Roleplay Channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahiya

Reaction score
Segregation of chats is no good in my opinion. As long as chat is within the bounds of the Global Community Rules and the RoF Rules, there shouldn't be any changes made to the status quo.

I myself participate in these "RP" (I wouldn't even label them RP myself, but I will for the purpose of this thread). I understand that sometimes chat can be filled with nothing but stuff from the community house/ice rink/Starbutts/spawnhouse. From my experiences, when situations do get chat heavy in these large community gatherings, I haven't seen any lash-outs from the players not participating in these events or problems from actual RoF staff. I have never seen or heard a staff member say, "Please tone down this RP chat," or anything of the sort. Also, from my observations, I don't see players who are not in the community gathering chatting about other topics to begin with. Should those people need the staff for an emergency, just use caps when push comes to shove. However, I did like ideas about commands to get staff's attention aforementioned in this thread.

Now, you've been hearing me say the term "community gathering" a lot in this post. That word is the one thing that brings RoF together and makes it an enjoyable experience for all. If new players came on and saw all of this life going on within the community gatherings, they would more likely stay for reasons I don't have to go in-depth about. This is pure contrast to a new player walking in and everyone afk'ing the round for cookies. This "RP" will bring more new players in the long run and having a separate chat for only "RP'ers" will make it confusing for new players and make the staff's job harder if let's say someone is in the other chat needing flood assistance.

All in all, something that a few don't enjoy should not be blocked off from the rest of the world just because it's "cluttering the chat." Maybe I would understand the other side's argument if and only if a small minority of the RoF population participated in these community gatherings rather than the current mass majority.

• Thank You
  • Agree
Reactions: Achieina and IQD

Ahiya

Reaction score
The problem with that is sometimes the RPs will start using caps repeatedly.
I don't like how you're already labeling people who participate in community gatherings like they're separate from normal players as "RPs." Second, please don't expect the worst from people; people will not use caps so liberally in order to talk over an emergency; that's frowned upon, especially if they know the rules. Also, should something like that occur, people capping over other cappers, then it's up to the staff to deal with the situation because it is their job, just like it has always been.

midnightgirl24

You're gonna have a bad time.
Reaction score
I don't like how you're already labeling people who participate in community gatherings like they're separate from normal players as "RPs." Second, please don't expect the worst from people; people will not use caps so liberally in order to talk over an emergency; that's frowned upon, especially if they know the rules. Also, should something like that occur, people capping over other cappers, then it's up to the staff to deal with the situation because it is their job, just like it has always been.
I'm not saying it like everyone does it. I only stated that it has happened on occasions. And I'm just using the term RP because that's what this thread was based on.

Edit: I'm the one who even said each side should compromise. I have said nothing negative about the people.

Edit again: I'm actually using the term rps for when you guys act out your places. There's nothing mean about it, and it's not meant to separate people.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: Ahiya
D

DarkHender

Should those people need the staff for an emergency, just use caps when push comes to shove.
If it is one line, maybe. But encouraging people to use caps for help isn't my ideal of a great solution during a busy chat. (see post above for my solutions)

The problem with that is sometimes the RPs will start using caps repeatedly.
I sometimes see this, no players usually complain and the staff deal with it accordingly.
*such as in wedding's I've seen*

oh and yes i really hate this label being roleplay. it isnt even close to being roleplay.

I don't like how you're already labeling people who participate in community gatherings like they're separate from normal players as "RPs." Second, please don't expect the worst from people; people will not use caps so liberally in order to talk over an emergency; that's frowned upon, especially if they know the rules.
Lets be nice, she's not pointing her direct finger at you. This WHOLE thread is labeling and calling people who are regulars in the starbucks/icerinks RP players. Try not to take it so harshy! There are different incidents where these have happened and players have been told to quiet down. (mostly weddings for what I notice or just random convresations, not exactly starbucks/icerink players).

it wouldnt let me quote the last msg and I'm too lazy to edit my responses in so halfassreply

• Thank You
Reactions: midnightgirl24

midnightgirl24

You're gonna have a bad time.
Reaction score
I'm not saying it like everyone does it. I only stated that it has happened on occasions. And I'm just using the term RP because that's what this thread was based on.

Edit: I'm the one who even said each side should compromise. I have said nothing negative about the people.

Edit again: I'm actually using the term rps for when you guys act out your places. There's nothing mean about it, and it's not meant to separate people.
I'd also like to make a note that I wrote this when I had just woken up, so I apologize for making it a bit confusing (if it is)

Reactions: 1 person

asaechao

─═☆The Blue Bird☆═─
Reaction score
Yesterday, others and I were talking about RolePlay, and a solution I thought would be the best is /ch l.

/ch l could work because people would still be able to RolePlay and not annoy those who think of it as "nonsense" or don't want to see chat "spammed." I believe you can toggle the radius, so if people get "annoyed" still, the radius can get lowered. @RonaldoSkillz was on at the time and said he would keep it in mind.

If this were to be added, a tip/global message could talk about it. An example:

[Tip] Want to talk with friends as you build together? Use /ch l!

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Right, let's get started on this, shall we?

Excuse this post if it is irrelevant since I have never heard this thing called roleplaying. But after a brief search on my browser, I believe roleplaying is acting as a character, another person, or staging out conversations as another person or entity.

This interests me. How such a simple concept could cause an explosively reactive thread like this. It is my belief that after that browser search I mentioned before cosplaying also ties in fairly close with roleplaying. Having a separate roleplaying/cosplaying channel, whether it be a subchannel on RoF's TeamSpeak channel, or just a different /ch channel in general is an interesting concept, but to be honest, if I was staff, I would have trouble both justifying this concept in positive and negative ways. It's like one of those things that is cool, but is there bad reasons it should not be put in or good reasons it should be put in? To me, neither.

My personal opinion is just have a general cosplaying/roleplaying channel on TeamSpeak, and if such a thing is popular enough (although I highly doubt it because I have never seen that much roleplaying/cosplaying) have subchannels under this channel.

Have a good day, ladies and gents.

SnapFlash, out.

JtTorso

Reaction score
Here's my professional opinion; keep it out of the main chat, doesn't matter what server your on, no one except the group doing it wants to hear it. It's annoying for those who want to enjoy the game as is and it spams the chat. This used to be a particularly big problem for Build Box, so much so that rules were put in place. I don't play RoF so I can't speak as though I've seen it on the server, but an annoyance is an annoyance, I've got nothing against people do role play, and I've got nothing against role playing, but there's a time and place for everything. Either take it to teamspeak, or as the suggestion suggests, give them their own channel.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Right, let's get started on this, shall we?

Excuse this post if it is irrelevant since I have never heard this thing called roleplaying. But after a brief search on my browser, I believe roleplaying is acting as a character, another person, or staging out conversations as another person or entity.

This interests me. How such a simple concept could cause an explosively reactive thread like this. It is my belief that after that browser search I mentioned before cosplaying also ties in fairly close with roleplaying. Having a separate roleplaying/cosplaying channel, whether it be a subchannel on RoF's TeamSpeak channel, or just a different /ch channel in general is an interesting concept, but to be honest, if I was staff, I would have trouble both justifying this concept in positive and negative ways. It's like one of those things that is cool, but is there bad reasons it should not be put in or good reasons it should be put in? To me, neither.

My personal opinion is just have a general cosplaying/roleplaying channel on TeamSpeak, and if such a thing is popular enough (although I highly doubt it because I have never seen that much roleplaying/cosplaying) have subchannels under this channel.

Have a good day, ladies and gents.

SnapFlash, out.
only nerds use ts tho

Achieina

Reaction score
Here's my professional opinion; keep it out of the main chat, doesn't matter what server your on, no one except the group doing it wants to hear it. It's annoying for those who want to enjoy the game as is and it spams the chat. This used to be a particularly big problem for Build Box, so much so that rules were put in place. I don't play RoF so I can't speak as though I've seen it on the server, but an annoyance is an annoyance, I've got nothing against people do role play, and I've got nothing against role playing, but there's a time and place for everything. Either take it to teamspeak, or as the suggestion suggests, give them their own channel.
JtTorso, an extra RP channel would be added work for the operators. Take into account of what cooliorules said.

Plus, I'd like to add that the community builds and such hardly count as "RP", and as it is, the "RP" problem doesn't cause too much spam. The "RP" (if you can even call it that) that a few of the players have been complaining about is pretty much chat on a busy day... like on a weekend or the late-ish afternoon and such.

Most people enjoy the "RP", and the "group" you're referring to is pretty much 50-80% of the server.

With all due respect, this "RP" problem has been highly exaggerated, as most of the RoF staff seem to say that it is no serious problem at all. Or at least, the "roleplaying" is not a problem worth all the fuss about. Simply, this thread has blown it out of proportion. You said it yourself that you aren't a normal RoF visitor, which is why I could easily understand that you've never been to a community build, or as some would like to call it, "RP". Well, you see, these builds and "RP" is a major part of RoF. It makes up a huge part of the social aspect... and I'm not saying that RoF is all social, but it is important too, so it would make no sense to keep it out of main chat.

Achieina

JtTorso

Reaction score
JtTorso, an extra RP channel would be added work for the operators. Take into account of what cooliorules said.

Most people enjoy the "RP", and the "group" you're referring to is pretty much 50-80% of the server.
Not to invalidate coolio's opinion, but surely every server has both a main channel and and op channel? If you count those, then technically DoD has three channels and Infection has four, and while on their best days they can surpass the numbers of players RoF has I can't help but feel 'it's too much work" to be kind of a bad reason against it, even if it is, so what? Wouldn't a compromise be the best option anyway?

As for this 50-80%, I'm not entirely sure your point.
So what if only a few people chose to voice their negative feeling on the topic? Obviously someone felt strongly enough to have discussion on what they felt was an issue.

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
This discussion is getting out of hand and I'm going to stop it here. Bottom line is that a chat specifically for roleplay isn't going to get added because as Sploorky mentioned, it will only serve as a temporary solution and won't actually solve anything to this "problem". I will, however, consider adding in /ch l because it is a much better and more recognizable solution to things like this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.