[Server suggestion] Premium zombies

Status
Not open for further replies.

radman573

Reaction score
I guess the idea of another server isn't going to pass, especially if it's just a game of tag... But I would greatly appreciate it.

I loved Zombie. I hate AoD. There's a big difference.

The whole reason I loved Zombie Survival as a classic server was the whole aspect of tag. You could make parkour courses, you could run away, or you could hide. There was no way in fighting the zombies, so you had no other choice but to run away. There were no weapons available for them to fight from long distance, or to kill you. All they had to do was touch you, or bite you, or in reality, tag you. AoD feels nothing like this.

From my experiences of AoD, the idea is that you're supposed to find chests, or find a nice place to hide. I've always seen an inevitable fight, usually one sided. It's very difficult to find a nice place to hide, as I do not know the maps too well. "Well, play the game more often, then you'll learn the maps." I don't quite like Minecraft PvP, so I can't really stay. AoD is obviously not for me, as I'm not one for PvP. :c

Sure, I left Zombie Survival after some time, and didn't come back all that much. The whole reason I didn't go back was that it felt different. Playing Alpha, Beta, and Premium Minecraft is a completely different set of controls and experiences, making me feel that it was tough for me to go back to Classic. It was all very personal to me as to why I didn't want to play on Minecraft Classic.

Although I doubt the creation of a new server made around Zombie Survival, for what it really is played like, I am all for it. If anything, we could have it as an event server, to see how it goes, and if we'll like it. It will surely require more programming, which I've yet to start learning, but it would bring back a server that most enjoyed, but essentially creating a new one.

This post is of my opinion on AoD and Zombie Survival. I do not wish to start a flame war, or become apart of one. Considering this was mentioning Premium Zombies, I felt that my word should be heard.

Edit: Also, my take on the reason the classic servers were dead, is because most of the Minecraft players have moved from Classic to Premium.

Making a Premium server would not bring the same justice! A Premium Zombies would not instantly die, as it's not going to be played on an old version of Minecraft, full of many problems. Making it on Premium would only bring back players, as well as continue to bring old ones.

All in all, I believe this should be considered. Classic Zombies was dead due to the playerbase of Classic Minecraft to be dying in general.
As I stated before, one's desires cannot be put before another's and visa versa. One cannot simply place a priority on the wants of one group over another. The thought that more people would come in due to this new server is an optimistic one, but not realistic and definitely not without consequences. Until more people come into the community, I just can't see the balance in the servers. With classic gone and people hopefully moving to premium, balance will be restored (in terms of player numbers in servers) again due to the large zombie playerbase. It would be best to leave things as it is now before more problems arise.

AGAIN, CLASSIC HAS YET TO SHUT DOWN. Instead of arguing we should be going back and getting the most out of the time we have left with the server. Once the server is gone, then I feel it would be just to talk on this topic. Until then however, I find it quite inappropriate to be honest.

My bad :(

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
As I stated before, one's needs cannot be put before another and visa versa. The thought that more people would come in due to this new server is an optimistic one, but not realistic and definitely not without consequences. Until more people come into the community, I just can't see the balance in the servers. With classic gone and people hopefully moving to premium, balance will be restored (in terms of player numbers in servers) again due to the large zombie playerbase. It would be best to leave things as it is now before more problems arise.

AGAIN, CLASSIC HAS YET TO SHUT DOWN. Instead of arguing we should be going back and getting the most out of the time we have left with the server. Once the server is gone, then I feel it would be just to talk on this topic. Until then however, I find it quite inappropriate to be honest.
It's as if you didn't read all of my post. :<

I know the start of a new server will not happen, but I am for it. I am in no means saying it must happen, or that it's possible. I know that we're usually at a demand with many servers, and donations can tend to be slow at times. I've been apart of this community long enough to know the troubles we've seen.

I was just issuing my opinion on the matter. No more, no less.

Reactions: JKangaroo

Baker93

Alkaqube
Reaction score
Time for an early morning, nonsensical post.

This thread is derailing horribly into a: "Let's all say how much we hate AoD even though we have never brought this up or so much as hinted at an issue before". Frankly, it has simply annoyed me to the point that I won't be waiting till the morning to reply.

Countless hours are piled into AoD. That really doesn't seem to be appreciated here. Army of Darkness is not a Zombie Survival copy and we do not pretend to be.

This post will very possibly come off as harsh, unnecessary and dickish, but we will just have to see where my mind takes me.

Classic Zombies has shut down, a lot of people enjoyed it. Bringing it back to Premium surely makes sense. Indeed it does. It is clear that the gameplay style of Classic Zombies still has a potential playerbase (All-be-it one that didn't give a monkeys until it was shutting down). I do not and will not deny this fact.

I have absolutely no problem with the discussion of the suggestion. However, when people start commenting with what is basically a load of crap that adds nothing that hasn't previously been said, essentially just taking the opportunity to slag off AoD, I can't help but become frustrated.

With Rituals of Fire and TNT being pretty damn similar to their classic counterparts, it may seem strange that AoD is the way it is. But if you really think about it, having it that way leaves it far more open to adaptation. Yes. I do know that I have already said that. But honestly, consider the number of changes that have been made both to AoD and Minecraft as a whole. Endless potion effects make creating a map whereby only hunters can kill is absolutely as easy as pie. There is nobody stopping such maps being made.

I hear you, I hear you. It isn't the same maaaaan. But answer me this. What do you expect to get out of a Premium Zombie Survival clone server that cannot already be achieved in AoD? Listings has performed so many updates to open up windows in map creativity, to the point where maps are pretty much as customisable as a small server anyway.

Don't get me wrong. I know exactly where you are coming from. AoD is, without a doubt, PvP orientated and so, to an extent shouldn't limit the consideration of the idea for a new Zombie Survival Survival server. However, my fear is that the whole idea of creating a new server to serve this purpose is not being thought through beyond "Oh yeah that would be cool I like that server". I mean, if it doesn't involve chests or advantageous positions, it seems more like an over-glorified parkour server. On that note, I do completely disagree with the feeling that AoD involves little to no tactics or skill. It is all about the way you play.

Gamemodes are, and always have been, a very important thing for me to get ideas on for AoD. Of course, it isn't me that would be implementing them, but nevertheless, out of the few suggestions I received, on the many occasions that I requested them, they often had huge flaws. At the end of the day, we can't forget the boundaries of both Minecraft and human nature. If there is a way to exploit something, it will be exploited, and it isn't worth wasting time on ideas that simply aren't going to work. I am always open to ideas/suggestions and I am only a PM away, but what will annoy me (As you have now witnessed) is when people suddenly start suddenly bursting out with ideas and implying that the server is consequently a pile of shit because they haven't been implemented.

I know for a fact that I went over the top a tad, and will probably wonder what the hell I was talking about in the morning, but hey, if I didn't care so damn much, I wouldn't be here.

Anywho. I don't particularly want to hear all too much more of the 'ZS>AoD' debate, and would rather wake up to a nice friendly thread filled with people pondering what a Premium Zombie Survival server would bring to the table. Servers will be missed, but it needs to be considered if it is worth bringing back.

zezmi

The noob himself
Reaction score
Zombes was based off of running and hiding, taking strategic routes to avoid being tagged and finding the best spot on the map to live.
Don't forget going on crazy rampages thrugh the map running from the zombies coming at you at all angles and extremly luckily getting saved by the round end right before you die.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Classic Zombies was essentially 'Hide and Seek Tag' - So why not simply add a game mode like juggernaut except to activate it per round you simply type /tag or something along the lines. To turn survivors into hunters they can run into them, however with the game-mode there could possibly only a selection of old Classic Zombie maps that are available, to give Classic players the chance to somewhat play Classic.

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
Just like Baker93 I am quite appalled at some of the content in this thread. If so many people had problems with AoD, why has noone ever voiced their suggestions, wishes, needs?

Let me get something clear:

RoF is an adaption of Classic Lava. It uses the possibilities of Premium Minecraft to add to the ideas of Classic Lava.

TNT Wars is an adaption of Classic TNT. It uses the possibilities of Premium Minecraft to add to the ideas of Classic TNT.

AoD is an adaption of Classic Zombie. It uses the possibilities of Premium Minecraft to add to the ideas of Classic Zombie. And that is e.g. PVP elements. It's a frigging Zombie Apocalypse, adding PvP was the natural extension of a simple tag mechanism. The basic idea of the server is 100% the same (no matter how often _4_ annoyingly yells that it isn't without stating once why he thinks so): People turn to zombies and hunt the humans.

We will not open, work on, or even think about opening a clone of Classic Zombie. It would
a) be terribly boring after a very short while, as
b) there would be no advantage at all to do it. Almost everything you melancholic bunch cling to when it comes to Classic Zombie mechanisms can be adapted into AoD as a gamemode. Having a second server for 99% the identical thing is silly, I hope you can understand that.

We - speaking for the Directors and Admins now - certainly don't "mind" people being sad for Classic Zombie closing, heck, I am myself, and for wishing to have a counterpart. But please, use this energy to work these wishes into AoD, we have the perfect, beautiful framework to do so, and I am sure that LISTINGS09 and Baker and others are more than willing to listen. But not when you essentially tell them everything they did is shite ;)

LizzzyxD

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Classic Zombies was essentially 'Hide and Seek Tag' - So why not simply add a game mode like juggernaut except to activate it per round you simply type /tag or something along the lines. To turn survivors into hunters they can run into them, however with the game-mode there could possibly only a selection of old Classic Zombie maps that are available, to give Classic players the chance to somewhat play Classic.
This is mostly what I was thinking, or also i was thinking maybe there could be a vote at the beginning of each round of "tag" or pvp instead of a whole new zombie server.

• Optimistic
Reactions: JKangaroo

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
Just like Baker93 I am quite appalled at some of the content in this thread. If so many people had problems with AoD, why has noone ever voiced their suggestions, wishes, needs?

Let me get something clear:

RoF is an adaption of Classic Lava. It uses the possibilities of Premium Minecraft to add to the ideas of Classic Lava.

TNT Wars is an adaption of Classic TNT. It uses the possibilities of Premium Minecraft to add to the ideas of Classic TNT.

AoD is an adaption of Classic Zombie. It uses the possibilities of Premium Minecraft to add to the ideas of Classic Zombie. And that is e.g. PVP elements. It's a frigging Zombie Apocalypse, adding PvP was the natural extension of a simple tag mechanism. The basic idea of the server is 100% the same (no matter how often _4_ annoyingly yells that it isn't without stating once why he thinks so): People turn to zombies and hunt the humans.

We will not open, work on, or even think about opening a clone of Classic Zombie. It would
b) there would be no advantage at all to do it. Almost everything you melancholic bunch cling to when it comes to Classic Zombie mechanisms can be adapted into AoD as a gamemode. Having a second server for 99% the identical thing is silly, I hope you can understand that.

We - speaking for the Directors and Admins now - certainly don't "mind" people being sad for Classic Zombie closing, heck, I am myself, and for wishing to have a counterpart. But please, use this energy to work these wishes into AoD, we have the perfect, beautiful framework to do so, and I am sure that LISTINGS09 and Baker and others are more than willing to listen. But not when you essentially tell them everything they did is shite ;)
Meh, I can understand this I suppose and I guess should of thought this through a bit more before posting. I was never trying to hate on AoD, as I do love to go on sometimes but guess I just got a tad carried away. I do think someone suggested maps that are one hit kills on humans and humans can't kill hunters so I think I may give that a go instead ;)

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
I feel like giving my opinion in here.

To answer your question here:
I hear you, I hear you. It isn't the same maaaaan. But answer me this. What do you expect to get out of a Premium Zombie Survival clone server that cannot already be achieved in AoD?
My answer, is a constant Zombie survival server. One that has the "gamemode" Zombie survival with just tag 24/7.

AoD is great, I am not denying that. But putting classic zombie into just a few maps, or once every 50 rounds is just not good enough for me and probabily others. People(including me) want to play the same game of tag over and over again, as some of us have done for over 2000 hours on classic.

I'm taking the example of lava's Death run here. One of the main reasons I went to lava was because of the Death run mode. However this would only come once every 3 hours or so. Waiting for the gamemode that you want to play can be boring, especialy if you don't feel like playing the other gamemode.

In a Zombie Survival clone server you don't have to wait for the gamemode tag to show up, since it is always there.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how it is silly. A gamemode is not the same as a server. This is like saying PTnT can be shut down because you can make a TnT map/gamemode in AoD too, like explosivearea.
[I know, this is exaggerated but I'm just comparing]

I feel like a Premium Zombie Tag server would be a great addition. And that it can give the experience we love that classic Zombie gave. Something that I believe just a gamemode can't do.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate any of the hard work that has been put into all the servers, I love the work that has been put into them. And I will appreciate the admins decision on a new zombie server even tough I might not agree with it.

GmK

Reaction score
*saying lots of stuff*
Ok, let me say it like this (tried to be diplomatic above):

We do not have the resources currently to run one more Premium Server. And even if we managed to find them somewhere, we wouldn't be opening a server that is basically the same as another one. And for sure not if the mechanic of the one can be included in the other. There are other server concepts that would make much more sense in a way to extend our Premium server range.

I know people love Classic Zombie, and it is great to see the enthusiasm to fight for it, it also was my first server to ever be OP on, but please face the reality that you won't get a straight port. Classic was classic and has now ended gracefully. Let's not drag those wonderful experiences into the mud ;)

Guinessis

Reaction score
I understand the trepidation when transitioning from classic zombies to AoD. However, if it's been a while since you last played AoD, there have been several changes.

First, staff members have gone round the maps removing overpowered items and ensuring that blocks that are supposed to be unbreakable are configured correctly. In the early days players would often spawn with terrible gear (wooden sword, or a bow and 8 arrows) and immediately be confronted by players in full iron gear. This no longer happens. There will be times that other players will have gear that counters your kit or playstyle of course, but if you feel that a map gives one side way too much of an advantage then please contact the staff (or me I guess, but I can't do much about it) with your concern or write about it in the weekly voting forms.

Second, hunter kits are now often designed to compete with the gear available in the map, not the survivor starting kits. This also helps avoid the first problem of hunters getting steamrolled. The first starting hunter often gets a superior set of gear so that they can take down at least one survivor as well.

Third, I realize that minecraft PVP can be a bit goofy when it's a bunch of players in armor beating on each other with swords. Kits and items in the maps are now designed with a bit more variety (flint and steel, cobwebs, bows, potions, etc) so that the fights aren't simply bouts of whack a mole. Iron armor is now a rarity, and diamonds are practically unheard of so fights tend to be decided by who gets the jump and who is the better shot rather than who has the best connection.

Fourth, many of the lag issues have been resolved. It's still not lag free, but now you'll actually be able to swing and hit someone as they are running. Part of this is on Mojang's end, as they made hit detection more lenient afaik.

Remember that classic zombie started with 32 layers of dirt under every map and towers to the ceiling in all directions. No premade jump courses, no running maps, no physics maps, you get the picture. Every server continues to change and transition based on player feedback. You'll have to share the stage with players who like a good round of pvp now and then, but unless you voice constructive criticism the server will never change. This thread is a good start - I had no idea that there was so much enmity towards AOD.

So please, keep the suggestions rolling.

GmK

Reaction score
Remember that classic zombie started with 32 layers of dirt under every map and towers to the ceiling in all directions. No premade jump courses, no running maps, no physics maps, you get the picture. Every server continues to change and transition based on player feedback. You'll have to share the stage with players who like a good round of pvp now and then, but unless you voice constructive criticism the server will never change. This thread is a good start - I had no idea that there was so much enmity towards AOD.

So please, keep the suggestions rolling.
This. People seem to forget how actually terrible Zombie used to be :D We had more fun laughing at all the issues and crap gameplay, than having fun playing.

Thank you for a very detailed and well put post, Guinessis. I hope enough people read it.

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
I'm going to just voice one thing quick, I do understand how AoD is not a direct copy of zombies and in what ways it improves it and am NOT voicing hate on AoD (I do love it personally), I just loved the feel of zombies and thought it would be something to suggest. I do agree after reading all the posts about incorporating a more tag-ish mode into AoD and have personally just about completed a remake of a former zombie map I made to submit to AoD. I think thats my new suggestion personally: What would the thoughts be on just having possibly maps made for a new gamemode and each round people can vote between a more PvP-ish map and a more tag-ish map?

(And for those wondering what I mean by tag-ish map: Humans get nothing but food and hunters get swords that one hit kill and no fall damage ever.)

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Again, maps are not the same as the actual thing. Hence why a game-mode such as Juggernaut is probably the most reasonable solution, obviously it can never be exactly the same, but this would have to be the closest too it.

Baker93

Alkaqube
Reaction score
I'm going to just voice one thing quick, I do understand how AoD is not a direct copy of zombies and in what ways it improves it and am NOT voicing hate on AoD (I do love it personally), I just loved the feel of zombies and thought it would be something to suggest. I do agree after reading all the posts about incorporating a more tag-ish mode into AoD and have personally just about completed a remake of a former zombie map I made to submit to AoD. I think thats my new suggestion personally: What would the thoughts be on just having possibly maps made for a new gamemode and each round people can vote between a more PvP-ish map and a more tag-ish map?

(And for those wondering what I mean by tag-ish map: Humans get nothing but food and hunters get swords that one hit kill and no fall damage ever.)
I have recently changed one of the maps already in the server to accommodate this [TAG] gametype/maptype and reception has overall been good, there are a couple of kinks to iron out but I already have plans to edit some existing maps that may be suitable for the [TAG] gameplay. New maps/suggestions are always welcome and as a matter of fact Guinessis has already submitted a map suitable for the [TAG] game type. So by all means create more of these [TAG] maps after all, the more the merrier.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Basically most of what has been said above.
AoD may not be an exact replica of zombie, but it can easily have maps that offer the same gameplay. I get that some people don't understand how AoD is anything to do with zombies, but it is. It's hunt or get hunted. Run, survive, hide, (but with killing too) and if you die you turn into a zombie-like creature known as a hunter.
AoD doesn't just have to be pvp, nobody is forcing you to go out and kill the hunters. You can just hide and run if you want (as a survivor). AoD is a server based around classic zombie, but where players can make completely custom made maps to fit various styles of gameplay, whether it be pvp based or running based. It's a server where you can all make the style of gameplay how you want, just use your imagination!
I understand that you all want a classic zombie server, but you can simply make one inside of AoD!
GOGOGO!

radman573

Reaction score
As I stated before, one's needs cannot be put before another and visa versa. The thought that more people would come in due to this new server is an optimistic one, but not realistic and definitely not without consequences. Until more people come into the community, I just can't see the balance in the servers. With classic gone and people hopefully moving to premium, balance will be restored (in terms of player numbers in servers) again due to the large zombie playerbase. It would be best to leave things as it is now before more problems arise.

It's as if you didn't read all of my post. :<

I know the start of a new server will not happen, but I am for it. I am in no means saying it must happen, or that it's possible. I know that we're usually at a demand with many servers, and donations can tend to be slow at times. I've been apart of this community long enough to know the troubles we've seen.

I was just issuing my opinion on the matter. No more, no less.
I am sincerely sorry for my comment. As you stated, I did not fully read your post and now that I have, I will take back what I said directly to you and instead imply it towards the conversation in general. I do not seek to make enemies in this community and I apologize for any inconvenience that I may have caused :(

• Love
Reactions: Duffie

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
And this is what happens when people do not read posts properly..

• Winner
Reactions: Duffie

fredmandood

Reaction score
So umm sorry if I'm late to the "party" :p

AOD = War (Communicating with your team / setting up fighting lines / falling back when you're low on health / and, essentially, pvp.)

ZS = Manhunt (For those of you who don't know, a game where it starts out as one "infected", and all the humans, who, depending on their tactics, run or hide or both. Or in minecraft, make a jump course. As the "infected" tags the humans, the humans become "infected".)

Personally, I love aod, play it with xXxFruitNinjaxXx all the time. Different people have different likings. Based on GmK 's post, I'm guessing we wont be able to make a premium ZS server. That's okay with me, because of all the great moments that I've had with the friends I've made throughout my time on it.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
Whereas zombie classic was the favorite server I've ever had played on, I don't think I would really enjoy a premium server exactly like it. And I think many of you wouldn't either. I think the thing is that most of you are just really gonna miss classic, and so will I, but we must stay realistic and realise that "premium ZC" will never be the same as classic. Big factors that made classic so likeable was the atmosphere, immediately destroying blocks, no sprinting, using all kind of different blocks, and so I could go on. Most of these things are simply not possible to achieve in premium. Besides that, the expected player count would probably be 10 average at best, and honestly, classic ZS wasn't all that enjoyable with so little players online.

Zombie classic has been an amazing server, and I will probably never find another minecraft server, hell, maybe even another game, that will be as enjoyable at it was, but its time is over now and it's better to let it rest while we still all have great memories of it than to ruin it by making a rather crappy replica of zombie classic.

Damer_Flinn

Resident Asha'man
Reaction score
First I have a few questions.
Guinessis can hunger be disabled based on map like fall damage can?
When killed by a Hunter can a person spawn as a Hunter in place instead of being sent to a spawn?
Can you give a full list of map modifiers (ex: fall damage, strength, speed)

Anyone and everyone wishing for a place to go when our classic Zombie Survival server goes down should look to AoD and this gamemode question as a challenge to meet. Can you create a map that will emphasize all the things that we love about our server?

Take into consideration the things you would in order to create a map for our classic server; avoid large masses of unused underground, and avoid overly large maps so you can restrict use of /locate. While you're at it you can limit the influences of the PVP side by not including chests, limiting kits, and increasing the damage a Hunter does.

Remember, while we will all miss our Zombie Survival server this doesn't have to be the end of our era. We just have to learn and grow into the new system. If you're truly determined you should help us turn an already great server into the best it can be. Don't just say your piece here and give up on the idea. Look, question, suggest, and create new ideas and content for AoD. We have an opportunity here and if we miss it we'll only have ourselves to blame.

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
When killed by a Hunter can a person spawn as a Hunter in place instead of being sent to a spawn?
I asked Baker the same thing while testing the tag mode, fall damage, strength can all be turned on to whatever they need to be however hunger is a different matter entirely and may not be entirely possible to fix. Then again hunters don't lose hunger so maybe just add that fix to survivors in Tag mode?

Baker93

Alkaqube
Reaction score
1) Currently hunger cannot be disabled in a map configuration file. However, if the gamemode becomes popular I will look for ways to make it possible.
2) Also as AoD currently exists this is not possible, due to some invisibility issues we had a while back we made it so that players are forced to tp back to lobby. But again if players wish to have the old hunter spawn mechanic back and providing there are no issues with invisibility I will gladly look into changing the current set up.
3) A full list of potion effect types can be found here: http://jd.bukkit.org/rb/apidocs/org/bukkit/potion/PotionEffectType.html and gives a lot of variety for map makers to play around with.

Status
Not open for further replies.