Roleplay Channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
So, as we're all familiar with by now. There's been a pretty fast influx of "role playing". Whether it be the ever-strong Relationships of Fire, this silly Starbucks/Ice Rink thing that's popped up out of nowhere, and then some. In my opinion, and to the opinion of quite a few others I've talked to, this fills the chat with some un-necessary clutter.

While RoF is supposed to be a welcoming and fun environment, some people actually have stuff they want to talk about, and want to have their voices conveyed. When you have, say, 8 people filling chat with this role play, it then becomes an issue. I would honestly much rather have a chat that isn't filled with non-sense rather than one that is. Again, RoF is supposed to have a friendly environment. However, this is one instance where simply enough is enough.

Chat simply is becoming cluttered. There's way too many people on Rituals of Fire to have just one main chat to handle everyone involved at once. Arises the issue again that some people actually have serious things they want to discuss in main chat, whether it be a flood, grief, asking someone if they can join, what-have-you. And the Role Play can easily drown that out. And in general I think it's somewhat ruining the face of RoF. But I digress, I won't get into specifics.

And, just one last thing. Anyone that suggests to just "turn off your chat", I want you to look at the reasons listed above as to why that's a bad idea. Good day, I hope you think about this suggestion, and I personally hope we come to some sort of resolution over this.

-Love, out.

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
Yes, please.

I don't play RoF very often, but I have played enough to know that there is far too much roleplay cluttering up the chat. I personally dislike this, and it seems like many other people do too, as a lot of it is just immature and annoying. An option to turn off a chat that is used specifically for roleplay would be great since roleplay really contributes nothing to the server.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I might be alone here, but I think the rp channel might cause a bit of controversy between people, as things like the Starbucks people have created; while they often have a lot of location-specific chat that might annoy people who are elsewhere, it's not strictly roleplay. Meaning that people who actually want to to roleplay might get annoyed at the channel being filled up with these in-the-middle conversations.

• Agree
Reactions: Ahiya and Dess

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Yes, please.

I don't play RoF very often, but I have played enough to know that there is far too much roleplay cluttering up the chat. I personally dislike this, and it seems like many other people do too, as a lot of it is just immature and annoying. An option to turn off a chat that is used specifically for roleplay would be great since roleplay really contributes nothing to the server.
well I mean you're not doing anything on rof anyways so why not enjoy the chat

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
well I mean you're not doing anything on rof anyways so why not enjoy the chat
you're not doing anything no YOU ARE ACTIVELY HIDING FROM ME AND PRAYING I DONT RANDOMLY DECIDE TO SUBMIT TO MY INNER CARL AND ABSOLUTELY ROAST YOUR ASS WITH LEGIONS OF CREEPERS AND THUNDER

On a relevant note, personally, I haven't really seen too much chat that would fit the "role-play" thing, and even then, I've never seen people really objecting to it. Not out of the question for it to escalate, but for the time being, it seems okay for now.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Well, I just recently got into RoF and to be honest, I would rather come into a game where players are talking -- either roleplaying or talking about a different topic -- instead of coming into a server where players are afk'd or busy doing something else.

Actually, I find that I don't notice the chat much because I'm either focused on mining or trying to survive and lately I've fallen prey to the afk bug, but overall I'm not much of a talker.

But to cover the issue raised on when the chat is too active and a grief occurs -- Would there be a way to automatically highlight/color specific words such as "grief, help, or flood" in the chat?

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
I might be alone here, but I think the rp channel might cause a bit of controversy between people, as things like the Starbucks people have created; while they often have a lot of location-specific chat that might annoy people who are elsewhere, it's not strictly roleplay. Meaning that people who actually want to to roleplay might get annoyed at the channel being filled up with these in-the-middle conversations.
A solution I see here would then be to make a Local chat, as some servers have. BuildBox, AFAIK, has Local and RP chat. So adopt what BB did for RoF, solution solved?

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
Sorry not sorry, I think you should actively ((have a presence)) play RoF before deciding/suggesting something for RoF. Fact of the matter is, it's POSSIBLY maybe 3 hours max that the chat become an overwhelming population of people and it POSSIBLY on the days of Friday and Saturday that become the busiest* and the best god damn place for consistent socialization. Any other day it's pretty highly that you will find mild or more than average chat movement.

Also a "Roleplay Chat" doesn't necessarily make sense with the name itself because what they do isn't exactly roleplaying. What is specifically being called for here is a second chat channel separate from the main chat channel.

*Probably because of school

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
Sorry not sorry, I think you should actively ((have a presence)) play RoF before deciding/suggesting something for RoF. Fact of the matter is, it's POSSIBLY maybe 3 hours max that the chat become an overwhelming population of people and it POSSIBLY on the days of Friday and Saturday that become the busiest* and the best god damn place for consistent socialization. Any other day it's pretty highly that you will find mild or more than average chat movement.

Also a "Roleplay Chat" doesn't necessarily make sense with the name itself because what they do isn't exactly roleplaying. What is specifically being called for here is a second chat channel separate from the main chat channel.

*Probably because of school
Well I do have an active presence on RoF. I know rank doesn't matter much but I am nearing GM. That's one thing I don't think I'd have said 2 or 3 months or so ago it seems, when I had recently gotten re-active. I think I've been around long enough to make a suggestion such as this.

And I think it's suffice to say it is roleplay. Potentially not up to what your definition of rp is, but it's still in a sense roleplay.

D

DarkHender

you're not doing anything no YOU ARE ACTIVELY HIDING FROM ME AND PRAYING I DONT RANDOMLY DECIDE TO SUBMIT TO MY INNER CARL AND ABSOLUTELY ROAST YOUR ASS WITH LEGIONS OF CREEPERS AND THUNDER

On a relevant note, personally, I haven't really seen too much chat that would fit the "role-play" thing, and even then, I've never seen people really objecting to it. Not out of the question for it to escalate, but for the time being, it seems okay for now.
inner carl oh my god.

Oh, my two cents. I don't see any full on full roleplay on ROF like I would see on BB or maybe even DOD. If people really start role playing and annoying others I could see a use for one but honestly at the moment I think it would do more harm than good.

like jay said you are just sitting in a house surrounded by lava or making a house/mining. you have nothing more to do than to chat or mine really and its really easy to tune out the talkative chat when mining or building and purple/green/cyan/red names usually get your attention if staff are trying to communicate with you.

• Agree
Reactions: Ahiya and Achieina

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
like jay said you are just sitting in a house surrounded by lava or making a house/mining. you have nothing more to do than to chat or mine really and its really easy to tune out the talkative chat when mining or building and purple/green/cyan/red names usually get your attention if staff are trying to communicate with you.
yesssssss

also I literally play RoF for 10 minutes once a month, buuuuuuuuuuuuut
Sounds to me like what we're asking for is an elitist chat and a commoner chat and I don't think that'd work out very well at all. If it's not actually "roleplay" (see: trapwolf's post) then does that mean you're too bothered by others' enthusiasm that it has to be separate from yours?

• Agree
Reactions: Ahiya

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
yesssssss

also I literally play RoF for 10 minutes once a month, buuuuuuuuuuuuut
Sounds to me like what we're asking for is an elitist chat and a commoner chat and I don't think that'd work out very well at all. If it's not actually "roleplay" (see: trapwolf's post) then does that mean you're too bothered by others' enthusiasm that it has to be separate from yours?
What I'm asking for is a chat people can go to, so they can give people who don't want to be involved but still want to chat, the ability to do so. Nothing "Elitist" or "Commoner" about it. Simply Clutter v. Peace. And again, it may not fall under your definition of Role Play but it is a form of it.

I don't mind enthusiasm, what I do mind is chat sometimes being filled with nonsensical garbage. Then again RoF has been that way for a while, hasn't it. How silly of me for suggesting something that, while it has been going on for a while, it seems to be dragging RoF down, to change.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
I don't mind enthusiasm, what I do mind is chat sometimes being filled with nonsensical garbage. Then again RoF has been that way for a while, hasn't it. How silly of me for suggesting something that, while it has been going on for a while, it seems to be dragging RoF down, to change.
I fail to see how roleplaying would drag RoF down to who knows where, but if players are using RP to pass the time then so let them be.

To be honest, it may be afk'ing that's dragging RoF down. Maybe it's just too easy to get cookies since nothing happens when people feel safe in the game? Who knows!?

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
I fail to see how roleplaying would drag RoF down to who knows where, but if players are using RP to pass the time then so let them be.

To be honest, it may be afk'ing that's dragging RoF down. Maybe it's just too easy to get cookies since nothing happens when people feel safe in the game? Who knows!?
The low level of maturity within the Role Play is what's dragging it down. Then again when has Role Play ever been mature. I'd much rather have a server that's full of AFK, untalkative people rather than the silly rp that sprouts.

And I'd probably "let them be" if, like I said before, it didn't flood the whole fucking chat.

Toiletprincess

The Eternal Dinosaur
Reaction score
Imo, we should either not change the chat at all or create a short command you can type to contact staff much easier - especially in the case of an overflowing chat - of grief, flooding, etc. Just a command, not a chat room so every time you need to use it you have to type the command -- only used for people to communicate easier with staff but only to be used as such.

Edit: Also, if there are people you want to seriously chat with go on IRC, TS or simply just PM them on the server or forums.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: Ahiya and Achieina

Achieina

Reaction score
The low level of maturity within the Role Play is what's dragging it down. Then again when has Role Play ever been mature. I'd much rather have a server that's full of AFK, untalkative people rather than the silly rp that sprouts.

And I'd probably "let them be" if, like I said before, it didn't flood the whole fucking chat.
I highly disagree. It's such a shame to see this kind of negative energy.

All I know is that many people love the Rof roleplay, and if you/others do not, you'll just have to live with it. I know for a fact that many people enjoy hanging out at these community builds, and I'm confident to say that it brings the player base together.

In addition, it attracts new players.
Imagine this : you are a new player on RoF
Literally there is no chat going on, you are told just to build a house, and sit in it until rounds end.
How boring is that?!

Does anyone else remember that dead time in RoF where there were about 2-8 players online at a time, no chat, no fun, and absolutely no player base? I know I do.

In another sense, I loved Classic Lava Survival. Classic Lava Survival was all about the roleplay, the fun, the builds, and the people. And if you didn't know, I'm trying to bring some of it back to RoF for those new players who weren't lucky to have experienced it.

To basically sum it up, RoF roleplay has done nothing BUT good to this community. Why toy with it now because "chat is filling up with nonsense"? Please don't ruin it for others. It brings new players in, drives the player base to work together and have fun together, and in all, it just brings the community closer than before.

Regards,
Achieina

Status
Not open for further replies.