experience but don't dwell in it. I look at current behavior, people change whether for better or worse; and if you would like me to use your current behavior I have seen you talk little, and make houses to yourself. This is because typically we are only on a single round together. If you would like me to use your past, then it would be the same from what I remember. Like I said in my previous one, you're active and you have past experience which is great. But from what I've read in this application from your responses and your first post gives me enough indication on your behavior currently.

Regardless of the emoticon this was a serious concern of mine:

Staff should not get bored of playing due to the number of people online. There have been staff that signed up because they thought it was fun and then left because it no longer was, like companies, servers would like their staff for the long term not a month or two.

Your responses in the application also do not seem to be thought out. Being blunt is apart of my character too, but I do not limit myself to a sentence or two. Most staff use length, and detail of applications to see how motivation and how much time or effort people put into this position before even staffing here.

For most applicants or people that even ask me for a reference I tell them to help out more. By helping this includes: Making community homes, inviting lower rank (yes players) to your home, collect items and give them away to lower ranks (armor, blocks etc), showing new people the ropes if staff aren't around, giving advice on the rules and that if someone is breaking a rule inform them, if they continue then report them.

These are some things you could work on from what I've seen of you. Probably only an hour in the past 2 weeks or so. So if you would like me to use the above, instead of an excuse that benefits applicants, then I will be going with a -1
Ah see, this is what I love to hear. Actual voting instead of 0's.

I'll work on what you said.

• Love
Reactions: FreakyCupcake

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
To be blunt; I'm not liking your attitude. As Butamou said, 0 votes are used for a reason. Informing you we haven't seen you online (personally) to give you an actual vote is not an 'excuse' it's a way of saying "Hey, here's my input, but I'm not giving you a vote because I haven't seen your current behaviour therefore I'm not in a place to vote at the moment." Part of our job is replying to staff applications and if we don't feel like we've seen enough of a person then we have every right to give a zero and explain why, even if it's because we haven't seen you enough - which is in fact quite a legitimate answer.

cooliorules

That Awkward Noodle
Donor
Reaction score
Honestly not liking the attitude that I see being presented. You're trying to get a staff position. Telling the staff that we're using an excuse to not vote -1 or +1 isn't going to help you in the slightest. I generally don't see people who are in your timezone, it's just the way that timezones work. I see people who live in America when I wake up for an hour or so. But UK (and around GMT+1-+3) I just don't see.
After seeing your reaction to Toiletprincess and I saying that we don't see you much (seeing we're in the same timezone, heck even the same suburb), I'm on the edge of changing my vote to -1. I just don't like the snipy attitude.

Shande

The Real Slim Shande
Donor
Reaction score
To be blunt; I'm not liking your attitude. As Butamou said, 0 votes are used for a reason. Informing you we haven't seen you online (personally) to give you an actual vote is not an 'excuse' it's a way of saying "Hey, here's my input, but I'm not giving you a vote because I haven't seen your current behaviour therefore I'm not in a place to vote at the moment." Part of our job is replying to staff applications and if we don't feel like we've seen enough of a person then we have every right to give a zero and explain why, even if it's because we haven't seen you enough - which is in fact quite a legitimate answer.
The thing is, I have seen you enough. We are nearly online every time together.

Also, just so you know, that rant wasn't to you two. It was to the entire staff team that was voting and had put "don't see you enough" in their vote.

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
The thing is, I have seen you enough. We are nearly online every time together.

Also, just so you know, that rant wasn't to you two. It was to the entire staff team that was voting and had put "don't see you enough" in their vote.
I know I have been on at the same time as you a few times, but unfortunately the times when we are on together I'm not usually focused on the game - at those times I'm most often focused on something else. I know in my case I just haven't been paying attention at the right times, I don't speak solely for myself in that aspect, but for the others that have replied in the same way, too. In my case it's my fault and I apologise but personally I'm not voting yet because of that.

FrenchSanta12

Voldemort
Reaction score
Point the cooliorules made:
Honestly not liking the attitude that I see being presented. You're trying to get a staff position. Telling the staff that we're using an excuse to not vote -1 or +1 isn't going to help you in the slightest. I'm on the edge of changing my vote to -1. I just don't like the snipy attitude.
Did not reply to this application faster because it seems like we all agree that we expected more of you, even if you're the type of person that just gets straight to the point. Must say that I am disappointed and even slightly ashamed that I referenced you, you let me down. Though you will do great in the staff position, considering your past staff experience, but I did not admire your way of responding to negative/ neutral votes.. I feel as if your character will not make the players aspire to play on the server. -1

Shande

The Real Slim Shande
Donor
Reaction score
Point the cooliorules made:

Did not reply to this application faster because it seems like we all agree that we expected more of you, even if you're the type of person that just gets straight to the point. Must say that I am disappointed and even slightly ashamed that I referenced you, you let me down. Though you will do great in the staff position, considering your past staff experience, but I did not admire your way of responding to negative/ neutral votes.. I feel as if your character will not make the players aspire to play on the server. -1
Would not make players play on the server...So the way I act now, the way I play on the server this very moment, aspires other players to not play on the server? Alright..

I basically befriend nearly everyone that comes on the server. I let everyone into the things that I build unlike the other 90% of the server that sets up there own rules and don't even let players into there homes. These other players are the ones that make people not want to continue because all they do is shut them out.

Also, my attitude?...I made one open statement about people not seeing me when I see them constantly (minus coolie who lives in Australia so I am basically 10 hours something away from her) and that makes me negative nancy? I just thought that if those people that have seen me enough are just deciding to put that vote down was because they had no clue what to vote at that time.

Kuyajer

Tyoping Legned
Reaction score
I have not seen you enough to had made a proper judgement on your character and/or ability as a staff member. Really though, I haven't been able to see you as much as I would like. From what I have seen, you seem to be fun and fairly welcoming, although some more interaction with newer players could be helpful. I realize it's impossible to talk to someone you don't know as if they're an old friend, and I don't expect that, but it's something to look at, though you certainly do a good job at this already. One other point I'd like to throw in is AFK. Every time I've seen you, you've been AFK for some period of time during a round, every round. While sitting in a house for 35 minutes may not be the most fun in the world, going away for extended periods of time is something else to be thought about. I'm being a bit hypocritical, and I think it's fine to not really be 100% focused on the game, but as Butamou put it, not having interest in the game itself is somewhat concerning.

As for attitude; I'd like to avoid this application from turning into a place of dispute. You've got past experience, moreso than some of our current operators and staff members, but that doesn't give you a get-out-of jail free card. If you think you get to pass just because of past experience, without showing the staff you're deserving, then you're wrong. You may think a short application and short answers are acceptable, but you need to be explicit in response. Right now you've showed me, personally, no reason why you should be promoted. Past experience is nice, but it alone won't get you where you want to be. To touch on your responses, there's no problem with asking for real response and actual advice, and I agree with you that "I haven't seen you enough" isn't a valid excuse not to say anything, sometimes it's a legitimate reason. In my case, I wasn't around when you were, and I've only just recently been introduced to you, so I've waited some time to try and formulate a proper gauge of character. The responses in this application, however, have only held negative impact on my impression.
Ah see, this is what I love to hear. Actual voting instead of 0's.

I'll work on what you said.
This for example. I like that you want real responses, actual feedback so you can prove your worth and tenacity, but the way you respond to certain things is rather belligerent. Telling staff how to staff, especially on a staff applications and setting up for arguments isn't going to help you out. At all.
Would not make players play on the server...So the way I act now, the way I play on the server this very moment, aspires other players to not play on the server? Alright..

If you want better responses, you need to show that in the way you act yourself. I've noticed you tend to defend yourself rather aggressively. I understand you feel like we should be giving better responses, which is what I'm attempting to do, but responding in that manner is not the way to do it. If you have any issues, address them privately, individually, and without any hostility. Otherwise, respond in a more professional manner. If you were applying for a job and saw someone doing something wrong, sure you'd want them to correct it, but you don't give them a blunt "You're doing it wrong", and then instruct them how to do it. Instead, you'd attempt to be a little more polite about it, something more along the lines of "Hey, I've done this before and I think you should be doing X, not Y". There are varying degrees of assertiveness to be had, but an application is not the place to have a heated atmosphere, in fact, this is probably the place where you'd least want that kind of feeling. A short application is by no means bad, but yours begs for more attention. Getting to the point doesn't necessarily equate to short.
What do you think the responsibilities of an operator are on this server? Well, the most obvious would be to make sure that everything is in order on the server at all times. Other things will also include helping as much as possible with staff duties, contributing to helping the server grow and making sure everyone is happy.
What do you mean "everything is order?" Expand on your ideas. All I'm getting from this is a vague "I'll be helpful" answer.
What sets you apart from other applicants? Does being Scottish count? Also the fact I have been Operator 7-8 times now? I have actually completely lost count. I have a lot of experience, basically.
You could expand on this more. Experience is nice, but what else do you have to offer? I'm not saying you're under-qualified, hell, if we're talking in experience, you've got me, and quite a few others beat out, but show to us that you deserve this position
What do you believe your greatest weaknesses are as a player and/or staff member? I believe my greatest weaknesses has got to be my swearing. But this server has gotten pretty mature over the past few months.
Okay. If you wanted to make this longer, you could say why it's a problem. Greatest weakness implies only one thing, but there could be some other things to talk about.
How would you approach a problem that you are unfamiliar with? I would ping someone, who is available, to help me with this unfamiliar problem. I have had pretty much a lot of experience with being an Operator so I have been in nearly every situation you could be in as an Operator, so I would hopefully not need to do that.
Good response. To the point, logical and doesn't leave anything to question.

I'm not saying you have to reply to all of the potential propositions I've proposed, but that's rather to show that getting to the point doesn't have to mean short responses. I won't be voting, as I don't feel in the right position to vote right now, but if you have any questions or would like anything else from me, feel free to shoot me a PM.

As requested by @Dessern5
tl;dr: Prove your worth. Thought out responses help with that, they don't have to be long, but length shows it to a certain extent.. Belligerent attitude could be worked on, as well as AFK in game. Otherwise, haven't seen you enough personally.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: _4_

Tamzies

Reaction score
I will not make it as long as Nyxo did his post, but I do want to point out that although you are close to my timezone, I don't see you online every day. We maybe just miss each other by a couple of hours. Since I am still in my Trial I wont vote, but I will just post my opinion to your application. I do have seen you help a player once or twice and on those instances you did help the person to a sufficient level. Maybe you could do this a bit more and let us show that you actually like to help and not just want a pretty colour or the perks that come with the rank. You stated that your greatest weakness would be swearing, to be honestly though I never see you swear, but you are AFK most of the time and that makes you not talking at all. (And with no talking, comes no swearing.) Your greatest weakness would be trying to be vocal, speak with the community and bond with them even when you are alone or with one other person.

Rituals of Fire can be an AFK server, if you make it an AFK server, you should try to talk to people and with this way you will be less AFK, since the players don't get bored, because you are AFK. I do understand that if no one talks it can be an easy option to just watch a movie or go through your Facebook page. Sometimes I have the feeling that you feel like we attack you and you want to defend your behavior and everything, this is mere feedback we give you and it is up to you to change or do something with it.

I do feel you can become an Operator of Rituals of Fire, but I do not think this is the right time. Being an Operator requires dedication and a nice and helpful attitude, you do not lack those, but you do need to improve on it.

Tamzies Out!

Last edited:

CaffeinatedKitty

Intoxicated Feline
Reaction score
I honestly am not quite sure what to say here. I can only recall seeing you once in the past few weeks or so, and that was earlier today. I don't have much of an opinion because of that, but just based off of the application, I'm leaning for a -1. The app itself could definitely use more detail, and as I don't quite understand what you mean by it, could you explain this?
But this server has gotten pretty mature over the past few months.
Aside from that, I do agree with Nyxo. Although experience is a plus, it isn't everything, and I don't really like how aggressively you're acting in this thread.
In the end, I think I'm just going to go with a -1.
((Note: I thought I had these forums followed, apparently not.))

Status
Not open for further replies.