Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
DON'T TOUCH THE HUMVEE
I think some roleplaying chat would be handy. I've seen multiple peopele going insane because of roleplay getting out of hand on the server. I can't do much but support this idea. But maybe some sort of indicator that the roleplay chat is actually being used? Otherwise someone might find it so empty and lonely but apparently 29/32 players are in the RP chat, talking away.

Lovedaice said:
The low level of maturity within the Role Play is what's dragging it down. Then again when has Role Play ever been mature. I'd much rather have a server that's full of AFK, untalkative people rather than the silly rp that sprouts.

And I'd probably "let them be" if, like I said before, it didn't flood the whole fucking chat.
Sorry Lovedaice. I respect you and all but what you're saying here is bullshit.
While i do agree the bar for roleplaying is low. It still falls under the term of Roleplaying.

People want to have fun too mate. This is what people do: Muckin' around and laughing at it. We've laughed for minutes, if not hours about the Humvee Predicament, Lessongirl's yoga class. The questionable teacher in the school. The amazing menu at StarButts. They together make one of the fondest memories of RoF for a player.

And that is what this server. No. Not just this server: What all of blocktopia is created for: Creating memories to think back to. And making these players wish those rounds of RoF never ended. Not AFKing just because you get cookies and log on for 5 mins to build a house every thirty minues.

I myself. Have been spreading the impression that RoF is pure AFK. But then i came across the beautiful words i saw on a staff application: "RoF is only an AFK server if you make it an AFK server." Those words were all i needed.
RoF's hidden recipe that makes it fun: The players.
RoF isn't just a lava survival server. It's a place to make friends.

Please. Reply to this once you grasp the deeper meaning of this server.

And mate. Don't expect us to Roleplay saying only 1 word per thirty seconds just so the chat doesn't get flooded. Heck, Turn your chat opacity down if you must.

A roleplay chat is a good idea. But don't question it's maturity.

This reply turned out 10 sentences and 3 edits more than i anticipated
I'm done.

~Fiesta

Last edited:

CaffeinatedKitty

Intoxicated Feline
Reaction score
It might be useful to have an automatic color for key words like grief, flood, etc., or a command to contact operators in a busy chat, but it really is the spirit of RoF to be social. Being social cannot happen without being noisy, and I myself have only seen discussions about the community houses and no real roleplay. If you ask me, you don't have to be there to be entertained by it- I was only on IRC and it was plenty of fun just to read through the chat and throw in my two cents every so often. I don't really think a different chat is necessary at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Ahiya and Achieina

MetalGearSolis

That kid with the avatar
Reaction score
I honestly think we need a roleplay chat, due to the amount of spam that is caused by this. It's great that they're finding new ways to make RoF fun, but maybe they should take others thoughts into consideration before spamming the whole damn chat with Carly Rae Jepson or "twerking with their ass hanging out -Fiestaguy", as some others don't want to hear that nonsense going on.

Achieina

Reaction score
It might be useful to have an automatic color for key words like grief, flood, etc., or a command to contact operators in a busy chat, but it really is the spirit of RoF to be social. Being social cannot happen without being noisy, and I myself have only seen discussions about the community houses and no real roleplay. If you ask me, you don't have to be there to be entertained by it- I was only on IRC and it was plenty of fun just to read through the chat and throw in my two cents every so often. I don't really think a different chat is necessary at all.
I think a command to contact operators would be a great idea. As for the colored key words, I think people may abuse that.

But if there is a command to contact operators (for instance, it could be like /flood), there should be some rules behind it -- like you cannot continually spam it, and if you do, you'll get a warning. Or something like that.
DON'T TOUCH THE HUMVEE
I think some roleplaying chat would be handy. I've seen multiple peopele going insane because of roleplay getting out of hand on the server. I can't do much but support this idea. But maybe some sort of indicator that the roleplay chat is actually being used? Otherwise someone might find it so empty and lonely but apparently 29/32 players are in the RP chat, talking away.
This makes sense. However, I think it's safe to say that most of the time, the RP doesn't flood too much...
Maybe certain rules should be enforced to keep a player from going overboard. I do agree overly capping is overboard, and in a way, screaming song lyrics can be too, especially if you're the only one. But I've also seen many players/staff enjoy doing RoF karaoke during certain occasions, so I think exceptions could be made.

But all in all, RoF seems fine to me. When the RP gets to a point where it's too much to handle, then operators should be able to step in and silence everybody. But I think introducing new chat commands, and a new RP chat is too extreme. If you're concerned with "flood" issue, then a new operator command like /flood would be nipping it at the bud. Everyone is having a great time and enjoying themselves, so I'm sorry if you don't feel the same way... but you might just have to deal with it.

Achieina

midnightgirl24

You're gonna have a bad time.
Reaction score
As an ex roleplayer (groups), I'm all for this idea. I honestly get tired of seeing it all. I want to be able to have a simple discussion with someone and not have to constantly see lines of rp. I think both sides need to just compromise and not honestly be mad when one side disagrees with the other.

MetalGearSolis

That kid with the avatar
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with what IQ and rawr have said here. There isn't really much need for a separate chat channel specifically for role playing. In fact, I don't really think the chat gets flooded at all.
That's cause you get on at around midnight US time when most of the players are off.

Ragetastic96

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
I've always kind of liked the roll playing. It makes things interesting. Without it, ordinary conversation would get boring. And to be quite honest, the game play itself isn't what keeps me playing, it's the social aspect. I spend so much time a day on here (when not out of town ) that the role play is a nice change in chat as opposed to it being rather bare throughout the early/middle part of the day for me.

That said, it has gone a little out of hand. When people are complaining about grief ( like i saw earlier today ) and an op can't address because of the excessive clutter, it becomes an issue. But, you could also argue that the chat could get cluttered with multiple legit conversations. I suppose it's all in perspective.

I'm torn on this. Personally, it doesn't bother me. I pay attention to the chat no matter what, but it may not be the same way for others if role play annoys them. I like the /flood command to alert an op. If they do decide on a Role play channel i won't complain, but i personally can't support it if it never bothered me to begin with. Just thought i'd give my opinion. Sorry i don't have much to contribute for either side.

• Agree
Reactions: midnightgirl24

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Here's my two cents:

Why not work on making the core gamemode more interesting, so people don't have to resort to roleplay to get any enjoyment in the first place? I don't think roleplay is bad or anything, but when that's what you have to do to enjoy a server that isn't made for that, then I think the problem goes deeper than the roleplayers.

I should state: I'm a person who has never enjoyed any form of BT's Lava Survival, so you can just throw this out the window as I'm not 100% of the situation since I seldom visit the server.

• Useful
Reactions: Kuyajer

Kuyajer

Tyoping Legned
Reaction score
Here's my two cents:

Why not work on making the core gamemode more interesting, so people don't have to resort to roleplay to get any enjoyment in the first place? I don't think roleplay is bad or anything, but when that's what you have to do to enjoy a server that isn't made for that, then I think the problem goes deeper than the roleplayers.

I should state: I'm a person who has never enjoyed any form of BT's Lava Survival, so you can just throw this out the window as I'm not 100% of the situation since I seldom visit the server.
The issue here is that by doing so, you detract from the essentials of RoF, a simplistic survival gamemode. The point was never to be difficult, but there are small fluctuations in gameplay to keep it from going stale. What happens from then is mostly up to the players. I look at one of your points specifically, resorting to roleplay as a source of enjoyment

It's not really resorting, but rather something that the playerbase just enjoys. It's not so much roleplay as just messing around in the server. If you check out some of more recent threads in the discussion section, you'll get a glimpse of what I truly mean.

As for the issue at hand; yes, I can understand some of the more "mature"(for lack of a better word), may not enjoy the chat and the "roleplay"(again, for lack of a better word) that comes with it, but you have to realize you're a minority. Most have no issue, and it may even be beneficial to just, as jayfeather put it, enjoy it. I know roleplay and certain types of expressionism aren't for everyone, so I do agree, a "roleplay" channel couldn't hurt-it wouldn't really detract from main chat, and those who wouldn't want to participate could just turn it off, but at the same time, this thread has really just derailed into an elitism sort of "I don't like it because I find it stupid/immature/under me, let's get rid of it somehow", when it should be "I think some of the content in the server isn't suited as well as it could be".

Last edited:

Achieina

Reaction score
I don't get why people who like role playing don't want this to happen :confused: it's a chat all for you! You should feel special =D
If you read the entire thread, the main reason for an RP chat is to separate the "mature" (for lack of a better word) from the "roleplayers" (for lack of a better word, as well). They want a separate chat because they feel that the "roleplayers" are filling the chat with immature, nonsensical clutter.

I hope you were joking.

Achieina

Pikmon2

Reaction score
If you read the entire thread, the main reason for an RP chat is to separate the "mature" (for lack of a better word) from the "roleplayers" (for lack of a better word, as well). They want a separate chat because they feel that the "roleplayers" are filling the chat with immature, nonsensical clutter.

I hope you were joking.

Achieina
I'm not sure whether or not he was being sarcastic, but he just said it would be good for roleplayers to have their own chat. You're not helping your case when you're rude to the people who want you to have your own chat for just having your own chat, no the maturity issue.

Also, if the issue is that roleplayers aren't mature, and you think normal RoF chat is mature, we need a definition or something. Possibly the biggest issue this community has is immaturity, and a lot of it from RoF players (most players on it). I mean let's be honest with ourselves, adding a roleplaying channel so the main channel will be "mature" is not only rude, but just ridiculous. "let's give them their own chat since they are immature and it's really f****ing annoying" = Just as immature as them.

I understand a bunch of people roleplaying in the chat is annoying, but being a jerk about it solves nothing.

Achieina

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether or not he was being sarcastic, but he just said it would be good for roleplayers to have their own chat. You're not helping your case when you're rude to the people who want you to have your own chat for just having your own chat, no the maturity issue.

Also, if the issue is that roleplayers aren't mature, and you think normal RoF chat is mature, we need a definition or something. Possibly the biggest issue this community has is immaturity, and a lot of it from RoF players (most players on it). I mean let's be honest with ourselves, adding a roleplaying channel so the main channel will be "mature" is not only rude, but just ridiculous. "let's give them their own chat since they are immature and it's really f****ing annoying" = Just as immature as them.

I understand a bunch of people roleplaying in the chat is annoying, but being a jerk about it solves nothing.
What I said there wasn't for the purpose of coming across rude. I'm sorry if you misinterpreted, but I felt as if he just replied for the "heck of replying". That comment didn't help the issue in any way. Most of the people who want the RP channel want it for the sake of just pushing the silly players into a channel where the rest of the server doesn't have to deal with their nonsense. So I felt the comment as it were saying:
" All the roleplayers should feel special they're having their own channel" (when the purpose of the channel isn't thoroughly optimistic at all. I agree, a whole RP channel is crazy -- depending on which point of view you're viewing it through. I never meant to be rude, sorry for the confusion there.

When it comes down to everything, it is the server's choice. When push comes to shove, we'll just have to accept whatever's coming to us in the end. Besides, an RP channel may seem extreme to me, but whatever happens, I trust that the staff of RoF will make the best decision for the server. Whatever the decision, everyone will manage to deal in the end. We'll all just have to understand that you can never, really please everyone. This discussion, unfortunately, is bringing the worst out of me, so I'll leave it to everyone else to give their opinions and whatnot.

Good luck to all.
Achieina

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Right so i've been keeping up with this thread for awhile now and honestly? I am very heavily against this.

I have never seen the roleplay people complain about. The only 'roleplay' I have seen is the starbucks and ice rinks things. But lets face it whenever that happens the entire server is there except those few people that don't want to be with them. This honestly feels like we are ostracizing them just because they like talking like this. Are we honestly going to not allow them to talk about what they want in chat? I don't want any of this. I am not alone in assuming that if people are being annoyed by the roleplay then people are also being by the normal chat that is going on. Are we going to make them go to private chats to talk about what they want to talk about?

If people can't discuss whatever the hell they want to in the main chat (within the rules bounds of course) then it should be allowed.

Yes I get how it could help. But then rof would be even more dead because we would have what, maybe 5 people not in it? And they are they people that never want to talk in chat anyway.

Overall I just find this useless and more detrimental to the server than it would be beneficial.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
YOU ARE ACTIVELY HIDING FROM ME AND PRAYING I DONT RANDOMLY DECIDE TO SUBMIT TO MY INNER CARL AND ABSOLUTELY ROAST YOUR ASS WITH LEGIONS OF CREEPERS AND THUNDER
You mean this Carl?

On a slightly more serious note, I think a fairly decent solution would be to have a special command that has a bunch of super flashy text & stuff to help it get noticed by staff members, but can only be used when either the chat is like 5 messages per second, or when there are 10+ people online who are not AFK.

I also know what it's like when
Carl4834: I got your nose!!!!
*Supamario pika-pounded Carl4834 and made hyper-sonic wrenches made of pizza rain on him*
*Carl4384 yummzes pizzas!?!*
Bill: staff, halp! some newb fludded meh hoawse!
I_Am_Perfect-Freakin'-Chaos!!!: oh goody! Pizza wrenches, can I has two?
*Befey_MC_Nuggets fist fists I_Am_Perfect and turns him into a pile of sushi.*
XxXXXXXxxXXXXx: oh god!
I_Am_Perfect-Freakin'-Chaos!!!: OH FREKIN' GAWD
[Admin] Sparklze_Guy: Chaos, tone down the caps. Something wrong Bill?
*I_Am_Perfect-Freakin'-Chaos!!! BLAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! >:O >================> :confused: I can haz Chaos lezor!!!*
Bill: Sparklze, Spaggetay3295 is flooding all our houses!
Carl: I like pasta, *Punches Perfect in da facey*!!!!!
Supamario: I'mma jump on your head, f$#&er!!
Supamario has been muted by Sparklze for [Language]
Spaggetay3295: You got a problem with something, BILLY?!

Happens, all though this could be a some-what exaggerated example of something I've had happen to me before.

Don't Know what I'm getting at? It's the situation where some one gets greifed, flooded, or simply needs to talk to a staff member, but the staff member is too busy trying to keep the other 20 or so people under control and is unable to help the victim due to being distracted by about 15 other people.

This special command I mentioned above should act like a beacon to the staff, but is not visible/highlighted to normal players. This will then allow the staff to address people's problems a little better, while also avoiding potential spam to normal players. This command would, however, need a new rule stating that it should only be used when you absolutely need to contact RoF staff.
It would also be a good idea to have this command toggle so that a player doesn't have to keep typing it (like with /msg or /tell) to talk to the staff with it.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
You mean this Carl?

On a slightly more serious note, I think a fairly decent solution would be to have a special command that has a bunch of super flashy text & stuff to help it get noticed by staff members, but can only be used when either the chat is like 5 messages per second, or when there are 10+ people online who are not AFK.

I also know what it's like when
Carl4834: I got your nose!!!!
*Supamario pika-pounded Carl4834 and made hyper-sonic wrenches made of pizza rain on him*
*Carl4384 yummzes pizzas!?!*
Bill: staff, halp! some newb fludded meh hoawse!
I_Am_Perfect-Freakin'-Chaos!!!: oh goody! Pizza wrenches, can I has two?
*Befey_MC_Nuggets fist fists I_Am_Perfect and turns him into a pile of sushi.*
XxXXXXXxxXXXXx: oh god!
I_Am_Perfect-Freakin'-Chaos!!!: OH FREKIN' GAWD
[Admin] Sparklze_Guy: Chaos, tone down the caps. Something wrong Bill?
*I_Am_Perfect-Freakin'-Chaos!!! BLAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! >:O >================> :confused: I can haz Chaos lezor!!!*
Bill: Sparklze, Spaggetay3295 is flooding all our houses!
Carl: I like pasta, *Punches Perfect in da facey*!!!!!
Supamario: I'mma jump on your head, f$#&er!!
Supamario has been muted by Sparklze for [Language]
Spaggetay3295: You got a problem with something, BILLY?!
Happens, all though this could be a some-what exaggerated example of something I've had happen to me before.

Don't Know what I'm getting at? It's the situation where some one gets greifed, flooded, or simply needs to talk to a staff member, but the staff member is too busy trying to keep the other 20 or so people under control and is unable to help the victim due to being distracted by about 15 other people.

This special command I mentioned above should act like a beacon to the staff, but is not visible/highlighted to normal players. This will then allow the staff to address people's problems a little better, while also avoiding potential spam to normal players. This command would, however, need a new rule stating that it should only be used when you absolutely need to contact RoF staff.
It would also be a good idea to have this command toggle so that a player doesn't have to keep typing it (like with /msg or /tell) to talk to the staff with it.
@RonaldoSkillz what do you think of this idea?

ShadeSlayer98

Reaction score

I hope you were joking.

Achieina
I was trying to explain how a role play channel in no way hurt the server. If you can give me three good reason why a role play channel could hurt the server and the players.
Edit to be honest I don't care because it fun to read chat sometimes. Other times it's just pure childish.

Last edited:

Faliara

Reaction score
Don't we have PMs, why not just expand it to let it have a max of 5 people

EDIT : @Achieina, I understand you not liking roleplayers, but at least don't separate them from non-roleplayers with the words 'mature' and 'immature'. Maybe that's how you view it, but that only pisses people off, plus I know a few people who can be mature that roleplay.

Achieina

Reaction score
Don't we have PMs, why not just expand it to let it have a max of 5 people

EDIT : @Achieina, I understand you not liking roleplayers, but at least don't separate them from non-roleplayers with the words 'mature' and 'immature'. Maybe that's how you view it, but that only pisses people off, plus I know a few people who can be mature that roleplay.
I think you tagged the wrong person. I'm all for the RP/community builds. :)

D

DarkHender

I don't understand why people are saying the roleplayers and starbucks players are childish. all of the rof players can be childish and immature. Even the staff are childish and immature at times, if things get out of hand they handle it. This roleplay chat would do nothing but harm to the server.
(most of my points are going to refer to the starbucks/icerink incidents because thats the only sort of "rp" I've seen)

1. As I last stated I have never seen real rp on rof. I hardly think pretending to sell drinks would be annoying and labeled as "real" roleplaying.
Why make a chat for only people pretending to sell drinks and make a community build? I hardly consider it roleplaying.

2. It would separate that chat.
As many stated, the chat would be struck in two. Half role players pretending to sell drinks in one chat having to switch to chat to chat from normal talking in a community build to just saying "may i take your order sir?" sounds highly inconvenient. (are these things even that common??)

3. Just no, no no no. This would confuse new players, be a hassle to those who want to be in the starbucks/ice rinks but not roleplay. (I don't see people role playing besides those who pretend to sell drinks)

I just don't see how this is needed at all.. You can ping staff, go on teamspeak.. half of the regular players have staff on some other sort of social network. Heck you can even ask a player who might have staff as a friend that could contact them.

Edit:
and isnt more than half the player base usually in one of these "rp" community homes anyways..? moving more than half the server to a rp chat where they are hardly even roleplaying sounds ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: Ahiya and Sploorky

Sploorky

Reaction score
How hard is it to read the chat and tune out the parts that don't interest you?

I doubt people would follow the RP chat without having to be told off by ops anyways. "RP" is too vague, many people don't consider selling coffee or hosting an ice skating rink as roleplay(me included tbh.)

I'd rather see an active chat then a boring one, and it's not hard to hold a conversation if the chat is moving fast, simply put the name of who you're speaking to in your text.

Just my two cents, no hate.

Edit--I feel the problem addressed here isn't the RP, it's that some think the RP is childish/ 'cringeworthy'. Which may or may not be a problem in the eyes of different people. However, if that's the case, and it is a problem, this is nothing but a temporary solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.